• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony demos 4K/HDR enhancements for PS4 Pro at TGS (FFXV, RE7, UC4, Horizon, Infamous)

And where can I see something like that? Would a Best Buy do it?

I rarely go shopping nowadays...Amazon's making me a hermit lol

I actually went to Best Buy and asked the salesman to show me what HDR really is and for some comparisons. He was kind enough to show me and I was impressed!

Go there on a not-so-busy day and ask them to show you the benefits of HDR.

Karak

I actually went to Best Buy and asked the salesman to show me what HDR really is and for some comparisons. He was kind enough to show me and I was impressed!

Go there on a not-so-busy day and ask them to show you the benefits of HDR.

Ya most stores will do this. Our best buy has a couple different displays and they will walk you through the diff on blurays.

And its edge lit. He said proper and when it comes to games and the way they display differently than movies especailly with regards to stationary center fields. I can't see getting an edge lit right now is worth it until we see what happens. Its local dimming is also terrible.

See this is one of the major problems for 4k TV's for me right now. It feels like its just a tad too early to jump in. The good sets have insane price tags and the more affordable ones aren't great quality.

Its a bummer because I want to experience 4k and HDR but it seems like a solid set is for a manageable price for most is 2 years away

And where can I see something like that? Would a Best Buy do it?

I rarely go shopping nowadays...Amazon's making me a hermit lol

If the best buy you visit has the samsung experience section then you will be able to see the difference as all samsung demos running in that section will show you the difference.

Sony please release video files to download so I can actually view them on my 4K TV with HDR and see the difference.

This right here. I'd love to be able to download some sample videos of the games with the 4K and HDR directly from them to play on our TVs while we wait.

I had fun doing this back with the retail sample HDR clips when I first got my TV while waiting for the Samsung player to come out and the Amazon/Netflix apps on the TV to get updated.

Dear God I hope Sony makes this happen. I didn't think so before but it appears more people want the Pro than the Slim

At this point, I'm guessing that Sony wants the Pro to sell on its own merits first to early adopters. So no alternate colours, no customs, no bundled game yet. Gonna wring out the max they can out of a base 399 Pro, and leave all the frills to Slims decked out with bundles, customs, etc for this holiday.

Only next year then we'll start seeing different colour Pros, custom consoles and bundled games once Pro sales slow down post-launch and Sony wants to reenergise the excitement with additional hardware options.

Could be wrong though. I can still see a potential $499 CoD Pro bundle, but if there's any one, it'll probably be just that.

Karak

See this is one of the major problems for 4k TV's for me right now. It feels like its just a tad too early to jump in. The good sets have insane price tags and the more affordable ones aren't great quality.

Its a bummer because I want to experience 4k and HDR but it seems like a solid set is for a manageable price for most is 2 years away

Yep it absolutely is. Its best to wait it out to see how games handle it. With center lit characters and a good deal of center field display in games(character right in the middle) there is a far higher chance to see light pillaring from say a characters helmet into the darkness of the horizon. And stuff like that with edge lit. Especially when its also got bad local dimming.

Full array lit tv's are knocking down the input lag and we will see that here very soon. No reason to go into the best new field of visual fidelity with old tech actually hindering the positive we are trying to achieve.

kennyamr

I'm glad they already had the FFXV team involved in making improvements for the Pro and ready to show the footage.

My most anticipated game, is Nov 29 yet?

oti

Banned
Not interested in HDR so Uncharted and Horizon do nothing for me. All I want for now is the best possible performance for XV.

ekim

Ya a game done right is insane in HDR.

I am currently running tests on 3 tv's and showed friends a game about to be announced out of NDA(Yes I got the ok to show them).
Responses when I turned HDR on.
"Are...you fucking shitting me."
"Oh...oh....oooooo."

My favorite was from my own family member "I will give you 3000 for that thing right now."

LOL.
The pro will be nice at any resolution but man games pop with HDR.

About to be announced? Hm... when will we know about it? :p

oimori

04.jpg

05.jpg

KyleCross

Every game after late October is required to have an enhanced mode on PS4 Pro.

There is absolutely nothing confirming this. The early leak is all that said that. So far all Sony has said officially is that games released after the Pro launches "will be able to take advantage." That, mixed with how it was talked about for a moment during the reveal, is currently making it sound like it absolutely is in the hands of the developers and publishers if they want to put the extra resources into making a "Pro mode."

Chao

Curious about my tv supporting it or not. I have a Lg 9100 /910v which has a 10 bit panel, but I don't think it features an HDR mode.

Should have waited for this shitty spec madness to settle I guess.

Tv still looks unreal tho.

Yep it absolutely is. Its best to wait it out to see how games handle it. With center lit characters and a good deal of center field display in games(character right in the middle) there is a far higher chance to see light pillaring from say a characters helmet into the darkness of the horizon. And stuff like that with edge lit. Especially when its also got bad local dimming.

Full array lit tv's are knocking down the input lag and we will see that here very soon. No reason to go into the best new field of visual fidelity with old tech actually hindering the positive we are trying to achieve.

You're a good dude Karak ;-)

Thanks for the response, I always appreciate your input

Roughly what time of year do TVs usually get refreshed? I'm probably going to wait until the 2017 models come out and can grab one of those or a good 2016 set on clearance or something

ekim

Roughly what time of year do TVs usually get refreshed? I'm probably going to wait until the 2017 models come out and can grab one of those or a good 2016 set on clearance or something

I'm not completely sure but I think after CES mostly. So early in the year.

MysteryM

It's not. I dunno why people keep jumping to conclusions that it's the Z series when the article says what TV is being used!

Probably because the article is in Japanese, and at first glance the text is skipped? However on re-reading it does mention it.

SZips

Edit: ^^^ I thought Infamous looked great already. I can only imagine it in 4K. I'm a long way off from 4K though.

Hot damn, Horizon looks incredible in every single screen/video I've seen of it so far, 4K or not.

Hawk269

There is no difference between the two. HDR is HDR.

Correct, both PS4/PS4 Pro and Xbox S has the same HDR, the difference is going to come down on which 4k set you have and how it handles HDR. Some sets have lower total NITS output, while other, more high end sets have much higher NITS. So, HDR while being sent from the consoles will be the same, it will be up to the type of TV you have and how effectively it displays HDR content. HDR is HDR regardless, so if you are looking for a new set, look for one that has a high NITS (peak brightness) in your price range.

The Sony ZD9 line form what I have read has the highest NITS output so far, but those are also very expensive TV's. I have a Sony 940d which was suppose to be the high end Sony set for 2016 until the ZD9 line was announced. HDR on my set, at least for movies are incredible looking...waiting on Forza Horizon 3 to get a taste of my first HDR gaming and then Gears of War 4 then I think it will be PS4 Pro time and it's HDR enabled games.

I hate that I'm being upsold on another $400 console just to get the FFXV that obviously matches Square Enix's original vision.

I said this in the trailer thread, but this is making me want to wait for the PC version. I'm not willing to play this dumb game with Sony.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I hate that I'm being upsold on another $400 console just to get the FFXV that obviously matches Square Enix's original vision.

I said this in the trailer thread, but this is making me want to wait for the PC version. I'm not willing to play this dumb game with Sony.
Square made their own engine, blame Square if anyone.

Hawk269

It is usually around CES is when the new 2017 models are shown, but Sony pulled a fast one on everyone. The original top of the line set was the 75" 940d which came out in July 2016, then Sony about mid-august announced the new ZD9 top of the line sets and were released in small quantities at the end of august and are now more widely available, but pretty pricey. The ZD9 was shown at E3, but was told that it was a prototype and they did not say anything that it would be out this year.

So in general, it is around CES time, with some like Sony springing even more sets later in the year. As I mentioned in a post above, if you are looking for a set that does HDR, look for one that has high NITS (peak brightness) within your price range and if you can, go for run with a full array back lighting versus edge lighting.

Caayn

Sony needs to upload 4K HDR 10bit video to their site. I want to see the difference.
Yeah this needs to happen. Kinda surprised that Sony haven't already done that.

Although there would need to be a huge warning before you download it to prevent people from playing the video on a non-HDR screen and/or with a non-HDR capable player.

wmlk

Square's not free of blame either.
Why are you blaming them for making the game available on what's essentially a new and more powerful system? How's this any different from a simultaneous PC release?

They still optimized it on PS4. That version of the game would have existed regardless.

DSix

Banned

Hear! Hear!

I was initially getting the PS4 version. But now I'd just feel shafted by playing it on the OG console. I'll just wait for PC instead.

Vuze

Sony needs to upload 4K HDR 10bit video to their site. I want to see the difference.
ikr? Craving more HDR footage after the two LG demos I watched yesterday night literally blew my socks off (and that is on the midrange Sony TV I have).

Top Bottom