• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H3H3Productions |OT| Reppin' the Naysh \//\

Izuna

Banned
I feel like Ethan never needed to make this. Fuck the racists, and also fuck the people who defend the absolute worst of outrage culture. He doesn't need them to support him through YouTube comments. I liked both videos.

But yeah, obviously, fuck Joey Salads

It really is incredible that everyone now has to have some horse in the race so they can be painted as your ally or the enemy. Just because they do a video on something political doesn't mean they are required to have a political stance. The point of their videos are and have been to make fun of the absurd and ridiculous, nothing more.

droggg

lol, "upset."

I am simply not interested in this Fox News-esque false equivalence nonsense Ethan is trying to pull in order to have his cake and eat it to. It's disingenuous, and more than that, it's insultingly transparent what he's doing.

H3H3 want to bolster their viewership by pandering to the alt-right crowd with their Harambe memes and "anti SJW" rhetoric, and that's their prerogative, but if they want to present supporting social movements concerned with social justice like BLM as the equivalent on the other side of the argument, they can fuck right off.

It's pick and choose, not both as far as I'm concerned when it comes down promoting equality and alt-right interests, and they need to choose.

Why are you even assuming I'm angry? It's not just this video. I've commented before on how I dislike the way H3H3 have gone with their channel, and the good will they built up with their earlier content is increasingly diminishing to the point where I find myself contemplating whether they're worth another shot.

Don't pretend politics aren't important or that they're somehow above it because they making funny videos every now and then. The character of their content matters, and I'm not interested in supporting a channel that has no qualms courting the support and adoration of racists and sexists alike.

you're proving his point...

Uhyve

No matter how much you or Ethan say their videos aren't political and just target bullshit from individuals, the videos they choose to criticize and what they say about them inherently implies a political message. Now, Ethan may think it doesn't, but that just makes him naive.
Oh come on, he's only criticizing those that deserve it. Can you honestly say that Lyft Hula girl isn't a horrible person? She's obviously not as bad as Joey(let's pretend black people are more violent than white people)Salads, but they're both awful people that we should remind people not to respect in any way.

These aren't good people, if they seem to identify with your ideology, you should hope that they change their minds because they embarrass the cause, not attack those who make fun of their obviously moronic tirades.

That Pepsi Max is somehow a good soda, we all know that Coke Zero is ten times better.
Incorrect, Pepsi Max is much more refreshing.

D3RANG3D

jdnnQ4L.gif

lol, "upset."

I am simply not interested in this Fox News-esque false equivalence nonsense Ethan is trying to pull in order to have his cake and eat it to. It's disingenuous, and more than that, it's insultingly transparent what he's doing.

H3H3 want to bolster their viewership by pandering to the alt-right crowd with their Harambe memes and "anti SJW" rhetoric, and that's their prerogative, but if they want to present supporting social movements concerned with social justice like BLM as the equivalent on the other side of the argument, they can fuck right off.

It's pick and choose, not both as far as I'm concerned when it comes down promoting equality and alt-right interests, and they need to choose.
Jesus, this is exactly what Ethan was talking about. You're upset that he hasn't "chosen" your side and hasn't called the alt-right total scum, and so you break out the pitchfork and tell him to "fuck right off".

And in what world is someone not allowed to support BLM just because they made fun of a few insane girls freaking out over Hugh Mungus and a hula doll?

Man I don't normally say shit like this on GAF because I typically like to give people the chance to say their piece but I wish the people going "oh fuck this guy he's gone down hill/has an agenda/this that or the other thing I'm unsubbing" would just fucking silently do it and fuck off. H3H3 is a comedy channel about blasting ass, I don't want to come into the H3H3 thread to see pages and pages of people bitching about politics and how right/left Ethan is and how they're gonna unsub. It's like now that South Park is hitting a little too close to home people in that OT are all up in arms too. It's all fun and games until your thing gets made fun of and then it's all hands on deck.

You wanna unsub? Then just do it and get out and let those of us who still enjoy his videos enjoy them. You don't need our validation to click the unsub button and I doubt most of us give a shit that you're unsubbing or why so just get it over with and there's the door, sorry you don't enjoy it anymore but don't shit it up for the rest of us that do please.

Man I don't normally say shit like this on GAF because I typically like to give people the chance to say their piece but I wish the people going "oh fuck this guy he's gone down hill/has an agenda/this that or the other thing I'm unsubbing" would just fucking silently do it and fuck off. H3H3 is a comedy channel about blasting ass, I don't want to come into the H3H3 thread to see pages and pages of people bitching about politics and how right/left Ethan is and how they're gonna unsub. It's like now that South Park is hitting a little too close to home people in that OT are all up in arms too. It's all fun and games until your thing gets made fun of and then it's all hands on deck.

You wanna unsub? Then just do it and get out and let those of us who still enjoy his videos enjoy them. You don't need our validation to click the unsub button and I doubt most of us give a shit that you're unsubbing or why so just get it over with and there's the door, sorry you don't enjoy it anymore but don't shit it up for the rest of us that do please.

I think this pov is pretty stupid as well so my response to you is just ignore us talking about unsubbing

Discussion, probably.

I guess it's just late and I'm tired but I don't see it. I get that it's a forum and it's for talking about all kinds of sides and topics and viewpoints but like, you realize you don't like the videos anymore, you unsub so you don't see them anymore, why do you continue to come into the thread? Just to talk about how you don't like it and you unsubbed? It's like people on the Gaming Side who come into a thread about a game that they'll never play for a system they don't own just to talk about how stupid they think the game is. "I hate this series and this entry doesn't look any better." What's the point of that? It doesn't really breed good discussion it's just flinging shit.

Like you don't watch the videos anymore but you see the topic and you just have to come in here and tell us all how you don't like it and you unsubbed? What is the desired outcome of that? Are you hoping that we'll convince you to come back or something?

Also the "you" I'm using here in generalized, btw. The "royal you" I guess.

I guess it's just late and I'm tired but I don't see it. I get that it's a forum and it's for talking about all kinds of sides and topics and viewpoints but like, you realize you don't like the videos anymore, you unsub so you don't see them anymore, why do you continue to come into the thread? Just to talk about how you don't like it and you unsubbed? It's like people on the Gaming Side who come into a thread about a game that they'll never play for a system they don't own just to talk about how stupid they think the game is. "I hate this series and this entry doesn't look any better." What's the point of that? It doesn't really breed good discussion it's just flinging shit.
Except people who are unsubbing were subscribers and are sharing their thoughts, whether you like it or not. Obviously they were emotionally invested.

Every post in here, positive or negative has had back and forth conversation. That's a discussion, not flinging shit. What you are asking for is a vacuum, but it's not your thread, so no.

Except people who are unsubbing were subscribers and are sharing their thoughts, whether you like it not.

Every post in here, positive, middle of the road, or negative have had back and forth conversation. That's a discussion, not flinging shit. What you are asking for is basically a vacuum. You don't own this thread.

I edited my post to further explain my point (I hope) but you're also right, I don't own this thread. Just like we don't own H3H3 and Ethan doesn't owe us anything so to just come in here and complain endlessly doesn't breed good conversation.

I'm not talking about people who are on the cusp of unsubbing, I'm talking about people who have already unsubbed. The thing you like, you don't like anymore. So what is your angle by continuing to come in to the thread that's specifically about that thing you don't like, just to talk about how much you don't like it and don't watch it anymore?

I guess what I'm having trouble with is, typically if I see a thread on GAF about something I already know I don't like, I don't go into the thread, and I don't take the time to post about how much I don't like the thing. I just ignore it. So I don't really get why people who now don't like/have unsubbed from H3H3 can't just ignore the thread and instead feel the need to come in here and complain about how much they don't like it anymore and how they unsubbed. I admit I came in too hot in my first post but seriously, the last like 5 videos Ethan's made have all been followed with posts about how much people don't like him anymore and how they're unsubbing. Ok, sorry to hear that, but why the need to drone on and on about it? Why does it feel like there are people that said they're unsubbing several videos ago still here talking about how much they don't like H3H3 anymore?

I edited my post to further explain my point (I hope) but you're also right, I don't own this thread. Just like we don't own H3H3 and Ethan doesn't owe us anything so to just come in here and complain endlessly doesn't breed good conversation.

I'm not talking about people who are on the cusp of unsubbing, I'm talking about people who have already unsubbed. The thing you like, you don't like anymore. So what is your angle by continuing to come in to the thread that's specifically about that thing you don't like, just to talk about how much you don't like it and don't watch it anymore?

I guess what I'm having trouble with is, typically if I see a thread on GAF about something I already know I don't like, I don't go into the thread, and I don't take the time to post about how much I don't like the thing. I just ignore it. So I don't really get why people who now don't like/have unsubbed from H3H3 can't just ignore the thread and instead feel the need to come in here and complain about how much they don't like it anymore and how they unsubbed. I admit I came in too hot in my first post but seriously, the last like 5 videos Ethan's made have all been followed with posts about how much people don't like him anymore and how they're unsubbing. Ok, sorry to hear that, but why the need to drone on and on about it? Why does it feel like there are people that said they're unsubbing several videos ago still here talking about how much they don't like H3H3 anymore?
I can only speak for myself, but I've already spoken my piece and haven't been going on and on about why I unsubbed episodes ago, but I will add to a discussion if I feel like I have something to add.

The reason why I still come to this thread when I see it pop up because at some point I hope I can sub again. Subscriptions are the only way to show your support (insignificant as it may be), so I don't sub and I'll keep checking out this thread and see where it goes. Since unsubbing, I've still watched a video or two, but I've also skipped some too. This thread helps with that.

There's an unsub feature in Youtube aswell, you don't have to see the videos...
I've used it, as I said a few post above! But i'll keep continuing to read this thread as much as I want and post when I feel like it. You should too.

Am I the only one that's never used the ignore feature on this site ever?

I prefer to see everything, whether it's good or bad.
Same and I agree!

And I don't, as I said a few post above. But i'll keep continuing to read this thread as much as I want and post when I feel like it. You should too.

No offense, but don't you have anything better to do with your time then discussing on an internet forum about a youtube channel you don't even care about?

No offense, but don't you have anything better to do with your time then discussing on an internet forum about a youtube channel you don't even care about?
I really don't want to keep responding to ever other person, especially because I've literally answered this a few posts ago. Actually, I reference this exact thing in the post you're responding to. I also hope you kind find some irony in your question.

I can only speak for myself, but I've already spoken my piece and haven't been going on and on about why I unsubbed episodes ago, but I will add to a discussion if I feel like I have something to add.

The reason why I still come to this thread when I see it pop up because at some point I hope I can sub again. Subscriptions are the only way to show your support (insignificant as it may be), so I don't sub and I'll keep checking out this thread and see where it goes. Since unsubbing, I've still watched a video or two, but I've also skipped some too. This thread helps with that.

Not being a subscriber is not the same thing as not caring. I come to this thread to find out which episodes i'd like to watch and what people think.

To get things back on topic. It's amazing how much of an upgrade their living situation in LA is compared to NY. I didn't think the price difference could be that drastic, so I'm assuming they're doing pretty well for themselves these days.

Maximo

Same some posters I definitely don't agree with on certain topics but doesn't mean I want to outright ignore all posts made by them, anyone that is a complete prick is usually banned anyway.

Jzero

Same some posters I definitely don't agree with on certain topics but doesn't mean I want to outright ignore all posts made by them, anyone that is a complete prick is usually banned anyway.
Same, the ignore feature is just a safe space for people who don't like their opinions challenged. The only people I would ignore are racists and homophobes, etc but those people get banned.

Yeah. With Twitter I'll block people a bunch since there's no limit to scum baggery in that.

But with Gaf, there's really only people with opinions I don't agree with, and while there's a bunch of those people, that's not enough for blocking.

I don't want to feel like I'm making a safety circle or whatever.

y2dvd

I can't tell you how many posts I disagree with on gaf. I do like seeing everything because of how baffling some opinions can be lol.

I can't tell you how many posts I disagree with on gaf. I do like seeing everything because of how baffling some opinions can be lol.

That's another reason.

Sometimes there's that one guy we all follow just to see what bullshit they say, then we all laugh at them.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
That's another reason.

Sometimes there's that one guy we all follow just to see what bullshit they say, then we all laugh at them.

Also, people are not monolithic monuments of intelligence/stupidity. You can have great opinions or taste in some things, and baffling thoughts on other things. We all have our fortes and blind spots.

So unless people demonstrate a particularly reprehensible view or are being utterly incoherent and dumb, I'm not ignoring them. I don't think I've ever ignored anyone on GAF.

ehead

I just saw his latest video, I only watched him recently (probably two months ago). I agree with everything he has mentioned. I fear good comedians are in danger because of this culture of "extremism" where you should be at either side of a see-saw. I remember Rocco of Mega64 stated in their podcast the outrage they received from doing their Pokemon Go skit. Anyway, sad day.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
lol, "upset."

They don't need to choose. You're just upset that they haven't chosen. The people that're far right/left do that often. "You're either a steadfast supporter of what I believe or you're a fucking piece of shit." How about not everyone needs to be politically opinionated? You know there're tons of people that don't even know what the right and left stand for.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
That latest video was a good one, probably a shame he had to do it. They're not all "both sides" or anything, they just blast anyone who's a crazy idiot and they don't try to reveal their own political opinions because that's not what they're here for.

Man, I now regret finding this thread. After only one day. I will continue to enjoy their videos and not caring about what people think of them. Presuming their pandering to any base is just hilarious. They've done the feminist stuff before and they've only pointed out when it's absolutely stupid, They've always joked about Joey Salads, it just happened to especially dumb when Salads decides to do what people are now accusing Ethan of.

Apparently he should stick to 100 videos and QA's if they can't even joke about someone getting mad about a hula figure and a hugh mungus joke without being called out for pandering to alt-right people.

freoleo29

Love how those pages from the other day were completely destroyed by his video but then people still don't get it and go on to write an entire page proving how right his latest video was.

Wow, good moves Ethan, Keep it up!

Riposte

EDIT:

Since I accidentally posted in this thread while looking at another one...

They don't need to choose. You're just upset that they haven't chosen. The people that're far right/left do that often. "You're either a steadfast supporter of what I believe or you're a fucking piece of shit." How about not everyone needs to be politically opinionated? You know there're tons of people that don't even know what the right and left stand for.

Someone may say something along the lines of "not having a political opinion is a political opinion". The "political" dimension of things comes down to utility (including potential). People are only as innocent as they are helpful (and not harmful). This applies to everything in the universe, let alone comedy, because something obtaining a political dimension is merely a matter of choosing to see/measure it that way (and thus, we obtain the axiom, "everything is political"). The more the game of politics is central to your person, the more demanding you will be of someone's utility (especially if the enemy has access to it); this will obviously clash with people who have a mild at best engagement with it or any specific conflict within it.

Ethan obviously has some sort of political opinion that may or may not influence how he tells jokes or how you receive them: he's not very enthusiastic on #BLM, but believes "All Lives Matter" is a dubious or unworthy response to it and Joey Salads is plainly fraudulent, moreover he's not particularly judgmental on those who have conflicting opinions (which is the point of the follow-up video). I could see how several very different people could find that harmful or at least not helpful at the same time.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
EDIT:

Since I accidentally posted in this thread while looking at another one...

Someone may say something along the lines of "not having a political opinion is a political opinion". The "political" dimension of things comes down to utility (including potential). People are only as innocent as they are helpful (and not harmful). This applies to everything in the universe, let alone comedy, because something obtaining a political dimension is merely a matter of choosing to see/measure it that way (and thus, we obtain the axiom, "everything is political"). The more the game of politics is central to your person, the more demanding you will be of someone's utility (especially if the enemy has access to it); this will obviously clash with people who have a mild at best engagement with it or any specific conflict within it.

Ethan obviously has some sort of political opinion that may or may not influence how he tells jokes or how you receive them: he's not very enthusiastic on #BLM, but believes "All Lives Matter" is a dubious or unworthy response to it and Joey Salads is plainly fraudulent, moreover he's not particularly judgmental on those who have conflicting opinions (which is the point of the follow-up video). I could see how several very different people could find that harmful or at least not helpful at the same time.

You can see it however you want, but you can't demand that someone "expose their loyalties" and expect to be reciprocated. It can be asked, but vilifying someone for not openly having/supporting an opinion isn't OK. Because no matter what you/I think, our opinions aren't always correct, so forcing someone to expose their opinion on something they choose not to is putting them in danger of being wrongly accused of a plethora of character faults. Especially by the vindictive, and absolute. "If you don't do/support this, you're this terrible thing." Which is almost always not true.

One of the things I was going to bring up was asking if people still held out hope that H3H3 would return to what they liked, and were still here to check in or be lured back, but I got distracted elsewhere online and then fell asleep (haha sounds so lewd).

I'm glad you still have hope in your heart and to reiterate, I wasn't saying "you" as in you personally. You specifically seem to have a pretty level head about it and are acting reasonable, I was more irritated with the people who essentially drive-by or shitpost. It's a small community so there's not a lot of it but being tired and coming to check out the thread and having to wade through pages and pages of ridiculous bullshit (Ethan is alt-right so he only made the Joey Salads video to quell the tide, WTF kind of tinfoil hat BS!?) it just set me off after having seen the same kind of crap for the past several weeks. I guess one could say I got... triggered? ;p

I know I'm on someone's ignore list from a long time ago but I'm pretty sure I don't have anyone for the same reason, I like to see all sides of an argument. It actually really bums me out that I'm on the one that I know of (no idea if there's a way to see who has you ignored) because it was something really stupid like "if you don't agree with X opinion I'm ignoring you all" and I liked the poster that did it too but they'll never know now ;__;

To get things back on topic. It's amazing how much of an upgrade their living situation in LA is compared to NY. I didn't think the price difference could be that drastic, so I'm assuming they're doing pretty well for themselves these days.
If Ethan and Hila are still getting stuff from their Patreon that's $3K a month, then you add in whatever they make via YouTube and other sponsors, they can probably afford a pretty sweet place here depending on what part of LA they're in. Even if they just had the Patreon and allotted $2K to rent they could find a nice 2-bedroom pretty easily I think. Here in Burbank studios and 1-bedrooms usually run anywhere from $800-1400 a month so they could find a 2-bedroom for under $2K as long as they aren't down on the coast or Beverly Hills or something. $2K in New York apparently gets you half a closet from what I'm told.

I never use it. Completely defeats the purpose of discussion and discourse as a result. It helps you strengthen or reevaluate you positions depending on new input. I believe you have to truly try to understand the position of the person you are debating with and why logically they think the way they do to make a proper call about their Judgement or the subject they are debating you on. If you are not willing to examine all information than you're doing yourself a disservice and being just as close minded as the people you criticize.

you're proving his point...

Jesus, this is exactly what Ethan was talking about. You're upset that he hasn't "chosen" your side and hasn't called the alt-right total scum, and so you break out the pitchfork and tell him to "fuck right off".

And in what world is someone not allowed to support BLM just because they made fun of a few insane girls freaking out over Hugh Mungus and a hula doll?

Ethan's point is stupid. It's the equivalent of the Fox News climate change debate. Yeah, there are people on both sides, but one is clearly wrong and the other is clearly right.

The alt-right is a hateful movement deeply rooted in racism and sexism. There is no merit to their beliefs and no justification to validating said beliefs by pandering to them for views, especially when H3H3 then go and say "But they, there's crazies on the other side too!" and point towards social justice movements promoting equality.

There being both sides to an argument or dispute doesn't necessarily mean both have merit or that people are above criticism when they try to play both sides of the field.

I'm inclined to believe that they will sooner or later because their viewership will be divided.

It's damn near impossible to not have political opinions, and doubly so when someone chooses to use political terms and pejoratives like "SJW" and "crazy feminist."

A lot of people might not know what the political left and right stand for, but Ethan does, and it's clear that he, and other Youtubers like Philip DeFranco, have no qualms exploiting both under the pretence of only being fairness and balance. And of course their fans will call out anyone that critiques their bullshit as being extremely left or right leaning absolutists - as is evident just by reading the last few pages of this thread. Y'all are like clockwork.

What about the clowns? Whose faction will they side with? They could be powerful allies or enemies.

And where does Ethan stand on issue?

I wouldn't mind seeing something on those Clowns tbh.

Top Bottom