• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orca is a masterclass in film making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

You young pups didn't grow up with the joy of stuff like Joe Bob Briggs, saturday or friday late night movies, or the chessy movies that came on after satureday morning cartoons went off and golf wasn't on.

But you going to learn today about one of the greats.

QQLmwQW.jpg

Fuck Moby Dick, it was all about Orcinus orca. This motherfucker was a badass, dude kills it mate and does he go HAM? No it chills, goes into it's whalecave and plotted and plan. It sunk the economy of the town so that it was just him and the dude, he wanted that shit one on one. The whale was so smart that if the dude had moved to Idaho it would have found a way to get at him. The whole movie was the whale going "come at me bro"

https://youtu.be/zg9vE3pLuso

The explosion in the trailer? The Orca engineers it macgyver style.

Treat yourself to one of the great thrillers of the 70s

Alrus

My fifth grade teacher made us watch this movie in class for some reason. All I remember is that the killer whale was fucking vicious and that it felt like a kinda violent movie to show elementary school students.

Shadybiz

Haha nice. I'll have to rewatch this soon. Last time I saw it I was probably 8 or so, and I barely remember anything about it.

Slayven

My fifth grade teacher made us watch this movie in class for some reason. All I remember is that the killer whale was fucking vicious and that it felt like a kinda violent movie to show elementary school students.

Probably to warn your generation about the greatest threat to face mankind

tuffy

Definitely a Jaws ripoff, like that one with the grizzly bear.

And if memory serves,
the orca wins in the end.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Wild orcas don't intentionally kill humans though. I don't even think there's a recorded death of a human by a wild killer whale. The only animals recorded that have been intentionally killed by orcas and left but not eaten are like seal lions and dolphins (fuck traditional dolphins). This movie is a hindrance to orca conservation. Shame on you old man slayven.

Heh, I remember watching this movie when I was a kid (it came out the year I was born!) and thinking how disturbing it was how the humans killed the first Orca. This wasn't as scary as Jaws but it was definitely more unnerving (or at least it felt that way when I was a kid). I don't think I've watched the movie since I was 12 or so but I should probably revisit.
If your spouse was gutted and your unborn child was dropped on the deck of a whaling ship, you'd be out to murder the fuckers that did it too.
Oh yes, totally. The Orca never struck me as the "bad guy" in this movie.

I can vouch for this.

The film attained legendary status in my circle of friends are we had stumbled upon a solitary VHS copy at an old Blockbuster Video. We had no idea what it was. We had no expectations. And it changed our lives forever.

DonMigs85

I saw this on TV when I was a kid (alone in fact) and got scarred for life when the dead orca fetus plopped on the deck

I knew of this but always figured it would be awful, so never watched it. Spielberg had enough problems and spent a fortune trying to make a convincing great white prop, so I am slightly curious how the Orca looks.

eso76

That looked crazy. Can anybody get me the name of the music that plays in the beginning?

I thought it sounded like Ennio Morricone, but the idea he did the OST for this movie sounded ridiculous.

And yet..

https://youtu.be/nealEr3Xbro?list=RDnealEr3Xbro

it was on tv all the time when i was a kid, but i haven't seen it since.
Bo Derek, Charlotte "The Boss" Rampling and Ennio Morricone..
Writer co-wrote "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and "For a few dollars more" with Sergio Leone.

Ridley327

I love how the intro of this film goes out of its way to shoot at Jaws by having a great white show up and get immediately wrecked by the killer whale. Few people knew as little shame as Dino de Laurentiis did.

It's actually a pretty OK film, though. It's 70s PG as all hell, and it's kind of nice that they actually stick to Richard Harris' character actually being pretty regretful about what he did that causes the whale to go completely apeshit.

It's INCREDIBLE and jokes aside, the last twenty minutes seem like another movie they're so entertaining.

But yeah, I'm all about that dock destruction and the close-ups on the orca's eyes.

D i Z

That scene with the hottie love interest who had the cast on her leg. Never gonna forget that.

Edit: Completely forgot it was Bo Derek.

Also, Beaten.

Definitely a Jaws ripoff, like that one with the grizzly bear.

And if memory serves,
the orca wins in the end.

Grizzly is the name.

I haven't seen Orca since I was a youngster, but I do remember that my dad put me on, and I liked it even more than Jaws, back then. But then again I always liked some bmovies.

70's horror has a lot of cheesy, violent animal flicks.

Jay Bauman from Red Letter Media was asking for suggestions for great killer sea creature movies on Twitter a while back, presumably for a Best of the Worst. A couple others and I recommended Orca, because it's on another level. I hope he takes the suggestion, because it would be one of the best episodes they've ever done.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Jay Bauman from Red Letter Media was asking for suggestions for great killer sea creature movies on Twitter a while back, presumably for a Best of the Worst. A couple others and I recommended Orca, because it's on another level. I hope he takes the suggestion, because it would be one of the best episodes they've ever done.

yeah, Rich really would have fun with Orca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom