• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is the super stable 3D on the New 3DS and New 3DS XL?

RedShift

It's pretty good.

Sometimes if I'm wearing glasses in certain lights it can freak out a bit, I think lights reflecting off my glasses screws up the tracking.

Apart from that it's a big improvement over the old 3ds.

Something is amiss here.

What type of lens those glasses have? Playing in similar conditions as you describe (low light/glasses on) the tracking works adequately. In fact it amazes me that that little IR emitter helps so much in does conditions. XD

i think the lens are reflecting too much light thus making it fuzzy and hard for the camera to discern facial features.

I should have mentioned—I don't have any anti-reflective coating on my lenses, which according to my optician makes them smudge less easily. I suspect this is part of the problem.

Blueblur1

I have one and it works well for me the few times I've used the system.

Since we're on the topic of the New 3DS XL I have a quick question: Has anyone had problems updating the Zelda New 3DS XL using Comcast Internet? I've tried over a dozen times and ended up exchanging the system for another and the same thing still happens. I've been meaning to go to my sister's to try it there (she has a different provider) but have been too lazy.

It's 1000 times better. I eventually stopped using 3D on the original 3DS (and the XL successor). Once I got a New 3DS XL, I started using 3D again and was super impressed with how well it worked.

As others have said, I do occasionally lose the effect if I'm wearing my glasses. Since I'm near-sighted, I can just take them off and still see. I realize this might not be the case for everyone.

Pros and cons of currently upgrading to a New 3DS XL:

Pros

- Enhanced super stable 3D with face tracking
- Able to read amiibo figures
- C-stick and new R & L triggers
- Can use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a micro SD card
- Faster processor

Cons

-Have to open it up and use a screwdriver to change SD cards
-Can't transfer back to original 3DS family of systems
-Could save money and wait for news on Nintendo NX
-Old 3DS XL still works fine and I like the design/color
-Using the front of the system too much for things like card slot, power button, and stylus

Pros and cons of currently upgrading to a New 3DS XL:

Pros

- Enhanced super stable 3D with face tracking
- Able to read amiibo figures
- C-stick and new R & L triggers
- Can use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a micro SD card
- Faster processor

* Battery life is better on both New models.
* The New Normal size has interchangeable face plates.
* We have now a few games that run a lot better in the New Model.
* SNES emulation.

Also the CPU and Memory upgrade translates in various advantages:

* Faster Download times.
*Miiverse is actually usable. Even if you are not into Miiverse it's is usefull because is the better way to share and view 3DS screencaps due to actually having the option to view them in stereo3D.
* You can view 3D videos on Youtube.
* THe cameras have better capture quality also.
Cons

-Have to open it up and use a screwdriver to change SD cards
-Can't transfer back to original 3DS family of systems
-Could save money and wait for news on Nintendo NX
-Old 3DS XL still works fine and I like the design/color
-Using the front of the system too much for things like card slot, power button, and stylus
Most of your cons are very subjective. Why would you want to go to the originals? Specially if you are inclined to XL models?

How often did you changed memory cards? With a 64GB you' ll probably run out of number of games to install than out of capacity.

About waiting for the NX. What's the point? We don't know anything about the system or how it will handle backwwards compatibility.

If you are into playing 3DS games there's no point in waiting months to save a few dollars when you can have the best playable experience today. Try to recoup some capital by selling the old models and jump into this.

* Battery life is better on both New models.
* The New Normal size has interchangeable face plates.
* We have now a few games that run a lot better in the New Model.
* SNES emulation.

Also the CPU and Memory upgrade translates in various advantages:

* Faster Download times.
*Miiverse is actually usable. Even if you are not into Miiverse it's is usefull because is the better way to share and view 3DS screencaps due to actually having the option to view them in stereo3D.
* You can view 3D videos on Youtube.
* THe cameras have better capture quality also.

Most of your cons are very subjective. Why would you want to go to the originals? Specially if you are inclined to XL models?

How often did you changed memory cards? With a 64GB you' ll probably run out of number of games to install than out of capacity.

About waiting for the NX. What's the point? We don't know anything about the system or how it will handle backwwards compatibility.

If you are into playing 3DS games there's no point in waiting months to save a few dollars when you can have the best playable experience today. Try to recoup some capital by selling the old models and jump into this.

I have a 16GB SD card that is almost full. I've done a system transfer between my systems at least 5 times. I might transfer back to my OG 3DS to see if I can still play my stylus games on it.

In the US, the regular size new 3DS has only been released as special editions, and I think it's hard to find and more expensive than how much it's worth.

If I wait for NX I can have extra money to spend on the system and games.

blogger-image--1091430947.jpg

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
On my original XL I could barely use it for games that caused you to move the console a bit, with the New3DS I have 3D slider on almost all the time.

I never used the 3D on the O3DS. Ever.

It's almost never off on my new 3DS. (Only reason I turn it off is if the game has a big performance issue with it on, like Pokemon or DKC Returns)

It's really that better.

It's useful, but I haven't used Stable 3D since the start of it because it would have occasional flickers as it was adjusting to where my eyes were. Probably because of my glasses.

KHlover

Banned
I get headaches from the 3DS 3D so I pretty much never use it, but it's WAY better than the original implementation.

It definitely doesn't work well for me when I'm laying down in bed and/or not in a well lit room. Otherwise, it works perfectly.

On my original XL I could barely use it for games that caused you to move the console a bit, with the New3DS I have 3D slider on almost all the time.
Having the ability to use motion aiming within games such as Ocarina, Majora or Revelations without bracking the 3D effect was a significant step up in the quality of the experience. The games felt both more functional and inmersive with this little perk alone.

Star Fox 64 3D has the option to use the gyro to control the ship, with the New 3Ds it works quite well with the 3D on. As a control method it feels very satisfying for flying vehicles. If only Pilot Wings with it's fantastic sense of depth could have implemented a similar system XD

i remember there was a big videogame chain that was receiving original 3DSes for about a 100 and you paid up the difference. Totally worth it for someone that likes to play this device. A no brainer really.

Jedi2016

The only thing I've noticed is that, depending on how you hold it, it may stop doing the head-tracking. I think it happens when you don't really move much, the system may think it's been set down on a table or something. Seems to happen more when I'm playing in bed, with the system resting on my chest. I can see the IR light turn off and it starts getting a teensy bit wonky, but nowhere near as bad as the OG unit was. As soon as I give the system a wiggle, it turns the IR light back on and instantly locks back onto me.

I have noticed that because the XL screen is larger, the 3D can be "deeper" (due to higher separation), sometimes more than what seems right for the game. I spend most of my time playing with it turned down to about 2/3, seems to feel right for most everything I've played.

Top Bottom