• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony demos 4K/HDR enhancements for PS4 Pro at TGS (FFXV, RE7, UC4, Horizon, Infamous)

duckroll

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1020525.html

FFXV on PS4 Pro:
y5yxHMx.jpg

UC4 with HDR On/Off (left of the line is off, right of the line is on):

Horizon with HDR:

More at the link.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Images look very bright, damn. It's like someone cranked the saturation.

I wish the messaging were clearer on enhancements for 1080p sets.

I don't plan on jumping into 4K until OLEDs only cost an arm instead of an arm and a leg, but I'm still interested in whatever benefits Pro might provide in the meantime.

Lucentto

Banned
Yep, it looks like PS4 Pro is going to be the way to play PS4 games going forward. All games released after October are required to have Pro versions correct? I'm not going to be happy if games released later this year and early next year won't support it.

Yep, it looks like PS4 Pro is going to be the way to play PS4 games going forward. All games released after October are required to have Pro versions correct? I'm not going to be happy if games released later this year and early next year won't support it.

No, every PS4 game is required to boot on both (OG and Pro).

Vaa

Neo Member
According to Gameblog, FFXV on PS4 Pro looks stunning (they say almost every aspect of the game is upgraded, no more clipping, steady framerate, better vegetation, etc.)

It's still weird they're trying to show us with images online so we can all see it with our SDR screens which means we really can't see the true difference.

All games are required to be able to detect a Pro vs a standard PS4. Pro games have to have a minimum resolution of 1080p and that's more or less it. So saying all games have to have a Pro mode doesn't really mean much.

duckroll

does the ps4 pro improve the framerate or loading times for ff 15?

The article mentions that compared to the Gamescom version, it looked much better. The graphics are more detailed, the textures are sharper, the framerate is stable and feels very smooth, and the level of detail on vegetation and so on is so much better. But it is unclear if these are all exclusively Pro improvements, given how the non-Pro playable version at TGS seems to be much improved too.

wmlk

giphy.gif

I'm pretty satisfied if we get visuals of this level on PS4. Gonna be fun if we get a direct comparison.

I don't get HDR. Is it supposed to use extra resources and computational power on the console or it is something the tv will do as long as it supports it?

Im asking because every PS4 is now patched to support it. Doesn't that mean worse frame rates when you have it on?

Images look very bright, damn. It's like someone cranked the saturation.

That's how HDR comes across as when you take an off-screen picture of it, then put it up and view it on a non-HDR screen.

HDR is just a wider range of a selectable colors that a TV can use in the available color range, ultimately giving you a more accurate image. So in that sense, it really has nothign to do with contrast or brightness.

MysteryM

That looks like the Sony zd9 with its master backlight drive. That's a top tier tv folks so dial back your expectations if you game on less.

S2G_Chris

Im still not super clear how the pro works, even after all the reading ive done

Like is it basically that the games are made a lot more pretty at 1080P with better AA and such, and then the GPU can render it at 4K via checkerboarding for no additional cost, so we get a heavily improved 1080P image being upscaled if you have a 4K TV/Native if you dont.

Or is it more like, games have a mode for 1080P sets (Improve AA and whatever else) and then a separate mode for 4K where it bumps the resolution as high as possible and then uses checkerboard rendering for the 4K signal (in some cases like TLOU it is native and checkerboard isnt used). But if thats the case, for these games is there no improvement to textures/AA/Draw distance? Like is it just the PS4 version running at a higher res?

Forgive me if these answers are out there, like i know Tomb Raider has the multiple mode thing. I just cant fully wrap my head around it

Edit: Regardless though, FFXV looks phenomenal

duckroll

The Pro is just a PS4 with better hardware in it. By itself it does almost nothing. But games can take advantage of the better hardware to run and look better. Existing games have to be patched to support the enhanced features. All games going forward will support Pro features.

Lucentto

Banned
No, every PS4 game is required to boot on both (OG and Pro).

All games are required to be able to detect a Pro vs a standard PS4. Pro games have to have a minimum resolution of 1080p and that's more or less it. So saying all games have to have a Pro mode doesn't really mean much.

Well that's not very encouraging. I'm not looking forward to hoping the games I want to play in the future will take advantage of the power. Especially since I mainly play japanese games, I might actually be fucked.

S2G_Chris

The Pro is just a PS4 with better hardware in it. By itself it does almost nothing. But games can take advantage of the better hardware to run and look better. Existing games have to be patched to support the enhanced features. All games going forward will support Pro features.

Oh sorry, no i understand it at a base level, just more like how the actual extra horsepower is going to be utilized is what i was talking about.

Aters

Glad I didn't play UC4. I didn't like the impression, but I need to get the best looking game on console.

Like is it basically that the games are made a lot more pretty at 1080P with better AA and such, and then the GPU can render it at 4K via checkerboarding for no additional cost, so we get a heavily improved 1080P image being upscaled if you have a 4K TV/Native if you dont.

No. Outside of certain less demanding games that are native 2160p, PS4 Pro is natively rendering games at a resolution anywhere between 1520p - 1800p, and then checkerboard uprendering it to 2160p.

If you are using a 1080p native TV, the image will look better due to supersampling. Or, a developer could have a dedicated 1080p mode in which there is no improvement in resolution beyond that, but performance and visuals will improve. Considering at this point, a vast majority of people are using 1080p TV's, I think these developers will keep that in mind and implement methods that enhance the experience for those people. Even if it is just via supersampling. Which is nothing to scoff at, that greatly improves image quality.

RedAssedApe

Banned
some nice pop and foilage in that ffxv screen.

uncharted is a bit harder to tell with it being halfsies and the angle. should have made it straight on so you could see things equally

Asked in another thread so I'll ask here too just to get more clear answers. If I get the pro right but not a 4k tv at least not yet,lets use ffxv as an example the trees and grass look much better in the pro version will my version still look like that if I have the pro but not the 4k tv?

Sorry if this was confusingly asked. Don't know much graphics wise

Man I'm in the unfortunate financial position that I may not be able to afford Pro on launch.

I'm genuinely considering skipping the entire Q4 lineup until I can afford one. It really seems like it's going to be worth the upgrade

Also yes we need direct feed FFXV Pro footage ASAP

orochi91

Well that's not very encouraging. I'm not looking forward to hoping the games I want to play in the future will take advantage of the power. Especially since I mainly play japanese games, I might actually be fucked.
Every game after late October is required to have an enhanced mode on PS4 Pro.

Games released before that time-frame will be patched at the developers'/publishers' discretion.

duckroll

Asked in another thread so I'll ask here too just to get more clear answers. If I get the pro right but not a 4k tv at least not yet,lets use ffxv as an example the trees and grass look much better in the pro version will my version still look like that if I have the pro but not the 4k tv?

Yes. But keep in mind we don't know if all of that is entirely because of the Pro, or if they have just improved the game a lot in general.

Yes but do you get all the advantages in 4K on Pro as you would if you played the game on 1080p with pro? Or does the jump to 4K when you play it in that mode remove the extra enhancements the game has received if you had played on 1080p?

I think that's what's he's asking and that's what is cknfusing me too

Every game after late October is required to have an enhanced mode on PS4 Pro.

Games released before that time-frame will be patched at the developers'/publishers' discretion.

Enhanced mode simply means at least 1080p resolution. That's it. Games just have to be able to detect which system it's running on. Developers are not required to do anything else for supporting the PS4 Pro.

Top Bottom