• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Izetta, The Last Witch |OT| Alternate WWII with a magic touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Lately

Every time I think they're about to light the yuri signal, they back off. This must be what it feels like to be a RWBY fan.

That aside, I'm liking the pace of this series. I dunno if I'm just picking bad shows, but so much anime seems to be in a rush to get to the good stuff these days. I do wonder what the not-Nazi's wanted Izetta for. I doubt they'll try to make her fight for them, she's too strong willed for that, and if they just wanted to take her out of play, they could have just shot her in the back of the head instead of putting her in stasis. If she really is the last witch, and these "Germainians" as as occult obsessed as their real-world analogue, just killing her would be a waste of resources... Hmmm...

I thought this was a good follow up episode to last week's great premier. The air battle was fun, and I appreciated Fine stepping up to assist rather than completely relying on Izetta. The flashbacks were pretty interesting, and I liked how they took the time to take a look back on Izetta's past and how her and Fine met. Also, the soundtrack for this show is fantastic.

Cornbread78

My goodness Izetta tore those fuckers to pieces. That was all pretty damn awesome, and tgat ending with all the soldiers was great! Excellent episode that remaibed visually stunning with great action, characters and story.

Kvik

Episode 3

I always love Magic vs. Tech battle like this. The swordweave/lattice blocking tank shells was pretty cool. I thought megane-kun wasn't going to make it since he pulled the family photograph every so often and we all know that's practically a death-flag o'rama.

All's well in the end, though. Except for the King. I would've like to see more of the totally-not-nazi-gestapo guys and what they are planning to do. Maybe next episode.

Smoolio

Watched the first episode English dub, love the speed of Funimation's simulcast dubs, but it shows a little that they had less time. Loved it though overall, plz yuri!

United States of Atlanta? LMAO
The fanservice is a bit much for me, but the lore and story is getting more and more interesting with every episode.

JC Lately

*sigh*
Look, Izetta, I already got Keijo on my queue. I am fully stocked on my anime tiddies this season, thank you very much.

Unnecessary molestation aside, good transitional episode. We have Izetta’s limits established, Fine assuming the throne, and Not-Hitler introduced. Hoping for some more political intrigue in future episodes along with magical witch stomping all over the not-Nazi’s war machines.

Also, don’t think I missed that hand-holding on the exit, Izetta. Keep that shit up.

Cornbread78

Obviously, this was complete set-up for future events as Izetta's weakness is exposed, the castle secrets revealed (more to come, right?) and alliances/trusts formed. It's definately going to get ugly again really soon as the Germanian leader definately wants the witch.

Kvik

Episode 4

Looks like the whole Europe is packed with leylines. I mean, the map is practically green everywhere! Especially where Elystadt is. Anyway, finally we get the full version of the childhood flashback where Fine got wounded.

Izetta The Last Witch - Episode 5
Damn it Jonas. You better keep your damn mouth shut.
Not that it'll likely matter, They are going to think he is the spy

Cornbread78

There is something extremely satisfying about watching Izetta completely destroy armored units with loose swords. It is a shame that her secret will get exposed and then exploited soon, as our little wimpy soldier will definately spill the beans to tbe enemy spy without knowing..

PBalfredo

Episode 1-4

I'm liking this so far. Izetta is powerful, but it's also clear that she's not Superman; there are limits to her power and she can't fight an entire war by herself. Too bad the Eylstadt army is horribly outgunned. Renault FT tanks vs Panzer III's? Yeah, good luck with that. Princess Fine` is pretty rad, too. I like how proactive she was in episode one. With the vibe between them, I hope Izetta x Fine` becomes an actual thing, and not just teasing.

KHlover

Banned
tl;dr: Do you even INFOSEC?

Great episode, but both of these guys should be demoted for openly talking about literally the most important secret of the country.

Kvik

Episode 5

Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated. But we are initiated, aren't we? Members of not-Gestapo!

Also why does the member of Royal Guards are all female and relatively young? Princess Fine has to have her proclivities, I'm sure.

Great episode, but both of these guys should be demoted for openly talking about literally the most important secret of the country.

They can't really have the all-important chat in the camp. So they went for the next best thing (which is still rubbish)

A fan-service conversation about breast sizes is also a commentary on the power dynamic of the war.
Really liked how light-hearted the first half is but ratchets up towards the end.

WUItbwm.jpg
Loose lips might sink Ships

I knew that one character had a big death flag, but I didn't expect it to go where it went!

RangerBAD

Automatic promotion to Captain get. I figured that would happen, but just not that way. Sieg is dangerous for sure, but all in the name of the duchy. I'm interested to learn about his motivations.

Cornbread78

Damn, I was not expecting that ending to play out thd way it did. Thankfully, the secret didn't get out, however, the supression act was friggen brutal. Also, looks like we are going to fibd out more next week on what other occult secrets thr Germanians have.

The rest of the episode had a real lighthearted tone to it with some comedy and harmless/useless fanservice.

PBalfredo

Episode 7

Much better episode than last week. We had a fun battle sequence where the stakes felt higher because Izetta had a mission to accomplish on top of just keeping herself alive in that ambush, and the torpedoes were even more vulnerable than her. Good stuff.

At least the fan service this week came in the form of some private time with Fine`. I'm much happier seeing some cheesecake as a result of their growing relationship rather than secondaries like Elvira or Lotte just pawing at Izetta for no good reason.

In the diplomacy scene, next to the United States of Atlanta ambassador we see a Louisiana Ambassador. I'm guessing they're not referring to the state, since there is already an USA ambassador. So I wonder what country Louisiana is a stand in for. Canada by way of Quebec, maybe?

RangerBAD

Episode 7

Much better episode than last week. We had a fun battle sequence where the stakes felt higher because Izetta had a mission to accomplish on top of just keeping herself alive in that ambush, and the torpedoes were even more vulnerable than her. Good stuff.

At least the fan service this week came in the form of some private time with Fine`. I'm much happier seeing some cheesecake as a result of their growing relationship rather than secondaries like Elvira or Lotte just pawing at Izetta for no good reason.

In the diplomacy scene, next to the United States of Atlanta ambassador we see a Louisiana Ambassador. I'm guessing they're not referring to the state, since there is already an USA ambassador. So I wonder what country Louisiana is a stand in for. Canada by way of Quebec, maybe?

What we know as the United States of America is probably broken up into separate autonomous countries.

Cornbread78

Excellent battle sequence with Izetta putting it all on the line. It's a shame they learned her weakness, but the real important thing that happened was that the Germanians have their own witch, huh? Looks like shit is really going to go down in the home castle soon as well.

Izetta Episode 8
Germanian Empire I can understand with them being Not-Nazi-Nazi's and all... but the United States of Atlanta? They can go bomb themselves. I want this fairy tale to have a happy ending, not the depressing one we are seemingly going towards

PBalfredo

Episode 8

This one's a bit of a mix

+++Izetta and Fine` dressed to the nines at the ball
- Not-Gestapo guy is just there?? In Not-London??? How????

+Luckily the rest of the Royal Guard are competent...
- Since Bianca is constantly hesitating around this guy she just met

+ We don't have to wait until Not-Pearl Harbor to get Not-America into the mix
- Dammit Japan, why you gotta do us rotten like this?

Episode 8
Oh, wow, things are getting more and more interesting! RIP Any chance of a happy ending (2016-2016)
How the hell do you resolve this plot in 5 episodes? (assuming it's just 1 cour)
Thing are really not looking good for the heroes. Episode itself was pretty good, and it does shift gears for the overall plot, so it doesn't feel unimportant.

not-America pls.

What is it with Magical Red Stones and Nazis?

Cornbread78

Whelp, the cats outta the bag now. I was glad that smug little shit was offed, but it's gonna suck for Izetta and Eldstydt once the data is reviewed.... Also, fuck the US here, what a piece of shit.

PBalfredo

Like, I could get the not-USA's thinking if they wanted to Operation Paperclip Izetta over to their side before the Not-Soviets could get to her (which would still maintain dramatic conflict since obviously Izetta would want to stay in Elystadt with Fine`)

But for them to say to themselves "Okay, we got a shot at winning this because now we have this magical witch on our side who can fight Not-Germany to a stand still. So let's fight her and Not Germany at the same time!" is just, what???

I fell behind after episode 3, so I decided to rewatch and catchup with the dub.

Izetta's magic can be quite fun, despite being kinda broken when she can use it. I do appreciate the fact that there are limitations on where she can use it. And the whole scene where they had the elite guard cover up for her lack of abilities was great. Pretty clever cover-up on their part.

Jonas is totally going to fuck things up, dammit. :/

Funi's done a good job dubbing this too, I think they cast everyone well and they're all giving great performances.

Izetta Episode 9

Damn Germanian,
First you clone a witch... then you indoctrinate it to the Germanian side. I honestly have no idea how Elystadt, Izetta and Fine gets out of this alive.
-.-

RangerBAD

Izetta Episode 9

Damn Germanian,
First you clone a witch... then you indoctrinate it to the Germanian side. I honestly have no idea how Elystadt, Izetta and Fine gets out of this alive.
-.-

Sieg has the other half of the stone is my guess. When the stone combines back to its original state it's probably super powerful. If that's the case, I feel like the side effect would be Izetta losing all her powers or maybe dying. That's the ending I'm envisioning.

PBalfredo

Izetta Episode 9

Damn Germanian,
-.-

Sieg has the other half of the stone is my guess. When the stone combines back to its original state it's probably super powerful. If that's the case, I feel like the side effect would be Izetta losing all her powers or maybe dying. That's the ending I'm envisioning.

That or maybe some revelation about the legend of the original white witch will come up. Sophie's motivation seems to primarily be coming from the Germanian version of the legend where Eldstydt betrayed the original white witch. Proving that version wrong and showing that the Germanians have been feeding her hogwash might loosen or break Sophie's resolve to fight.

With how things currently are, I'm hoping the USA vs Eldstydt plotline is a red herring because Germania having their own witch makes it extra stupid for the US also fight an ally because they have a witch.

I do like the big old coat they gave
Sophie for when she's riding around on her broom-thing
. They nail the look of the military equipment, but the character designs need more of a period-appropriate clothing and hairstyles. Something like this would work.

source

Cornbread78

Fuck this plotline.. so stupid. A cloned witch that has been groomed to hate Eldsydt. WTF is this shit in myvlittle country that could anime? Bullshit..

RangerBAD

Fuck this plotline.. so stupid. A cloned witch that has been groomed to hate Eldsydt. WTF is this shit in myvlittle country that could anime? Bullshit..

Well, she's not brainwashed as episode 10 showed. It's true hatred. Looks like my prediction will likely be right too.

Cornbread78

Damn, Sophie is just tearing through Europe entirely without trying. Looks like she is ready to go full throttle to death and now Izetta is going to do the same!? Don't do it Izetta, you're a good witch; listen to Grandma!

Cornbread78

Hmmmm...

There's no way these witches live past this next battle. I'm betting they kill each other off in tbe next battle so the world is on equal footing going forward..

Well, at least we got a nice yuri romance scene bundled in this episode..

JC Lately

... They made sweet, sweet love on that broom and/or mountain top and no one will ever be able to convince me otherwise.

Shame Izetta ain't gonna survive the next episode.

Szadek

That was a pretty cool fight.
I wish thier powers were more distinct, but it's not such a big deal.
Witches tossing tanks at reach other will never be boring.

The ending of the episode was a bit rushed and the whole draining all magic from the world bit was a bit of asspull , but at least we got a happy yuri ending, so it wasn't too bad.

Cornbread78

Nice cozy ending of this decent anime. I was amazed that the 1 million death flags for Izetta never came to fruition. That battle with Sophie and Izetta was pretty damn cool though.

Izetta: The Last Witch - End

The fight between the two witches was great, and I liked how everything came together in the end. I wish that they'd kept things bittersweet and had Izetta die, but it was still a nice finale.

Linkark07

Banned
This was a guilty pleasure of mine. Perhaps, with more episodes, this could have been better, but overall, it was enjojable. 7/10 in my books. The anime was fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom