• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H3H3Productions |OT| Reppin' the Naysh \//\

Maximo

Even with this video still gonna get people saying "Oh he supports this group, oh Ethan doesn't do enough to wade off that group" or that saying certain words for a joke or ironically is totally not fair. Biggest annoyance for me is a vocal minority from everyone that can't take a fucking joke.
It is a sad day when people take H3h3 so seriously.

Agree with what he's saying, but when he mentioned not liking some of the stuff BLM does, I got a bit confused.

Has BLM as a movement ever done anything fucked up, or are we talking like individuals or certain riots or stuff?

I'm not that well versed in the subject, as I've always felt it's stupid to read and find individual cases as reasons to hate a movement that is about an exposed minority that's getting the shit handed to them.

Lo_Fi

My problem is with them using "triggered" as a way to mean "too offended". That's not what triggers or being triggered are. I realize that that's not just h3h3, it's a lot of the internet (pewdiepies doing it now, so good luck having the future generation build empathy with people who have ptsd.) but I cant take anyone seriously when using it in an ironic way. It's always arguing against a strawman. I have not once seen an example of someone genuinely saying they are triggered when it's not valid. But if you listen to the internet, it's all over the place. Yet no video of some supposedly "triggered" feminist I've ever seen involves them discussing triggers or ptsd. It's turning into "oh I'm so ocd" when you just like things tidy, but a lot more harmful because there are plenty of people out there who still think only veterans can have ptsd or other misconceptions.

Before I get "it's just a joke"...where's the punchline? As someone stated in another thread, it's the equivalent of "you flinched" or "u mad!". There is no punchline. It's just repeating something you heard that never even had a punchline in the first place. H3h3 are funnier than that.

Agree with what he's saying, but when he mentioned not liking some of the stuff BLM does, I got a bit confused.

Has BLM as a movement ever done anything fucked up, or are we talking like individuals or certain riots or stuff?

I'm not that well versed in the subject, as I've always felt it's stupid to read and find individual cases as reasons to hate a movement that is about an exposed minority that's getting the shit handed to them.

I think he does mean individuals but he just isn't the most eloquent speaker when it comes to the appropriate terminology. I've always seen h3h3 as excacly what he discribed, rational and a channel that called out bullshit. I definitely think he uses some words inappropriately from time to time but I never got the impression he is advocating for a political agenda.
People should call him out for misusing certain words and not for pandering to the left or right or whatever which seems to me ridiculous.

y2dvd

You can still support something and not like everything that person or movement has done. I'm looking at the presidential candidates.

Seesaw15

I respect Ethan's hustle since H3H3 is trying to appeal to everyone and get that Jeff Dunham money but the "Both Sides" stance across the board is kind of weak. Like replace BLM with Climate Change and the idea of giving both sides equal time seems silly.

Uhyve

I respect Ethan's hustle since H3H3 is trying to appeal to everyone and get that Jeff Dunham money but the "Both Sides" stance across the board is kind of weak. Like replace BLM with Climate Change and the idea of giving both sides equal time seems silly.
I mean, I think his point is that he doesn't really give both sides equal time, he just gives crazy people and bullshitters time. Like if you had a video of a Climate Change scientist going around harassing people driving SUVs, he'd probably cover that.

Phu

Banned
My problem is with them using "triggered" as a way to mean "too offended". That's not what triggers or being triggered are. I realize that that's not just h3h3, it's a lot of the internet (pewdiepies doing it now, so good luck having the future generation build empathy with people who have ptsd.) but I cant take anyone seriously when using it in an ironic way. It's always arguing against a strawman. I have not once seen an example of someone genuinely saying they are triggered when it's not valid. But if you listen to the internet, it's all over the place. Yet no video of some supposedly "triggered" feminist I've ever seen involves them discussing triggers or ptsd. It's turning into "oh I'm so ocd" when you just like things tidy, but a lot more harmful because there are plenty of people out there who still think only veterans can have ptsd or other misconceptions.

Before I get "it's just a joke"...where's the punchline? As someone stated in another thread, it's the equivalent of "you flinched" or "u mad!". There is no punchline. It's just repeating something you heard that never even had a punchline in the first place. H3h3 are funnier than that.

It's just how the word is changing in our language. I don't think it's anything more than that.

NexusCell

Like it or not, "triggered" has entered to popular lexicon. At my college I see people using it pretty casually to describe someone being offended. Unless there's an actual movement to stamp it out of the public conscious (Like what happened with calling things "gay" a couple years ago), then its just going to continue being used.

That's entirely his point, and not a weak one at all. You can replace the BLM discussion with virtually anything else that's a hot-button thing on social media right now and you'll still get crazies coming from both sides guns blazing. This is something that's not going to go away anytime soon.

You can still support something and not like everything that person or movement has done. I'm looking at the presidential candidates.

Yeah I'm not questioning his opinion, I'm just personally a bit confused about what BLM-supporters have done that would make rational people say they don't agree with the movement as a whole. I don't read that much about BLM, as it seems pointless to find reasons to dislike a movement about a progressive and well-meaning ideology.

You can see several times that Ethan says he supports feminism and considers himself one, and that the fucked up feminists are not indicative of the cause itself, whereas he doesn't seem to make that kind of distinction with BLM.

I would just like some examples of what BLM and its supporters, have done to cause any practical anger outside of the ideological belief that comes with "ALM".

Seesaw15

I mean, I think his point is that he doesn't really give both sides equal time, he just gives crazy people and bullshitters time. Like if you had a video of a Climate Change scientist going around harassing people driving SUVs, he'd probably cover that.

I got the point that as a comedian and a channel H3H3 are equal opportunity offenders.

The thing I thought was weak was when Ethan started talking about the comment section and America/the world as a whole.

nynt9

This. Make videos pandering to both sides then make a video wondering why anyone gets mad at all.

He says the show is not political and doesn't take a stance, but he covers political matters and does have a stance. Not taking a stance is a stance too and he doesn't even not take a stance. I's a cop out video that will satisfy the edgy detached interned nihilist audience he has who are too good for politics supposedly.

There's a large amount of people who were salty that h3 got called out for pandering to the alt right and were looking at an opportunity to shove those claims back into the faces of those who made them.

Ethan's reaction here about "we got called alt right panderers so we did a BLM video" just goes to show that he knew what he was doing and that video was trying to do damage control but now that he attracted the alt right audience he's upset that they're mad and is using this to be all "we don't do politics we're why internet people" whereas he put himself in this position.

Its like he says, you are not listening.

Hes not trying to appeal to "sides", thats not his thing. H3H3 is a comedy channel that makes fun of individuals that do crazy stuff. These individuals happen to have stances on things, but thats not the point, those stances are just a part of them(something we all humans have), its the way they do SOMETHING that is mocked, not their position on it.

Like the one video where this is not the case is the vape nation one where he mocks vaping culture(they deserve it) but this is just part of the parodies he does.

This. Make videos pandering to both sides then make a video wondering why anyone gets mad at all.

He says the show is not political and doesn't take a stance, but he covers political matters and does have a stance. Not taking a stance is a stance too and he doesn't even not take a stance. I's a cop out video that will satisfy the edgy detached interned nihilist audience he has who are too good for politics supposedly.

There's a large amount of people who were salty that h3 got called out for pandering to the alt right and were looking at an opportunity to shove those claims back into the faces of those who made them.

Ethan's reaction here about "we got called alt right panderers so we did a BLM video" just goes to show that he knew what he was doing and that video was trying to do damage control but now that he attracted the alt right audience he's upset that they're mad and is using this to be all "we don't do politics we're why internet people" whereas he put himself in this position.

What the hell are you talking about this is his 3rd Joey salads video , he makes fun of this kind of channels all the god dam time.

Lo_Fi

Like it or not, "triggered" has entered to popular lexicon. At my college I see people using it pretty casually to describe someone being offended. Unless there's an actual movement to stamp it out of the public conscious (Like what happened with calling things "gay" a couple years ago), then its just going to continue being used.

Really? Shit. Why? Where does it come from? Did h3h3 start it or reddit? I only see that shit on reddit, and every now and then on here. Never heard anyone say it off the internet, don't think I could take anyone who does seriously. Can anyone provide me with actual instances of someone saying they are seriously triggered when it "shouldn't" apply to them? Because that's what the "joke" is poking fun at, right?

That's entirely his point, and not a weak one at all. You can replace the BLM discussion with virtually anything else that's a hot-button thing on social media right now and you'll still get crazies coming from both sides guns blazing. This is something that's not going to go away anytime soon.

So his point is that if you put a work out into the public some people will criticize it? That's criticism 101, you can't please everyone. As long as the discussion is civil, and there isn't harassment and shit going on, I don't see the problem. If you create things, you have to deal with criticism. Depending on your goals with your work you can choose which criticism to ignore.

edgy detached internet nihilist audience he has who are too good for politics supposedly.

This is a very good description of a lot of people on the internet right now.

Hes not trying to appeal to "sides", thats not his thing. H3H3 is a comedy channel that makes fun of individuals that do crazy stuff.

"Crazy Feminist* Gets Triggered** By _____!"
*Never identifies as feminist in the video
**Never talks about PTSD or triggers in the video

If he doesn't want to take sides he shouldn't use such political terms that come with a ton of baggage. I'm fine with the videos. It's the titles that bug me. If he's supposedly making fun of individuals that do crazy stuff, why the need to lump them into groups incorrectly that come with a ton of baggage to different crowds on the internet? The video could have just as easily been titled "Woman gets offended by ____!", and would be more accurate.

Seesaw15

Its like he says, you are not listening.

Hes not trying to appeal to "sides", thats not his thing. H3H3 is a comedy channel that makes fun of individuals that do crazy stuff. These individuals happen to have stances on things, but thats not the point, those stances are just a part of them(something we all humans have), its the way they do SOMETHING that is mocked, not their position on it.

Like the one video where this is not the case is the vape nation one where he mocks vaping culture(they deserve it) but this is just part of the parodies he does.

I was listening.

Ethan said H3H3 is apolitical which means he wants everyone to watch his videos regardless of sides. As a business man I can respect that. Make your YouTube money Ethan.

Why I said the "Both Sides" stance was weak is when he said stuff like.
Ethan said:
Ok the person on the left side from you on the right side they're just as human as
you are. I promise they have a reason for thinking and feeling the way they do.
Maybe put down your fucking pitchfork ok. Lower your emotional shield, don't get
triggered and listen to them.

Its a nice but overly simplistic sentiment. If in 2016 you think its ok for an unarmed black person to get shot by the police then its ok to not value your opinion equally.
Ethan's trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Odrion

Banned
watching this guy's videos

where are the funny ones

edit: can we make skullface's virus a reality and have it trigger when someone says the word triggered

"Crazy Feminist* Gets Triggered** By _____!"
*Never identifies as feminist in the video
**Never talks about PTSD or triggers in the video

If he doesn't want to take sides he shouldn't use such political terms that come with a ton of baggage. I'm fine with the videos. But if he's supposedly making fun of individuals that do crazy stuff, why the need to lump them into groups incorrectly that come with a ton of baggage to different crowds on the internet?

Im gona assume by your post that you are either in your 30s+ or not keen on social media.

The triggered feminist is a meme that comes from tumblr, it comes from people in that platform complaining about everything and actively asking trigger warnings for the most mundane thing.

Example http://i.imgur.com/3MdC2vA.jpg

Like most people on the internet, you are trying to analize a situation without context.

Ethan has an audience, most of them are aware what a triggered feminist means, it is in fact a mockery of someone who the internet would clasify as a extremist feminist, not all of feminist.

It is not his fault you are not into the jargon that is used in his community, the same way you are not expected to know what "repping the nash" or "papa bless" if you dont follow the circles in which he does jokes about. Now granted, the two examples are jokes he started but in general everything he does is related to meme culture and the "crazy feminist" is a meme as well.

I think you just need to understand that terms are used differently in different places on the internet and some communities use their own jargon and like you do, separate what is said on a video in the internet adressing people on the internet to what people say in real life.

He is in fact not using the terms incorrectly, hes using them correctly to his audience.

I was listening.

Ethan said H3H3 is apolitical which means he wants everyone to watch his videos regardless of sides. As a business man I can respect that. Make your YouTube money Ethan.

Why I said the "Both Sides" stance was weak is when he said stuff like.

Its a nice but overly simplistic sentiment. If in 2016 you think its ok for an unarmed black person to get shot by the police then its ok to not value your opinion equally.
Ethan's trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Bruh you really are not listening, hes not endorsing or supporting people that think that way, where is he saying that?
Or are you actually saying that people on the right all think like that.

This video is adressed to you specifically and you are proving him right.

MUnited83

For you.
lmao this "both sides" shit is like clockwork.

First Philip DeFranco, now H3H3.

I'm probably unsubbing from both.

I mean, Philip DeFranco ain't even "both sides" anymore, he has gone full dumbass fuckwit, especially with the recent happenings of him supporting the harrasment of another youtuber, just because she reported a video from a channel that advocates hate speech that was using her image. Apparently not wanting your image associated with fuckers promoting hate speech is "censorship" now.

NexusCell

Really? Shit. Why? Where does it come from? Did h3h3 start it or reddit? I only see that shit on reddit, and every now and then on here. Never heard anyone say it off the internet, don't think I could take anyone who does seriously. Can anyone provide me with actual instances of someone saying they are seriously triggered when it "shouldn't" apply to them? Because that's what the "joke" is poking fun at, right?

It started as a combination of actual trigger warnings and trigger warnings that I would, in my honest opinion, not exactly be validated in use (Tag your gore/pomegranates, being pro-anorexia). Around 2010-2012, a lot of feminist websites began putting trigger warnings on their articles which was all mostly fine and good. However, by 2014 you saw a lot of, lets say "extreme" feminists using the term for reasons that may not exactly be considered valid.

One of the most famous images associated with triggering is when a Twitter user stated that cyberbulling and online harassment gave her PTSD, and that there were groups other then the military that had higher rates of PTSD. This, along with the term triggering, got covered a bunch from a bunch of new outlets.

Whether or not you consider her reasons for claiming PTSD and needing trigger warnings valid, a lot of people didn't. So people began associating the term "triggering" with finding somethings offensive.

Lo_Fi

Im gona assume by your post that you are either in your 30s+ or not keen on social media.

The triggered feminist is a meme that comes from tumblr, it comes from people in that platform complaining about everything and actively asking trigger warnings for the most mundane thing.

Example http://i.imgur.com/3MdC2vA.jpg

Like most people on the internet, you are trying to analize a situation without context.

Ethan has an audience, most of them are aware what a triggered feminist means, it is in fact a mockery of someone who the internet would clasify as a extremist feminist, not all of feminist.

It is not his fault you are not into the jargon that is used in his community, the same way you are not expected to know what "repping the nash" or "papa bless" if you dont follow the circles in which he does jokes about. Now granted, the two examples are jokes he started but in general everything he does is related to meme culture and the "crazy feminist" is a meme as well.

I think you just need to understand that terms are used differently in different places on the internet and some communities use their own jargon and like you do, separate what is said on a video in the internet adressing people on the internet to what people say in real life.

He is in fact not using the terms incorrectly, hes using them correctly to his audience.

I'm mid-20's and I'm on the internet a lot of the time. I just don't use tumblr or reddit much. Reddit because most of the memes there are insufferable, including the triggered one.

I figured that it comes from "people in that platform complaining about everything and actively asking trigger warnings for the most mundane thing", but until your post I had literally never seen any actual examples of that. Are there more examples of that? It's curious to me that, as someone who is completely apathetic/ambivalent about tumblr, people who hate tumblr so much are exposed to that stuff more than I am.

Whether or not you consider her reasons for claiming PTSD and needing trigger warnings valid, a lot of people didn't. So people began associating the term "triggering" with finding somethings offensive.

And this is my point. Uninformed people who think only veterans get PTSD will see triggered being used to mock people being offended and when someone actually has PTSD they'll go "oh you're just triggered lol". We already have a word for offended. It's "offended". Why the need to make things more confusing?

It started as a combination of actual trigger warnings and trigger warnings that I would, in my honest opinion, not exactly be validated in use (Tag your gore/pomegranates, being pro-anorexia). Around 2010-2012, a lot of feminist websites began putting trigger warnings on their articles which was all mostly fine and good. However, by 2014 you saw a lot of, lets say "extreme" feminists using the term for reasons that may not exactly be considered valid.

I see this argument all the time. I have never seen actual links/proof/receipts until the post earlier about pomegranates. But one incident seems like not much, where are the rest of these cases?

Edit: if this is too off-topic, feel free to PM me links if you want. I don't want to derail, but I do want to discuss this as this has been bugging me for a while.

Dude Abides

Banned
Not sure how a bunch or racists going into his comments supports this both sides are bad let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya angle.

Jawmuncher

I agree with some of what he was saying. Does seem like we're at a point of damned if you do damned if you don't. Regardless on your views.

SugarDave

I'm glad he addressed it and the video needed to be made. I agree with his points in general but don't think it'll do anything to sway anyone entrenched on one side or the other, his point would have been better served if he didn't say "triggered" 50 times. The term was maybe mildly amusing based on the context of its use in the beginning but now it's beyond ridiculous. It stopped being about calling out dumb uses of "warnings" a long time ago and now it's just a way to conveniently dismiss someone who doesn't confirm your particular bias.

I imagine the majority of their audience and the people behaving this way range from children to young adults too. All these people vehemently attacking each other when they're still growing and their ideals are probably about as fickle as the wind anyway, such a waste of time. It's disheartening to see all these youngsters taking their cue from these YouTube celebrities when most of them are barely over 25 and probably don't have a clue themselves. Like someone else already mentioned, the state of these impressionable kids ability to be empathetic in the future may turn out to be a miserable thing.

lightus

So, let me clear this up.

Ethan makes a video about how people overact and attack each other over the internet based upon assumptions or differences in views. As a result we have a page of comments talking about how he is using the word "triggered" wrong and that he is playing both sides which is weak.

I mean this guy..

.. is so upset by the last video he's unsubscribing.

I understand, this is a public forum, its purpose is to promote discussion. It seems like this thread is having (though to a less hate-filled extent) the same issues he's addressed in the video.

I even agree that the word "triggered" is misused and annoying. I wish he would stop using it as he does, because I don't find it funny. It just feels like, unless you are purposefully super clean and un-opinionated (see: Casey Neistat), there will always be something to pick at. I'm not sure having a drawn out discussion on every issue is really necessary.

I'm not sure where exactly I'm going with this other than to express that it gets tiresome to hear everything cast in a negative light. Not everything is worth the effort guys, sometimes you just have to just pop off some ranch dressing and take a chug, you know?

I can't even begin to comprehend being so angry over this video that you unsub.

I mean sure, if you're in the camp who hasn't enjoyed h3's new direction anyway, sure, but if you're still a fan and are just this heated over politics... yikes.

unsubbing is effortless and doesn't require being "so angry", "heated", "triggered" or "upset"

you click a button and their videos no longer show up in your subscription feed.

It's pretty interesting how good of a job this page is doing of proving Ethan's point. Though he really should know better than expecting people on the Internet to change their extreme opinions on anything. He just ignore and carry on as far as I'm concerned.

I mean this guy..

.. is so upset by the last video he's unsubscribing.

I understand, this is a public forum, its purpose is to promote discussion. It seems like this thread is having (though to a less hate-filled extent) the same issues he's addressed in the video.

I even agree that the word "triggered" is misused and annoying. I wish he would stop using it as he does, because I don't find it funny. It just feels like, unless you are purposefully super clean and un-opinionated (see: Casey Neistat), there will always be something to pick at. I'm not sure having a drawn out discussion on every issue is really necessary.

I'm not sure where exactly I'm going with this other than to express that it gets tiresome to hear everything cast in a negative light. Not everything is worth the effort guys, sometimes you just have to just pop off some ranch dressing and take a chug, you know?

lol, "upset."

I am simply not interested in this Fox News-esque false equivalence nonsense Ethan is trying to pull in order to have his cake and eat it to. It's disingenuous, and more than that, it's insultingly transparent what he's doing.

H3H3 want to bolster their viewership by pandering to the alt-right crowd with their Harambe memes and "anti SJW" rhetoric, and that's their prerogative, but if they want to present supporting social movements concerned with social justice like BLM as the equivalent on the other side of the argument, they can fuck right off.

It's pick and choose, not both as far as I'm concerned when it comes down promoting equality and alt-right interests, and they need to choose.

I can't even begin to comprehend being so angry over this video that you unsub.

I mean sure, if you're in the camp who hasn't enjoyed h3's new direction anyway, sure, but if you're still a fan and are just this heated over politics... yikes.

Why are you even assuming I'm angry? It's not just this video. I've commented before on how I dislike the way H3H3 have gone with their channel, and the good will they built up with their earlier content is increasingly diminishing to the point where I find myself contemplating whether they're worth another shot.

Don't pretend politics aren't important or that they're somehow above it because they making funny videos every now and then. The character of their content matters, and I'm not interested in supporting a channel that has no qualms courting the support and adoration of racists and sexists alike.

depths20XX

Thread is kind of proving his point. He was never pandering to the alt-right. He's been doing the same thing he's always done. Calling out bullshit. I suppose it's easier to just say "alt-right" though and be done with it huh.

And this is my point. Uninformed people who think only veterans get PTSD will see triggered being used to mock people being offended and when someone actually has PTSD they'll go "oh you're just triggered lol". We already have a word for offended. It's "offended". Why the need to make things more confusing?

No one is confused by this, though. Everyone knows use of the term triggered in this context refers to insane people claiming to be triggered by pomegranates or people asking for content warnings regarding the color blue.

Nobody is going to see someone having a PTSD panic attack & mock them because they're confused by Ethan making fun of an uppity lyft passenger. Even the two most hardcore feminists I know have made a few triggered jokes.

I figured that it comes from "people in that platform complaining about everything and actively asking trigger warnings for the most mundane thing", but until your post I had literally never seen any actual examples of that.

Then you're not gonna get it because that's what everyone else is talking about. Whether or not you've personally seen it there's countless examples and this stuff gets around.

petghost

Banned
The two political extremes have gotten so vitriolic in the west that every form of media gets pulled into their fight. It's pretty terrifying honestly.

lightus

lol, "upset."

I didn't mean to imply you were furious or something. I don't know you and it would be dumb for me to assume to know how you felt when you made your post. "Upset" was the first word to come to mind that wasn't overly dramatic. Would "affected" work better? You felt enough of some sort of emotion to write a post saying you'll probably unsubscribe.

As for the rest of your post, that's fine. I disagree, but that's your opinion. In the interest of not further derailing the thread I'll leave it to that.

Anyways, here's to hoping his next few videos are back to non-politically associated topics.

tumblr_o9m953P7O21vpv8z8o1_400.jpg

Esiquio

You could also unsub from this thread while you're at it.

Both channels handle things pretty evenly, and as a poster mentioned above, H3H3 specifically focuses on individuals that usually deserve some sort of mockery.

nynt9

Thread is kind of proving his point. He was never pandering to the alt-right. He's been doing the same thing he's always done. Calling out bullshit. I suppose it's easier to just say "alt-right" though and be done with it huh.

No matter how much you or Ethan say their videos aren't political and just target bullshit from individuals, the videos they choose to criticize and what they say about them inherently implies a political message. Now, Ethan may think it doesn't, but that just makes him naive.

Ethan seems pretty triggered. Sorry dude, but the 'both sides get triggered' balancing act of comparing racists, sexists, bigots and white supremacists commenting on your last video to liberal SJWs is where you lose me completely.

I'm still in for the goofs and the gaffs, but he's falling down that drama hole again and needs to just ignore it.

petghost

Banned
No matter how much you or Ethan say their videos aren't political and just target bullshit from individuals, the videos they choose to criticize and what they say about them inherently implies a political message. Now, Ethan may think it doesn't, but that just makes him naive.

this kind of thinking is dangerous imo. lots of people with really dogmatic political ideologies see every form of human expression as somehow political. i think a lot of people use this as basis to bully people into limiting how they express themselves pretty often.

Maximo

What is the political message hes pushing?

depths20XX

Calling out insane irrational people is not politically motivated. This is a comedy channel most of all. It says more about you that you immediately equate it to alt-right pandering.

Top Bottom