• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seeing people with Neo-Nazi tattoos in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

Just got into a crowded elevator in an office building, and one of the other passengers had a big "88" tattoo on this side of his shaved head. Looked relatively "fresh" too.

http://www.adl.org/combating-hate/hate-on-display/c/88.html

He had a large number of other tattoos, but I didn't really feel like staring!

Since I've started paying attention, I'd say I see obvious, prominent Neo-Nazi tattoos about once a year (in which time I've lived in coastal cities on the east and west coasts of the U.S.) and I'm not exactly looking for them.

Scary stuff. I guess some of it could be prison-related, but that doesn't make it better.

Kinyou

nI2qrlW.gif

Glad to say that while I've seen a lot of shitty, clichéd and tattoo's which are an exercise in bad taste, I've yet to meet anyone with Neo Nazi tattoos that I know of.

FStop7

Banned
I noticed some 88 stuff on Japanese streetwear and it made me wonder what the designer was thinking. Same for designers who incorporate red or blue bandanas into their stuff like it's some kind of fashionable thing without considering what they represent.

I've seen more than a few; I work in a hospital and see all sorts of ink and white supremacist/Neo-Nazi stuff shows up every once in a while. Always a little shocking when they seem like fairly nice people, especially in a room full of black nurses. Can't say I see it very often out in public but I guess I don't really frequent the kind of bars or locals as them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I know a couple of neo nazis with face tattoos... which is funny since they're Argentinos lol

Kater

Banned
I often saw a group of Neo-Nazis proudly marching around in their militant get-up with boots and bomber jackets but I don't think they had any tattoos yet at the time since they were all about 15 back then. They never really wore anything that was directly related to Hitler and the Third Reich though since that would get them into jail really quickly here.

Is that legal in America? I'm not all too familiar with the laws on Nazi symbols in the US. Does Free Speech protect that too?

Haven't seen any people like that, thankfully.

It's always bizarre though to me to think that people apply meaning like that to numbers, shapes or symbols.
Like 14, 18 and 88 are part of white supremacy/nazi symbolism.

Like "This is a racist handshake."
Just bizarre to me.

Completely legit....

Is that legal in America? I'm not all too familiar with the laws on Nazi symbols in the US. Does Free Speech protect that too?
Yeah, it's legal unfortunately.

I often saw a group of Neo-Nazis proudly marching around in their militant get-up with boots and bomber jackets but I don't think they had any tattoos yet at the time since they were all about 15 back then. They never really wore anything that was directly related to Hitler and the Third Reich though since that would get them into jail really quickly here.

It's completely legal. It's legal to be a Nazi, it's legal to fly a Nazi flag, it's legal to get Nazi tattoos, whatever. It's also completely disgusting but at least it makes it easy to spot them, unlike say the KKK who wear masks.

Kater

Banned
That's actually a celtic cross
http://www.adl.org/combating-hate/hate-on-display/c/celtic-cross.html

Just found this via Wikipedia.

The white supremacist version of the Celtic Cross, which consists of a square cross interlocking with or surrounded by a circle, is one of the most important and commonly used white supremacist symbols. Although usually called a Celtic Cross by white supremacists, its origins date to the pre-Christian "sun cross" or "wheel cross" in ancient Europe. Norwegian Nazis used a version of the symbol in the 1930s and 1940s. After World War II, a variety of white supremacist groups and movements adopted the symbol. Today, this verson of the Celtic Cross is used by neo-Nazis, racist skinheads, Ku Klux Klan members and virtually every other type of white supremacist. It has also achieved notoriety as part of the logo of Stormfront, the oldest and largest white supremacist website in the world.

Yeah, it's legal unfortunately.

It's completely legal. It's legal to be a Nazi, it's legal to fly a Nazi flag, it's legal to get Nazi tattoos, whatever. It's completely disgusting but at least it makes it easy to spot them, unlike say the KKK who wear masks.

That's sad, but I agree on that point that it makes it easier to spot Nazis. Here you often confuse Nazis and Punks with each other since they share a lot of their choices in terms of outfits and they don't out themselves so obviously like the ones you see in the US.

I noticed some 88 stuff on Japanese streetwear and it made me wonder what the designer was thinking. Same for designers who incorporate red or blue bandanas into their stuff like it's some kind of fashionable thing without considering what they represent.

Japanese streetware uses a lot of odd logo / symbols. I forget which high end designer had the SS lightning bolts on the back of a flight jacket.

OP, there was a guy that rode the bus with me in high school that had a lot of nordic / neo nazi symbols on his arm. People avoided him and I ended up sitting next to him one day and having a conversation about his tattoos. He said it was a dumb mistake from when he was a teenager and he regretted it but didn't have the funds to get them removed.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wait, the pepe meme is racist?
WTH?!!!

HiiiLife

Curse those darn gangbangers for ruining paisley designs.

Alucrid

Banned
Japanese streetware uses a lot of odd logo / symbols. I forget which high end designer had the SS lightning bolts on the back of a flight jacket.

OP, there was a guy that rode the bus with me in high school that had a lot of nordic / neo nazi symbols on his arm. People avoided him and I ended up sitting next to him one day and having a conversation about his tattoos. He said it was a dumb mistake from when he was a teenager and he regretted it but didn't have the funds to get them removed.

sasquatchfabrix did this shit

NYYDC.jpg

which promptly made me sell off the few pieces i have of theirs. ain't got no time for ignorant edgy shit like that

Only on a few former nazi punks, one guy covered his. The other said he likes to keep it as a reminder of how stupid he once was ¯_(ツ)_/¯

darscot

Japanese often copy shit that they don't understand, it doesn't mean to them what it will mean to everyone else. I would have trouble not laughing if I saw someone with stupid shit like that tattooed on them,

The "88" tattoo finally answered a question I had. When the Scion FR-S came out , I heard people say the fender emblem looked like a Nazi symbol. I thought they meant a swastika but now I can see how people could confuse the "86" for a "88"

zhf6lT4l.jpg

But on topic, I was at a wedding once for a friend's sister. She had a bunch of ex-skinhead friends in her wedding party. They were into that shit when they were younger but got out of it. However, a bunch had Nazi tattoos on their sleeves that would peek out as guys took their coats off etc. It still creeped me out and I kept my distance.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I saw a guy with a full red nazi armband tattoo'd on his left arm in orange county.

edit: I met a neo nazi in Fresno, and he surprisingly didn't do anything rash or hateful to me. I am asian-american.

Thailand also... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILksCGv1Gx4

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
When my buddy worked at a gas station like 15 years ago, I'd go hang out with him when I was done with my shift. He had this regular who came in named Boyd. One day Boyd had a shirt with pretty short sleeves, and when he moved his arm in a certain way I saw he had an SS tattoo. Welp.

Avtomat

The "88" tattoo finally answered a question I had. When the Scion FR-S came out , I heard people say the fender emblem looked like a Nazi symbol. I thought they meant a swastika but now I can see how people could confuse the "86" for a "88"

zhf6lT4l.jpg

But on topic, I was at a wedding once for a friend's sister. She had a bunch of ex-skinhead friends in her wedding party. They were into that shit when they were younger but got out of it. However, a bunch had Nazi tattoos on their sleeves that would peek out as guys took their coats off etc. It still creeped me out and I kept my distance.

You sure they were not superimposing the SS symbol on it mentally?

ss-bolts-1.jpg

I don't know if this pertains to Japanese, but in Chinese, 8 is considered a lucky number because it sounds ("ba") like the word for advancement/success ("fa").

zhf6lT4l.jpg

Huh, never heard that. Although something with the jagged SS logo would look closer to my eyes:

51555fa4e4e947d03b3f17d0551a94f5.jpg

Edit: beaten for taking long enough to find a logo encased in a circle...

My best friend's stepdad is a straight-up neo nazi. Wears a leather jacket with a red armband and swastika, proudly displays white supremacist imagery in his house, is covered in tattoos with similar imagery... but he's old school, so it's a lot of swastikas and imperial eagles, not cartoon frogs and 88s.

It tears me up to watch a grown man have to work up the courage to go see his own mother because he knows what kind of den of hate he's going to have to walk into to do so.

I'm not a man who has a lot of experience with the concept of hating other people... but I feel like it's a pretty uncontroversial stance to say "fuck nazis with a hot poker, yo".

Jims

At Subway, I once stood behind a guy with a swastika tattoo on his big bald head. It was really uncomfortable. I mean, the guy probably wasn't going to randomly take a swing at me out of nowhere in the middle of a restaurant, but I felt really tense and aware standing next to him.

Alucrid

Banned
My best friend's stepdad is a straight-up neo nazi. Wears a leather jacket with a red armband and swastika, proudly displays white supremacist imagery in his house, is covered in tattoos with similar imagery... but he's old school, so it's a lot of swastikas and imperial eagles, not cartoon frogs and 88s.

It tears me up to watch a grown man have to work up the courage to go see his own mother because he knows what kind of den of hate he's going to have to walk into to do so.

I'm not a man who has a lot of experience with the concept of hating other people... but I feel like it's a pretty uncontroversial stance to say "fuck nazis with a hot poker, yo".

yikes. did he have to grow up with that or did the step dad come in later on

Xis

Only once; I was waiting in line to checkout and realized the guy in front of me had a big "SS" tattoo on his neck. I was in a Toys R Us. (Ohio).

tirminyl

Not a neo-nazi tattoo, but I saw a guy in the workplace that had a confederate flag tatted on his arm. He covered it up when he saw me (I'm black). I just looked at him.

If you KNOW people are going to give you a look or that you are going to try to hide it when a person who will be offended sees it, why did you get it in the first place? Why do you let it show to the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom