• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi: NX will "recapture lapsed Wii players," Nintendo "addressing the family market"

Bishop89

lol... wii market =/= me.
And if thats the case that will be 4 gens in a row not owning a nintendo console.

Obviously ill actually wait to see it for myself before I judge. But all i know is Nintendo focusing on "family" stuff is something I want no part of.

They just need to source current mass produced components

Done and Done

And it looks like thats what they are doing.

It's not done and done. Even with mass produced components, gimmick is still bringing the price up, unless it's something relative. And for the record, no, I'm not against gimmick at all if they make it worthwile.
But let's be honest: The gamepad's only use was to make Wii U crazily underpowered and overpriced.

lol... wii market =/= me.
And if thats the case that will be 4 gens in a row not owning a nintendo console.

Obviously ill actually wait to see it for myself before I judge. But all i know is Nintendo focusing on "family" stuff is something I want no part of.

So... no Gamecube, no Wii, no GBA, no NDS, no 3DS ? Wow. By the way, none of these consoles were plagued by the "family stuff you don't want to be part of".

eh, not even buying NX at launch(will buy on black friday, dem bundles), learned my lesson with wii u but I kinda figured they would try this with NX
waggle x pro controller combo probably

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Yea, not a good sign.

Ubisoft, only 3rd party to be interested and has knowledge of the NX.

Sounds like the Wii and Wii u.

Hopefully i'm wrong.

Yeah, I am very concerned if Nintendo is trying to catch lightning in a bottle again (Wii). I can't see any new gimmick capturing so many people's interest as that one did - and even still, it was pretty fleeting. Software attach rates were nowhere near the hardware numbers and the console ended with a thud.

That casual crowd now is even harder to target, as they have way more free games on mobile devices now. Why spend $300 on a dedicated gaming console?

liquidtmd

Banned
Can you feel it?

office_space_kit_mat-wpugh.jpg

Is that a leaked NX controller pic?

Hmm... A "lapsed Wii player" to me is someone who enjoyed motion control. But the new Zelda seems to imply that the NX will have traditional controls. Guess we will see.

In what way?

Link is right handed in the demo, I thought people were suggesting that was because the game is being built with motion controls as a possibility too?

m.i.s.

Banned
This is absolutely the market Nintendo must address.

Like the Wii, Nintendo must address the casual, enthusisast, lapsed, family, female and children market that those other two manufacturer's do not cater to.

Produce a console that is so cheap, that the casual and "hardcore" cannot pass up - if only for the Nintendo games they can't get elsewhere.

That's concerning. I despise the Wii.

If it has a motion controller then I'll be skipping it.
Funny enough, if you watch Breath of the Wild, it features the most boring, downright safe traditional interface i' ve seen from Nintendo in the last years.

It is giving the impression they are doing that for the NX sake.

Hale-XF11

Somehow I don't see this inspiring unprecedented 3rd party relations, but I guess we'll see.

Nintendo are up against so many competing technologies: Mobile gaming, VR and the new and more powerful Sony/MS consoles that are on the way.

They need an ace up their sleeve.

Maxim726X

All this says to me is that they want a wide audience to buy the NX unlike the Wii U. Is this not the goal of every console? I personally would not read into it too much.

That said, I do think Nintendo has a difficult road ahead do them.

I see it as 'please be excited for our next gimmick, aimed at bringing grandma back to Nintendo!'

In other words: There is reason to be concerned about whatever gimmicky control scheme they may have planned for the NX.

sense

I'd wait for other statements before reading too much into it (even if it's too late because nintendoomed as usual)...
Can you blame them? Nintendo hasn't done much since the wii to inspire confidence that they will do right by its fans and their expectations. Nintendo knows that no matter what, their hardcore fans will suck it up and buy their console for their great games and will keep chasing the wii crowd.

Phediuk

This is absolutely the market Nintendo must address.

Like the Wii, Nintendo must address the casual, enthusisast, lapsed, family, female and children market that those other two manufacturer's do not cater to.

Produce a console that is so cheap, that the casual and "hardcore" cannot pass up - if only for the Nintendo games they can't get elsewhere.

Those markets are already catered to on mobile and PC though.

Celine

Hmm... A "lapsed Wii player" to me is someone who enjoyed motion control. But the new Zelda seems to imply that the NX will have traditional controls. Guess we will see.
Nah, he is talking about the family market or the broader market compared to WiiU's niche of nintendo faithfuls.

Oregano

Yea, not a good sign.

Hopefully i'm wrong.

Square Enix has announced DQX and XI for NX. Other third parties definitely know about it and probably have at least some software planned. Considering we know next to nothing about the system it's still a bit early for concern.

Actually a lineup of Zelda, Dragon Quest and Just Dance is relatively core-oriented!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is the only sensible move for Nintendo, no way are they getting the regular PS4/Bone-player to switch over, so they need to look somewhere else. I just hope they succeed again.

I always thought the NX was going to be a slightly stronger Wii U at a cheap price with a new gimmick. And it would have a SCD to boost power for hardcore gamers.

What do you guys expect the producer of Just Dance to say?

Producer of successful family/casual market series talks about how an upcoming system will work for their market. This is non-news.

Majukun

they can't recapture what's not there anymore... that demographic is gone in the smartphone and tablet market, if that is Nintendo's target, they are, yet again, doomed to fail, just like they were with the wii u (that targeted the same demo)

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Hopefully this will be their last console iteration/failure and they'll finally move onto being a software company and put their games on other platforms. It's inevitable.

Speculation on one quote and all...

The Wii's sales numbers were a complete fluke and not indicative of where the video game market is heading. People wanted Wii sports for the novelty and once the luster of new wore off, Wii consoles the world over universally sat under TVs collecting dust.

The wii numbers were not a complete fluke.

Nintendo had released an attractive console - it had ease of use and a good price point. It was great value for money. Consumers saw that.

The Ds achieved the same thing. Both Nintendo products that were out on the market at he same time were well marketed, well realised and easy to communicate to the consumer what they did.

I just wish people would give Nintendo a bit of a credit when it comes to their successes and always writing it of as a fluke unless you are willing to write off every success as a fluke.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Exactly what I thought they should be doing.

The market of hardcore console gamers is saturated with consoles catering to their every whim. Especially with Scorpio and Neo on the horizon. Nintendo simply can't compete there and they know it. They've basically been irrelevant for two generations.

Best case scenario is they come up with an extremely compelling gimmick akin the Wiimote and hope like hell that lightning strikes twice. A cheap, easy-to-get-into device that families can enjoy together.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Not the third party support most people here would care about

The NX won't get the 3rd party support "mos people here would care about", no matter what it is. Let it go.

Hale-XF11

Hopefully this will be their last console iteration/failure and they'll finally move onto being a software company and put their games on other platforms. It's inevitable.

I would be elated if they went 3rd party. I want their games, but I don't want to buy their systems.

Chaos17

Yea, not a good sign.

Hopefully i'm wrong.

I don't know what Ubi saw and if they're trying to sell their futur family game but I doubt Nintendo wll make a second time the same mistake they made with the Wii u and Nintendo akwnoledged many time that mistake.

Before jumping to conclusion I prefer to read more feedbacks from other media outlets than just 1.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Shocking news - Nintendo to target families and a broad market with their next consoles.

bachikarn

In what way?

Link is right handed in the demo, I thought people were suggesting that was because the game is being built with motion controls as a possibility too?

Highly doubt it. They cut GamePad functionality from the game (like the inventory selection that was present in the WW and TP remakes) and said the Wii U and NX versions will be an identical experience. Seems apparent that they cut the GamePad features to make the Wii U and NX versions very similar.

Celine

I'm not sure they will be able to do that. Miyamoto also basically told them to fuck off, so maybe Ubi means that the NX concept is something that can appeal to that audience as well, but i don't see Nintendo going all in for an audience that is not going to be "loyal". That was one of the main problems in going from Wii to Wii U: the non-gamer audience didn't stick around and went mobile instead (or they just kept playing on the Wii in addition to that).
Nintendo already has a loyal fanbase but it's too small to really support today big productions.
What Nintendo need is to appeal to a broader audience.

The problem going from Wii to WiiU wasn't that "Wii audience wasn't loyal" but that WiiU console (and software) was an unappealing product with very little hype from the beginning (meaning from the system unvealing at E3).

Ugh, doesn't inspire confidence that this the big graphical upgrade that I want.

Dammit Nintendo why can't you just match MS and Sony?

How many Wii U-sized flops is it going to take?

Because if they just matched MS and Sony power-for-power, they'd still get wiped out because they're competing for the same market and they just don't want to spend the money and they don't have the mindshare to do that. If Nintendo wants to focus on family-based gaming and being the secondary console for hardcore gamers, that's a much safer route to take.

Also, since when do you dictate what the gaming industry "wants"?

I hope it's true, which doesn't really mean anything for the "core" audience. NX should be user friendly and accessible, and offer a big library of games like Zelda.

Gotta love the reactions.

Top Bottom