• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why won't PC do checkerboard 4K? (it does)

pa22word

I wonder why this started to happen, it used to be MSAA which was awesome but now its crappy FXAA or even weirder and blurrier options.

I usually just inject SMAA and downsample for the cleanest IQ.

Deferred rendering, which like most games from 2010+ make use of, makes MSAA literally exponentially more expensive.

Best example these days is Mankind Divided, which is about a 20FPS per 2x sample drop.

Ardenyal

PC is not about optimizing every bit of power out of the hardware, rather just brute force it.

Gotta sell those high end GPUs somehow.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Can't the 1070, a 400$ card, already run every game out there minus a few here and there comfortably at 4k with decent settings @ 30fps?

xx60 Pascal cards might well break the 4k30 barrier Q2 next year at 250ish. This tech might not even really be worth it on PC, really.

the 1070 can do this at 4k:

Rise of the Tomb Raider / very high quality - 39fps

Dirt Rally / Ultra - 53fps

Ashes of the Singularity / extreme - 41fps

Battlefield 4 / Ultra - 60fps

Crysis 3 / Very high + FXAA - 28fps

The Witcher 3 / Ultra - 28-35fps

The Division / Ultra - 32fps

GTA V / Very High - 22-29fps

Hitman / Ultra - 40fps

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1731

The checker box method is incredibly efficient. And seeing as it's patented I don't see anyone being able to implement anything like it. You end up with costly and weird variations which are less efficient and produce ugly results. Unless they compensate the patent holders.

It's just one of hundreds of upscaling solutions. Sony didn't re-invent the wheel. They just use a good implementation.

pa22word

the 1070 can do this at 4k:

Rise of the Tomb Raider / very high quality - 39fps

Dirt Rally / Ultra - 53fps

Ashes of the Singularity / extreme - 41fps

Battlefield 4 / Ultra - 60fps

Crysis 3 / Very high + FXAA - 28fps

The Witcher 3 / Ultra - 28-35fps

The Division / Ultra - 32fps

GTA V / Very High - 22-29fps

Hitman / Ultra - 40fps

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1731

Yeah, so in the end I doubt this is even worth bring out. Consoles and PCs are vastly different beasts. While the PS4pro might be in consumers hands anywhere from 2-3 years depending on sony's PS5 timeline, PC upgrade according to their owners will and that alone. 4k monitor adoption rate stands at >2% of Steam users right now. What's the point in working on and releasing such tech in a driver profile for the current cards out there when the people probably running a 4k monitor are likely already using the highest end cards out there already and capable of acceptable framerates anyways? By the time GPU hardware catches up to 4k at midrange pricerange (presumably next year) and people start buying 4k monitors, the tech is pointless other than for legacy cards who are probably just going to stick to 1080p anyways until they upgrade again.

Vuze

I mean as an option, why not. But for me it's native or bust.

I'm annoyed to no end by the weird reconstruction technique used in QB (which I imagine is similar to what Sony is cooking up) so thanks but no thanks.

dmix90

It's baffling to see that some people are against options. What the hell? You lose nothing. Of course unless this technique is forced on you like in Quantum Break then yeah better keep this shit away. I think we should see this as an option in NVCP or AMDCP.

dr_rus

Why do OP think that PC won't (or don't) do that? You can easily implement this type of upscaling / reconstruction on PC h/w in your game.

It doesn't make sense for PC to have any kind of h/w support for this though because of a sheer number of different output configurations and the ability to actually spend these transistors on general performance in games which don't use the upscaling (and I'm unsure at the moment what h/w support Pro have tbh as this is very much a shader postprocessing stage).

G.ZZZ

Isn't this just upscale? Like straight 1 to 4 pixels upscale, not even some odd square, a perfect two squared.

No I didn't. I said people trying to emulate it come out with costly and weird results. Nothing is stopping somebody coming upto with an entirely new system (which is better).

The checker box method is incredibly efficient. And seeing as it's patented I don't see anyone being able to implement anything like it. You end up with costly and weird variations which are less efficient and produce ugly results. Unless they compensate the patent holders.

hodgy100

I'd appreciate the option personally.

running the pc version of QB on my pc was pretty usefull with their upscaling feature, gave the game a fuzzy but filmic look. i quite liked it.

diaspora

I'd appreciate the option personally.

running the pc version of QB on my pc was pretty usefull with their upscaling feature, gave the game a fuzzy but filmic look. i quite liked it.
This reminds me of when people were arguing against high IQ and framerates because it made games too "gamey". Not that you're doing it but...

orava

It's nothing like a standard upscale though, reconstruction is a better term.

vncQNax.gif

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'll buy the highest resolution monitor i can afford the pixel budget for and render natively like a decent human being.

PC is not about optimizing every bit of power out of the hardware, rather just brute force it.

Gotta sell those high end GPUs somehow.

no. sony would never do that.

they want to sell you an underclocked mid ranged GPU instead.

diaspora

They stated all other implementations would be inferior. I quoted them to reflex their inference. What was your interpretation?
That nobody would be able to replicate it without it being costly/worse making Sony's method the best. Nonsense obviously, but lol. Fucking Ubisoft is already doing something similar iirc.

That nobody would be able to replicate it without it being costly/worse making Sony's method the best. Nonsense obviously, but lol. Fucking Ubisoft is already doing something similar iirc.

So how am I wrong? I didn't imply he said it was the only way. Just making the point he stated that Sony did it 'best'.

pa22word

So is remedy and given all the buzz on twitter from Sousa, id likely has a solution running for Bethesda titles using id's software.

It's hardly a new idea, either. I mean sony can dress it up for the console warriors all they want but to claim they have some kind of lock on the idea in perpetuity and will have the best solution now and forever is kind of daft.

This is the thing that might well stop it happening. GPU manufacturers want to keep selling new GPU's and keep people upgrading. This wouldn't help them towards that goal.

This. How come gpu that ran crysis can't run gta 5. Developer should optimize their games.

Pooya

Quantum Break is already doing that. It's not exactly same but it's a reconstruction technique that creates a higher resolution final image... with artifacts.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm sure it will be an option in the PC versions of many games. No reason it can't be done there, and would be a good option.

Of which you are just lying.

Once again,

You state that any other implementation, that are not the implicated patented kind, will 'suffer'.

There is a massive shortage of the type of partial cloud processing gaming implementations MS was trying to market 3 years ago though.

Not calling MS any less than bullshit on that fact, but the implementation they were marketing is become more and more a reality. I mean in the strict sense of remote processing.

driver116

Once again,

You state that any other implementation, that are not the implicated patented kind, will 'suffer'.

Again your making stuff up which I never even wrote.
People have already mentioned in this thread games which use different systems to this which work fine.
The problems arise when someone tries to circumvent a patent to try and replicate the same results this one. As I said, costly and can produce weird results.

LordRaptor

no. sony would never do that.

they want to sell you an underclocked mid ranged GPU instead.

and a new 4K TV, and a new UHD BluRay Player, and a new HDMI passthrough sound system.

There is a massive shortage of the type of partial cloud processing gaming implementations MS was trying to market 3 years ago though.

I'm increasingly convinced it's not exactly suits intentionally misleading consumers with technological-jargon that doesn't make sense, it's suits who don't understand what it is they are trying to sell.
The highest quality pixels.

Lister

Banned
Native is still too expensive and chip fabrication advancements have slowed. DF recently tested 4K and only Titan Xp does it at ultra near-consistently.

https://youtu.be/eoGzZ9g8v1o

Consoles aren't goign to be doing even upscaled 4K on anything like ultra anyway.

I alps don't see wy developers couldn't easily do this on PC. It's up to them though, unless Nvidia/AMD can provide an out of the box/driver level solution.

Again your making stuff up which I never even wrote.
People have already mentioned in this thread games which use different systems to this which work fine.
The problems arise when someone tries to circumvent a patent to try and replicate the same results this one. As I said, costly and can produce weird results.

What are 'weird results'. And why is it a given?

pottuvoi

Banned
That patent isn't the checker box method. (Nor it affect any usual tricks to get higher resolution on GPUs. (MSAA-trick, checkerbox, temporal reconstruction etc.)

A one implementation of checker box rendering is already used in a game on PC and gives >30% improvement in performance.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/tom-clancys-rainbow-six-siege-graphics-and-performance-guide
Isn't this just upscale? Like straight 1 to 4 pixels upscale, not even some odd square, a perfect two squared.
Nope.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022990/Rendering-Rainbow-Six-Siege
Page 44 forward.

Actually if developers want to have artifact free rendering in 4k with near 1080p shading cost the basic 4xMSAA trick might be a good choice.
Gives perfect edge resolution, no temporal artifacts. (Texture resolution/shading is 1080p.)
Without any tweaking in areas where there are no polygon edges, the basic version would give identical result to 1080p 2x nearest neighbor scaling you suggested.

M3d10n

Because this requires complex interaction with the game's own renderer and isn't something that can be simply enabled on the driver. More specifically, there's a bunch of things that must be done ensure things like texture sampling is consistent across discontinuous pixels and it needs velocity data for reprojection. The PS4 pro GPU has new features specific to aid checkerboard rendering.

I 100% prefer native (and who wouldn't), but seeing as very few peoplr, even in the enthusiast space, are going to be able to do native 4k/60 with any kind of reliability any time soon, I would love an alternative solution.

LordRaptor

I 100% prefer native (and who wouldn't), but seeing as very few peoplr, even in the enthusiast space, are going to be able to do native 4k/60 with any kind of reliability any time soon, I would love an alternative solution.

I mean, you should probably be clear that you mean reliable 4k/60 of the latest AAA titles at Ultra / Super high settings, because a lot of people on "good" cards not "stupidly high end" cards can reliably hit a 4k/60fps target on older titles or on "console equivalent" detail settings

That's why PC gaming is uncompromised gaming, no tricks and no secret sauce. All raw power.
Of course, if you've got the money to spend for said uncompromised gaming.

Also, this. Single solution GPUs for 4K / 144Hz / G-Sync will be arriving soon, I can literally taste it.

Volta Titan won't be hitting anytime soon. Don't get your hopes up.

Top Bottom