• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your 'Must Have' PS Vita games?

Freeman76

I just got a new VITA and after downloading all the cross buy stuff I already own on PS4 was wondering what games are essentials for other GAF members? I bought P4G when I had a VITA a couple of years ago (sold it due to finances and now things are better I picked one up again) which was alright but I got bored before the end (thought I would mention this as I know its considered a top game for the console). I do love a good RPG but I have played SO many over the years it needs something fresh to get me into it. How about you guys?

I have £15 in my PSN Wallet, and need some inspiration!

Flunkie

Banned
Severed, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, God Eater Resurrection, Gravity Rush, Hot Shots, Persona 4 Golden (though you already played), Unit 13, Danganronpa series, Zero Escape series

Tons more.

Freedom Wars, Danganronpa 1-2 (specifically only 1 and 2), Persona 4 Golden, Persona 4 Dancing All Night, Gravity Rush, Lumines Electronic Symphony, Spelunky

Fisty

Vita is my little Vanillaware machine. Amazing selection of indies too, honestly there is tons there if youre willing to take a shot on some lesser known stuff.

DJwest

Just bought one recently, and I'm having an absolute blast. What a fantastic device. I bought Persona 4 Golden, Danganronpa 1 & 2, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Muramasa Rebirth. Also have several ps1 classics like FF7-9, FF Tactics and Vagrant Story. Again, I love my Vita, can't believe it took me so long to get one.

Vita can run PS1 Classics
This.

Project Diva F and F 2nd if you like rhythm games. The upcoming Project Diva X can be skipped, it's not especially great.

Trails of Cold Steel if you enjoyed P4G

Ehhh, P4 is one of my favourite games but ToCS didn't click with me at all. If anything, the Persona-like approach it takes holds it back more than anything.

Freeman76

Just bought one recently, and I'm having an absolute blast. What a fantastic device. I bought Persona 4 Golden, Danganronpa 1 & 2, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Muramasa Rebirth. Also have several ps1 classics like FF7-9, FF Tactics and Vagrant Story. Again, I love my Vita, can't believe it took me so long to get one.

How do you play the FF7-9? Remote play?

Ignoring psp games which there are plenty, then soul sacrifice delta, persona4g, Dangonronpa 1&2, zero escape2&3, anything vanillaware, freedom wars. There's a lot of strong indie games but I tend to focus on psp games and mix them with vita games.

From what I currently have installed and would consider good to must have:

Visual Novel: Steins;Gate, Danganronpa 1 & 2, Virtue Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma

Action Games: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1, Freedom Wars, Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, Muramasa Rebirth, Akiba's Trip Undead & Undressed, Assassin's Creed Liberation, Gravity Rush, Unit 13, EDF 2017 Portable (maybe EDF 2 too? Haven't played it yet) Uncharted Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenaries, Velocity Ultra, Super Stardust Delta

RPG Games: Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Oreshika Tainted Bloodlines, Persona 4: Golden, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Tales of Hearts R, Child of Light

Rhythm Games: Project Diva F & F2

Fighting Games: Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive 5+, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Street Fighter x Tekken, J-Stars Victory VS+ (if you like anime)

Edit: Forgot Soul Sacrifice Delta, Wipeout 2048, both Rayman Games, Tearaway LBP Vita and Virtua Tennis 4

Vanillaware Collection

Muramasa, Dragons Crown, Odin Sphere

Trails Collection
Tits 1+2 and Cold Steel

Indie Collection
Shovel Knight, Nuclear Throne, Rogue Legacy and many more than I can count

Persona 4

Hot Shots

Eblo

Soul Sacrifice Delta
Danganronpa 1, 2, and AE (specifically including AE)
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 4: Dancing All Night
Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma
Gravity Rush

I honestly cannot recommend Soul Sacrifice Delta enough. It's one of the best games I have personally played in terms of lore and storytelling. Tons of replay value, and it's even more fun with friends too.

EDIT: Oh and as a poster below indicated, definitely don't play Virtue's Last Reward or Zero Time Dilemma until after beating 999.

Danganronpa
Super Danganronpa 2
Steins;Gate
Persona 4 Golden
Virtue's Last Reward (after playing 999)
Zero Time Dilema
Grim Fandango
Shovel Knight

Those are pretty much the only ones you need, more than worth the price of admission. People have recommended other games to me like Muramasa and Freedom Wars and whatever but none of them have been good as the ones I listed. I want to try SteamWorld.

I love my vita:

Dragon's Crown
Muramasa Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden (+P4G:Dancing All Night)
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Killzone Mercenary
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Virtua Tennis 4
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Sly 4
Superbeat Xonic
Steins;Gate
Hitman GO
OlliOlli 2
Steamworld: Heist
Rogue Legacy

Axiom Verge, Severed and Tales of Hearts R all look great, but haven't played them yet.

edit: Also,
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
God of War Collection
Ratchet & Clank Collection
Sly Cooper Collection

Wonko_C

DJ Max Technika Tune is the definitive Vita title to me. It's a shame there won't ever be another game like it. The Vita's back touch gave a unique dimension to Technika's established touch-based gameplay.

CazTGG

TxK
Soul Sacrifice Delta (The original is fine, but Delta takes it to a new level)
Tearaway
Genroku Legends
Luminees Electronic Symphony

Those are among the top choices that come to mind.

StereoVsn

Don't forget PSP games. Trails of the Sky FC and SC, Ys series, Persona 3 Portable, etc... Sega Classics PSP collection is pretty awesome.

Also, Oreshika was damn good, Sly games were fun, Toukiden and God Eater games are good MH clones.

The first SAO game has great gameplay/combat but almost Google Translation quality localization (which can be hilarious in places). PS4 version had redone localization but Vita didn't get it.

Street fighter x Tekken
Dino crisis 2
Teara way
Persona 4 (but u need a guide if u want to play the game right and get the secret dungeon and best ending)
Shovel knight/ rogue legacy/ spleunky
Hotline Miami (get hotline Miami)

All the Vanillaware titles, which are Muramasa: Rebirth, Dragon's Crown, and Odin Sphere. Fantastic games, beautiful art and well-designed 2D action RPG gameplay

Persona 4 Golden, a great mix of dungeon crawler and visual novel/murder mystery

Danganronpa 1, 2, AND Another Episode. All three are worth playing, play them in release order. The first two are fantastic Visual Novels with some (mediocre) mini games. Another Episode is a spinoff puzzle-focused TPS that bridges the events of the first two games.

Tearaway, the 3D platformer everyone has been requesting for ages but that no one played. Inventive, charming, and utilizes even the most gimmicky Vita hardware features in masterful ways. Lovely art direction too.

Killzone: Mercenary, the best handheld FPS ever made and perhaps the only one that can be considered a 'great' FPS. Also the best Killzone by far. Multiplayer and single player are robust, and you can buy the ability to play with bots for $2.50. Highly recommend.

Opa-Pa

There's a lot of great stuff to play on the system but I'm sure they'll be mentioned many more times so I'll focus on just one: Severed.

I would even be my GOTY if Dark Souls 3 didn't exist. It's like Metroid Prime meets Metal Gear Rising with light dungeon crawling, it's fantastic. Couldn't resist to get the platinum right away too.

OmegaFax

Tearaway - Charming and delightful 3D platformer. Incredible music, art style, and gameplay. Also bought the PS4 version recently.

Rayman Legends

Minecraft Playstation Vita Edition - Simple, fun building game on the go. Never into Minecraft into I bought this version last year. I don't play this on the PS4 as much. My Vita is my go-to Minecraft machine.

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 - Fun even if you have no idea what a One Piece is. The story campaign is a summary of the anime/manga from what I understand. Bought this on both the PS4 and Vita. Not much difference except for enemies on screen and framerate. Very fun beat-em-up action.

Hot Shots Golf World Invitational

Killzone Mercenary

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Earth Defense Force 2

Touch My Katamari

Persona 4 Golden

Final Fantasy X/X-2

Gravity Rush is better on PS4 in every way. Just turn off the motion controls. It's a great game.

Danganronpa, Steins;Gate, Soul Sacrifice Delta and Wipeout 2048 are my must-haves. Technika Tune is pretty good but the screen size is a bit smaller than I'd like. Miku is good. I hear Superbeat is pretty good. Dragon's Crown is great, same with Rayman Origins if you've never played those two games before.

DJ Max Technika Tune is the definitive Vita title to me. It's a shame there won't ever be another game like it. The Vita's back touch gave a unique dimension to Technika's established touch-based gameplay.

Next to P4G, DJ Max Technika Tune is probably the Vita game I've spent the most time on. So good.

Freeman76

Loads of different choices, still cant figure what to drop my 15 notes on lol

I have the original soul sacrifice, it was free at some point or mega cheap, I forgot i even had it

AwShucks

Motorstorm RC
Persona 4 Golden
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma
Tearaway
OlliOlli
Rogue Legacy

Top Bottom