• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is the super stable 3D on the New 3DS and New 3DS XL?

Well, to start, right now I use an original 3DS XL. I have been thinking of upgrading to a New 3DS XL. I like the bigger screen better than the original size, but if for some reason the New 3DS has a better 3D effect than the New 3DS XL, I would consider looking for the regular size one.

The added depth helps some games, and I would like to use the 3D more, so I'm wondering if it has really been improved on the New 3DS XL. I saw a GameStop that had about 5 of the gold Zelda N3DS XLs. I saw a demo N3DS XL in a BestBuy but I don't think the system would turn on, so I didn't get to see it in action myself.

I've heard some systems have different screens, either IPS or TN and that the IPS screen is the "better" one and might display 3D better.

Here's the current issue: When I turn 3D on, sometimes there are double-images which I guess you could call ghosting, because they are a bit more transparent than the primary image. I don't think it looks blurry because I'm not in the sweet spot, so I'm not sure if the face tracking would actually help.

So how is the stereoscopic 3D on the New 3DS (XL)? Is it super stable and actually better than the OG 3DS systems?

It's fantastic imo. I pretty much have to try to lose the 3D effect, it's that stable. You can move that shit all over the place and it still won't break.

Sakujou

Banned
its better than the 3ds, but i have trouble having stable 3d in the dark.

am i the only one?

i also heard the facecam has trouble facing dark skinned peoples faces.
since i dont know anyone with a n3ds i hope GAF could provide some info.

It's great. I never used it on my original but with the new 3DS I use it all the time. No double images, just a clear 3D picture.

My only issue is that you have to keep a certain distance from the screen or the eye tracking messes up and the screen flickers a lot whenever you move a little. So you can't be too close to the screen. But other than that I really like it.

So long as you're not moshing, you probably wont notice it blurring at all.

(Aside from the standard, "3D isn't perfect" blur that you get when things get to a certain depth)

brinstar

I was actually really surprised at how well it works. The one I tried in the store didn't work well for me at all but when I finally got my own it ended up really impressing me. I went from barely using the 3D at all to using it whenever I can on games where it doesn't tank the performance or cause ghosting.

xjMnNoE.gif

Sora_N

its better than the 3ds, but i have trouble having stable 3d in the dark.

am i the only one?

i also heard the facecam has trouble facing dark skinned peoples faces.
since i dont know anyone with a n3ds i hope GAF could provide some info.

Yes my room has bad lighting and I notice it. You need decent lighting. Overall the 3d works better though.

Dizzy

Banned
It works great. Far better than without it. You can turn your head a bit and it stays wih you.

Not as good in the dark because then the camera can't tell, plus you have that annoying red camera light then. Not a major problem though.

Giever

It's generally better. I turn it off if I'm going to be playing in relative darkness, though, since it has more trouble with that and I find that minor flicker that comes with the switching when it thinks the angle has changed enough to be more bothersome than having to keep it properly in place.

I wish there was a quicker way to access the toggle than going into the actual settings menu (since I have to save and close my game to get in there). Would be nice if there was an option for it in the quick settings with brightness and such.

Radnom

It's OK, but not great. Definitely better than the original implementation. It seems to lose my face quite often if I wear glasses, and if I'm lying down and playing 3DS then it has a lot of problems. You still have to have your head mostly aligned with the 3DS. It occasionally loses my face and has to recalibrate, and flicks back and forth between different angles, which is really gross. The original 3DS implementation was terrible, and this is definitely a huge step up, but the problems still make it too uncomfortable to reliably leave 3D on.

It's not perfect. If you look away, even briefly, the system goes WOAH WERE'D YOU GO!?!? and it takes a couple of seconds to find your face again. That, and there's always some edge on the screen or other that has a semi-transparent duplicate of the image, as if the angle is off by just a couple of degrees and the 3D effects is breaking ever so slightly. It's not noticeable sometimes but when you see it it's kinda annoying. It also has a pretty hard time picking up your face if you're in a poorly lit area.

That said, it does work really well and makes playing on 3D viable. The few experiences I had with the OG 3DS were a lot less positive given that the 3D effect tended to work only with a really narrow field of view.

Glix

Its great, however...

Imo it is the ONE thing better about XL. I think its just a function of the sweet spot being so much larger on XL but it loses me more often on my non-xl. Still doesnt lose me that often overall tho

Edit - about your ghosting, could be dirty screen/protector... But most of the time on my old 3ds i would find that turning the brightness down a notch or lowering the 3d slider slightly or a combo of the two would clear it right up

To your concern, there is still some ghosting. I like the super stable 3D - it holds the effect better, but if something in the ambient lighting isn't quite right, it can get thrown off and have to correct, which means one minute I'm battling something in Majora's Mask and then the screen gets super blurry for a second or two, then looks perfect again. I don't know if it's some ambient infrared source when I play at night or what, but it's irritating when it happens. That said, I still prefer it versus having to hold my head so still. And I do love that 3D effect...

Not sure if there's a difference between the two New 3DS sizes, only have the XL.

Anteo

I wear glasses, sometimes its off (especially in the dark). And it is off moving your face will not correct it as you are moving whatever point its using as reference as well. So at that point is worse than the old one, but most of the time is better

Its great, however...

Imo it is the ONE thing better about XL. I think its just a function of the sweet spot being so much larger on XL but it loses me more often on my non-xl. Still doesnt lose me that often overall tho

I just want to second this. I really noticed the smaller 3DS being way more picky about how far I was from the screen. If you don't mind the size and weight go with the XL.

Regiruler

It's awful. It jitters too much.

It's better disabled. I don't understand why keeping the system still is so difficult for people.

M3d10n

It works really well for me (no glasses). No need to hold the 3DS centered on my face, it just works. It also works in the dark, the N3DS has an IR camera and an IR LED for night-view.

I had to adjust the manual calibration on the settings, however.

bobawesome

It's better than the initial models but in my experience it stinks if the lighting in your room is poor because there's a constant flicker as it tries to compensate.

It's generally better. I turn it off if I'm going to be playing in relative darkness, though, since it has more trouble with that and I find that minor flicker that comes with the switching when it thinks the angle has changed enough to be more bothersome than having to keep it properly in place.

I wish there was a quicker way to access the toggle than going into the actual settings menu (since I have to save and close my game to get in there). Would be nice if there was an option for it in the quick settings with brightness and such.

What toggle are you talking about? Can you turn the face-tracking off or something?

Faustek

It's fantastic imo. I pretty much have to try to lose the 3D effect, it's that stable. You can move that shit all over the place and it still won't break.

Exactly the reverse for me. Need to take stone statue mode else it's lost.
I've tried with 3 different n3DS systems and it still sucks. Seems to be a delay in the tracking because it does come back on track but the time in between feels like forever and everything is lost to me.

BratmanDu

Got my n3dsXl about a year ago, played all of link between worlds with 3d on the entire time, and I'm 85 hours into xenoblade 3d, haven't turned 3d off at all, and i don't think I'd have appreciated xenoblade as much without the 3d.

So how is the stereoscopic 3D on the New 3DS (XL)? Is it super stable and actually better than the OG 3DS systems?

whiterabbit:

If you play 3DS the upgrade to a New3DS is almost manadatory. Not only the stereoscopic effect works a lot better but the experience overall is improved since the system also features an upgraded CPU and more memory.

The 3D effect works so well that is possible to use motion aiming in the games that support it withouth braking the 3D effect.

i decided on a normal size New 3DS since the screens have better DPI (thus a more crisp image) and it's a lot more portable. Also the interchangeable faceplate are incredible for thoser people that are into customizing their systems.

pokemoncoverplatesn.jpg

Kadin

I still get the occasional ghosting on my N3DS XL but it does a great job of keeping the 3D image locked with the tracking compred to the O3DS. With that said, I still turn it off about 90% of the time because of the ghosting (and battery drain).

DPB

I've only used the New 3DS, but the ghosting is only really noticeable for me when there's a very dark background, like in some levels of Donkey Kong Country Returns.

I've found that original games tend to be better than ports for this, since they don't use high contrast as much.

ArmageddB

Huge improvement. Would recommend.

og 3DS: Never turned 3D on
new 3ds: Never turned 3D off - it even works while using motion controls!

Got my n3dsXl about a year ago, played all of link between worlds with 3d on the entire time, and I'm 85 hours into xenoblade 3d, haven't turned 3d off at all, and i don't think I'd have appreciated xenoblade as much without the 3d.

A Link Between Worlds is one of the few 3DS games I played with 3D on all the way.

whiterabbit:

If you play 3DS the upgrade to a New3DS is almost manadatory. Not only the stereoscopic effect works a lot better but the experience overall is improved since the system also features an upgraded CPU and more memory.

The 3D effect works so well that is possible to use motion aiming in the games that support it withouth braking the 3D effect.

i decided on a normal size New 3DS since the screens have better DPI (thus a more crisp image) and it's a lot more portable. Also the interchangeable faceplate are incredible for thoser people that are into customizing their systems.

pokemoncoverplatesn.jpg

Of course I play 3DS, that's why I made this thread. It's my main hobby.

My 3DS XL from 2012 is still functioning great.

I get that the smaller screen looks a little crisper. I actually have a regular 3DS and a 2DS as well. I have found that I enjoy playing on my 3DS XL more, especially some stylus puzzle games which I don't think I would be able to play on the smaller touchscreen.

The N3DS also reads amiibo and it might be a good time to upgrade my SD card. From this thread it seems like the 3D has been improved a bit. Thinking of getting this one:

117419b.jpg

Top Bottom