• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshockers: NieR: Automata Will Take “A Lot Longer” than 25 Hours to Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio

Banned
Saito-san mentioned that during previous interviews at Gamescom he answered that the game would last about 25 hours, but when he told that to the staff back in Japan they said “no, it probably takes a lot longer than that.”

He also explained that you don’t need to do the side quests to clear the game and reach the ending, but there are multiple endings, so if you want to see the true one, you’ll “probably have to do the side quests as well.”

There are short side-quests with stand-alone objective that ask you to find an item or similar simple objectives, but there are also longer side quests that might have several chapters telling a longer story.

It's a short blurb, not even really a full article, but basically they did a short interview with Yosuke Saito and they fully confirmed that this game isn't just Revengeance with Yoko Taro, like some people on this forum have said it is. It's an action RPG with towns and quests and everything.

Site is banned so I won't link it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That sounds like over delivering to me. I was expecting a <10 hour experience.

Dio

Banned
That sounds like over delivering to me. I was expecting a <10 hour experience.

The original Nier could take like 50+ hours if you decided to truly do everything 100%. This isn't anything all that different in length from the first one, to be honest. I believe the average playthrough was 38 hours.

mp1990

Banned
I keep having to remind myself that this game is an actual RPG and not just another Platinum character action game (not that being "just that" would be bad by any means). I'm in for a longer length though.

BocoDragon

Why?

Playing through NieR and getting all the endings takes a good amount of time.

The original Nier could take like 50+ hours if you decided to truly do everything 100%. This isn't anything all that different in length from the first one, to be honest. I believe the average playthrough was 38 hours.

I guess I saw it less as a successor to Nier and more as a successor to Platinum character action games in a Nier skin.

Tapejara

He also explained that you don’t need to do the side quests to clear the game and reach the ending, but there are multiple endings, so if you want to see the true one, you’ll “probably have to do the side quests as well.”

Does this mean game won't follow the usual branch method where
you continue on from the ending?

DKHF

If the gameplay is amazing (which it seems to be from what they've shown) and the story is good then I'm glad it's long. Would have maybe been disappointed if it was like 6-8 hours or something (not that I expected that).

I hope replaying the game for all the endings isn't a pain in the ass Yoko Taro...

I feel like the Platinum gameplay will make that a whole lot more bearable this time. I was sick of Nier after the first two playthroughs and watched the other two on Youtube, but I replay most Platinum games just for the sheer joy of it. Having multiple playthroughs actually count towards the overall progression will be the icing on the cake.

I keep having to remind myself that this game is an actual RPG and not just another Platinum character action game (not that being "just that" would be bad by any means). I'm in for a longer length though.

Well, it's hard to see it as something more than an action game considering how amazing it looks on that side. I have a hard time too to imagine an RPG with such a good gameplay... And yet we're getting it.

Well, it's hard to see it as something more than an action game considering how amazing it looks on that side. I have a hard time too to imagine an RPG with such a good gameplay... And yet we're getting it.
Platinum has been working quite awhile on their character action game combat system. I think the next step for them as a studio is putting that combat in games that aren't just character action games like (hopefully) this
and maybe scalebound? ...please?

Ubernube

Quality, not quantity for me. I could really have cared less how long the game is so long as my play time with it is fun. Much rather have something be on the shorter side and fun till the end rather then something longer and clearly padded for length. I imagine the main story will take about 20-25 hours, with side quests and finding all the weapons to get the final ending taking up the rest.

Platinum has been working quite awhile on their character action game combat system. I think the next step for them as a studio is putting that combat in games that aren't just character action games like (hopefully) this
and maybe scalebound? ...please?

That's the thing though, Scalebound doesn't.

BocoDragon

This might be my most anticipated title. I don't think a game could sound more perfect on paper. Art, music, developer, character action + RPG gameplay, Nier legacy....

We'll see how the reality is.

Banned
Sounds great. Never played the first Nier. I assumed this was a standard 8 hour character action game but I'm glad I'm wrong haha.

Mohasus

I feel like the Platinum gameplay will make that a whole lot more bearable this time. I was sick of Nier after the first two playthroughs and watched the other two on Youtube, but I replay most Platinum games just for the sheer joy of it. Having multiple playthroughs actually count towards the overall progression will be the icing on the cake.

The third (and last) playthrough is the fastest one as you'll be killing everything in a hit or two.

Now that the combat is going to be fun, it can be as long as it needs to. I'm more interested in the the side quests though. It sounds like they're going to be exactly like the first game. I just hope the fetch quests aren't as tedious.

Whales

Banned
woa, this game is gonna deliver

I honestly expected like 6-7h of great gameplay (basically, like every platinum action game)

Jeffrey

do people want padding though?

'replaying' the game for the endings in 1 was the worst part, should allow you to skip a lot of the things that didn't change :/

The third (and last) playthrough is the fastest one as you'll be killing everything in a hit or two.

Not nearly as fast as watching the last two endings on Youtube. Like I said, I was well and truly sick of that gameplay by Ending B, and when I learnt I'd just be playing through again for a different ending cutscene I was outta there and off to Youtube with no regrets.

Have no idea how I will find the time to play this, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn and possibly Mass Effect Andromeda in early 2017...but I'll try.

This news doesn't do a whole lot for me, to be honest. I'm completely over this "the longer, the better" stuff and there are a ton of games that I've loved but still felt like a drag after 25-30 hours. Games that take less than 25 hours, especially RPGs, actually sounds pretty damn good to me. But it's Nier, so I'll play it whether it's 10 hours or 100 hours.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
do people want padding though?

'replaying' the game for the endings in 1 was the worst part, should allow you to skip a lot of the things that didn't change :/

That's what you do in every Yoko Taro game, Its part of the glitz.

Fortunately(or unfortunately depending on your perspective), he most likely did not mean replaying the game with new game+

I am not familiar with anything NieR. But I feel like the gameplay looks like something I'd love. And the first statement in the interview is talking about making the game challenging but also cool to look at while you play. Can someone describe in detail how the first game played? Anybody have game play impressions for someone interested in the mechanics? Thanks in advance

Decado

Hopefully it isn't bloated.

Usually can't be bothered with anything from SE, but Pleased this is coming to pc.

I am not familiar with anything NieR. But I feel like the gameplay looks like something I'd love. And the first statement in the interview is talking about making the game challenging but also cool to look at while you play. Can someone describe in detail how the first game played? Anybody have game play impressions for someone interested in the mechanics? Thanks in advance

The original Nier was just your average clunky light/heavy hack and slash; X and Y button combos, right trigger to dodge roll, grindy, bad hitboxes. You start with only swords, then halfway through the game you get access to heavy weapons and spears, but it's never anything remarkable. Automata doesn't really carry over anything from the first game except the magic attacks: in Nier you have a floating book following you around that can fire out various kinds of magic attacks, and in Automata you have a little robot that looks like it'll do the same.

Basically, look to something like Bayonetta or Transformers Devastation for an idea of how Automata is going to play, rather than the original Nier.

yeah that's about right

Drakengard 3 was a significantly worse grind. That game was also a little bit more upfront about its' shenanigans...at least for a bit. I think I ended that game at...40-45 hours?

Ending spoilers
Probably logged 25 hours on that damned FINAL SONG level mother effing rhythm minigame with cheap tactics Yoko Taro I hate you please I love you don't go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom