• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The internet took a turn for the worse once memes surfaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
YOU HAVE BEEN VISITED BY THE THIRD PAGE PUPPER!

tumblr_me9yusl33d1rrgr1no1_1280.jpg

Good health and above average third-page postings will come to you, but only if you reply to this post with "way to third page post, pupper!".

Mailbox

The prevalence of memes skyrocketed a millionfold in the past 4 or 5 years. Memes existing in the past is meaningless because avoiding them was rather easy and threads were usually not flodded with that crap bar 4chan and possibly other sites I didn't frequent.

I remember most of the memes (although we didn't call them memes) of the mid 2000s as well, but subjectively I'd say troll faces were the first step to memes being everywhere. 60% of the posts in this thread make precisely zero sense to me without googling and I do not recall getting punished so quickly for missing out on some rubbish meme in the past.

You must be remembering wrong, because memes aren't really any bigger than they were when I was a senior in highschool (which was over 3 years ago). In fact, I'd say that the frequency of memes and use of them has been basically the same since I was in late middle school (so... over the last 7-8 years if not more) the only difference is the amount (or rather, altering circulation) of memes and the media they appear in.

You might think Memes are more frequent on the internet than they were before, but they aren't they're just different. Get used to it, its gonna happen again in another 7-10 years when someone else thinks that memes today were ace and memes of tomorrow are too much.

Maybe I'm old but 99% of meme's I just don't get.

Like, 'there's no need to be upset'. OK, I get the text. Fine. But why a gorilla face and a flying lawnmower?

*Splinter

Been online and on forums since '99 or '00 and can confirm that gaming communities online have deteriorated in the past ~4 years due to memes. Memes all suck. Yes, no exceptions. If it's a meme it's shit and you would have been better off stating what you intended to state in plain English or whichever language you were communicating in.
I don't know which internet you were using before, but it's always been like this.

Apologies for giving a serious answer

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can remember memes basically as soon as the internet was a thing. I remember seeing the "Ate My Balls" websites on Yahoo in the late 90s.

Arguably "All Your Base" was the first meme to really go viral and be shared amongst multiple communities, so memes as we know them are a thing since at least 2000.

Pixels

I think I heard the word meme for the first time around 2006? I think? When did the era of words on pictures memes start? I've been on there internet since 96.

You must be remembering wrong, because memes aren't really any bigger than they were when I was a senior in highschool (which was over 3 years ago). In fact, I'd say that the frequency of memes and use of them has been basically the same since I was in late middle school (so... over the last 7-8 years if not more) the only difference is the amount (or rather, altering circulation) of memes and the media they appear in.

You might think Memes are more frequent on the internet than they were before, but they aren't they're just different. Get used to it, its gonna happen again in another 7-10 years when someone else thinks that memes today were ace and memes of tomorrow are too much.
That's true you see so few scumbag steve and bad luck brians anymore

Forkball

This was the best meme. It came, made everyone laugh, had some good spinoffs, and then quietly faded away. You didn't see O RLY shirts at Hot Topic. Nowadays, there's a new meme every week. But back in the day, if something became a meme, it was a miracle. The internet wasn't as streamlined as it is now where stuff spreads from 4chan/Reddit almost instantly. If something permeated multiple communities, it was basically a stroke of luck. Now they're churned out as if from a factory. A meme factory.

spliced

Most memes are stupid or overused but I'd still rather that than random surprise scream videos that were very popular years back.

Murkas

I miss old school trolling when it was just about being silly and mischievous.

Now it's all dox and harass someone until they commit suicide.

In regards to memes, I liked it when it was just a funny picture, now it's picture, top text, bottom text, plot synopsis on the top (when you're a thing), website watermark and jpg artifacting.

Hektor

I miss old school trolling when it was just about being silly and mischievous.

Now it's all dox and harass someone until they commit suicide.

Trolling in that form still exists and is healthy, you're confusing it with being human garbage on the Internet

I've been on the internet since the early 90s and the memes were there. It's just now everyone is on the internet so they are much more prevalent

Internet has always been trash, gotta learn to ignore the dumb shit you don't like, also memes are funny, but not when it's being repeating a 1000times a day though..

Javier

Been on the Internet since 1997. Memes were definitely a thing back then. They probably weren't called that, but they were there.

I remember the Candle Jack meme. That one was very

The worst part about this sudden popularity of memes is that it's infiltrating real life. People spouting memes and thinking it's honest to god funny is just too weird to me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can remember memes basically as soon as the internet was a thing. I remember seeing the "Ate My Balls" websites on Yahoo in the late 90s.

Arguably "All Your Base" was the first meme to really go viral and be shared amongst multiple communities, so memes as we know them are a thing since at least 2000.
Not to mention Hamton the Hamster Dance was popular enough to have a dance version of the song play at clubs. I also remember "Hey, Macaroni" as my two earliest meme-ories.

I refuse to believe that someone who has been on the internet since 2000 has never seen Badger Badger Badger. That meme was everywhere in the early-mid 2000's.

Shit, Rickrolling is almost a decade old now. Memes have been around forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom