• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - Official Multiplayer Beta Tips

Montresor

Can't wait until October 11th when the game actually drops and 1) The campaign looks amazing at 1080p/30fps and 2) The multiplayer looks amazing at 1080p/60fps.

They still have 6 months. It looks bad but people wanted 60fps, so there you go. They should drop to 900p 60fps and improve the visuals for the final product.

Montresor

They still have 6 months. It looks bad but people wanted 60fps, so there you go. They should drop to 900p 60fps and improve the visuals for the final product.

There is a bizarre narrative going on in this thread anyhow. Someone telling ViewtifulJC to go play something else if all he cares about is good graphics, as if Gears 4 won't look fucking amazing at launch. And then people responding to that saying something like "But that's the reason people buy new consoles - for great and improved graphics". Again, as if Gears 4 won't look absolutely amazing at launch.

This same dev team produced a Gears 1 Remaster within a short time frame and it looked beautiful and even had 60fps multiplayer.

The game looks bad right now - that's a fact. But the game is in an alpha/beta stage right now. Maybe give the team some time?

This same dev team produced a Gears 1 Remaster within a short time frame and it looked beautiful and even had 60fps multiplayer.

The game looks bad right now - that's a fact. But the game is in an alpha/beta stage right now. Maybe give the team some time?

Some parts of Gears UE were done by Splash Damage. Same is happening with Gears 4.

Maybe they shouldnt call this Beta, so people wouldnt complain that much about the Graphics etc.

Vire

lol at the clowns criticizing ViewtifulJC. Gears of War 3 was the best looking 360 game AND one of the best playing. There is no reason to not expect technical excellence when concerning a Gears of War game.

Gameplay looks fine... More Gears 3 which is cool I guess.

Dosia

Looks awesome to me and I am sure will be polished up a bit for the final release. The xbox one and its limitations are what they are at this point and my expectations aren't super high for the graphical side of the game. If we get a stable 60 fps and great gameplay I am all in.

Ramirez

lol at the clowns criticizing ViewtifulJC. Gears of War 3 was the best looking 360 game AND one of the best playing. There is no reason to not expect technical excellence when concerning a Gears of War game.

JC is the one being a clown. The game isn't done. Halo 5's beta looked pretty damn rough as well.

That aside, how does a video for gameplay tips turn into a complete graphical discussion? Stupid.

le.phat

Go play something with graphics that you like if that's how shallow you are i'm all in for the gameplay. Your type of graphical "snobbery" is like a cancer theses days.
Kinda bullshit is this? GOW used to be a graphical showpiece so of ourse people are opinionated on the shitty graphics.

Montresor

Just so we're on the same page I'm not necessarily criticizing ViewtifulJC, other than simply saying this is just an alpha/beta. I think it's right to expect technical excellence with a Gears game. My position is that a) Gears Of War Ultimate (the remaster) looked great, and b) It's a fact that Gears Of War's beta footage looks terrible, but c) There's no reason to think it won't be polished to a fine sheen on October 11th.

Vire

JC is the one being a clown. The game isn't done. Halo 5's beta looked pretty damn rough as well.

That aside, how does a video for gameplay tips turn into a complete graphical discussion? Stupid.
Halo 5's beta still didn't end up looking that much different than the final product though?... The resolution was increased and some textures improved, but I still think that Halo 5's multiplayer doesn't look great.

Take a look at any of the textures on The Rig.

aBarreras

i hope that the netcode holds up, i dont want to rage everytime i KNOW i countered a vault kick or jank and they push me or grab me

nib95

Banned

Being a clown for offering an opinion on the graphics of the build and marketing video in the OP? Lol. Being a Beta doesn't mean it's free from opinions, analysis or criticisms. It goes without saying that the visuals could be greatly improved before final release, but that doesn't mean it doesn't currently look pretty bad, or prevent people from saying as much.

On a side note, I don't think Titanfall or Halo 5 actually improved that much graphically from their BETA's to the final releases, despite so many posts hopeful to the contrary. Be interesting to see if Gears 4 bucks the trend.

perfect reload is a great thing, it stops you shooting the wall a few times before each round so you can active reload before combat, now you just need to save your perfect reload without shooting first.

very welcome addition.

*edit* oh a normal active reload uses it up too? hmm.....

dt2

Banned
Being a clown for offering an opinion on the graphics of the build and marketing video in the OP? Lol. Being a Beta doesn't mean it's free from opinions, analysis or criticisms. It goes without saying that the visuals could be greatly improved before final release, but that doesn't mean it doesn't currently look pretty bad, or prevent people from saying as much.

On a side note, I don't think Titanfall or Halo 5 actually improved that much graphically from their BETA's to the final releases, despite so many posts hopeful to the contrary. Be interesting to see if Gears 4 bucks the trend.
Yes, being a clown because his entire post in a thread about multiplayer beta tips was...
the lack of lighting is so shit lol

J_Viper

Some of y'all are forgetting what console this is running on.

Halo 5 isn't a great looking game either, especially in MP.

nib95

Banned
Yes betting a clown because his entire post in a thread about multiplayer beta tips was...

What's wrong with that? You're a clown if you dislike the visuals of a game based on a marketing video representing aspects of it? Is that what you're trying to say? Would you have had this same opinion if he'd said the graphics were great?

Montresor

Speaking just on the video (and staying on topic re: multiplayer tips): I liked it. The new vault additions seem great. I like that you can counter them too. And I think it's nice that you can engage an active reload without needing to reload. Sometimes I would purposely shoot gnasher shots into thin air just so I'd have the opportunity to active reload. And then on the flipside, they've added a cooldown for perfect active reloads. Very neat.

Vire

Did they just replace the retro lancer with a hammer burst that now is a retro lancer? Weird.

Maybe they shouldnt call this Beta, so people wouldnt complain that much about the Graphics etc.

This is a good suggestion. Beta has become way too synonymous with a well-polished demo, 2-3 weeks out from release. Calling it an Alpha, which it certainly is, would alleviate a lot of this.

Halo 5's beta still didn't end up looking that much different than the final product though?... The resolution was increased and some textures improved, but I still think that Halo 5's multiplayer doesn't look great.

Take a look at any of the textures on The Rig.

Halo 5 was 720p with drops down to 46FPS. Presently, I recall Arena mostly shifting between 900p and 1080p (never reaching the latter, but often about the former), at a rock-solid 60, plus textures were sorted. It doesn't seem like much in hindsight, but the 9 months between Beta and launch resulted in a pretty hefty improvement.

343i locked the lighting and effects, and optimised the resolution later. Perhaps the Coalition have done the alternative - locking the resolution (and FPS?) - and will improve the lighting later.

Did they just replace the retro lancer with a hammer burst that now is a retro lancer? Weird.

? The Hammerburst is triple burst again, like it used to be. Retro Lancer is supposedly completely overhauled but that was fully automatic with little accuracy.

Vire

? The Hammerburst is triple burst again, like it used to be. Retro Lancer is supposedly completely overhauled but that was fully automatic with little accuracy.
I guess it's just the reticule that looks like the Retro. Hammerburst used to be more oval like if my memory isn't failing me.

dt2

Banned
What's wrong with that? You're a clown if you dislike the visuals of a game based on a marketing video representing aspects of it? Is that what you're trying to say? Would you have had this same opinion if he'd said the graphics were great?
He can post whatever he wants but such a post is going to do nothing but push this thread into a discussion that has been beaten to death in the other threads where he has also pointed out his thoughts on the quality of graphics.

Theorry

This is a good suggestion. Beta has become way too synonymous with a well-polished demo, 2-3 weeks out from release. Calling it an Alpha, which it certainly is, would alleviate a lot of this.

Quite sad tho really. Devs who abuse the word "beta" should change not the devs who are doing a real beta.

gamz

Quite sad tho really. Devs who abuse the word "beta" should change not the devs who are doing a real beta.

But when is a Alpha really a Beta?

Seriously, though it's Beta because they are testing the game out and making improvements if need be. What's the confusion or abuse?

Dont like the hammerburst change, it was awesome in gears 3 and the ironsight made it unique. The blood splatter on the screen is also too much, reminds me of gears1. The new active system sounds shit

nib95

Banned
Dont like the hammerburst change, it was awesome in gears 3 and the ironsight made it unique. The blood splatter on the screen is also too much, reminds me of gears1. The new active system sounds shit

Blood splatter is definitely over the top, but it adds to the carnage and drama.

image_gears_of_war_4-31504-3270_0009.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31503-3270_0009.jpg

Warxard

Banned

Hammerburst was the best weapon in 3 for Iron Sights / semi-auto fire alone. People complain about Lancer and Retro sure but HB was fucking ridiculous in that game.

Tri-Burst has always been a preference for me in 3 and the removal of ADS seems fine. The main issue with ADS in 3 was that you moved at the same walk speed as you did normally aiming which shouldn't be the case.

Actives should be removed altogether.

We have this "its just a beta/alpha" argument with every game. But coming from this Alpha and Betas to the full game, there isnt much change or none at all.
Same applies to Marketing Videos that slap a "Pre-Alpha" over the Video.

Thats how i feel about this and experienced this too. A lot of people probably never played a real pre-alpha.
Sry i dont believe this claims from the Devs. Its fine when other do, but i dont.

And like you said criticism is a big part why we always have this beta tests etc to judge things.

Hammerburst was the best weapon in 3 for Iron Sights / semi-auto fire alone. People complain about Lancer and Retro sure but HB was fucking ridiculous in that game.

Tri-Burst has always been a preference for me in 3 and the removal of ADS seems fine. The main issue with ADS in 3 was that you moved at the same walk speed as you did normally aiming which shouldn't be the case.

Actives should be removed altogether.

hb in gears1/2 was pretty useless, in 3 they made it a viable weapon but now its just going to be lancer/gnasher all the time. and i dont understand why hb is in the game while digger isnt because they are both locust weapons. how they explaining that one

With regards to the visuals, Rod Fergusson (as well as TC yesterday during their stream) said the visuals/graphics in the game will change. This is a Pre-Alpha build labeled a 'Beta' so that people understand what it actually is. It is designed to test gameplay and netcode (since the netcode is completely different then any other Gears game which used UE3's netcode). Rod confirmed on Twitter that the visuals will change: https://twitter.com/GearsViking/status/721182311157354496

Zeta Oni

I thought we were done with the drive by posting? Guess not.

It's better to just ignore them, and keep that block list ready.

It's already been discussed that this is a pre alpha version of the game with missing textures, animations, and issues with frame rate, but that got ignored.

It's already been discussed this thread has nothing to do with graphics and yet, that's what people keep wanting to bring up, so that's being ignored.

It's already known (by several posters in this very thread) that the game is focusing on "graphical showcasing" for the SP, with its reduced frame rate, and that the game is running on the Xbox one with Unreal engine 4, something that's not gonna produce stellar results at 60fps/1080p with underpowered hardware. That is being ignored as well.

So just ignore them, at this point. Keeps things simple and lets you know who to discuss actual criticisms and concerns with.

For example, not sure how I feel about the active reload system at this point, having it regenerate and all is cool, but being able to do it with a full clip seems to kinda make the reload part redundant.

aBarreras

It's better to just ignore them, and keep that block list ready.

It's already been discussed that this is a pre alpha version of the game with missing textures, animations, and issues with frame rate, but that got ignored.

It's already been discussed this thread has nothing to do with graphics and yet, that's what people keep wanting to bring up, so that's being ignored.

It's already known (by several posters in this very thread) that the game is focusing on "graphical showcasing" for the SP, with its reduced frame rate, and that the game is running on the Xbox one with Unreal engine 4, something that's not gonna produce stellar results at 60fps/1080p with underpowered hardware. That is being ignored as well.

So just ignore them, at this point. Keeps things simple and lets you know who to discuss actual criticisms and concerns with.

For example, not sure how I feel about the active reload system at this point, having it regenerate and all is cool, but being able to do it with a full clip seems to kinda make the reload part redundant.

i think you can play mind games with the new active reload, you can make your oponent that you will star a gun fight so he uses the active reload, then you just waste time until the power boost is gone and he cant active reload for like 15 seconds

Tomash

hb in gears1/2 was pretty useless, in 3 they made it a viable weapon but now its just going to be lancer/gnasher all the time. and i dont understand why hb is in the game while digger isnt because they are both locust weapons. how they explaining that one

Hammerburst is a not a living being. Digger is a Locust creature that is used as ammo for Digger Launcher.

Nori Chan

I thought mantle and grab would be OP, but this is the first time I heard that there is a counter to it. This game is looking to be perfect, I can't wait for Monday

shoreu

Boy I do not like that perfect reload addition it's pretty much advocating those folks who run around with one bullet until it's time to fight.

And the mantle kick / yank ugh.

I'll just get good at countering I guess.

It just feels cheap I like earning my kills

jesu

We have this "its just a beta/alpha" argument with every game. But coming from this Alpha and Betas to the full game, there isnt much change or none at all.
Same applies to Marketing Videos that slap a "Pre-Alpha" over the Video.

Thats how i feel about this and experienced this too. A lot of people probably never played a real pre-alpha.
Sry i dont believe this claims from the Devs. Its fine when other do, but i dont.

And like you said criticism is a big part why we always have this beta tests etc to judge things.

I've beta tested a game that didn't have any graphics.
I hope that looks better when it releases.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
There's really no need for arguing about the graphics right now - it's been said that it's alpha build in beta testing. If you don't believe it, you have 6 months of waiting until the game's release where you can rightfully judge the game in it's final state. These threads have been have been running like a broken record from the very first video, it's taking away from actual discussion by repeating what was already established before we even saw the game.

Anyways, that was a very well-done video that I hope everyone playing the beta or has an interest in Gears 4 sees. Excellent to learn that not only can you counter the grab, but you can counter the mantle kick as well too. Meaning that it is never over once any of these interactions begin. The great thing also is that after 10 years, finally the characters get to use their knives that they've been carrying all these years with the execution kill, hahaha.

Gonna miss the Digger, but I like what I see with the Dropshot - same concept but without the travel time, but it still has its unique uses. Like sending it miles away to someone then having it pop up as surprise, or being under someone and having it go through the roof like on Trenches.

I see myself going for the Hammerburst again, especially now that it's not rapid-fire prone anymore, which chumps with rapid-fire mods could use.

I had the luck just now of winning an early access code for Gears 4 - and not even from any of the early access streamers or anything like that, which is cool, my luck streak continues. Only thing is no XB1 yet. :( But I redeemed it because I didn't play Gears UE, so aside from the open beta, this was the one way to register that I have the beta in case they give rewards in Gears 4 for just having it tied to your Gamertag. Plus I didn't want to just give away something someone generously offered as a giveaway.

So, anyway, ignoring the moronic beta graphics concern trolling for a sec, game looks pretty fun. I like the vault kick and pull counters, that shit looks like it could make for some INCREDIBLE plays. I am a little concerned about how it translates to higher level play, though; once everybody gets good at countering, melee becomes kind of useless. Unless there's a high enough input difficulty that even the best players will mess it up a significant amount of the time, it might end up canceling things out.

shoreu

So, anyway, ignoring the moronic beta graphics concern trolling for a sec, game looks pretty fun. I like the vault kick and pull counters, that shit looks like it could make for some INCREDIBLE plays. I am a little concerned about how it translates to higher level play, though; once everybody gets good at countering, melee becomes kind of useless. Unless there's a high enough input difficulty that even the best players will mess it up a significant amount of the time, it might end up canceling things out.

This it's become trolling and shitposting nothing else.

Top Bottom