• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magical Girl Raising Project |OT| Madoka x Future Diary = Magical Girl Battle Royale

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarNaru33

Banned
So I was thinking it would play out that Ripple would somehow manage to kill SwimSwim, realize she just killed a child, then kill herself out of shame/despair. Turns out she found out it was a kid and still just went stabbity stab stab on her.

I read the LN right after I got done with the anime to see how many deviations they had after learning Calamity Mary didn't die to 2 kunai strikes in the head.

Yeah, in the LN this didn't happen this way, also even in the anime she was not aware Swim Swim was a child when she made the final strike.

In the LN, she threw her Katana at Swim's heart as they were blasted away by the flashbang, so she didn't get to see Swim's real body. In the anime, she was blinded in one eye and the other had blood obscuring her vision.

This show was alright and a good entry in the "Battle Royale" genre. I'm not too bothered by it, but it's pretty funny how the main protagonist didn't do anything of note while it was going on, even when she strengthened her resolve at the climax. Basically only ended up in her wanting to become stronger in the epilogue; wonder if that is something relevant to the future of this series.

Ripple was pretty stupid to throw all she had at Swim Swim like that. She was explicitly told that her weakness was sound/light. She should have just used the flash bang after she saw that her first volley didn't do anything; I thought she was trying to condition her or something, but she was just being stubborn.

From what I read of the translated LNs, the anime did a very bad disservice to the ending of the LN and the fight scenes.

Snow White did more to help kill Fav on the LN than she did on the anime. In the LN, she threw the master device at Fav's feet after hearing his thoughts on magical weapon Ripple was holding. Also, it was due to being able to hear Fav's thoughts, that she was even aware she could destroy the master terminal to kill him as that meant he was there.

All in all, I do feel bad for Swim-Swim despite all the things she did.

Razmos

I read through the first light novel and I think the anime changed some things for the better such as a tighter focus on Snow White (though the light novel focuses more on Ripple at the start as she is the magical girl we are introduced too), more fleshed out characters for Calamity Mary, Cranberry, Magicaloid44, Top Speed, Tama, Nemurin and Ruler and better pacing. It even included some of the sidestories like the fight between Calamity Mary and Hardgore Alice.

The light novels are exactly that, very light on content. The chapters are very short and everything feels very rushed. It's very well written considering that though, it just needed room to breathe and allow the characters to actually get some focus. Which the anime did really well.
But that is often why the characters got so much focus in the episodes that they died, they were slotted into what is already a tightly packed story.
Also the Light Novel portrayed Swim Swim as slightly more sympathetic. Such as feeling huge regret over killing Tama, who she considered a good friend

Alanae

The show has made me interested in importing the lightnovels so I guess it did it's job well.
there were a lot of spots which I felt would have been better off in writing + the way they apparently changed some of the fights for some reason means that reading the first volume as well would be pretty interesting.
The show feels like it ended up being more of a prologue, I wonder if it'll be getting a second season.

Cornbread78

I'm ok with that ending, but why didn't Ripple heal? The show definately delivered with magical girls in despair and fighting to the death, but the storu telling was a little off and by the time each character died it was difficult to feel anything for them. Was an entertaining watch though..

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just went through this series, and didn't care too much for it. Seemed to be trying way to hard for that dark angle Madoka had, but it felt way to forced, and dark for dark's sake.

Story was muddled and didn't seem to have that focus on the finish that Madoka (prefilms) had with it's story. I also think the cast was way too big. None of the deaths really impacted me because there was so little time to get to know any of the girls.

Cornbread78

Just went through this series, and didn't care too much for it. Seemed to be trying way to hard for that dark angle Madoka had, but it felt way to forced, and dark for dark's sake.

Story was muddled and didn't seem to have that focus on the finish that Madoka (prefilms) had with it's story. I also think the cast was way too big. None of the deaths really impacted me because there was so little time to get to know any of the girls.

Yup, this is pretty much exactly what I said about it as well... not very "deep" at all.

I wouldn't directly compare Madoka and MGR since MGR is part of an ongoing book series and Madoka was a made for TV and had a contained story arc.

It definitely has narrative flaws but I set my expectations in line with it being the first story arc of a multiple book series.

Razmos

Yeah, having read the other novels now, the first series is definitely a prologue of sorts.

The rest of the series touches on things introduced towards the end of the series, like the Land of Magic, the selection tests and Cranberry. Basically it causes things to get really bad.

The other novels also have a different plot amd pacing which gives more room for the characters and story to develop. It's still a light novel though and if adapted into anime it will still feel like "oh this characters getting a lot of attention, they are going to die", but it doesn't feel like that in the novels.

Replicant

I watched the entire episodes in one sitting. Not as good as Madoka but still entertaining none the less.

Fuck Swim Swim, indeed. Snow White is useless too. If it wasn't for Ripple taking charge, Swim Swim would still be alive because Snow White would be aghast at Ripple killing that psychopath.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
One thing I did like.

It was fun hearing Kikuko Inoue and Megumi Ogata do some off-type characters.

Nun magical girl and you don't have the voice of Belldandy voice her, and instead have her voice the psycho cowboy.

Show has a Sailor Uranus/Neptune couple and you don't have Sailor Uranus' VA do the character (or any of the tomboy characters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom