• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is the super stable 3D on the New 3DS and New 3DS XL?

Saladinoo

Threads like this really make me wish I had two normal eyes so I could have binocular vision and actually see 3D.

Anyone else chilling with a new 3ds with monocular vision?

Threads like this really make me wish I had two normal eyes so I could have binocular vision and actually see 3D.

No, I just have to wear glasses for things far away like watching TV or movies, or driving.

There are plenty of great games that are good to play in 2D or don't even have 3D at all.

M3d10n

Well, with the N3DSXL you can at least get 6 hours of battery life.

The Lamp

I don't experience the super stable 3D people talk about. The new3DS I bought breaks the 3D at slight movements. It's really fucking annoying.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Perfect for me, and well worth the upgrade. Being able to play Starfox 64 in 3D with gyro controls is pure bliss.

That said, I never turn the slider up more than 40% because the crosstalk becomes too annoying, that is an issue that will never be fixed on the 3DS.

Perfect for me, and well worth the upgrade. Being able to play Starfox 64 in 3D with gyro controls is pure bliss.

That said, I never turn the slider up more than 40% because the crosstalk becomes too annoying, that is an issue that will never be fixed on the 3DS.

Yeah, I was thinking the way the 3D effect is generated creates it and there's nothing they can do about it unless they change the way it is displayed. I was wondering just how the "New" 3DS changed it... I'm still not sure how it works.

georly

I've had to turn it off because it doesn't work when I'm playing in the dark in bed at night (most of my game time on it) and in ridiculously bright areas. It works in normal lighting really well, though. I have glasses, too, so that might affect it working in bright areas.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah, I was thinking the way the 3D effect is generated creates it and there's nothing they can do about it unless they change the way it is displayed. I was wondering just how the "New" 3DS changed it... I'm still not sure how it works.

New 3DS uses head tracking via the top screen camera to ensure the 3D sweet spot moves in accordance with the user. On old models the sweet spot had a very narrow range directly in front of the screen. Now you can twist and turn the screen and as long as the camera can see your face, the 3D effect will not break. Makes gyro aiming so much better and means those included AR games are now actually playable.

bomblord1

Banned
What do you think all those stability updates have been doing?
Yes, it's surprisingly good the normal range of motion I have playing games I doesn't even shake the 3D unlike the previous modes. I still find ghosting and or cross talk though if I hold it too far away or extremely close.

I don't want to get rid the best 3DSXL design of all time

legend-of-zelda-nintend-3ds-xl-bundle.jpg

Kosen

Neo Member
How would you people rank the 3D effect of the different models?
I'm quite used to my o3DS and usually play with 3D on, but when I use my gf's o3DS XL I always turn it off because I can't get comfortable with it and end up turning it off.

FaintDeftone

I always disabled the 3D on the OG 3DS/XL because I could never keep it in the sweet spot and it drove me nuts. When I upgraded to a New3DS I actually keep it on since it does a good job at tracking my face and keeping it in focus. Definitely an improvement.

I didn't notice a difference between the New3DS and New3DSXL though. They both gave me little to no problems keeping the 3D focused.

SerTapTap

It's much better, but still a bit wonky. Doesn't work right for me if I use glasses, in some lighting conditions. I still leave it off all the time. It's gone from a migraine to a headache.

I wonder how much the truly bizarre IPS/not display makes a difference though. Not all N3DSes have the same screen type.

Dunkley

For me it turned a gimmick into a fantastic console feature. 3D was so inconvenient on the OG 3DS due to requiring a constant perfect viewing angle to see, however that is completely fixed in N3DS and really shows how great the feature can be.

Never really used it on OG 3DS except to see that it's there, use it almost constantly on the N3DS.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
You don't have to worry about keeping your 3DS still and can tilt it around a bit without 3D effect breaking. Definitely makes the 3D more usable and less annoying.

Only problems I had were when I looked away from the screen, when I look back it takes about a second to readjust. Also sometimes in low lighting it can have problems tracking your face (the red light/IR whatever it is doesn't do the best job).

I made this topic because I tried "Rusty's Real Deal Baseball," a little collection of baseball mini-games.

I was playing the first game I got for 2 bucks, where you press A to hit baseballs with your bat as they are pitched at you.

I turned up my 3D to see if I could get the timing right, and the best way I found was to turn the 3D all the way up so I could see the most depth.

However, with the 3D all the way turned up on my 3DS XL, the picture got very blurry and also created some ghost double-images (crosstalk I guess).

So naturally I was wondering if the 3D would be improved on a New 3DS...but the problem was NOT losing the sweet spot.

zigg

Yes my room has bad lighting and I notice it. You need decent lighting. Overall the 3d works better though.
Wait, doesn't yours have the little infrared light thing that turns on when it gets dark? I have more trouble when there's too much light in the room.

tauke

I absolutely use it all the time (unless the battery is weak which I switch off the 3D).

Like others has said, the eye tracking has issue if you're playing near to it where it flickers a lot until it lock onto your eyes properly.

It even works in the dark!

BriGuy

It works better, but the 3D still looks "watery" if that makes any sense. I still prefer to leave it off entirely.

It works better, but the 3D still looks "watery" if that makes any sense. I still prefer to leave it off entirely.

I know exactly what you mean. There is this shimmery look to the screen with the 3D on.

The 3D effect in NSMB2 just makes the background look like that and doesn't add much depth to the game, so I always just left it off.

More stable, but still has the ghosting/double image problem on scenes with any kind of contrast that's inherent to the technology, so I turn it off.

Haven't had too much time on a n3DS but I think it was about the same in high contrast scenes as the original, the ghost houses in 3D Land were the worst for that.
Not sure what causes it whether it's the barrier not blocking 100% of the light, or the image bouncing out another way.

Agree, the ghosting/double image is still pretty irritating.

Still there? I was just looking on my Home screen and taking a look at a folder, and there was a very clear double image I could see with the 3D on. So annoying and I was hoping they fixed that. :\

Intel_89

It's a lot better, you can actually move around a bit and the 3d effect still works because of the way it readjusts itself through the New 3ds frontal camera.

Well, to start, right now I use an original 3DS XL. I have been thinking of upgrading to a New 3DS XL. I like the bigger screen better than the original size, but if for some reason the New 3DS has a better 3D effect than the New 3DS XL, I would consider looking for the regular size one.

The added depth helps some games, and I would like to use the 3D more, so I'm wondering if it has really been improved on the New 3DS XL. I saw a GameStop that had about 5 of the gold Zelda N3DS XLs. I saw a demo N3DS XL in a BestBuy but I don't think the system would turn on, so I didn't get to see it in action myself.

I've heard some systems have different screens, either IPS or TN and that the IPS screen is the "better" one and might display 3D better.

Here's the current issue: When I turn 3D on, sometimes there are double-images which I guess you could call ghosting, because they are a bit more transparent than the primary image. I don't think it looks blurry because I'm not in the sweet spot, so I'm not sure if the face tracking would actually help.

So how is the stereoscopic 3D on the New 3DS (XL)? Is it super stable and actually better than the OG 3DS systems?

The 3D of the OG was better than OGXL. The OGXL, could not keep the effect and always had these wavy shimmer lines that interrupted the effect of the 3D, even if you hit a button, while playing.
The OG regular had no issue, just a sweet spot.

The NXL 3D is sublime. It has tons of depth and if you end up with an IPS panel, it holds steady with no screen interruption and a phenomal range of viewing angles. I really, really am impressed with the 3D on the NXL - much more than my Nregular.

The small New, well - the image is sharper - but the 3D is balls, maybe it's the TN? The TN seems to have a less stable viewing and motion for 3D, than its larger counter part and it's less impactful. It's functional, but the effect is a downgrade do to the size (immersion and depth) and screen tech quality.

You gain better image - but the impact and viewing of 3D is lesser on the New small, compared to NXL.

I just upgraded to a New 3DS XL a few days ago (the Hyrule Edition) and I am very impressed with how improved the 3D is. I very rarely lose the 3D effect and occasionally I move my head from side-to-side just to test it haha. It's solid. It's not perfect, mind you, as there do seem to be some issues while playing in the complete dark, but it's far from being a big problem. If you like playing with the 3D on (like I do), you'll be more than pleased with how far it's come along.

Overall, I highly recommend the upgrade. I don't regret it at all. Go for it!

hatchx

Banned
The New 3DS improves the 3D drastically. It's fantastic.

Ghosting will always be a thing with it though. Certain games are better than others. I found games like Star Fox 3D and Majoras Mask really engrossing.

IzzyF3

It's a lot better than the original 3ds/XL, but I still don't use it. I'm happy to be playing Hyrule Warriors at a higher performance, but I still think I wasted my money upgrading.

So what's the conclusion Whiterabbit? XD

I don't have a conclusion yet. I'm still trying to decide. I bought Mutant Mudds Super Challenge yesterday and played way too much, and sometimes my hands hurt if I play too much. So I'm just trying to take it easy and relax. I will certainly bump this thread if I buy a New 3DS eventually.

It's fantastic. Bought the new 3ds xl as my legacy 3ds system mostly for the stable 3D, as I use it for every game and it's always worked great.

I got one of the Fire Emblem ones and it's been amazing. It actually made me interested in playing games on the system, whereas before it was sort of something I put up with to play the games I wanted to play.

MrXavier

I've got an IPS panel, N3DSXL. I also wear glasses and I find the super stable 3d to be extremely hit or miss. When you combine night time + glasses, It's almost unusable since it constantly tries to adjust and you get this terrible ghost/double image. When I wear contacts then the tracking works almost perfectly.

It always screws with up with my glasses, which is incredibly disappointing. I've actually contemplated turning it off (the super-stable feature, not the 3D itself) a couple of times, although I ultimately always leave it on.

If I take off my glasses it's perfect, except for the fact that I can't really see anything :/

I've got an IPS panel, N3DSXL. I also wear glasses and I find the super stable 3d to be extremely hit or miss. When you combine night time + glasses, It's almost unusable since it constantly tries to adjust and you get this terrible ghost/double image. When I wear contacts then the tracking works almost perfectly.

It always screws with up with my glasses, which is incredibly disappointing. I've actually contemplating turning it off (the super-stable feature, not the 3D itself) a couple of times, although I ultimately always leave it on.

If I take off my glasses it's perfect, except for the fact that I can't really see anything :/
Something is amiss here.

What type of lens those glasses have? Playing in similar conditions as you describe (low light/glasses on) the tracking works adequately. In fact it amazes me that that little IR emitter helps so much in those conditions. XD

i think the lens are reflecting too much light thus making it fuzzy and hard for the camera to discern facial features.

Top Bottom