• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orca is a masterclass in film making

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Slayven speaks truth. If someone asked me what's one of the best things about being a Dad, (re)watching movies like this with my kids is right up there.

Kaji AF16

I saw this as a kid and never forgot it, especially the "there´s only one creature in the world that could do that" and the miscarriage scenes. Also, Morricone music...

Orcas are among my favorite animals; I have a big picture of two killer whales in my living room -gift from my wife, who loves them even more than I-.

Of all of the Jaws ripoffs, Orca is the best. As others have said, Bo Derek getting her leg bitten off disturbed me as a child.

Oersted

Wait this was rated PG? How?

Different era. Airplane! has a topless woman, a young girl who takes her coffee black (like her men), implied bestiality, on camera suicides, "You ever seen a grown man naked?" asked to a little boy... and a shitload of other things. PG 13 didn't exist.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Different era. Airplane! has a topless woman, a young girl who takes her coffee black (like her men), implied bestiality, on camera suicides, "You ever seen a grown man naked?" asked to a little boy... and a shitload of other things. PG 13 didn't exist.

Jaws is also rated pg.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Wait this was rated PG? How?

Watch a Youtube video called WTF Happened To PG-13. Prepare to have your mind blown.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I saw this on TV when I was a kid (alone in fact) and got scarred for life when the dead orca fetus plopped on the deck

And here I thought I was the only one who watched this alone as a kid and was subsequently scarred for life.

Fury451

Banned
Freaking loved Joe Bob. He introduced me to Return of the Living Dead and I believe the 1988 The Blob also

As for Orca, yeah I remember this movie being really creepy, but I haven't seen it since I was about 10 years old. Maybe I should change that.

Orca is honestly pretty amazing. There are several sequences that are just downright disquieting and the scene where the female orca aborts the fetus on the deck is just incredibly disturbing.

The score is just fantastic and it's beautifully shot as well with a great sense of place.

As absurd as it seems think it's kind of a legit good movie. It's like Dino De Laurentis just wanted to make a Jaws cash-in but the director decided to take the money and make an art movie instead.

qcf x2

I thought it sounded like Ennio Morricone, but the idea he did the OST for this movie sounded ridiculous.

And yet..

https://youtu.be/nealEr3Xbro?list=RDnealEr3Xbro

it was on tv all the time when i was a kid, but i haven't seen it since.
Bo Derek, Charlotte "The Boss" Rampling and Ennio Morricone..
Writer co-wrote "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and "For a few dollars more" with Sergio Leone.

Thanks a bunch, I was thinking along those lines but like you I figured there's no way he did something for this film. Time for me to track the movie down.

i'm more of a razorback guy myself

I found Rawhead Rex to be bizarrely creepy for something that looks so absurdly fake.

What about that Leviathan doe?

Robocop AND Ernie Hudson was in there

Leviathan is a halfway decent Alien ripoff at least. Stan Winston monster design (though not one of his better ones), Jerry Goldsmith score,Meg Foster's eyes (worthy of a separate credit all by themselves) and a good cast.

Deep Star Six is just bleh...

Karak

You young pups didn't grow up with the joy of stuff like Joe Bob Briggs, saturday or friday late night movies, or the chessy movies that came on after satureday morning cartoons went off and golf wasn't on.

But you going to learn today about one of the greats.

Fuck Moby Dick, it was all about Orcinus orca. This motherfucker was a badass, dude kills it mate and does he go HAM? No it chills, goes into it's whalecave and plotted and plan. It sunk the economy of the town so that it was just him and the dude, he wanted that shit one on one. The whale was so smart that if the dude had moved to Idaho it would have found a way to get at him. The whole movie was the whale going "come at me bro"

https://youtu.be/zg9vE3pLuso

The explosion in the trailer? The Orca engineers it macgyver style.

Treat yourself to one of the great thrillers of the 70s

Its one of the movies we have done on B movie night like Boogins, Troll, and uncle Sam. I try to find the really terrible but still higher budget older ones and love orca.
Think I am somewhere near about 600 b movies and honestly I adore watching them lol. We sit around BBQ, play video games and then sit and watch the movies. So awesome.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Pretty good B-movie. Basically the movie Jaws would have been in the hands of people you expect to make a monster movie about a 25-foot super-smart shark. But with a whale. Who is actually a dolphin.

Speaking of which, for a perfect double feature:

Mv7thM8.jpg

"He'll follow you no matter where you go."

Try to get me in Wyoming, jackass.

This Orca would find a way. Motherfucker is relentless.

My mother's life makes a pretty crazy story but one of the best parts was that Orca was the first movie she ever saw, and at 10 years old in Mexico projected onto a bedsheet, using hay bales for seating.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
That's fucking hilarious.
But all you have to do is not be in the ocean and the problem is no more.

I still remember my parents renting this on VHS when I was like 7 and it being weird as fuck. Watching that trailer, I like how the plot of the movie is basically the Orca being like "Fuckin' FIGHT ME, BRO!"

Rorschach

Only parts I remember, from when I was a kid, were the constant stare downs and the beginning where the lady is telling us that the whales think humans are "retarded."

My mother's life makes a pretty crazy story but one of the best parts was that Orca was the first movie she ever saw, and at 10 years old in Mexico projected onto a bedsheet, using hay bales for seating.
that is legit amazing.

Yeah, Orca is kinda great. I mean, its terrible, but its so interestingly terrible. Its a highly stupid movie with a hugely overqualified and committed cast (and Bo Derek), its somewhat well made except when its not (certain death scene are almost abstract in their depiction), and its score is an unqualified success but seems to belong to a movie that has much loftier aspirations then being a junky Jaws ripoff.

I dig it.

The Kree

Banned
I don't remember if this was any good. The only thing I remember about this movie was the part when the whale rips off the woman's leg.

Mascot

Even more amazing when you realise that badass whale is actually a badass dolphin.

The killer whale is one of 35 species in the oceanic dolphin family

According to some authors, the name killer whale is a mistranslation of the 18th century Spanish name asesina de ballenas which means literally whale killer. Basque whalers would have given it such name after observing pods of orcas hunting baleen whales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale

akileese

I remember watching this while drunk. Didn't the killer whale plant a corpse of another whale to throw them off it's track or something?

This Orca would find a way. Motherfucker is relentless.

One day, fisher man is going to the movie theater and there's someone in the front seats smoking a cuban cigar and cackling. After leaving the theater, he looks out to parking lot and finds--!

I remember my grandfather telling me about this movie. I think I watched it once as a kid and then once later as an adult. Good B monster movie. And yeah, the scene with the calf is pretty harsh.

Next, we should have a thread about Gorgo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom