• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: PS4 sales up 380% on back of £149 bundles, 55% higher than Xbox one

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Sony’s PlayStation 4 has returned to the top of the weekly UK hardware race following a number of cut-price bundles.

Sales of the console climbed 380 per cent week-on-week, thanks to a 359 per cent boost to original PS4 sales, according to GfK hardware figures for the week ending October 1st obtained by MCV. Overall PS4 sales were 55 per cent higher than Xbox One.

However, sales of Microsoft’s machine fell by just 16 per cent, which is impressive considering the 989 per cent spike it enjoyed the previous week.

And Xbox One S sales remained 24 per cent higher than PS4 Slim, although PS4 claimed an overall market share of 57 per cent.

The PS4 sales spike followed widespread deals by several retailers, including Tesco, GAME, Argos and ShopTo, offering an original non-slim PS4 and a copy of either FIFA 17 or LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens for just £149 - £110 short of the RRP.

This was almost certainly an attempt to clear stock of the older machines ahead of efforts to shift the slim console in the run-up to Christmas, and before of the release of the PS4 Pro on November 10th.

[SOURCE]

Week 39, 2016 Hardware Data

PlayStation 4 (57%) [+380%]
Xbox One (37%) [-16%]
Others (6%)

Yup, November will be interesting™. When there are almost only PS4 Slims and XBOX One S around. And then PS4 Pro at some point of course.

Begaria

They're going back and forth over there

tumblr_inline_mpme5eEIHX1qz4rgp.gif

Unknown?

They're going back and forth over there
PS4 has always been ahead though. XO just recently had a big boost but PS4 has always enjoyed at least a small monthly lead.

Yup, November will be interesting™. When there are almost only PS4 Slims and XBOX One S around. And then PS4 Pro at some point of course.

Slim will get a big boost when the OG stock dries up. Same thing happened on Amazon once OG stock was a trickle.

wapplew

What's the conclusion for this week? Now 4K bluray drive doesn't matter?
maybe UK just price sensitive

While I know the content is in the article, I almost wish consoles sales thread titles would avoid mentioning the competition. Just seems conducive to riling up the console war peeps.

I would have just left it as 'ps4 sales up 380% in the UK of the backs of the reduced price' and left it at that. Of course, the percentage increase over the xb1 probably would have been brought up by another poster so...

Rourkey

I picked up a PS4 and am pleased with it, really shows up the convoluted mess that is the Xbox OS.

Bought it to play PES mainly as it looks shit on XB1

wapplew

While I know the content is in the article, I almost wish consoles sales thread titles would avoid mentioning the competition. Just seems conducive to riling up the console war peeps.

I would have just left it as 'ps4 sales up 380% in the UK of the backs of the reduced price' and left it at that. Of course, the percentage increase over the xb1 probably would have been brought up by another poster so...

I would prefer they give us raw numbers like Japan did.

kafiend

You would deny me entertainment?

gtj1092

Shows how important LED stripes are for the consumer. Sony and MS have made a huge mistake not including it in their hardware revisions.

Kayant

o_O so the king has been dethroned already.

I was very tempted to buy one but will wait for the next bomba.

Memory

It was a great deal, I would have bought a second one for the living room had the Xbox S not came out a week earlier and Gears 4 was not a thing.

STEaMkb

Anticipation for the PS4 Pro must be depleting PS4 Slim sales to some extent. For this reason I think sales will swing back and forth until November.

£149

Christ, how are they even making money? At least I know not to buy a PS4pro at launch but wait three years for that perfect price ;)

Theonik

Anticipation for the PS4 Pro must be depleting PS4 Slim sales to some extent. For this reason I think sales will swing back and forth until November.
If the PS4 pro was not around the corner I'd get a slim. Pro is much better value and cheap stock of fat is enough for now.

ethomaz

Banned
Let's try guess the numbers again...

[Before 989% boost]
XB1 ~2k
PS4 ~6k

[989% boost]
XB1 ~20k
PS4 ~7k

[380% boost]
XB1 ~17k
PS4 ~27k