• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magical Girl Raising Project |OT| Madoka x Future Diary = Magical Girl Battle Royale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, her ability is so broken that I can't see other way than solving it a la kars, and that's where tama's power would have a major role in the plot.

I don't think that Tama's power works that way (bottomless pit), and I don't think that will be her major contribution to the plot. I see her ending up as an advocate for Snow and Nana's cause (and potentially calming what's left of her crew down), as opposed to the girl who kept digging holes until Alice fell into magma.

I still think the most likely way Alice dies (if she does), is because they found out she has some hidden drawback like Ruler, and they expose it. Or they find a way to expose her obsession with Snow White. I'd look to Cranberry as her potential killer honestly.

They could always kill Alice when she is in her normal, human form I suppose

Actually that's pretty clever in its simplicity.

Yen Press just announced that they will be releasing the Magical Girl Raising Project Light Novels starting summer 2017.

Cx9oBpoWIAAyDu0.jpg

FluxWaveZ

I've had this feeling for a while, but it feels like there might be a "rewind time" ending, with everything going on. I wonder if this story will have the guts to not pull a reset.

Anyways, an alright episode. Calamity Mary's demise was abrupt, but it was a neat strategy for Ripple to send down a rain of glass, all of which would precisely land on their target, as a diversion.

Swim Swim sucks, but that's nothing new. I'm kinda divided that her ability is basically turning her body into water. I thought it was just "she can swim through anything," but also turning that into "anything can swim through her"? Weird.

Also, I thought Snow White could only hear the voices of people who needed help. Not what just seems to be mind reading. Then again, technically, I guess the thoughts of everyone she heard were from people who needed help in some way? Either way, main character has done nothing this entire time. Kinda funny.

Sterok

9. Well, I expected blood, and...
You'd think Ripple would have an easier time winning against someone with her perfect accuracy. Winterprison is one thing, but Mary blocking everything is stretching things a bit. At least Top Speed got to show off what she can really do. Teamwork beats the crazy one. RIP cool one. You were the best one left. Swim looks to be almost as hard to take down as Alice, though hopefully sneak attacks would work on Swim at least. Snow White and Alice work together well at least. So I was right about Snow White's power; she can flat out read minds in certain circumstances. Tama really doesn't like being on the evil side. Sister Nana... well I didn't think she would be too helpful from this point on. Of course Fav needs to reset projections. Looks like Swim and Minael are going to target Alice next, assuming Cranberry doesn't get to them first.

I wouldn't say Mary's death was anticlimactic, as it was a decent fight and the girls' plan to distract and finally stop her was clever, but her death felt a bit sudden.

Top Speed died and was pregnant, to no one's surprise. Sad that she had to go that way, although I'm a little surprised Ripple didn't see the killing blow, even with Swim's powers. Speaking of, Swim's powers didn't really line-up with what the eye catch led me to believe it was. I guess she's found an abstract way to use and inverse it, because it seemed more like she could turn herself into water before she dove away.

I guess we won't get the Swim vs Cranberry fight yet. Based off of how Swim Swim framed it in her own head, I can only imagine she'll get utterly stomped whenever that does come up.

Nana killed herself... Pretty dumb, but oh well. I thought she would end up helping Ripple in one of the bigger fights at the end, but guess not.

Also, I thought Snow White could only hear the voices of people who needed help. Not what just seems to be mind reading. Then again, technically, I guess the thoughts of everyone she heard were from people who needed help in some way? Either way, main character has done nothing this entire time. Kinda funny.

I thought she was hearing people who were in trouble, anguish and needed help, and that's how TS's voice popped into her mind. The slightly surprising thing to me was that I thought she needed to activate it in order to hear things, rather than it passively being on the whole time, but I guess she just turns it on and then off as needed.

Funnily enough, since right around episode 7 I've been pretty surprised at how pointless Snow has felt. Almost everything interesting happens away from her, and she hasn't done all that much except for mope and try to save people while more interesting things are going on.

I'm sure she'll play a big part in the finale, but for now she's probably the least interesting girl around. If Swim's group does target Alice (at least I'm assuming that's where things are heading), we may see her take a more proactive role in one of the fights coming up.

Szadek

Snow White is useless. She has done nothing plot relevant so far.
All she did this entire time was saving a few random people that don't matter and getting attacked.

Magical Girl Raising Project Episode 9

Well, I did not expect Sister Nana to commit suicide like that. Kind of scared for Alice though, if you can't kill her as a Magical Girl the next obvious conclusion is killing her as a Human, and now they know exactly where she lives. I really hope that she doesn't end up being offed this easily. It would really make her character meaningless.

Going by the Reddit thread, some of the deaths were changed for whatever reason (well I guess TV censorship for one).

Apparently it should have been the rain of glass shards thrown by Ripple that killed Mary.

As for why she didn't see the sneak attack, apparently she was supposed to be exhausted on the ground and Top Speed was helping her up, when the attack happens. Changing this doesn't really seem to make sense.

FluxWaveZ

Going by the Reddit thread, some of the deaths were changed for whatever reason (well I guess TV censorship for one).

Apparently it should have been the rain of glass shards thrown by Ripple that killed Mary.

As for why she didn't see the sneak attack, apparently she was supposed to be exhausted on the ground and Top Speed was helping her up, when the attack happens. Changing this doesn't really seem to make sense.

That would make more sense as a climactic finale to the battle. With her ability being anything she throws hitting its mark, a rain of glass shards sounds powerful as hell and would make a more climactic end then just a shuriken to the face.

I actually thought that it was how that was gonna go and thought it was brilliant and made sense, then boom, the shuriken hit Mary's head.

From a censorship perspective I get the first change. However, the rain of glass shards sounds like it could've been a far more exciting finale to the battle.

The second change doesn't make as much sense. I said it earlier, but I don't really know how Ripple was supposed to have missed Swim Swim for so long. Well, I just rewatched the scene, she was looking at her hand when it happened, but I can't imagine she wouldn't see or even hear Swim Swim swinging a halberd or see her as Top fell on her. It flows better and makes more sense as it supposedly happened in the LN.

pbayne

I was about to complain about how OP Alice was but it looks like they've found some way to stop her possibly.

I liked during the big brawl Cranberry was just like "i aint got no time for this shit". She just seems otherworldly and on a whole other league from everyone else at this point, can't imagine anyone beating her. Except maybe she gets beat in the candy count but lol when was the last time the show even brought that up as an option.

Nohar

Ah-ha! I knew that rain of glass shards was odd since it contributed to almost nothing, and was completely underwhelming. It was also weird to see Ripple using her special power with it, and yet it served no purpose. Really, that censorship is stupid, and makes no sense: no one is fooled, everyone who watch this show already knows that it is a gruesome battle royale, Mary should have been impaled by thousand of glass shards. The shuriken-death was a very lame cop-out, as was Top Speed's way of dying (it made no sense for Ripple to not see Swim's attack).

Frankly, they need to make up their mind already. The anime's execution ends up quite lacking.

Cornbread78

Dafuq... Die, die, die.... everyone die horrible painful deaths! That battle was pretty cool and I'm glad the OP bitch is dead, but where's the story? Who/what is Fav? Who is really responsible for this "game" and how does Cranberry really tie into everything.. but wait there's more.... Poor prego Top Speed is gone, sister Mary hung herself and now we have to whiddle down 3 more girls... WTF. Hopefully, it is Swim's crew that all die together..

I'm prepared to get no satisfying answers considering that this is based on a lite novel series that's still ongoing. This season is only adapting the first book or something, right?

FluxWaveZ

I'm prepared to get no satisfying answers considering that this is based on a lite novel series that's still ongoing. This season is only adapting the first book or something, right?

Oh, it's still ongoing? That's kind of a shame. It feels like things are reaching their conclusion now; I hope that it ends satisfyingly.

SkyOdin

From what I gather, each book covers a new battle between a completely different cast of characters. So we will get a definitive conclusion for this group of people, and a theoretical second season would start a new story with different characters.

I haven't read the light novels, in fact I started with the anime and did a little investigating and while I haven't dug too deep but what I think I understand is that there are 3 volumes, this anime covering volume 1 and future volumes at least for the most part revolve around new sets of characters. So we should get some conclusion with characters we have now, but maybe not the overall plot. However, that's just my own speculation.

Also, I'm not looking forward to each episode as much anymore now that Top Speed is gone. :(

So I just read part of that reddit post, Mary's death is actually pretty badass in the light novel. It's not just glass shards that Ripple throws at her. Originally Ripple sends an entire window at Mary, who shoots and shatters it, and then gets helplessly sliced up as all the shards of glass continue to target her and rain down upon her. Would've been awesome if they actually had that in the show.

I think it's actually possible to give this a satisfying ending. At least for the girls in this battle, and enough answers for the overarching story that can potentially tease into more.

I'm sure the first novel was written with the possibility that it ended there, so I don't think it's out of the question we can have a one shot with a satisfying end.

RainForce

Banned
We won't have to worry about getting a conclusion to this story. The LNs go beyond just one magical girl killing game.

Over the 10 volumes of the LN, we have:

Magical Girl Raising Project
Magical Girl Raising Project: Restart
Magical Girl Raising Project: Limited
Magical Girl Raising Project: JOKERS
Magical Girl Raising Project: ACES
Magical Girl Raising Project: QUEENS

Each one has a different cast of characters in there own magical girl battle royale. The first one is the shortest and happens over the course of only 1 volume, which is what the anime is covering.

Cornbread78

Swim Swim pisses me off. She is a spoiled brat of a child and kills with cheap shots; in this case a pregnant woman. Fuck her and her crew.

FluxWaveZ

So I just read part of that reddit post, Mary's death is actually pretty badass in the light novel. It's not just glass shards that Ripple throws at her. Originally Ripple sends an entire window at Mary, who shoots and shatters it, and then gets helplessly sliced up as all the shards of glass continue to target her and rain down upon her. Would've been awesome if they actually had that in the show.

That sounds cool. Even if the excuse is censorship, I don't understand how that conclusion couldn't have been animated anyways. Clever camera angles and color shifts would easily make the actual ending to that battle feasible. Not like it'd even be that big of a deal, considering what we've been seeing in earlier episodes, anyways.

I like the fact that this series is apparently divided into multiple, isolated stories each with their own killing games.

JC Lately

Finally saw the last 2. Guess my joking theory about about Mary being a 30 y/o salaryman got Jossed hardcore. But I kinda like the reality better.

And then, oops, she dead. And it seems Alice is next on the chopping block. Damn it, I was really enjoying the Creepy Antics of Zombie Loli.

Would someone please kill Swim Swin already?

Sterok

How is Cranberry (or anyone else really) supposed to deal with Swim? Alice will probably be targeted as a human, but Cranberry will want a good fight against Winterprison's killer. Yet even if Cranberry is a much better fighter, physical attacks seem completely ineffectual against Swim. And no one left seems to have a good skill set to deal with her.

No matter how this ends up, I'm amused that the 8 year old girl will almost certainly have the highest magical girl body count. Swim has killed 3 and was inadvertently caused 2 other deaths. Cranberry, Ripple, or Alice would have to kill almost everyone else themselves to match Swim.

Swim is worse than Alice in being broken, they're both the same in that physical attacks won't work but Swim has more abilities on top of that, pls nerf.

I thought all those glass shards were going to pincussion Mary, disappointed.

Sister Nana....welp

and uh yeah when is our "main character" going to do something?

JC Lately

Swim is worse than Alice in being broken, they're both the same in that physical attacks won't work but Swim has more abilities on top of that, pls nerf.

I thought all those glass shards were going to pincussion Mary, disappointed.

Sister Nana....welp

and uh yeah when is our "main character" going to do something?

I was hoping Fav had secretly implemented some kind of "cannot self-terminate" rule and Nana would somehow survive her suicide attempt -- but nope.

Swim-Swim needs to go down. Unfortunately the girl who would have had the best shot at offing her, Mary, bit it last week. No time to go all liquid if the sniper round finds its way between your eyes before you even hear the shot.

Razmos

I was hoping Fav had secretly implemented some kind of "cannot self-terminate" rule and Nana would somehow survive her suicide attempt -- but nope.

Swim-Swim needs to go down. Unfortunately the girl who would have had the best shot at offing her, Mary, bit it last week. No time to go all liquid if the sniper round finds its way between your eyes before you even hear the shot.
I suppose Ripple could do the same thing

chrono01

Episode 9 Spoilers:

Damn it, this one hit me hard. I mean, the last one wasn't exactly a cheerful episode, but I didn't want to see both Top Speed (who was, as expected, pregnant) and Sister Nana die. Top Speed, in-particular, was depressing. Also, Nana hanging herself...

I'm kind of hoping the series ends with Snow White reviving a few of the fallen, but that probably won't happen. It looks like Hardgore Alice is in-danger too, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. Swim Swim definitely needs to be stopped. :/

Cornbread78

Episode 9 Spoilers:
Damn it, this one hit me hard. I mean, the last one wasn't exactly a cheerful episode, but I didn't want to see both Top Speed (who was, as expected, pregnant) and Sister Nana die. Top Speed, in-particular, was depressing. Also, Nana hanging herself...

I'm kind of hoping the series ends with Snow White reviving a few of the fallen, but that probably won't happen. It looks like Hardgore Alice is in-danger too, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. Swim Swim definitely needs to be stopped. :/

FYI, no spoilers needed unless you are talking about unaired material, but yeah, Swim is a spineless douche that needs to go down.

FluxWaveZ

Swim Swim is such a fucking asshole, it's incredible. Again, her entire team are composed of insufferable psychopaths.

I find some of the motivations behind certain characters in this show a bit iffy sometimes, as well as some of the reactions to death. I think it works for the most part, though. Tama's a character who I hope is expanded upon later, because the way she's been a servant to the "bad guys" so far without actively wanting to run away or arguing against their tactics doesn't really make sense.

Also, I find some of the deaths too abrupt. I can like a swift death taking the audience by surprise or just emphasizing how quickly it can happen, but I'd appreciate some inner monologues, flashback sequences, thoughts of making peace with their life (or the opposite) and stuff like that mixed in when a character dies. The Hardgore Alice one was good for that.

It seems that the whole reason this is a killing game in the first place is because Cranberry made it one, and she's a bit crazy.

Magical Girl Raising Project 10
LhrYw48.gif

Why Alice... why didn't you crawl for your device after Swim left. Damn you Swim Swim. I hope Cranberry murders you in the most brutal, broken way possible. In a way that I would not even wish on my worst enemies

I kind of wish they'd do more to break the, "You have a flashback? You're dead" pattern. It was pretty clear that Tama couldn't die this episode and Mina was up on the chopping block due purely to who got a flashback this episode.

Going by the reddit thread, apparently she put up a fight in the light novel compared to how she went down here. I think this was more fitting as those two angels just deserved to be roflstomped.

Lmao, I couldn't help but laugh when Minael died. That was so quick and without any fanfare. Couldn't have happened to a better person.

I do like Swim Swim, as I find her to be a somewhat interesting character, and I think she provided one of the more fun twists in the show. I guess I just wish they'd depict her as more believable for her age. I don't mind some of the stuff, and for a show like this you obviously have to suspend disbelief, but it's a bit of a stretch that a girl this young is totally fine hunting down and slaying other girls. I'd at least like to see her rationalize it more, although I guess the answer is that she wants to be a good and efficient ruler to her subjects (even though 2 have died on her watch and she hasn't given a much of a fuck). Maybe some flashback stuff will put it in context or this is an area where the show is dropping the ball. Or Nemurin + Ruler just totally fried her brain.

The raising project being totally corrupted by Cranberry is pretty interesting. I am looking forward to her battle with Swim Swim and Tama. Hopefully they put up an interesting fight.

Alice's death is probably the the most well written one in the show. Too bad that rabbit foot didn't do her much good. She was kinda cool, but hopefully Snow White can be more proactive at this point. I'm hoping she won't just fall back on Ripple now.

I feel like SwimSwim has to win this encounter, because if she dies to Cranberry here Ripple won't have a target for her revenge.

Sterok

Whelp, Alice has the flashback of doom. Of course another person with a shitty life. Alice ended up being an actual good person. Snow White just sucks in every manner. La Pucelle and Alice could've done way better. Though if their powers are bleeding over to their normal selves, it was Alice's enhanced regeneration that kept her alive for so long. Damn it, she could've lived if Snow White wasn't terrible that night or had tried to get Alice's phone to her. Worthless. Minael's flashback of doom. Gotta have that I guess. Fav and Cranberry's relationship doesn't quite make sense to me. Fav seems to be the ambassador from the Magic World while Cranberry is ensuring the game is as bloody as possible, but Cranberry is the one calling the shots? She seems to be from the human world. Whatever backstory they give to her is probably going to be stupid. Minael bites it in an instant. Called it. Time for the showdown of the two most dangerous magical girls. Not sure how Cranberry is going to win, but Tama needs to plan an escape route anyway.

Razmos

Well Alice's death was kinda hard to watch, exactly what I expected but it still hurt lol

Minael dying was lol. Sudden, but awesome and gruesome, and totally deserved for such a horrible person

It seems Snow White is the strongest magical girl, right? Today she used her ability even outside of her magical form. Something must be up with that.

Minael deserved to die like that, randomly and without any importance like the shitty person she is.

TarNaru33

Banned
Well Alice's death was kinda hard to watch, exactly what I expected but it still hurt lol

Minael dying was lol. Sudden, but awesome and gruesome, and totally deserved for such a horrible person

Yeah, just as she decided her life was worth living, she has it snatched from her. I am glad though that she at least got to talk to Snow White once more before dying. Also she holds no grudge against Snow for falling so easily to despair.

I do wonder if transforming was impairing her communication skills. Because, it shouldn't have been hard at all to say "you are that magical girl in this city".

The bunny was a freaking decoy for the audience lolz.. It had nothing to do with her ability, she just carries it around everywhere she go, unfortunately this lead Manael to her. I am somewhat annoyed by that, because it is clear Manael was watching Alice walk away after grabbing the bunny, so when was it possible for her to even switch. Makes no sense to me. Even if its a death game, I would have a very difficult time deciding to kill some middle school girl if I found out the identity beforehand. Shows how cruel Manael and Swim-Swim are.

It seems Snow White is the strongest magical girl, right? Today she used her ability even outside of her magical form. Something must be up with that.

Minael deserved to die like that, randomly and without any importance like the shitty person she is.

Yeah, that is something I noted as well. Not sure what that is about, but hopefully it makes more sense later on.

...The bunny was a freaking decoy for the audience lolz.. It had nothing to do with her ability, she just carries it around everywhere she go, unfortunately this lead Manael to her. I am somewhat annoyed by that, because it is clear Manael was watching Alice walk away after grabbing the bunny, so when was it possible for her to even switch. Makes no sense to me. Even if its a death game, I would have a very difficult time deciding to kill some middle school girl if I found out the identity beforehand. Shows how cruel Manael and Swim-Swim are.
I'm fairly certain you're misremembering that. The scene at the end of the highway fight made it pretty clear she picked up a 2nd fake bunny and the original was under the invisibility cloak.

I'm actually wondering if they left the invisibility cloak on the highway though.

I was surprised that Alice never used the rabbits foot. It seemed planned out perfectly for that. I mean, she can do more good for Snow White alive than dead.

I was surprised that Alice never used the rabbits foot. It seemed planned out perfectly for that. I mean, she can do more good for Snow White alive than dead.
I might have dive back into the Reddit thread but I thought Snow White hearing her and her surviving as long as she did was due to the rabbits foot.

I might have dive back into the Reddit thread but I thought Snow White hearing her and her surviving as long as she did was due to the rabbits foot.

Not much of a second chance then, if that's the case. She was still presumably immobile since she didn't both going for her phone to transform and potentially heal her wounds...which also leaves something else to question. If a Magical Girl is injured, then transforms to heal... does the wounds on the actual body heal? Or do they remain when transforming back.

Also, wouldn't it have disappeared instead of being given to Snow White?

Not much of a second chance then, if that's the case. She was still presumably immobile since she didn't both going for her phone to transform and potentially heal her wounds...which also leaves something else to question. If a Magical Girl is injured, then transforms to heal... does the wounds on the actual body heal? Or do they remain when transforming back.

Also, wouldn't it have disappeared instead of being given to Snow White?
Why would it disappear?

I feel like SwimSwim has to win this encounter, because if she dies to Cranberry here Ripple won't have a target for her revenge.

I don't know if Swim Swim necessarily wins, but she definitely won't die. Her winning wouldn't surprise me, as the show has been slowly but steadily building her up. The OP also kinda makes her out to be a big deal too, so her being the final enemy wouldn't be that surprising.

I'm just not sure if they want to kill Cranberry yet. Although there are 2 episodes left, so I guess if she was going to die now would be about the time. I kind of doubt both will make it out alive, but you never know.

Fav and Cranberry's relationship doesn't quite make sense to me. Fav seems to be the ambassador from the Magic World while Cranberry is ensuring the game is as bloody as possible, but Cranberry is the one calling the shots? She seems to be from the human world.

I'm pretty sure Cranberry is a straight up magical girl. Not even transformed, but from the Magical World. It seems like she was supposed to help oversee the Raising Project, but perverted it to make it a battle to the death.

I thought its effect in the episode that revealed it was "This rabbit's foot will get out of a bind one time". Am I wrong?

I don't think you can necessarily choose to "use" the rabbits foot, as it's straight up luck.

You can use it more than once, but the disclaimer was that it was up to the girl who had it to use the luck effectively in order to get out of a pinch. In other words, it will present an opportunity, but it won't magically save you from a death blow or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom