• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshockers: NieR: Automata Will Take “A Lot Longer” than 25 Hours to Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikujiro

The original Nier could take like 50+ hours if you decided to truly do everything 100%. This isn't anything all that different in length from the first one, to be honest. I believe the average playthrough was 38 hours.

That was because of awful grindy sidequests, nobody wants them.

Duxxy3

Hmmm... that sounds more like a time frame for an actual RPG, and not an action heavy game like we have seen.

Still very interested.

Durante

That's good news, not because I generally prefer longer games (I don't anymore), but because it seems indicative of a design that leans towards the "RPG" side of "ARPG" and not just the action side.

That was because of awful grindy sidequests, nobody wants them.
I don't know if I want "awful grindy" sidequests, but I do very much expect a variety of sidequests from a Nier sequel.

Ridley327

See, this is why they should remaster Nier, since more people would realize that it's actually a pretty meaty game that handles NG+ in a refreshingly non-grindy way.

Just sayin'!

Glass Rebel

They can't be worse than in original Nier. Or can they? :-/

I definitely hope they make me feel even worse than the ones in the original
wow.png
mjcry1.png

Grief.exe

See, this is why they should remaster Nier, since more people would realize that it's actually a pretty game that handles NG+ in a refreshingly non-grindy way.

Just sayin'!

If this release is successful, that is a distinct possibility. Especially with the game being released on multiple platforms.

This IS a JRPG. It always was a JRPG. It's a sequel to a JRPG.

I like some Platinum games too but if this is going to be a common refrain from people who've never played any of Yoko Taro's games I'm going to be quite annoyed.

This is a JRPG...

That gameplay certainly doesn't look like any kind of game in the JRPG genre.

It will likely end up as a nice melding between some JRPG elements, but seems to be a traditional action game in its gameplay systems.

Ridley327

If this release is successful, that is a distinct possibility. Especially with the game being released on multiple platforms.

My ideal scenario was they throw in both games so that people have the option to play through as Papa Nier or Brother Nier, but that's probably unrealistic since Replicant doesn't have an English VO track to help facilitate that easily.

Drakengard 3 was a significantly worse grind. That game was also a little bit more upfront about its' shenanigans...at least for a bit. I think I ended that game at...40-45 hours?

Ending spoilers
Probably logged 25 hours on that damned FINAL SONG level mother effing rhythm minigame with cheap tactics Yoko Taro I hate you please I love you don't go

This would be the best time to link the "Because that is the final boss" image.

Sounds good.

I don't like replaying games, so I hope the true ending can be gotten on the first playthrough. I won't be bothering with other endings (if they require replaying the game). I also hope the hardest difficulty can be played the first time, and doesn't need unlocking via replays. This is likely not going to be the case though =/

It wouldn't be in the spirit of the franchise if you could see everything about the from one playthrough. You'll most likely need to see the credits a few times before you get it all, otherwise it's not really a Drakengard/Nier game.

Though I guess if you've never played one of these games you wouldn't really understand the structure of how these games and their NG+/extending branches work.

That gameplay certainly doesn't look like any kind of game in the JRPG genre.

It will likely end up as a nice melding between some JRPG elements, but seems to be a traditional action game in its gameplay systems.

The original was a somewhat action heavy Zelda-esque with occasional stats and levels thrown in, which weren't all that prominent to begin with. This will be the same.

Zafir

All that tells me is there's going to be a lot of back tracking/retreading old content like there was in the first. :(

So the original didn't have traditional JRPG gameplay elements?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ness-of-the-original-and-a-little-more-polish
"The basic framework of the game is similar to the first," explains Taro. "You've got action bits and you've got adventuring and exploration as well. When I first got the request to set the game up from Saito-san, he requested a more action type of game, but I personally wanted to make something that was closer to Ocarina of Time, where you've got lots of field areas and you travel and do battle. I thought it was a really natural, really nice way for the game to be, so I tried to twist his brief to make it more of the kind of thing I wanted to make, and I think I've got it more of mine than his."

It's like Zelda in its map layouts, dungeon interactivity and changing genres for minigames and other subactivities. However, the emphasis on combat was/is bigger and the existence of levels and different weapons kind of make it an action RPG. The most ,,traditional" element was an abundance of side-fetchquests. Anyway, this will not be like Metal Gear Rising outside of combat either way.

Grief.exe

It was. It was an RPG developed in Japan by a Japanese team. Thus, a JRPG.

Not going to derail the thread any further, but geographical area is not how to describe a genre, nor is it an accurate description of any media as location is irrelevant to development, only relevant to origins.

What gameplay elements does it have? How is the narrative presented? These are relevant to genre choice, not location. Seeing the gameplay elements present in the original Nier, it almost seems like a stretch to label it a JRPG.

it's sort of mixture of japanese rpg elements, japanese characters-action elements, and japanese bullet-hell shooter elements.

This is still a rather reductive descrption considering all the other genre blends in the game.

So it's difficult to point to a specific genre as it dips into many.

Glass Rebel

Not going to derail the thread any further, but geographical area is not how to describe a genre, nor is it an accurate description of any media as location is irrelevant to development, only relevant to origins.

What gameplay elements does it have? How is the narrative presented? These are relevant to genre choice, not location.

The term "JRPG" is inherently inaccurate and useless but you asked.

So it's difficult to point to a specific genre as it dips into many.

No, it's really not. Like 90% of the game is pretty much an RPG with a real-time action-based combat system. All the other genres that "blend" into the games are specific to certain parts. Even saying that it has "bullet-hell shooter elements" is overselling it or oversimplifying the bullet-hell shooter genre. It has one (1) bullet-hell shooter element, namely the attack patterns that you can also see in the Nier Automata boss fight.

What gameplay elements does it have? How is the narrative presented? These are relevant to genre choice, not location. Seeing the gameplay elements present in the original Nier, it almost seems like a stretch to label it a JRPG.

Yeah, I don't know why people are so married to the JRPG moniker for Nier. There's a mostly-hidden XP system that results in 'Level Up' notifications every now and then; you get stronger over time but you don't allocate stat points or anything. It has sidequests, but, y'know, what game doesn't these days? The only real customisation you can do is equipping small percentage buffs to your weapons, and you aren't making choices that affect the outcome of the story (technically I believe you can choose to get the fourth ending before the third one and screw yourself over :p).

The rudiments are there, but in practice it's much more similar to a 3D Zelda game's structure. You fight monsters, you adventure to new towns, help out NPCs, you go into dungeons and fight bosses to collect new abilities (they even threw in a cheeky little Zelda reference to highlight the similarity).

Wagram

I still think the typical Platinum fan isn't going to like this game. It's not going to be action all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom