• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi: NX will "recapture lapsed Wii players," Nintendo "addressing the family market"

Even besides the prediction here, some potentially telling sentiments from Ubisoft’s Alain Corre as to NX’s (perceived? actual?) target demographic.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubisoft-we-believe-nx-will-recapture-the-wii-audience/0168585

Ubisoft is the first Western third-party publisher to pledge support to the NX by announcing a Just Dance title for the platform. The announcement was made on stage during Ubisoft’s E3 press conference and EMEA boss Alain Corre told MCV that the firm is working closely with Nintendo on the project.

“We have always appreciated the relationship with Nintendo, the co-creation and the fact that they are really concentrating on quality - they have fantastic brands,” he told MCV at Ubisoft's E3 booth in Los Angeles.

“And they are addressing the family market in a very different way, their own way, which we appreciate. We have done a lot of products and successes with Nintendo in the past, and we believe that the NX will recapture a lot of the lapsed Wii players. So we will see when they release it, but we are confident.”

Dennis

Banned
Ugh, doesn't inspire confidence that this the big graphical upgrade that I want.

Dammit Nintendo why can't you just match MS and Sony?

How many Wii U-sized flops is it going to take?

I'm guessing they mean the Wii players that liked Nintendo stuff and buy more than gimmick games, but lapsed due to the other limiting factors of the Wii (online, power, etc).

bachikarn

Hmm... A "lapsed Wii player" to me is someone who enjoyed motion control. But the new Zelda seems to imply that the NX will have traditional controls. Guess we will see.

All this says to me is that they want a wide audience to buy the NX unlike the Wii U. Is this not the goal of every console? I personally would not read into it too much.

That said, I do think Nintendo has a difficult road ahead do them.

Panda Rin

No surprise he would say that considering Just Dance is a family game. It would be mistake to chase after the Wii's casual/family audience. No way Nintendo would do much to try to recapture that magic.

Shiggy

I think the Wii market was a flash in the pan, those people have moved to mobile games

Maybe for single player experiences. The Wii also lived a lot from multiplayer fun, which currently no manufacturer really captures. I'm sure that audience can be captured with the right "gimmick".

Personally, I think that the notion of winning back casuals from mobile gaming is, um, very optimistic, but the more intriguing part is that Corre doesn't seem to think that the oft-discussed dream of a Nintendo Corebox (Mario + Zelda + every major multiplat) is happening.

Cleve

I think the Wii market was a flash in the pan, those people have moved to mobile games

Yeah, wii always seemed like lightning in a bottle. Right place, right time for the right gimmick. I don't see a traditional device recapturing those users. They all have tablets and smartphones now.

Plum

Hmm... A "lapsed Wii player" to me is someone who enjoyed motion control. But the new Zelda seems to imply that the NX will have traditional controls. Guess we will see.

It did have some gyro controls in one of the mini-dungeons we saw, but that isn't exactly indicative of a motion control based console since everything but the Xbox One right has gyro controls built in (the X1 having the Kinect instead, but we know how that turned out)

Ivan 3414

I've seen this opinion before but there has hardly been any evidence of it being true outside of the Wii sales slowing down as mobile game industry boomed...which both were going to do irrespective of each other

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ugh, doesn't inspire confidence that this the big graphical upgrade that I want.

Dammit Nintendo why can't you just match MS and Sony?

How many Wii U-sized flops is it going to take?

Enough of them to eat up the cash the Wii generated.

Can you feel it?

office_space_kit_mat-wpugh.jpg

I wouldn't be so sure that this is coming from actually inside-information on the NX but rather is general speculation and PR talk.

Metal B

I don't think there is a Wii crowd to comeback to. Are they saying there is a gimmick for this console?
The "gimmick" will be local multiplayer and this is also what the Wii crowd loves the most of the Wii. Playing games with everybody and make the controller easy to understand. This would separate them most from the other two companies and create a console for the whole family.

Eolz

Eh. Some people at the top of some publishers always believe Nintendo is just for the family even when they aim for something else.

I'd wait for other statements before reading too much into it (even if it's too late because nintendoomed as usual)...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
and they called me crazy when I pointed out how problematic the Ubi Just Dance announcement was few days ago ;)

Rodin

I'm not sure they will be able to do that. Miyamoto also basically told them to fuck off, so maybe Ubi means that the NX concept is something that can appeal to that audience as well, but i don't see Nintendo going all in for an audience that is not going to be "loyal". That was one of the main problems in going from Wii to Wii U: the non-gamer audience didn't stick around and went mobile instead (or they just kept playing on the Wii in addition to that).

Anyway, this thread will end well. Really well. Especially thanks to that nice clickbait title.

Let's wait for someone from Nintendo to talk about a Nintendo console
Yup.

Top Bottom