• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

zeldablue

Oh. I forgot to mention...when I was playing the demo I found some pots inside a decrepit house. I broke them with my sword and ended up hurting myself.

I wasn't sure if it was from the pottery shards or from the sword recoiling off of the wall...

But I couldn't help but think...there are so many ways to hurt yourself in this game. I'm gonna feel like a total klutz playing through it upon release. I can already feel it.

if thats hyrule castle, then whats that castle where calamity ganon is? New Hyrule Castle? spirit tracks sequel confirmed?

The appearance of the ToT tells us that this is definitely Old Hyrule, but it may be a new castle. *shrug* In Twilight Princess, the castle is in a new location as well, with Faron Woods being the location of the old Temple of Time/Castle Town.

Apparently, there should be no argument about whether the plateau is the Sacred Grounds or Castle Town as canonically, it is the same land. As are the Lost Woods of ALTTP and the aforementioned Faron Woods.

5mm30re.png

Any ideas?

It looks like a giant manta ray

mugwhump

Hey I played the demo!

Thanks for the impressions zeldablue!

Yeah, seems making it to the stasis shrine will be hard, since I think you start in the north in the free-roam demo, and the shrine is at the very south.

But I'm kinda starting to doubt you can ride on objects you launch from stasis. We know standing on top of a launched boulder just makes it fly out from under you. If you hung onto the side of a boulder it would be like link getting hit by a train. And most of all, I think if you could do something as cool as that, treehouse would've showed it off.

zeldablue

Do you think there is story significance to the dark cloak Link has in the earlier trailers/promotional art? Or do you think it's just something that helps his stealth/body temperature/defense?

It looks similar to what the Old Man has, kinda.

stoff

I still think the Great Plateau is just a re-imagined/scaled up version of Castle Town/Hyrule Castle area and probably not much more. No movement or anything fancy going on. But who knows at this point. Would be pretty wild if the entirety of the old kingdom of Hyrule was just that plateau region.

The position of everything still doesn't make much sense if you're trying to map it to OoT's map or any of the other games really. You just have to let it go at a certain point when it comes to Zelda and how Nintendo operates with the details and geography of the series.
Yeah that's how I see it as well.
And I don't really buy the abbey being the old castle. It's way too small and close to the ToT. Also, if they really wanted to reference OoT's castle they'd definetly allude to the courtyard Link and Zelda met in, somehow.

zeldablue

Much like Song of Time, isn't it possible to hear Zelda's Lullaby during the Calamity Ganon cutscene?

Yeah...you can hear Ganon's theme in there too during that cutscene.

Also whenever you update your Sheikah Slate the "loading" sound is the opening chest build-up fanfare.

Myriadis

All videos I watched so far of this game are pure gameplay videos without much dialogue and just playing around. According to some posts here, there appear to be some videos that show some cutscenes and story? Anyone has a video like that? Direct feed would be best.

And I don't really buy the abbey being the old castle. It's way too small and close to the ToT. Also, if they really wanted to reference OoT's castle they'd definetly allude to the courtyard Link and Zelda met in, somehow.

I think that the Temple of Time location has just been somewhat retconned and we are to believe that it has always been in an area south of Hyrule Castle. It's been depicted as such in Twilight Princess and the topography in Skyward Sword lends to this idea as well.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I still think the Great Plateau is just a re-imagined/scaled up version of Castle Town/Hyrule Castle area and probably not much more. No movement or anything fancy going on. But who knows at this point. Would be pretty wild if the entirety of the old kingdom of Hyrule was just that plateau region.

The position of everything still doesn't make much sense if you're trying to map it to OoT's map or any of the other games really. You just have to let it go at a certain point when it comes to Zelda and how Nintendo operates with the details and geography of the series.
This makes the most sense to me, Zelda games always have loose approximations of old areas. Helps keep the level design fresh.

Let's take a minute to appreciate the greatness of this new Link design. I disliked how he looked in TP and SS, but here he looks like a modernised version of his classic early '90s incarnation with the long sideburns and sandy hair.

jpg

I also love how plain and unadorned his clothes are, in contrast to the overly busy LotR-inspired chainmail and tunics of the later games. Really gives him a fairytale/Saturday morning cartoon feel.

majik13

I am sure this has already been suggested or discussed. But what are the chances of the NX version, with the NX controller rumor of scroll-able shoulder buttons, that what we see with item switching in the WiiU version(arrows, weapons, etc) being tied to these scrolls wheels. For faster and hopefully more intuitive item switching on the fly.

cant find any screen grab of the actual item 'wheel' UI

snapszelda-breath-of-the-wild-gameplay-about-e3-2016-on-ignopjpg-6aac94_765w.jpg

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Yeah, I mean the position is right, but then little else is, including the plateau itself in relation to the rest of the major landmarks like Death Mountain or Lake Hylia, etc. So that doesn't mean much. Plus there is the fact that Hyrule Castle no longer exists in that timeline near the ToT. Ganondorf level the placed to the ground and built his own castle which Link destroyed. So they would have had to rebuild the whole castle again, live there for a while have it leveled, build an abbey and then move to this new Hyrule Castle further north. Makes more sense that they just built an abbey there to be near the ToT while they rebuilt Hyrule Castle/Town in a new location after Ganon wrecked the place.

saskuatch

when is NX supposed to be announced? will there be playable zelda on NX then? The game seems in pretty good shape, bit odd the release date is so far back when they had it playable already at e3.

btrboyev

when is NX supposed to be announced? will there be playable zelda on NX then? The game seems in pretty good shape, bit odd the release date is so far back when they had it playable already at e3.

I expect a formal unveiling of the NX in early December at the latest, with a March release. However I don't see them releasing it without a strong 3rd party lineup. They can't afford another long drought after a console release.

It also could have been delayed for all we know.

Do you think there is story significance to the dark cloak Link has in the earlier trailers/promotional art? Or do you think it's just something that helps his stealth/body temperature/defense?

It looks similar to what the Old Man has, kinda.
Yeah, it's a bit odd since we didn't see any head gear in the demo/trailer, though we saw Link wear something different in the 'beyond the plateau' footage (samurai get up with a man bun).
I'm guessing it's stealth related, maybe makes you harder to see but it has some draw backs since Link takes it off during the reveal trailer?

majik13

I expect a formal unveiling of the NX in early December at the latest, with a March release. However I don't see them releasing it without a strong 3rd party lineup. They can't afford another long drought after a console release.

It will launch alongside Zelda: BtoW, if they delay the NX, they will delay Zelda. But yeah no idea when it will be formally announced/shown.

Let's take a minute to appreciate the greatness of this new Link design. I disliked how he looked in TP and SS, but here he looks like a modernised version of his classic early '90s incarnation with the long sideburns and sandy hair.

.jpg

I also love how plain and unadorned his clothes are, in contrast to the overly busy LotR-inspired chainmail and tunics of the later games. Really gives him a fairytale/Saturday morning cartoon feel.
Fixed the second pic for you.
I really like it as well. We've had TP and WW Link's design for a bit too long so this is a nice change. I like his ponytail which would probably still work with his traditional hat.

Announcing it in December and launching it in March seems WAAAAY too late. I'm guessing September which would give it approx. the same time between launch as the Xbox One had between its reveal and launch.

Golnei

It worries me a little. This means that there will be no plot twist, since the final boss is always at the same spot. So far, this is the only thing that I don't like about this game at this standpoint.

Not necessarily - even if you'll always fight the same boss at the same spot, what it means in terms of the story (or even what it really is; since just how much of it is actually Ganon is ambiguous) can change depending on how much you know. And that's just assuming they mean you can beat the actual final boss from the beginning, and not just complete a shorter version of the final boss sequence that excludes several stages and/or the actual final enemy. I'm not sure about an actual 'plot twist', but they can definitely do an in-depth narrative with that restriction. Knowing who the final boss of Majora's Mask was going to be from the outset didn't hurt the way it presented its story at all, for example.

!!!

I didn't even think of this, but you can totally ride those boars found in the Great Plateau, can't you?

But can they drift?

wishdom

For those worried about shrine puzzle variety, I'm almost 100% convinced that every shrine was designed by a different game developer, so puzzle variety should be much more visible than we're used to in Zelda games.

I say this because the shrine names are almost definitely anagrams of the game developers' names (the first one is clearly Aonuma) and because the monks at the end clearly say that the shrine is a trial "I created" which really seems like a fairly meta phrasing.

Kalm Yu'goh
Kam Yatakh
Ke Numut
Owa Daim
Ja Baij

Who's pro at solving anagrams here?
I'm really bad

In review, I'm so happy with Link's design in this game. The art style has him looking like one of Miyazaki's creations, and it's beautiful. The ponytail, facial features & animations, all retain that androgynous look I've come to love. He fits in great with the world around him.

Aldric

Übermatik;207860652 said:
In review, I'm so happy with Link's design in this game. The art style has him looking like one of Miyazaki's creations, and it's beautiful. The ponytail, facial features & animations, all retain that androgynous look I've come to love. He fits in great with the world around him.

He's the best looking Link of any 3D Zelda. His models in TP or SW looked off somehow, but here he's pretty much perfect. Very expressive, cool looking and as you said suitably androgynous.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This new design made me realise just how ridiculous the green tunic and hat was :lol. I mean I like the old Links, don't get me wrong, but the redesign is so damn good.

I agree, this is my favorite Link design. Being able to change his clothes is just icing on the cake.

This new design made me realise just how ridiculous the green tunic and hat was :lol. I mean I like the old Links, don't get me wrong, but the redesign is so damn good.

I'm excited to see how it looks in context with this game. If it doesn't end up in there, I guess that's ok, but I really doubt they'd pass up that outfit.

Also my favourite Link design. Love the ponytail and longer sideburns/bangs. Hyrule in this game has an undertone of melancholy and I feel like this design has a little bit of a graceful look to it, moreso than the previous Links, that fits perfectly with that world.

KrawlMan

Only early on though. some of the other screens show him wearing more armor than link has ever worn . (Barring that money sucking TP armor)

jpg

How were they overly busy? It was a tunic with chainmail. It was simple and practical

RomanceDawn

jpg

I couldn't agree more for every point made. Those side burns really do it for me and that weird, complex Ordon farmers get up is no where to be seen!

I love the way Link looks in the art work from previous games but in game those pouty lips and that nose always got to me in TP and SS. In this game he looks like the artwork.

KingBroly

Banned
Also my favourite Link design. Love the ponytail and longer sideburns/bangs. Hyrule in this game has an undertone of melancholy and I feel like this design has a little bit of a graceful look to it, moreso than the previous Links, that fits perfectly with that world.

After 100 years, he should look like Cousin It, tbh.

My most anticipated thing about this game is how the entire world is a resource at your disposal. Everything is intelligently designed and placed in an area for a reason and purpose. However, there is also a large layer of flexibility to come up with many different approaches to any situation. Not too mention a large problem with many open worlds is the amount of boring/useless stuff shoved into the game just to fill the space. The game seems full of both important resources as well as fun and different gameplay mechanics. Looking forward to exploring a gigantic world that feels both alive, fun to explore and the freedom to do and go wherever I want as long as I've found the right resource.

On map comparisons:

It's fun to speculate, and we're probably even supposed to given how they dump us in the Temple of Time area right off the bat...but remember that the scale and scope of this world are both much bigger than other Zelda games. So don't look for 1:1 map comparisons to OoT, etc.

Top Bottom