• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your 'Must Have' PS Vita games?

Soul Sacrifice Delta
God Eater Resurrection
Digimon

And if you're looking for an awesome classic to play, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is amazing on the Vita.

For me:

- The DanganRonpa games are absolutely essential. At least 1 & 2. Fantastic high school murder-mystery with compelling characters and plot.

- Steins;Gate has rapidly become one of my favourite Vita games. Just a beautiful story, world and soundtrack and well worth experiencing.

- The Atelier Arland games, particularly Totori and Meruru, feel like they were built for the Vita in mind and look absolutely gorgeous on the OLED screen and are perfect to play in bits and pieces on the go.

- WipEout 2048 is almost the definitive WipEout game thanks to HD/Fury being included as DLC. It's well worth picking up Pure & Pulse too thanks to their small file sizes.

- Tearaway is an experience well worth having and is honestly the only Vita game where I feel it gets all the Vita's features right (i.e. camera, back touch etc.)

- Hotline Miami 1 & 2, again, feel right at home on Vita thanks to pick up & play nature. Banging soundtracks too.

- Geometry Wars 3 and Super Stardust Delta, both perfect twin-stick shooters that really show off the Vita's dual analogues, and really pop on the handheld's screen.

- I'm not a massive fan of 2D artsy platformers, but I found Teslagrad to be an absorbing experience on Vita, helped by the fact that clearly a lot of love and care went into optimizing it for the platform.

- Ys: Memories of Celceta isn't the best Ys game, but it's well worth experiencing if you like ARPG's. Tales of Hearts R gets a shout out too.

Honestly I love my Vita, and there's many more games than this that I'd recommend, but they're the must have titles that'll never leave my library.

redcrayon

Without mentioning the PSP/PSOne back catalogue that I play a lot of, my favourites are:

Ys: Memories of Celceta
Stranger of Sword City
Freedom Wars
Trails of Cold Steel
Toukiden
Dragon's Crown
Shovel Knight
Hotline Miami
The Swapper
The Swindle
Darius Burst

sn00zer

1) Muramasa (play on Hard mode)
2) Muramasa
3) Muramasa
4) Muramasa
5) Muramasa
6) Muramasa
7) Muramasa
8) Muramasa
9) Muramasa
10) Little Big Planet Vita
11) PS1 games

EDIT: Also a ton of indie games play amazing on Vita and I actually prefer it

ultra7k

IMO, some of the best experiences on Vita, not including PSP/PSone :

Persona 4 Golden
Superbeat Xonic
La-Mulana EX
Muramasa Rebirth
Dragon's Crown
Steins;Gate
Adventures of Mana
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Danganronpa 1 & 2
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Uncharted isn't a horrible recommendation, but I would definitely tamper my expectations before going into it. Like, don't expect the same quality as the console games or anything, even if it's not a bad game by any means.

Persona 4 Golden was the reason I bought a Vita, and the only really compelling exclusive in my eyes.

That having been said, the Vita has some fantastic multiplatform games:
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Hotline Miami 1 and Hotline Miami 2
Any Vanillaware game (especially Odin Sphere Leifthrasir)
Shovel Knight
Spelunky
Danganronpa 1+2
Virtue's Last Reward
Avoid Zero Time Dillema though
Rogue Legacy
Rayman Legends

If you don't mind playing a significantly lesser version:
Tearaway (Unpopular opinion, but I prefer the PS4 version)
Gravity Rush (The PS4 version is better because it removes the lame touch screen bullshit)
The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth (The fantastic Afterbirth expansion isn't available on Vita)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (runs really poorly)

cheesekao

Soul Sacrifice Delta (A boss hunt game with a rather dark and intriguing story)
Little Big Planet Vita (A really creative platformer with a lot of extremely well done community maps)
Freedom Wars (Another boss hunt game but with you have plenty of mobility in this one due to the grappling thorn mechanic)
Rayman Origins and Legends (A couple of really fun and colourful platformers)

Korigama

Trails of Cold Steel.

Don't bother with Virtue's Last Reward or Zero Time Dilemma before playing 999, play them in order once you do (999, then VLR, then ZTD).

I bought Super Stardust, and probably will get Everbodys Gold or Zero Escape as well for now.
Everybody's Golf!! Do that! It's such an incredibly fun and challenging game. I bought it at launch, and j still regularly enjoy going back to it for a relaxing kick back game. It's a blast.

meppi

Since a wall of text is just so boring, I'll leave this here instead.

Naturally this doesn't include download only titles, but hey.

9rIhICE.jpg

trikster40

Gravity Rush
Danganronpa series
Zero Escape series
Uncharted
Steins Gate
Unit 13 (I like it, great shooter, feels like SOCOM to me)
Tearaway

Great for indie games like hotline miami, Olli Olli, limbo and spelunky.

Metal gear solid 1-3. I had never played these games before, playing them on the vita has been amazing.

I recommend uncharted as well, it may not be quite up to the standard of the main series (many rate it better than 1) but it is still really impressive and certainly scratches a similar itch.

Mephala

Soul Sacrifice Delta
gXfTVfI.png

Excellent story though you have the bare with the over dramatic narration. Very solid gameplay. This game is pretty dark though.

Muramasa + DLC
8Rki1ks.gif

Beautiful, fun and I think the DLC is probably better than the main game story wise.

Gravity Rush
If you can't play the PS4 HD version then the Vita is still great.

I enjoyed Ys Memories of Celceta but it is for the gameplay not the story.
Freedom Wars has a lot of clever ideas but poor balance and a lot of pretty shitty grind mechanics.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
1st game is on PSP. It is a slow start and the combat is not a exactly great when it comes to turn based RPGs if you've played a lot of them. The writing and character development however is fantastic despite being a bit slow.

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Much improved battle and still very well written/translated. My gripe is with the trope and general feel of the game however. Typical school setting and friendship building. It suffers far more in terms of being predictable compared to even TiTS.

BroBot

I know you had a Vita in the past but...

xjPi6Th.gif

Virtua Tennis 4 (May be hard to find now)
Dragons Crown
Hot Shots Golf
Little Big Planet (Many people argue it's the best LBP period. I agree!)
Danganronpa 1
Danganronpa 2
Any PS1 game (That is available of course)
I also recommend Metal Slug Anthology. It's such a great pick up and play game.

Freeman76

9rIhICE.jpg

Jesus how do you pick what to play haha

That is a nice collection though :)

I ended up buying the golf and also took a punt on Downwell just for something that I know nothing about whatsoever, just that it is considered to be good.

I will fire up Soul Sacrifice this week as well, are there enough changes to consider buying Delta in a sale if it clicks with me?

Mephala

I will fire up Soul Sacrifice this week as well, are there enough changes to consider buying Delta in a sale if it clicks with me?

SSD is essentially the refined/ultimate version of SS. It contains more content including enemies, quests, spells, story and allies. You have a new faction known as Grim who favours leaving things to Fate and neither sacrificing nor saving the enemies. AI is improved and don't die instantly any more, especially if you level them up.

You can import your save from SS to SSD.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Wipeout 2048
Virtual Tennis 4
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Lumines

I consider these all must haves and they are all launch games. I still think Vita had the best launch of any system - ever.

Post Launch

Persona 4: Golden
Final Fantasy 1 to X-2
Street Fighter Alpha 1-3 (PS One Classic or the PSP version for 3)
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP)
Xenogears (PS One)
Also, put a bunch of SNK stuff on there from either PSone or PSP backwards compatibility.

Soon to be must have - Garou Mark of the Wolves

And I haven't played most of the stuff mentioned in this thread.

meppi

Jesus how do you pick what to play haha

That is a nice collection though :)

I ended up buying the golf and also took a punt on Downwell just for something that I know nothing about whatsoever, just that it is considered to be good.

That's pretty much impossible at times. ;)

It's about half of my physical collection btw. Just the favourites which I'd gladly recommend to anyone.
Digital is a whole other story as well.

Right now I'm playing Hot Shots Golf and been putting in a lot of time on Alienation (PS4), but then again when I see a friend play BF4, I tend to join to have fun with them, even though I kinda hate the game.
I finally have a couple of weeks of vacation so I can play quite a bit of games, but most of the time I simply don't have the time to play as much as I'd like.

heringer

Since Vita games were already covered:

Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre

Must have games on any platform. Give Matsuno some love!

Bolivar687

Banned
Retail: LBP Vita, Killzone Mercenary, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, MGS Collection

PSN: Rogue Legacy, Velocity 2X, Stealth Inc.: A Clone in the Dark, Nuclear Throne, Hotline Miami 1 + 2, PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD, Terraria, Olli Olli 2

PSP: Tactics Ogre, Hot Shots Tennis Get a Grip, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

PS1: Megaman X4, Final Fantasy VII-IX + Tactics

FirLocke

Persona 4 Golden. Shovel Knight. SteamWorld Heist.

Those are must haves.

Lots of other great games too. Danganronpa/Zero Escape/Steins Gate for some darn great stories and the Vanillaware selection for some darn great action.

WipeOut 2048
Persona 4 Golden
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Killzone Mercenary
Gravity Rush / Daze
Tearaway
Little Big Planet
MGS Collection.
Final Fantasy X / X-2
Muramasa Rebirth
Dragons Crown

Plenty more great games too, Vita is a great system.

heringer

9rIhICE.jpg

Cool collection! I wish everybody could post their recommendations like this, heh.

Is Jak and Daxter worth it if the only way I can play it is on Vita? I've heard the port is pretty bad.

E-flux

I have been playing Yomawari for a few days now, pretty close to the end according to the trophies. As soon as that comes out in english i urge you to give it a shot, in my opinion it captures the japanese summer nights perfectly from the constant buzzing of ACs to street layouts. It's not a deep game but the story does pull some heart strings.

Fasty

Little Big Planet Vita and Tearaway. They should keep you busy for a while, and they both have sublime soundtracks

Soul Sacrifice Delta

probably the best of the Monster Hunter-likes too. Really interesting concept and aesthetic, and it has TONS of content.

LAA

Hmm, from what I own... in the order I would reccommend.

Virtues Last Reward/Zero Time Dilemma
Danganronpa 1/2/Ultra Despair Girls
Killzone Mercenary
Persona 4 Golden
MGS HD Collection
Digimon: Cyber Sleuth
Steins;Gate
Muramasa
Gravity Rush
Tearaway
Toukidens
Velocity 2x
Soul Sacrifice Delta (Just for reading the lore it's awesome!)

Haven't played it, so seems unfair to list it, but want to add God Eater to the list too.

WITHE1982

For games which are best played on the vita's I'd go for:

pjbnmk0cuprn18xdmtaw.gif

Severed: The game which saw me use the touch screen more than any other. It takes full advantage of it and despite looking incredibly easy it takes a lot to master the subtle nuances needed to perfect the fighting mechanics. Plus it's such a great game.

1421798997047827013.gif

Tearaway: The first game I played which really shows off what the vita can do. Using the rear panel and Vita camera in such a unique way. The Unfolded version on PS4 may look better but IMO the definitive way to enjoy this title is to play it on Sony's handheld.

There's also a bunch of severely underrated games I've enjoyed a lot:
Dokuro
Where is my heart
Golf Mania
Hot Shot's Golf
Velocity 2x
TxK
Ys series (Ys chronicles 1 & 2, Ys Oath In Felghana, Ys Seven and Ys: Memories of Celceta)

I loved:
FEZ, looks fantastic
Tearaway
Hotline Miami
Wipeout
Hot Shots
Gravity Rush
Super Meat Boy
Virtua Tennis 4
Mutants Blob Attack
Resogun
Rayman Legends/Origins
Sly Cooper
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
Thomas Was Alone
The Swapper
Limbo
BlazBlue EX
Dragon's Crown
Muramasa
Spelunky
Little Big Planet

PS 1 classics such as Crash Bandicoot, symphony of the night, MGS, Klonoa

Damn... Thinking about Vita makes me sad😔 Such a great machine should have deserved more

Backwards Compatibility: Tactics Ogre, the PSP remake of Final Fantasy Tactics (not the PSone vesion), Vagrant Story, Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, and Mega Man X Maverick Hunter

Actual Vita games: Severed, Olli Olli 2, LittleBigPlanet Vita, CounterSpy, Tearaway, Persona 4 Golden, Adventures of Mana, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Axiom Verge, and HotShots Golf World Invitational.

Freeman76

Downwell is crazy addictive, didnt expect so much for £3.99 :)

Everbody's golf also has me hooked, Stardust is OK but after Platinum' Resogun its a step back. Looking at Freedom Wars or Y's next

meppi

Cool collection! I wish everybody could post their recommendations like this, heh.

Is Jak and Daxter worth it if the only way I can play it is on Vita? I've heard the port is pretty bad.

It's certainly not perfect, but I'd still recommend them.
The framerate is indeed a bit wonky but the games themselves are still great.
Then again, I don't mind EDF games either. ;)
They don't get that bad though.

If it's the only way to play these games than I'd certainly pick them up, just be aware that you won't be getting the smoothest experience like with the HD collection on PS3 and I'll think you'll be fine.

pa22word

Well, there's ys and...uh...hmmm

Really that's it. I dig having it handy because it means I don't have to dig out my ps3 or 360 to play ninja gaiden, but really other than ys the system is pretty barren.

meppi

Well, there's ys and...uh...hmmm

Really that's it. I dig having it handy because it means I don't have to dig out my ps3 or 360 to play ninja gaiden, but really other than ys the system is pretty barren.

You know it's easier to just post "V!T4 H4Z n0 G4m3Z, lol" right?

Motorstorm RC

Awesome game that constantly gets forgotten! It's almost like a 3D version of those old Offroad arcade games!

offroad2b.jpg

Best of all? It's totally free to download and play! There are microtransactions for tracks/vehicles, but the base game still has plenty of content to keep you busy.

Top Bottom