• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO overtakes Pandora, Twitter, Netflix, Hangouts and Spotify in U.S DAUs

maxcriden

DAU = daily active use

current-installs-1.png

Pokémon Go has overtaken Pandora, Twitter, Netflix, Hangouts and Spotify for Daily use in the U.S, digital market intelligence firm, SimilarWeb has revealed today. If the trend continues, it is poised to take on Snapchat, WhatsApp, and other popular social apps.

As of Monday, July 11th, Pokémon GO was already installed on 10.8% of US Android phones with many users heavily using the app. SimilarWeb found that 5.9% of all US Android owners used the app on July 11th, 46% more than the 4.1% who used the Twitter app on the same day. For this metric of Daily Active Users (average daily percentage of users that used the app out of all Android users in the country) Pokémon has also quickly passed Pandora® Radio, Netflix, Hangouts, and Spotify Music.

However, examining data on Current Installs, as of July 11th, Pokémon GO has not reached the installs of Twitter or any of the previously mentioned apps, though at a 10.8% installation on all Android devices in the U.S, it is gaining ground on the more established apps current installs: Spotify Music (17%) and Twitter (20%).

Compared to two legendary games, Pokémon GO already beats both Candy Crush Saga (8.7%) and Clash of Clans (5.2%) on current Installs - this less than a week since the app’s US release. Pokémon GO is also installed on more devices than Lyft, LinkedIn, ESPN, Tinder, iFunny :), musical.ly, and Viber.

Meanwhile, interest in Niantic’s website has seen the site’s traffic for one day on July 11 eclipse the site’s entire visits for the entire month of June.

https://www.similarweb.com/blog/pokemon-go-compared

--

Study shows mobile users spending more time with Pokemon GO than Facebook

pokemon-go-usage-comparison.png

As you can see, the average iPhone user spent 33 minutes in Pokémon GO on Monday, July 11, more time than in any of the other apps we analyzed—even Facebook:

By comparison, the average user spent just over 22 total minutes in Facebook yesterday—still a considerable amount of time—and about 18 total minutes in Snapchat, the third-most-used of the apps we analyzed. Slither.io, which spent more than two weeks at No. 1 on the U.S. App Store’s downloads ranking, was used about 10 minutes on average during the same one-day period.

https://sensortower.com/blog/pokemon-go-usage-data

(Both articles via GoNintendo.com)

Neiteio

And it's just getting started. Still have to roll out in other regions (Europe, Japan, etc). Still have to add trading (a planned feature). Still have to roll out legendary raids. Still have to add the other 550+ Pokemon. Etc, etc.

Neoxon

This is insane! Imagine what will happen if they roll out the other Pokémon at a consistent rate.

alf717

Them Pokemons gotta catch em all. I see crowds of people every day trying to catch them. It is really cool seeing people gather over the game.

Neiteio

Someone should update the pic of Aonuma as the Joker during the nurse scene in Dark Knight, but instead of saying "All I needed was to bring one game to E3 to throw this convention into chaos," he'd comment on taking over the mobile market with one app.

jmdajr

The same can be said for any mobile game. It's more of a question of if the devs can keep the hype going.

No clue. I am excited about all the different possibilities going forward with augmented reality gaming.

Someone had to...break the wall down.

Kouriozan

Kalos...I mean France when? :p
That's really impressive, even if it dies quickly, it's bound to give them a lot of money and IP awareness.

Neoxon

Feels like we have been hearing this about Pokemon related stuff since 1998.
But in this case, it's inevitable for mobile games to lose their luster after a while. Phones only have so much storage space, & people eventually delete apps to make room for other stuff (music, photos, other apps, etc.).

Neiteio

Feels like we have been hearing this about Pokemon related stuff since 1998.
The games have continued to be bestsellers, but GO is the first time since the late '90s that Pokemon has been a cultural phenomenon.

I'm not sure how long this current craze will last, but I think it will go farther than most are anticipating.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm curious to see how long the success will last. The feature set right now is pretty limited and I wonder if they'll be able to roll out new stuff to keep people interested quick enough or if important, worthwhile features will come too late and everyone will have gotten burned out on the base game.

Its amazing, everyone is playing this, ESPECIALLY on college campuses. Theres loads of people hanging around pokestops and lures are going down ALL DAY, and its only summer session. Fall is gonna be insane

Its amazing, everyone is playing this, ESPECIALLY on college campuses. Theres loads of people hanging around pokestops and lures are going down ALL DAY, and its only summer session. Fall is gonna be insane
No joke one of the reasons I can't wait to go back to college this fall is this game.

Lynx_7

I think these last few years coupled with the release of GO are pretty much the perfect encapsulation of Nintendo's bipolarity as a company in the past few gens: The lowest lows followed by cultural phenomenom highs. Between the big three they're either the biggest hit or biggest flop, absolutely no middle ground. It's pretty amazing.

Now they just need to learn how to actually retain audience's interest.

faridmon

It's crazy.

Nintendo went from

"what the fuck are we gonna do."

to

"what the fuck are we gonna do with all this money"

I'm sure this will repeat again. and again.

How much is Nintendo gonna make out of this? Isn't this entirely developed by a 3rd party company?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't mean huge amounts, Sony has issued more shares than Nintendo so the market value is still higher. It's more meaningful to say that Nintendo went from being just under half Sony's value to about 80% of Sony's value in just over a week.

rhandino

Banned
How much is Nintendo gonna make out of this? Isn't this entirely developed by a 3rd party company?
Nintendo owns part of Niantic and since they also own the Pokemon trademark and part of The Pokemon Company... Yeah, they are going to make a nice buck off all of this.

Az987

all good things
Their share price shot up way too much IMO. Its almost doubled in 9 days.

I sold too early on Monday expecting more of a pullback :(

Top Bottom