• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The internet took a turn for the worse once memes surfaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

neto

I agree OP, there where always memes but now they are fucking everywhere, it's stupid, you just need some news and bam you get "new" memes, just a few days ago a singer died (Juan Gabriel) and my Facebook got flooded with so many stupid images with text or "memes" that it wasn't even funny, even my WhatsApp groups were sending them, I mean wtf

I think part of the problem is that nowadays almost everyone can add text to an image without much problem and try to be funny, so everyone try to do it and now with social media and smartphones if you can't do a meme, no problem! someone already did so just share it! Or better yet save it and use it in conversations or comments.

Memes hit mainstream that is why the are everywhere, I think they started with the rage faces and the *le comics or at least where I live

StayDead

Memes are not some kind of recent phenomenon. OP's claimed halcyon days of the internet were plagued with All Your Base, Mr. T Ate My Balls, Hamsterdance, l33t speak, and all the other memes of its day. It's an inevitable result of mass media. In the TV era they were called "catchphrases."

All Your Base, Mr. T Ate My Balls, Hamsterdance, l33t speak

---

case in point, all classic funny and interesting memes. The memes today are so uncultured! I blame the new generation of internet users. The ones who fund and watch the *gasps* youtubers.

---

Seriously though, some memes are ok these days, but the big issue from my end is many memes are recycled memes from 10 years ago I've already seen 100s of times and the others make no sense.

1gyFLoP.jpg

A long long time ago
On my old dad's Macintosh
That newsgroup used to make me smile
And I knew the mods, all the channel's staff,
Oh boy how we all used to laugh
Full House made us happy for a while

But then "O'RLY?" made me shiver
Oh *no* exploitable delivered
That longcat just left me cold
My cyberspace got rickrolled

And I remember when I cried
When I saw Fry's damn squinty eye
Rage Guy hurt me deep inside
The day the forum died

So bye bye this here Internet, guy
Shit was cool when I did school
But then the memes ran it dry
And the good old stuff's stuck in the Wayback archive
Woah-oh this'll be the day the 'net dies
This'll be the day the 'net dies

b31.jpg

I feel like this meme is where memes went too far and got into the mainstream (or should I say the memestream :D).
Seriously internet memes really only work on the internet.
sleep tight, boss

eXistor

I'm pretty sure memes have always existed in some form or name, they just became more widespread since the internet became the standard.

MechaX

Yeah man, those memes are ruining the internet!

Why can't we go back to the good old days of hanging out in AOL chatrooms were people wanted to cyb- I mean talk about shit?

timberger

Memes themselves aren't the issue as much as simpletons thinking themselves hilariously clever by overusing the absolute fuck out of them are.

That said, some memes really are just meaningless shit from the get go. Anything from Weebl's world and that Kermit the frog drinking one for instance, or more recently "dat boi".

Just fuck off with that shit.

Machine

I hate to break it to you OP but petroglyphs are simply 10,000 year old memes. Mankind was creating memes even before creation of the printing press.

Been online and on forums since '99 or '00 and can confirm that gaming communities online have deteriorated in the past ~4 years due to memes. Memes all suck. Yes, no exceptions. If it's a meme it's shit and you would have been better off stating what you intended to state in plain English or whichever language you were communicating in.

Kids these fucking days..

Am I right OP?

Lothar

Banned
...do you have no idea how old memes are, OP?

There were memes but the annoying people weren't everywhere like they are now. Except for All Your Base, which was the only one that worked, because there was a reason for the overuse: The overuse made it appear like aliens from the bad video game were invading.

I think before 2006, they were just localized to the shit places on the internet like gamefaqs.

espher

I think before 2006, they were just localized to the shit places on the internet like gamefaqs.

Memes were a little more insular or w/e because of the lack of social media reach, but they were certainly everywhere even in the last 90s. Hell, a MUD I used to play on in the mid-90s had plenty of memes.

Lothar

Banned
AOL joining Usenet was the real point in which the Internet turned for the worse.

AOL had no memes because you couldn't post pictures in posts. We all should have appreciated AOL more.

Memes were a little more insular or w/e because of the lack of social media reach, but they were certainly everywhere even in the last 90s. Hell, a MUD I used to play on in the mid-90s had plenty of memes.

MUD? What's a MUD?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Nah, it's just too easy to get on the internet and make/share your shitty opinions/comedy/art these days. Like 95% of the people are connected to the internet 99% of the time. Social media, comments sections, YouTube, etc. help make it easy for anyone to create content (memes are a side-effect of this. Sometimes dank, often not). Back in the 90s, we were just consuming whatever content the people who had the talent/initiative to figure out how to create would put out for us. Now that any moron can create anything, and do so with as much anonymity as they desire, the internet is a breeding ground for narcissism and over-sharing. We gave every moron in the world a microphone, a camera, a stage.

Like, how far would you have to dig to get some hardline, right-wing nationalist propaganda these days? Not very far, right? Just check out your Facebook timeline and voila. How about in 1997? You'd have to go out and look for that shit. There were no links to stormfront on your Facebook timeline. No Breitbart articles in /r/all. If you wanted to see something like that, you'd need to make an effort. You'd need to go to Ask Jeeves, type in "yahoo.com" and then type in "please show me something overtly racist". Now you just check your notifications.

Ecto311

Good to see someone who sees them like I do. I made a post like a year ago about the same thing. It's like the internet is this huge echo chamber. I remember forums before them and it was way more enjoyable. Now if you make a post "whats the best meal for under $40" and people actually anticipate the fuckin italian meal picture. They will post "came here for this" as if they are expecting the hive mind to echo their thoughts or need the old rehashed shit to be there to feel good about the post.

I actually wish there was some kind of time limit or ban for memes - they do nothing to help or progress the discussions. It's this "I seen it before I want to see it again" or elbow jabbing "ha right guys remember this" kind of post that makes all forums, reddit, facebook, twitter, and all other sites annoying. Yeah we all seen the cap getting the reference gif.

Almost worse is the "capgettingreference.gif" post. It has evolved into a new form of lazy. I could copy paste the right info to make the pic show up or just post the title of it and be a smug fuck. Smug fuck it is.

It reminds me of the lazy radio station playing the same shit over and over. I don't know enough about repetition and psychology but it feels like certain people love it and keep using it in meme form. All memes are lazy, boring, unoriginal, and no help in contributing to any conversation.

BunnyBear

Been online and on forums since '99 or '00 and can confirm that gaming communities online have deteriorated in the past ~4 years due to memes. Memes all suck. Yes, no exceptions. If it's a meme it's shit and you would have been better off stating what you intended to state in plain English or whichever language you were communicating in.

Everyone thinks this based on the time period when they were most heavily involved in the online scene. For me that was about 2003 - 2008 and when I look back the nostalgia hits me like a fire hose.

I don't think today is much different at all, and in some cases is better.

SugarDave

Some memes are funny and actually have a decent amount of longevity. With the amount of people who use the internet now, it was inevitable that their life spans would generally become shorter though.

The thing I dislike the most is how everything is caked with irony now. Just be sincere for once, you nobs!

Bl@de

I love memes :D It's funny and it keeps me away from actual discussion and work. You know, things that make my head hurt

/s ... or is it ... hmmm

I think you meant demotivational posters. That was truly the turning point and it evolved to memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom