• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans are sending pictures of money to SEGA Europe

Andrefpvs

tBgxtPC.jpg

a69iInG.jpg

8y5wxbY.jpg

WisPjj5.jpg

fHsMeWk.jpg

The cause of this is a campaign by Sonic Retro/SEGA Bits, that came about as a result of all the recent SEGA localisations for North America that haven't even been announced for PAL regions:

TOxJy6o.png

https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe

This is Sega Europe. They do things like localise games from Japanese and release them in the UK, Germany, France, Australia, etc.

Oh, did I say localise games? Old hat. Their current job is to say “no information at this time” to any questions on Twitter. Over and over and over again.
This is a shame, because SoE used to be the best Sega division, and SoA has rather cheekily stolen this title in the last couple of years.

The only reason I can think of for them doing this (other than just tormenting the audience, and I can’t see this as a logical business decision), is that they don’t think they’ll make any money on a release. That the translation won’t get them sales, and that they need some incentive or something.

Right. They want some incentive? Let’s bloody GIVE them an incentive! If the only thing they’re going to listen to is cold hard cash, I think we can do that.

Here’s the plan:

1. Get some bank notes, how much a game’d cost in your local currency. This is an SoE focused effort so we’re looking at pounds, Euros, Australian or New Zealand dollars (though if any Yanks want to join in, I don’t see the harm in a few dollarbux posts either!)
  2. Write the name of a game SoE has yet to make any sort of plans for in Europe, but that already came out (or is about to in the very near future) in the US, on a sheet of A4 paper in nice readable letters.
  3. Take a photo of these two things and post it on Twitter to @SEGA_Europe, with the hashtag #TakeMyMoneySoE somewhere in the tweet.
http://www.sonicretro.org/2016/04/takemymoneysoe-campaign-get-soe-localise-games/
http://segabits.com/blog/2016/04/15/takemymoneysoe-a-campaign-to-get-sega-europe-to-localise-games/

Almost hilariously, SEGA's response to this was pretty close to “no information at this time”.

Faustek

Well I get it...but I also get that the European branch have been focused on their PC efforts and don't have enough people to cover the rest....but that is something they can rectify if whoever makes the decision allows it. So expand, please.

TimmiT

PsionBolt

While I generally find these sorts of Twitter campaigns silly and meaningless, I find this one silly, meaningless, and also funny. So hey, that's a step up! If nothing else, it does something different, so it's bound to draw more attention. Props to whoever came up with the idea.

Hexa

Something I've never understood is why people don't do something like put up a pre-order web site with a counter showing how much a game needs to sell in order for it to be profitable to localize, with a release only happening if it reaches that point within a reasonable time frame, and the inability to cancel your pre-order once it reaches that point. If it reaches that number, then they release the game and make money. If it doesn't, then they can say with proof that it wouldn't be worth it to release and fans can't really argue with that.

undead77

I still want PSO2, but fuck no. I really enjoyed the Japanese version and it's constant stream of updates, but I also got tired of messing with updating the translation with each patch, and dealing with getting in game currency, and a almost 200 ping.

Something I've never understood is why people don't do something like put up a pre-order web site with a counter showing how much a game needs to sell in order for it to be profitable to localize, with a release only happening if it reaches that point within a reasonable time frame, and the inability to cancel your pre-order once it reaches that point. If it reaches that number, then they release the game and make money. If it doesn't, then they can say with proof that it wouldn't be worth it to release and fans can't really argue with that.

So... Kickstarter?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Feels like a reverse Operation Rainfall! Seriously though, in this day and age of globalization, you would think that things would be pretty equal now with localizations and distributing them to all regions, and not just one. I can't help but think that some factors are EU regulations, but still, then you get the case of OpRain and in that case it made no sense not to bring the Wii titles to NA.

I don't get it. Just release for both regions, if you have a division there :/

Hexa

So... Kickstarter?

Kind of. The difference is that I think big companies would likely get shit for using Kickstarter for localization due to the fact that they're in a way screwing over the people that are paying more than the standard price for the game for it that ultimately just goes into profit. As in since this would likely be a very low key sort of thing, there wouldn't really be an organized campaign with multiple tiers. Here the only option would be the standard price, though I suppose people could buy more copies of the game.

MLH

I don't get why any of these games won't get released in Europe in the digital age, it seems crazy a game can exist in English and not be available in Europe. At least do a digital release, it can't cost that much/ risk isn't that high.

Shantom

Ghostlight have done this a couple of times, with Devil Survivor 2 DS being the most notable game released that way.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Was not aware that Sega of Europe was this bad and I live in Europe.

If anything I was under impression that we were going to get 7th Dragon Code VFD, but they were waiting to announce it to be digital only.

But yeah I will take part...once I get some money. ¬_¬;

Because I don't want to be an afterthought to publishers who only feel it necessary to release games here because of arbitrary figures.

Europe was pissed about enough in the 90s with this sort of stuff, it needs to stop.

Never a fan of companies asking you to beg them, especially when nothing comes of it.

edit: oh sega didn't start it never mind, misread the op.

Need to include SMTIV: Apocalypse in that group now. Not getting a good feeling about that game either now. *sigh* Living in European region really sucks sometimes.

Faustek

So... Kickstarter?

When someone within SE's European branch mentioned this I nearly lost it but then I remembered that that would probably be the only way we'll ever get their handheld games localised or in this case not left back in Japan. You know the exclusive mobile rent out games here in the West :(

I'm not going to say it out loud but I would be the first dumbass to throw some money at such a disgusting endeavour.

TimmiT

Dont belittle the power petitions, its what got us Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth ●_●)//

I said probably, there are of course times where petitions have worked. Bandai Namco in particular showed that they listen to petitions. It's just that more often than not they don't, at least when it comes to media.

Top Bottom