• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshockers: NieR: Automata Will Take “A Lot Longer” than 25 Hours to Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Yoko Taro game so I'd expect a lot of that playtime to basically be replaying levels with slightly different dialogue or something of that nature.

schopaia

Platinum's games usually let me down in the world design department (move from one fenced off arena to the next with some mild 20 second traversal segments between) and RPGs with real time combat are usually pretty unsatisfying combat wise.

A game with Platinum combat and well realized Square style RPG world be a dream come true.

Any recommendations for a game that already does this? Curious about Resonance of Fate (and Yakuza maybe?).

Kieli

Uh oh, I dunno if I like the sound of that.

I want my Platinum action games to be short and bursting to the seams with great set pieces and bosses.

Leave the 25+ hour odysseys to jRPG/strategy genre.

Dio

Banned

I want my Platinum action games to be short and bursting to the seams with great set pieces and bosses.

This IS a JRPG. It always was a JRPG. It's a sequel to a JRPG.

I like some Platinum games too but if this is going to be a common refrain from people who've never played any of Yoko Taro's games I'm going to be quite annoyed.

Soriku

This is a JRPG...

Tapejara

I like some Platinum games too but if this is going to be a common refrain from people who've never played any of Yoko Taro's games I'm going to be quite annoyed.

I'm seeing it a lot too. And I don't really blame people, as popular as NieR is on GAF a lot of people haven't played it or even heard of something like Drakengard; but it is annoying to frequently clarify that this isn't just a hack 'n' slash.

Kieli

This is a JRPG...

Sorry, I hadn't played the prequel Nier.

I'm just going off of what I see in the trailers with the boss fight. It seems to be a really fast-paced type of game, akin to DMC or Furi.

Can't blame them. The most RPG elements they've shown so far is a town that they didn't even interact with anyone in.

Chobel

cdya.gif

Why was this site banned?

Something about not vetting their sources.

True Fire

I guess I saw it less as a successor to Nier and more as a successor to Platinum character action games in a Nier skin.

15 hours of P* minigames

woa, this game is gonna deliver

I honestly expected like 6-7h of great gameplay (basically, like every platinum action game)

Oh dear lord. Platinum fans are gonna kill this game, aren't they?

I think a lot of you will hate NieR Automata, because Yoko Tako employs a lot of meta anti-gamer gameplay into his games just to fuck with people. One of the NieR endings literally
deleted your save permanently
. He'll probably target Platinum fans too, because his entire directorial style is to make people feel complex emotions through fucked up story and gameplay.

Exentryk

Sounds good.

I don't like replaying games, so I hope the true ending can be gotten on the first playthrough. I won't be bothering with other endings (if they require replaying the game). I also hope the hardest difficulty can be played the first time, and doesn't need unlocking via replays. This is likely not going to be the case though =/

Glass Rebel

The original was the perfect length for what it was. Even if you were to get all the endings it shouldn't take you much longer than 30h because iirc none of the sidequests were mandatory. NieR has one of the best NG+ so I hope they didn't add any unnecessary padding for Automata.

Golnei

If you want to play a Platinum game, go play one of their flops or something. This is literally an outsourced Square Enix JRPG franchise.

You've answered your own question - looking at how uniformly dismal the performance of their non-Rising games has been, there's not much danger of entitled Platinum fans doing any serious damage to Nier's reputation in the larger market, by number if nothing else.

I don't want to sound too blindly optimistic, but I think you'll have more people judging it for what it is than what it isn't; especially if their marketing can clearly communicate the ARPG angle going forward.

If you want to play a Platinum game, go play one of their flops or something. This is literally an outsourced Square Enix JRPG franchise.

The irony of a Nier fan calling out Platinum flops.

We're all in the same boat breh. There's a reason so many people impressed by the gifs of this game have no idea wtf the first one was.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Doubt it. Platinum game fans no longer expect anything in particular after Korra, TMNT and to a much, much lesser extent Transformers happened.

But you really shouldn't be surprised that people like me might have assumed this was a Platinum character action game first, and a Nier sequel second. After all, Metal Gear Revengance was far more of a Platinum CAG than a Metal Gear game. It wasn't 20+ hours. It wasn't a stealth game. It didn't have much in the way of back and forth tasks like a traditional MGS. It was a very linear affair like a Bayonetta with an MGS skin.

I am surprised this seems to have so much Nier in it, and I'm a fan of Nier and have followed this game since release. I guess I didn't read enough fan translations of Yoko Taro interviews to know better...

I eagerly look forward to the true ending wherein you must watch the main character rust and decay in real time over the course of a thousand years as she sits and contemplates the realization of whatever plot twist atrocity came before it and lets time eat away at her as the only fitting punishment for her immortal body.

This will all be unskippable.

lol, I remember some Nier fans getting upset at the idea that the sequel would be to much of an action game, and now we have Platinum fans getting upset about it being to much of an RPG (length wise at least). I'm pretty much digging everything that I've seen and hear though. I was worried about the length so it's nice to know that it won't be a problem.

Golnei

I eagerly look forward to the true ending wherein you must watch the main character rust and decay in real time over the course of a thousand years as she sits and contemplates the realization of whatever plot twist atrocity came before it and lets time eat away at her as the only fitting punishment for her immortal body.

This will all be unskippable.

Speaking of which, I am looking forward to the possibility of creative cybernetic body horror in the game - 9S's removed skin is a little bit too understated to be effective, but I love the skinned androids the opera boss has attached to her dress and earrings. The mass-produced android conceit has a lot of potential in that regard, they have the material to give us robot versions of Hannibal tableaus every few hours.

Exentryk

The best thing is that it is coming to PC. Which means people can potentially mod in stuff like unlocking Hardest difficulty right from the start, and even be able to access all endings on one playthrough (maybe). We also don't have to worry about needless grinding on PC.

Baalzebup

Doubt it. Platinum game fans no longer expect anything in particular after Korra, TMNT and to a much, much lesser extent Transformers happened.

But you really shouldn't be surprised that people like me might have assumed this was a Platinum character action game first, and a Nier sequel second. After all, Metal Gear Revengance was far more of a Platinum CAG than a Metal Gear game. It wasn't 20+ hours. It wasn't a stealth game. It didn't have much in the way of back and forth tasks like a traditional MGS. It was a very linear affair like a Bayonetta with an MGS skin.

I am surprised this seems to have so much Nier in it, and I'm a fan of Nier and have followed this game since release. I guess I didn't read enough fan translations of Yoko Taro interviews to know better...

Anyone being down on Platinum for Transformers is loco. The relatively low budget is apparent, but the combat is stellar, even incorporating the Transformers vehicle modes pretty well into the mix, and it channels the G1 Transformers spirit something fierce.
I'd be dubious about any claims of length, especially for a platinum game.

We will see 6 hour playthroughs within a week.
Because Dark Souls speed-runs are also indicative of the game length for a normal gamer?

DieH@rd

Banned
It's probably gonna be 5-8hrs for the single playthrough, but with need for 3-4 playghroughs to reach true ending.

I'm expecting something like that.

That's way too long for a Platinum action game.

It isn't one, though. You're going to be exploring, talking to NPCs, doing sidequests, and any number of other things in addition to the hardcore robot punching. The original Nier had text adventure segments, a Resident-Evil-esque fixed-camera-angle haunted house, a flower cross-breeding minigame nightmare and giant boars that you could ride around and pull sick drifts on. Think something more like a 3D Zelda game or action RPG than a standard character action game.

Harmen

Almost every Platinum game I have played has been ridiculously short to the point it wasn't worth full price for me, so this is a welcome change. I am aware that this is a JRPG and I welcome that.

Anyone being down on Platinum for Transformers is loco. The relatively low budget is apparent, but the combat is stellar, even incorporating the Transformers vehicle modes pretty well into the mix, and it channels the G1 Transformers spirit something fierce.

Its like people forget these were low-budget projects (and even the Transformers was okay for what it was)

Automata looks great, and will hopefully be the best of Neir and the best of Platinum (when they get actual money to develop something)

You Platinum fans that are Nier/Y. Taro virgins are going to get so pissed at this game lol.
Yoko /loves/ to fuck with people that play his games.

UrbanRats

The irony of a Nier fan calling out Platinum flops.

We're all in the same boat breh. There's a reason so many people impressed by the gifs of this game have no idea wtf the first one was.
It's just damage control before the inevitable backlash, from people expecting Bayonetta 3.

I say this as someone who's in it just because of the action stuff they showed, since i don't really care for jRPGs OR meta-shit.

I still think i'll enjoy it, as long as i go in with the right expectations.

I do find the "Platinum fans are gonna kill this game" hilariously dramatic though.

P* was pretty up-front about this being an aRPG first and foremost. It was one of the first things people on GAF talked about because of un/misinformed Nier fans getting worried.

After all, Metal Gear Revengance was far more of a Platinum CAG than a Metal Gear game.

The difference between an aRPG and an action game is much smaller than the difference between the latter and a stealth game.

They can't be worse than in original Nier. Or can they? :-/

I mean, this is still Yoko Taro we're talking about here.

Nier had the perfect length with 20 hours for the first two endings and hopefully this follows suit. I'm not sure they'd do blatant busywork for the final ending again. Taro doesn't want to do the same game twice and he's already got that point across in the first one.

Hektor

Please please PLEASE don't be because of material/ weapon grinding.

It better not be 20 hours of BS fishing quests and item harvesting

It better is. It isn't a true Yoko Taro game if you don't spend some hours loathing the game and yourself.

Nier took me 12 hours. So this one will take 20 I guess. It depends how shit the sidequests are.

Are you sure you got more than the first ending?

I wouldn't say they'll 'kill' it, cos Yoko Taro and P* games title haven't ever been really successful to begin with. But yea, the backlash here on Gaf will be real.

As long as it feels like the right length its fine. Platinum has a personal history making games that I feel are just the right length so I have faith

jonno394

I'm happy with this. Think my first Nier play through took about 20 hours, then another 5 or so for ending B. Didn't bother with C or D due to the grind involved.

Hopefully this will be more of the same :)

I was kinda disappointed that Automata will be a short game (10~ hours), but this is a really great news for me.

I very rarely satisfied with short RPG, no matter how good the gameplay is. RPGs need storytelling, which needs time.

Labolas

As a Platinum fan, I fine with this. Plus, I know what Nier is like and the only thing that it really suffers from is gameplay. So this is a happy medium for me in terms of length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom