• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Izetta, The Last Witch |OT| Alternate WWII with a magic touch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished. I thought it was good overall. Not perfect by any means but it was very enjoyable.

This is pretty much my opinion. Though I am happy that Izetta seems to have lived at the end, in what capacity that's up for interpretation, but given that in the original fairy tale the White Witch died, it is nice that they changed the ending of the new fairytale

Just binge watched this over the course of two days.

Overall I liked it and how they seemed to try and address how having magic really messes up political dynamics.

I really thought
Izetta was going to die in the end but it seems she still lives although she still cannot use her legs so I'm assuming that it's probably permanent?
Still, that's a better outcome than the one I predicted.

Oh yeah and the
Jonas part
was unexpected. Actually I think you see
his family evacuating when Sophie attacks Landsbruck. I'm pretty sure the picture that mother looked at was Jonas' family.

I would have liked to see this spread out to around 24 episodes.but I'm happy with what we got.

Based on the ending it doesn't look like there's any sequel potential but I wouldn't mind an OVA or two to show how
Izetta is doing after the final battle.

Forgot to add a point that I read elsewhere.

Basically that some people think
a story is bad if the hero doesn't die in the end and it's become a sort of expectation/trend on its own.

Izetta went out despite knowing the risks. She removed magic from the world, disarmed the Empire and protected the people that she loves and also paid a heavy price.

That seems pretty heroic to me and it doesn't need death to make it better imo.

PBalfredo

I'm a bit disappointed with the ending, I'm sad to say.
The solution sort of just comes out of nowhere. Sucking up all the magic in the entire world is something she can just do? Why did she even need to go to the launch site and fight Sophie if her goal was to suck up all the magic? She's lucky Sophie decided to get in on the DBZ charge-up race and not just sneak in a potshot.

Getting rid of all magic also undercuts Fine's character a bit. The Atlantian ambassador poses the question of why should they trust anyone to control that much power, whether it be Germania or Elystadt. But rather than reassuring the ambassadors, or vowing never to use magic again, or any other way for Fine` to demonstrate the strength of her morale character, she's able to just sidestep the question since Izetta is about to render it moot anyways.

While part of me is glad she survived it, that seems like a bit of a cheat, too. We've already established that using the red gem for magic drains a witch's life, and she literally used all the magic. To cause a super nuclear blast. While hundreds of feet up in the air over the North Sea. Like, really?

And then even when we see that she does survive, and they are reunited, not even a kiss?! What the hell? If they're gonna engage in some bullshit for a happy ending, at least indulge in the painfully obvious yuri! C'MON!

Cornbread78

Forgot to add a point that I read elsewhere.

Basically that some people think
a story is bad if the hero doesn't die in the end and it's become a sort of expectation/trend on its own.

Izetta went out despite knowing the risks. She removed magic from the world, disarmed the Empire and protected the people that she loves and also paid a heavy price.

That seems pretty heroic to me and it doesn't need death to make it better imo.
I'm a bit disappointed with the ending, I'm sad to say.
The solution sort of just comes out of nowhere. Sucking up all the magic in the entire world is something she can just do? Why did she even need to go to the launch site and fight Sophie if her goal was to suck up all the magic? She's lucky Sophie decided to get in on the DBZ charge-up race and not just sneak in a potshot.

Getting rid of all magic also undercuts Fine's character a bit. The Atlantian ambassador poses the question of why should they trust anyone to control that much power, whether it be Germania or Elystadt. But rather than reassuring the ambassadors, or vowing never to use magic again, or any other way for Fine` to demonstrate the strength of her morale character, she's able to just sidestep the question since Izetta is about to render it moot anyways.

While part of me is glad she survived it, that seems like a bit of a cheat, too. We've already established that using the red gem for magic drains a witch's life, and she literally used all the magic. To cause a super nuclear blast. While hundreds of feet up in the air over the North Sea. Like, really?

And then even when we see that she does survive, and they are reunited, not even a kiss?! What the hell? If they're gonna engage in some bullshit for a happy ending, at least indulge in the painfully obvious yuri! C'MON!
No spoilers needed here, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom