• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows update removes features from Pro edition, disables Cortana off switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: More news, and not of the good kind. Update removes some gpedit options from WIndows 10 Pro edition.
Including the ability to

1) Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences (a feature where third party apps can be pushed to your computer.)

2) Turn off Windows tips.

3) Turn off lock screen.

4) Disable app store.

Original OP:

Well, looks like after the anniversary update users will not see an off switch for Cortana anymore.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3100...ana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

Cortana, the personal digital assistant that replaced Windows 10’s search function and taps into Bing’s servers to answer your queries with contextual awareness, no longer has an off switch.

Microsoft even says as much: "With the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the search box is now Cortana," Microsoft said in a statement. "Customers can expect the same great search experience powered by Bing and Microsoft Edge with the added benefit of Cortana’s personality."

It does look like Win 10 Professional users still have access to the switch through the Group Policy editor. And it can still be turned off through the registry irrespective of the Win 10 edition installed.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/26/you-will-use-cortana-says-microsoft/

"Customers can expect the same great search experience powered by Bing and Microsoft Edge with the added benefit of Cortana’s personality."
H4_Cutscene_Cortana_Rampant.png

Yeah but I made Cortana use both Chrome as the browser it opens and Google as the search engine it redirects to in the web page
Suck it

Akronis

Uh.... did people have a problem with Cortana?

Why would Microsoft want to force people to use it like this? Why would they make it so difficult to turn off now?

It doesn't matter if it's a problem or not, some people just don't prefer it. Options trump benefits always.

A-V-B

Dunno why I felt like posting this. I literally have no idea, except that I've been watching this show on a binge.

tumblr_mh900lELcn1qicr06o4_250.gif

Yes. It turns on randomly for no reason in the middle of other shit.

Even if that weren't the case, I'd still want to be able to completely deactivate it.
You can stop Cortana from uploading information to the cloud and wipe what it already has in this update

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was just preparing to upgrade to Windows 10 this morning as the deadline approaches. Now I am once again filled with doubt.

Vibranium

Banned
What if you already turned it off? Will the update make it work again?

I'll just turn it off in the registry, but yeah, super shitty.

Pro Windows 10 advocate here, this is not a good look on Microsoft. I'm all for updating the user-base to the latest and greatest but removing the option to disable a feature is removing a feature in-itself.

Here's what you won't be able to do after the update:
Use the search bar like a search bar of old, it'll be all Cortana
Here's what you will still be able to do after the update:
Stop Cortana from uploading history/searches to Microsoft
Wipe all current data Cortana has on you

xam3l

This is the first time I'm glad that Microsoft doesnt care about the country I live in. I can't even turn Cortana on. For now...

Krakn3Dfx

Yeah, this sounds about right for MS.

The more things take on the illusion of change, the more things actually stay the same.

Akronis

Here's what you won't be able to do after the update:
Use the search bar like a search bar of old, it'll be all Cortana
Here's what you will still be able to do after the update:
Stop Cortana from uploading history/searches to Microsoft
Wipe all current data Cortana has on you

We have Microsoft's word that that'll actually happen, nothing else.

Ludovico

I was just preparing to upgrade to Windows 10 this morning as the deadline approaches. Now I am once again filled with doubt.

Same...
Laptop won't even benefit from DX12, but I still want a license for my next PC.
10 sounds, still, like a complete cluster.

Akronis

That's coming straight from the PCWorld article in the OP

I understand that, but I'm heistant to trust Microsoft to actually delete whatever info they have on you. It's the same when you "delete an account" on a website or application. It just gets frozen and disabled, not actually deleted.

EDIT: what the fuck is up with quotes, shit ain't working right.

daemonic

Banned
What are we, walled-garden Mac users now? Maybe we want to be able to customize our experience as we see fit?

Took the words right out of my mouth. I have Cortana removed and disabled (it serves no use to me), hopefully this update doesn't reinstall it and override my registry changes.

NeOak

I have updates turned off precisely because of stuff like this.
Lol

Enjoy no security updates.

Seriously, all you had to do was get GWX.

Yes. It turns on randomly for no reason in the middle of other shit.

Even if that weren't the case, I'd still want to be able to completely deactivate it.
Even on Windows Phone she can be annoying due to the search button placement.

This issue is a minor inconvenience but it shows that MS are willing to take such decisions. Coupled with the fact that we have no more control over updates, it begins to look a lot worse.

4Tran

It's crap like this which makes me wonder why anyone can call Windows 10 a great operating system. Yes, you can probably find workarounds or hacks to get it to behave, but the point is that you shouldn't have to do that. Onerous features like this should have prominent enable/disable toggles so that users can use their computer they want to. Forcing features on users is about the last thing that operating systems should be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom