• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Izetta, The Last Witch |OT| Alternate WWII with a magic touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

y3ZwcmW.png

(Shuumatsu no Izetta)

Type: TV
Episodes: tba
Airs: Oct 1, 2016 to ?
Broadcast: Saturdays at 23:00 (JST)
Simulcast: Crunchyroll will stream the anime, and
Funimation will provide an English broadcast dub
Studios: Ajia-Do
Source: Original
Genres: Action, Historical, Military
Rating: None

Staff:
Director: Masaya Fujimori (Fairy Tail the Movie: Phoenix Priestess, Tribe Cool Crew)
Series Composition: Hiroyuki Yoshino (Accel World, Magi: The Kingdom of Magic, Guilty Crown, Code Geass)
Character Design: Yuu Yamashita (Bunny Drop, A Certain Scientific Railgun)
Chief Animation Director: Yuu Yamashita

Music:
OP:
"cross the line" by AKINO with bless4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euCMiWkqem4

ED:
"Hikari Aru Basho e" (To Where the Light Is) by May'n

Synopsis:
In 1939, the imperialist nation of Germania launched a sudden invasion of its neighboring countries. This conflagration engulfed all of Europe in one fell swoop, and the era was dragged into the maelstrom of war. Then in 1940, Germania set its sights on Elystadt, a tiny principality blessed with breathtaking greenery and water in the Alps. Izetta is a descendant of a clan of witches who had passed down mysterious powers for generations. Since she was little, she and her grandmother lived their lives on the road, traveling between European countries in order to hide these powers. Fiine is the sole daughter in line to succeed Rudolph III, the ruler of the Principality of Elystadt. Since her father has been stricken by illness, she has been busy preparing for Germania's invasion in his stead.

Characters

Izetta:
4PUqmqZ.jpg

Fine':
QerHqx6.jpg

Bianca:
ZFbQpf8.jpg

Elvira:
jvqhvvT.jpg

Belkman:
D4Vlo0Z.jpg

Seig:
wqS1zjl.jpg

Hans:
EQAvq5b.jpg

Character VA's:
Himika Akaneya as Izetta
Saori Hayami as Fiine
Aya Uchida as Bianca
Daisuke Hirakawa as Elliot
Hiroki Takahashi as Sieg
Junichi Suwabe as Belkman
Junji Majima as Tobias
Kana Hanazawa as Elvira
Kenn as Hans
Koji Yusa as Görtz
Kouichi Yamadera as Otto
Nao Tōyama as Lotte
Natsuki Hanae as Rickert
Ryotaro Okiayu as Helman
Toshiyuki Morikawa as Rudolph
Yoshimasa Hosoya as Bassler

Screenshots:
zcrbA9M.jpg

npWOKy5.jpg

mBPQxCX.jpg

x98wTDA.jpg

Videos
PV1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypxwXwk2nOo

PV2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvmqDo-8Hlg

PV3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ0_rUFZV7A

PV4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p67ZEEtQVp8

At least this alternate version of WW2 history doesn't romanticize the Germans and remove everything bad about Nazi Germany from this "Creative new alternate time!" such as literally everything they ever did.

Might be worth watching. Alderamin looked like generic crap but turned out to be pretty damn good so maybe this'll be alright as well.

Cornbread78

At least this alternate version of WW2 history doesn't romanticize the Germans and remove everything bad about Nazi Germany from this "Creative new alternate time!" such as literally everything they ever did.

Might be worth watching. Alderamin looked like generic crap but turned out to be pretty damn good so maybe this'll be alright as well.

This show, like so many others, has a chance to be good, but also a chance to turn into crap, so we will see.

It looks pretty so far though:

xpFgdlh.jpg

This show, like so many others, has a chance to be good, but also a chance to turn into crap, so we will see.

I mean, that's why I regularly watch shows I'm even vaguely interested. Every season has a Re:Zero or Alderamin or Heavy Object, a show that looks generic or bad but turns out to actually be pretty damn good. Can't see it if you don't take the dive.

Cornbread78

That cover gives me yuri vibes. Does this have yuri? :O

Lol, nice catch. Not sure to be honest. This is an anime original script, so there's no way to know. However, the series comp guy ( feature story link above) is a little crazy, so there are high hopes (from some) for some yuri fun, lol.

Qurupeke

Izetta: The Last Witch 1
Wow, I'm impressed. This was an awesome first episode. Fine animation and it generally looked pretty. Princess Fine is also a really good protagonist and I'm looking forward to her.

Moreover, it had some very strong scenes right off the bat, like the train chase and the explosion on the plane, though the invasion on the music of the opera was great too. The show also nails the WW2 Not-Europe setting. Curious how this will continue.

I'll try and catch it after work, but the premise reminds me a lot of Valkyria Chronicles, which can be really cool.
I'm all in for Aya Uchida though.

Cornbread78

Ok now, that was a pretty damn good intro episode with good production, good pacing and good story. Hopefully, this keeps up.

And yes SDBurton, the yuri potential is definately there. I'll throw out the yuri symbol for ya if anything materializes.

Really really good episode.
Very exciting action sequences and a really likeable main character so far.
The tension in some scenes were really well done, as was the music.
Animations and production values are really impressive.

I'm hooked.

I'm really impressed by the overall quality of it all, especially the excellent pacing. Definitely one to look out for in the coming weeks; I think I'll be watching this, Magical Girl Raising Project, and Occultic;Nine.

Kvik

Episode 1

That was a great opener. I think Finé is a great heroine, not in a sense of strength however, but perhaps the same recklessness of character such as Princess Mononoke or Nausicaa. Also I love the contrast between the opera and the beach landing/assault. On a more humorous note, perhaps Finé should recruit better bodyguards since both who died were jobbers :p

also I didn't mind yuribait

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ok now, that was a pretty damn good intro episode with good production, good pacing and good story. Hopefully, this keeps up.

And yes SDBurton, the yuri potential is definately there. I'll throw out the yuri symbol for ya if anything materializes.

Good looking out! Guess I'll check this out shortly.

Cornbread78

Now now children, lol.

I hope the show takes a more serious and dramatic tone throughout, but we'll have to wait and see. Wasn't Gilligan's island during WWII as well?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Now now children, lol.

I hope the show takes a more serious and dramatic tone throughout, but we'll have to wait and see. Wasn't Gilligan's island during WWII as well?

No but there was Hogan's Heroes, which was an actual show that existed.

Lkr

I loved this a lot more than I'm willing to admit.

Are there similar war animes worth watching? I enjoyed FMA:B

Mokujin

I really liked a lot of things in the first episode, but the Ecchi put me somewhat off :/

But I will keep watching which is rare nowadays since I cant stand most of Anime releases barring some exceptional cases (Haykyuu, One Punch Man, Hero Academy...).

Cornbread78

Ok, that was a great follow up episode to explain their relationship and push the story further. The visuals were still outstandibg, the OST on point and the tone matches the story perfectly.

Kvik

Episode 2

Oh Shit. I had just finished watching Luke Cage and I thought that bullet nicked Hime's artery like it did (Luke Cage Spoiler)
Misty's
. That dogfight was really well animated.

So that pulsating green things was her mana, seems like? Also I think Hime trying to avoid another witch hunt by telling Izetta to run away. I wonder how far those totally not Nazi SS agents are willing to go to get Izetta back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom