• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - Official Multiplayer Beta Tips

Yeah looks really good. Only bit I'm not sure about is the active reload thing, I still think it should be limited to the quicker reload being the only benefit. Looking forward to giving it a try on Monday though. The improved fluidity of movement is really appreciated too, being able to climb up a ledge/clamber over cover without stopping is nice.

nib95

Banned
Go play something with graphics that you like if that's how shallow you are i'm all in for the gameplay. Your type of graphical "snobbery" is like a cancer theses days.

It's not graphics snobbery, it's one of the core reasons people buy new consoles in the first place. If graphics and tech didn't matter, Gears of War 4 would be releasing on the Xbox 360 instead.

Go play something with graphics that you like if that's how shallow you are i'm all in for the gameplay. Your type of graphical "snobbery" is like a cancer theses days.

God forbid a Gears of War game look great AND play well. You know, like Gears 3.

Dont get mad at me cuz you have no standards

m23

The close quarter combat stuff seems really cool, can't wait to try it out. I wonder how much it'll change up the game.

Warxard

Banned
God forbid a Gears of War game look great AND play well. You know, like Gears 3.

It's Pre-Alpha build, I thought? I mean the devs are stressing that this is a build just to test gameplay balancing and not some promo beta like DOOM/Battleborn was

leeh

It's not graphics snobbery, it's one of the core reasons people buy new consoles in the first place. If graphics and tech didn't matter, Gears of War 4 would be releasing on the Xbox 360 instead.
You sound like Don Mattrick.

It looks great and is 1080/60 while being a beta.

You know they didn't just rename the Gears 2 executable "Gears 3" to make it magically look better, they had to put a good amount of work in to achieve those graphics. Work that was put in over the course of the development period, which hasn't yet concluded for Gears 4. Judge the game on polish when it launches.

nib95

Banned
You sound like Don Mattrick.

It looks great and is 1080/60 while being a beta.

Don Mattrick how?

Also, is it actually 1080p?. It certainly doesn't look it based on the footage so far, though I appreciate it's difficult to gauge until we get direct PNG captures.

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0001.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0003.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0006.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0008.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0002.jpg

Memory

Don Mattrick how?

Also, is it actually 1080p?. It certainly doesn't look it based on the footage so far, though I appreciate it's difficult to gauge until we get direct PNG captures.

Its 720 for the beta, will be 1080 for the real thing.

leeh

Don Mattrick how?

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0001.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0003.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0006.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0008.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0002.jpg
No clue, I ran with your 360 comment.

I'm in agreement with you there, those don't look 1080p. Looks horizontally scaled to me.

Edit: Actually, looking at more and sticking my face into my screen I'm not too sure.

krang

I really wish games would stop unnecessarily targeting 1080p.

I'm yet to be convinced anything on the XB1 looks better than Ryse, and that was released at launch!

I wish we could stop with that...

If this really is a Alpha, then call it a Alpha and not Beta.

They literally said it's an alpha, but called it a BETA because it's an understood term.

I wish we could stop with trying to call devs liars.

I mean it is misleading and I sorta wish it was called an alpha, but this IS an alpha build regardless of the name they chcose to market it as.

krang

They literally said it's an alpha, but called it a BETA because it's an understood term.

I mean it is misleading and I sorta wish it was called an alpha, but this IS an alpha build regardless of the name they chcose to market it as.

Could be an alpha client test, with a beta server test. Mixing it up.

Trup1aya

I wish we could stop with that...

If this really is a Alpha, then call it a Alpha and not Beta.

I think it's a beta in terms of the multiplayer design and netcode.

They are using an alpha build to beta test things like weapon balancing, weapons placement, spawn times etc...

nib95

Banned

Its 720 for the beta, will be 1080 for the real thing.

As in upscaled or reconstructed to 1080p, or actual native 1080p? Because there's a very big distinction, especially in actual appearance and clarity. Lest we forget Aaron Greenberg said all Xbox One games are 1080p, which they theoretically are, albeit in a misleading way. Tbh, I don't think targeting 1080p/60fps is remotely sensible, especially for the Xbox One. 900p/60fps would at least allow them push slightly better visuals.

Trup1aya

Don't know how I feel about the "competitive active reload". Seems strange to be able to queue the damage boost, without having to actually reload. I'd imagine that at competitive levels, players will always nail it.

I wonder if the damage boost even needs to be a thing... Otherwise, I like the new and old features.

nOoblet16

But it wouldn't be 60FPS.
Even if this looks like Gears 3 it runs at 1080P and 60FPS, which makes it superior.

leeh

I think it's a beta in terms of the multiplayer design and netcode.

They are using an alpha build to beta test things like weapon balancing, weapons placement, spawn times etc...
That's not how any of this works I'm afraid.

When it hits alpha it means it's feature complete, the phases after that are based on defect counts and entry/exit criteria defined by the developers which could basically be anything.

You don't have alpha/beta for different components of the game or any piece of software.

Although, if their developing in an agile methodology everything I said above is null and void.

aBarreras

This makes more sense

Its not rocket science, is a freaking beta using an alpha build, simple as that

That's not how any of this works I'm afraid.

When it hits alpha it means it's feature complete, the phases after that are based on defect counts and entry/exit criteria defined by the developers which could basically be anything.

You don't have alpha/beta for different components of the game or any piece of software.

well they are saying is a Pre-Alpha build, so you can rest easy :)

Don't know how I feel about the "competitive active reload". Seems strange to be able to queue the damage boost, without having to actually reload. I'd imagine that at competitive levels, players will always nail it.

I wonder if the damage boost even needs to be a thing... Otherwise, I like the new and old features.

I think the way they implemented is ok, once you use an active reload you enter a cooldown period where you cant active reload at all, so you can really be active reloading all the time, you really need to make sure you will go into a fight before using active reload, if you use it and you take too long to enter a fight it and it enters in cooldown you will be at disvantage

aBarreras

Source? Especially when one of the guys from Coalition said it was a true beta.

I think the bigger concern is people talking about graphics of a pre-alpha version of the game, and a beta that is unfinished in terms of graphics and mechanically. Its as if people dont know what a MP beta is trying to do. A true beta is for feedback on how to make the game better for launch in terms of gameplay and bugs

This is from Gears mod team

"Please keep in mind that's a pre-alpha build, the beta is not a marketing demo. The Beta's purpose is to test the MP and gather feedback. The beta will likely be rough around the edges – mechanically & graphically. It is not a finished product, the games full release is 6 months away.

Please keep threads constructive - 'it looks like gears 3' simply isnt. Feel free to use the sticky at the top (features thread) to discuss today's info release.

Please don't keep opening threads that have been already closed..

Locking, multiple threads of same topic."

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...-3/e437727e-c70c-4e21-8e1d-36c65e7df6de/posts

from the beta footage impressions thread

he said is a true beta because they are actually testing things, not just promoting the game close to launch

leeh

from the beta footage impressions thread

he said is a true beta because they are actually testing things, not just promoting the game close to launch
They should really align their own internal comms then because someone posted on here saying it was a true beta. Pre Alpha implies the game isn't feature complete internally, which makes sense, as it is 6 months away.

They should really align their own internal comms then because someone posted on here saying it was a true beta. Pre Alpha implies the game isn't feature complete internally, which makes sense, as it is 6 months away.

Still not feature complete 5 months until gold isnt a good sign...

leeh

Still not feature complete 5 months until gold isnt a good sign...
Not at all, the software cut what they did for the "beta" probably branched off from their master a long time ago to make it ready for the public. You don't know how far they're off, they could be feature complete now.

Although id expect them to be feature complete around 3 months before, going into defect fixing and balancing/optimisation phases. I'm not too knowledgeable on game development life cycles, I'm just using my knowledge around normal software development. No one follows text book definitions anyway. Everyone likes to think their agile and no-one is.

Top Bottom