• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why won't PC do checkerboard 4K? (it does)

Renekton

With PS4Pro doing upscale 4K* using checkerboard technique, I'm wondering why PC GPUs don't start to do this? This would give us consistent 4K >60fps Ultra without needing Titan Xp.

Richard Leadbetter said:
Previously we've talked about the 4x4 checkerboard process, where a 2x2 pixel block is extrapolated out into a 4x4 equivalent - next-gen upscaling, if you like. It allows developers to construct a 2160p 4K framebuffer from half the pixels - a much closer fit for the Pro's GPU prowess.

Speaking to developers on site, several aspects of the checkerboard technology came into focus. Up until now, we've seen it as a software post-process upscale, but in actual fact, it's one of a number of new custom features backed into the PS4 Pro's GPU and as such comes with zero cost to game developers. We also understand that while it is a hardware feature, game-makers do seem to have a certain level of control - which may perhaps explain why different games exhibit varying levels of artefacting.

But the key takeaway is this - while the PlayStation 4 Pro GPU lacks the horsepower to render out challenging content at native 4K, the presentation we've seen on a number of titles clearly shows a worthwhile, highly desirable increase in fidelity over 1080p - one that does put a 4K screen to good use. Switching between full HD and checkerboard 4K, the increase in detail is simply stunning.

Seeing how Nvidia have pioneered technologies such as MFAA, G-sync, and Fast Sync, it's more than likely they're already working on something like this.

Paz

PC's can do stuff like this, but there are inherent advantages to a single closed box system with specific hardware and software designed around it as a concept.

Toki767

There are many similar techniques such as the ones being used in Quantum Break and Rainbow Six Siege, so that really means nothing.

Well other developers can do their own thing, but PC ports aren't exactly at the stage where they get optimized for stuff.

Most developers probably just expect users to toss a powerful enough PC build to run things at 4K.

GHG

Im sure AMD or Nvidia will offer something similar soon enough for those who want it.

gdt

Nvidia will have a similar tech happening soon I'd guess.

Either way, we are on the very cusp of native 4K/60fps with current gen ish games.

So for high end users it won't be needed. But for mid range stuff could be a decent compromise.

..upscaled.

That's why PC gaming is uncompromised gaming, no tricks and no secret sauce. All raw power.
Of course, if you've got the money to spend for said uncompromised gaming.

Because native 4K looks way better and will continue to be achievable by cheaper and cheaper gpu's going forward.

Also, this. Single solution GPUs for 4K / 144Hz / G-Sync will be arriving soon, I can literally taste it.

It sounds like there's some custom hardware logic involved that makes it transparent for developers to implement. Maybe AMD will implement it in hardware for Vega.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
It's nothing like a standard upscale though, reconstruction is a better term.
This made me have flashbacks to Killzone 1080pi. GAF just needs a couple days for figure it all out.

GHG

Because native 4K looks way better and will continue to be achievable by cheaper and cheaper gpu's going forward.

This is the thing that might well stop it happening. GPU manufacturers want to keep selling new GPU's and keep people upgrading. This wouldn't help them towards that goal.

Well other developers can do their own thing, but PC ports aren't exactly at the stage where they get optimized for stuff.

Most developers probably just expect users to toss a powerful enough PC build to run things at 4K.

But that's how PC works. Every game developer decides how much they want to push the hardware, and the players decide what resolution/framerate they want to play at. I don't know what "optimized for stuff" means on an open platform.

I personally don't want that stuff on PC. Native or go home.

But I guess more options are always good

That's a pretty stupid mentality to have.

If it improves IQ in a cost-effective way, it should be something researched and if possible, implemented.

Native is still too expensive and chip fabrication advancements have slowed. DF recently tested 4K and only Titan Xp does it at ultra near-consistently.

https://youtu.be/eoGzZ9g8v1o

mjp2417

Banned

Yeah, I'm not sure if I see a hard push for it on the GPU manufacturers end. The next Nvidia 70 series will likely be trading blows with a Pascal Titan so native 4K/60 at fairly uncompromised settings will soon be possible on a mass market GPU. This would have made more sense a few years ago and it would still be welcome today as an option, but I can't imagine it's a priority.

Why don't GPU's work with tiled areas on the screen?

So that, say, with a multi-GPU setup, you can give half the tiles to one, the other half to the other, instead of using every other frame.

Paz

This made me have flashbacks to Killzone 1080pi. GAF just needs a couple days for figure it all out.

Yeah but an upscale is typically just taking a base image and stretching it out to fit a larger number of pixels, this method is usually rendering 2x 1080p frames and using them to reconstruct a 4K frame, so even if you were to just call it an upscale you don't have a way to describe the base resolution it's upscaled from.

Reconstruction is far more accurate.

Gitaroo

IRC gears dev said dynamic res like Gears 4 on PC couldn't be done until DX12 arrival because it require low level hardware access. Will be interesting to see how quantum break handle it in Steam version of the game in DX11 mode. Or if they are even offering that option at all.

Because it's a poor cousin to the real thing? My 980ti can do 4K30fps+ easily. Last gen games are an easy 4K60fps+, without the need for 'remasters'. No one's going to pay premium price for 'approximation'.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I see a hard push for it on the GPU manufacturers end. The next Nvidia 70 series will likely be trading blows with a Pascal Titan so native 4K/60 at fairly uncompromised settings will soon be possible on a mass market GPU. This would have made more sense a few years ago and it would still be welcome today as an option, but I can't imagine it's a priority.

Summer 2017 will be a hot one. Volta: $600 less than a Pascal Titan, HBM2. Pls.

Momentary

Banned
More options are good, but I prefer native. I play most games now at maxed or high/maxed at 65-100FPS at 4-5K now and some last gen games at 130-200fps at 5K. I'm sure Volta will have affordable options for the masses to game at UHD resolutions without the need for it.

Momentary

Banned
Most times people cant even tell the difference between certain settings anyway. Max settings are pretty much for bench marking purposes in my opinion. Hell, a 1060 can do 4K @ 60FPS and have the game still look pretty damn good with a mix a match of settings.

patapuf

Eh many cases ultra is not max.

Durante is against "right to max", not ultra as option.

"ultra" is just a preset.

Sometimes there's super taxing effects in there or a really expensive AA solution and other times there's not.

The current high end cards can already to real 4k, and that's only getting easier as time goes forward.

Steel

Banned
in the last 3 days of benchmarking my computer i've seen insane, epic, nightmare, max, etc.

If there's an insane option, there's normally not a ultra option, if there's a nightmare option there's normally not an ultra option. It's all the same thing, no need to be obtuse about it.

Momentary

Banned
If there's an insane option, there's normally not a ultra option, if there's a nightmare option there's normally not an ultra option. It's all the same thing, no need to be obtuse about it.

Doom goes high < Ultra < Nightmare for example. I'm not being obtuse, I'm just stating facts. I don't know what your trying to get at.

Overwatch also goes from Ultra < Epic. I can try and remember the other games I benchmarked if you would like me to? It's pretty normal to do it these days.

mjp2417

Banned
Ultra is always max, at least in every game I've ever played.

It's actually pretty common for games to have Ultra settings (by "Ultra" I'm taking you to mean highest possible preset regardless of arbitrary nomenclature) without having all the sliders turned up. Both recent Tomb Raiders, Fallout 4, and recent Total Wars just off the top of my head have all been this way.

cheesekao

I'd like this. My 960M is pretty eh and I play most games sub 1080. In fact, why 4k only? Give us an option to upscale to a desired resolution.

Not really, some custom settings can still be cranked up. Your choice will be named "Custom" after that.

New Mirror's Edge has a Hyper setting :D after Ultra. Doom has Nightmare haha.

Well I haven't played those games so that makes sense!

But I assume in DF vids ultra just means maxed out, so they would use nightmare where available but still label it as ultra?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I personally don't want that stuff on PC. Native or go home.

But I guess more options are always good
That's just silly.

If you have a 4K screen but lack the GPU grunt to get there then native is not possible. The checkerboard technique is hugely superior to just upscaling a 1080p image.

demigod

That's why PC gaming is uncompromised gaming, no tricks and no secret sauce. All raw power.
Of course, if you've got the money to spend for said uncompromised gaming.

Also, this. Single solution GPUs for 4K / 144Hz / G-Sync will be arriving soon, I can literally taste it.

Soon? You're a year or 2 away still from this.

This is the thing that might well stop it happening. GPU manufacturers want to keep selling new GPU's and keep people upgrading. This wouldn't help them towards that goal.

Yup, especially Nvidia.

Top Bottom