• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Free to play till Oct. 30th. 2016

I was quite surprised to see there was no thread about this and didn't see any news of this in the last 4-5 updated star citizen threads I searched. So I decided to create a thread about it because this is new thread worthy.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/Free-Fly-Fall-2016

This apparently started yesterday, and will be going on until October 30th 2016.

So all you basically have to do is create your own account and also apply a promo code "fall2016" and then start downloading the game.

I just downloaded the game and tried it out for a few minutes just to see how my computer would run it.

Quite surprised, it's actually a real game. To be honest, I thought this was one of those titles that'll never come out. Looked too good to be true, and yet, here it is, on my computer, running at 60 frames, looking good as fuck too.

So I guess if you've been hearing about the game and always wanted to try it, well, there it is.

Gonna play it for a good chunk of time later tonight and give some impressions.

Rondras

Banned
Just was looking to create the thread. Thanks man.

I'm trying it for the first time, I follow the development but this is my first try and is just an awesome experience. I have some problems runing it in Universe mode in the Crusade station but the rest is completely fine. I'm having one of the best experiences of my life in a game, and it's just an alpha, I can't wait for Squadron 42 to come out and for the MMO mode to start having more and more content.

Miker

Which module is this for? Just the dogfighting? I'm still unclear as to which parts of the game are actually out.

Pjsprojects

I downloaded it last time they did this,very interested to see the improvements. It ran fine last time so eager to check it out tonight.

Downloading.

Curious what sort of performance I will get on i5 4690K, GTX970 and 8GB RAM.

Now, where did I put that joystick...

Rondras

Banned
Which module is this for? Just the dogfighting? I'm still unclear as to which parts of the game are actually out.

Universe(MMO), Hangar(well, just that xD) and Arena Commander(Races,dogfighting,free roam(i think there are like 6 modes(online)).

In Universe you can go to the city, buy clothes,medick packs, weapons, meet people,etc or go to Crusade and pick a ship and go to do missions(fight pirates,repair coms,etc).

That is a large download isn't it?
The game is 20GB

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
In Universe you can go to the city, buy clothes,medick packs, weapons, meet people,etc or go to Crusade and pick a ship and go to do missions(fight pirates,repair coms,etc).

You have that backward. Crusader is a city where you can chat with people, walk around and check out shops. The Stanton System is the baby persistent universe where you can choose a ship from the computer, hop in it, fly around and do some missions, land in other stations, steal other people's ships, get your ship stolen, etc.

Cool, would like to try this game.

After the installation of the Star Citizen Launcher, when I open the launcher, it opens for about a second and then closes.

Done a quick search around to see if there's a fix but haven't been able to figure anything out.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Arex

The game is 20GB

20 gigs? Ugh.. I don't know if it'll finish downloading by the 31st in my case lol T_T

edit: is this direct download, or will I be able to turn off my pc and continue downloading the next time I turn it on?

Rondras

Banned
You have that backward. Crusader is a city where you can chat with people, walk around and check out shops. The Stanton System is the baby persistent universe where you can choose a ship from the computer, hop in it, fly around and do some missions, land in other stations, steal other people's ships, get your ship stolen, etc.

In Universe, when I pick a spawn shows: Area18 (the city) and Crusader, where you pick the ship and then go flying, in both are people but Astro is only the city, with an elevator to go to Crusader. Maybe it's a bug idk but that's how shows it for me.

20 gigs? Ugh.. I don't know if it'll finish downloading by the 31st in my case lol T_T

edit: is this direct download, or will I be able to turn off my pc and continue downloading the next time I turn it on?
You can exit and come back again and it will continue where you left the download.

DieH@rd

Banned
Quite surprised, it's actually a real game. To be honest, I thought this was one of those titles that'll never come out. Looked too good to be true, and yet, here it is, on my computer, running at 60 frames, looking good as fuck too.

That's just stupid internet echo chamber stuff. Game is progressing well, and since it is crowdfunded project, all mistakes or delays are very harshly welcomed by the public.

It's a big and very complicated game with SP and MMO sections, so it will take time for it to be done.

Rondras

Banned
That's just stupid internet echo chamber stuff. Game is progressing well, and since it is crowdfunded project, all mistakes or delays are very harshly welcomed by the public.

It's a big and very complicated game with SP and M\MO sections, so it will take time for it to be done.

Yup, that internet echo is hurting the game a lot. I saw a spanish post about the free days and all comments were: never coming out, doesn't have anything to do...
Some web(eurogamer or someone like this) needs to do a serious post about the game to explain everyone what's going on. Because obviously casuals don't watch SC channel in YT

Javin98

Banned
Nice, pretty interested to see how my i5 6500 and GTX 1060 will handle the game. Might download it, but how big is the download?

Ugh, just saw the post above. 20GB?! If I have other games to play, I think I will probably pass.

vio

Nice, pretty interested to see how my i5 6500 and GTX 1060 will handle the game. Might download it, but how big is the download?

Ugh, just saw the post above. 20GB?! If I have other games to play, I think I will probably pass.

i7 920 and gtx1060 here, i hope it runs OK at 1080p.

Outrun

Yup, that internet echo is hurting the game a lot. I saw a spanish post about the free days and all comments were: never coming out, doesn't have anything to do...
Some web(eurogamer or someone like this) needs to do a serious post about the game to explain everyone what's going on. Because obviously casuals don't watch SC channel in YT

Pretending that CIG's own deadlines are not being missed is not the way to go.

This serious post that you want would reveal the delays that have occurred, most notably with SQ42.

I hope this game comes together. When I attempted to play the tutorial a couple of months ago, it was not working. And when you go to ask for help in the CIG forum, elements of the community will tell you to accept that because it is an alpha.

I am glad I got my money back.

But if it turns out to be stellar, I will gladly eat crow and make that purchase.

ehead

This might sound a bit late but does the game have some kind of weird drm? I've already started downloading the game and completely forgot about the drm situation.

I checked it out the other day, had a blast.

This seems like a good order of business for people like me who either haven't looked at it in years or are starting out:

First load up the Hangar [Poke around, look at ship(s)], then leave the hangar by the door at the back and go to Arc Corp [Run around, gawk at the city, chat with people and play dress up with your char], then return to the elevator and go to Port Olisar [shenanigans ensue, fly ships, do missions etc.].

Sneaking onto peoples' ships when they're leaving the space station and waiting to 'introduce yourself' when they think they're on their own in the middle of nowhere doing a mission is hilarious.

PFD

Didn't kotaku just publish a 6-month investigation on the game last month?

Can't get 60fps on 1080p on low settings. Too jittery, framedrops. Borders on unplayable for me, unfortunately.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel i5 6600k
MSI GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM
Asus z170 pro

Something is wrong then. Only difference between your setup and mine is I run a 6700k and 3200Mhz DDR4. I was able to do 4k at highest settings without much problem. In the main city, I'd see about 25-30fps, everywhere else was around 50-60fps.

Scoobie

Thanks for the tip, downloading now. Hopefully will fare OK at 1080p with stock RX 480 8GB and i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz.

Steel

Banned

Yeah, the game's reputation is mostly because every single detail of its development has been under the spotlight. Most other games don't announce until they're almost done nowadays.

Didn't kotaku just publish a 6-month investigation on the game last month?

Yeah, and they also concluded that the game was not a scam and was making real progress.

vio

I'm honestly more worried about my CPU. Most of the time when I get frame rate drops, it's because of my i5 6500. Not sure how your i7 920 would fare, though.

Universe does not run so great, as expected. Offline stuff is smooth at high settings.

Pigge

Neo Member
It's worth to keep in mind that the frame-rate being low and such in the "Universe" part of the game now is server-side.

The proper networking for the full game isn't implemented yet.

Running Arena Commander is more indicative of the goal for the full games frame-rate.

No matter your GPU/CPU you wont regularly run 40+ FPS in the Universe part of the current game.

kuYuri

I can't seem to sign into the launcher. It keeps saying my credentials are wrong even though I know I'm entering it correctly. :/

EDIT: Finally it worked. No clue why it kept failing.

Maybe it's cause I just woke up but their website is confusing

How is the game being hurt if it's not out yet? Until they release a final game, they will get scrutinized and that is normal. They've collected a ton of money

Steel

Banned
So what's all in it?

Arena commander where you can play some matchmade game-modes like racing, objective game-modes, free-flight, horde-mode and dogfighting. A tutorial that gives an idea of how story missions would go. A space universe module that has missions in it that you play with other players in(because they're still working on the servers, your performance will be less than ideal here). A city universe module where you can do some shopping for guns and clothes and the like. A hangar module where you can look inside your ships.

Pjsprojects

My results all at the very high graphics setting running 1080p.

Hanger - locked 60fps
City - 35-45fps
Outside the station in space suit - 30-35fps
Arena Commander - 25-35fps

All eight cpu core at approx 60% so guess I'm a bit GPU limited on this one.

Spec- 8350 @4.2 - R9.290X @std clocks - 16gb DDR3 @1833

Load times seem bad on a 7200rpm, drive. Other than that it all runs fine apart from shop doors seem to get stuck.

RK9039

My results all at the very high graphics setting running 1080p.

Hanger - locked 60fps
City - 35-45fps
Outside the station in space suit - 30-35fps

All eight cpu core at approx 60% so guess I'm a bit GPU limited on this one.

Spec- 8350 @4.2 - R9.290X @std clocks - 16gb DDR3 @1833

Load times seem bad on a 7200rpm, drive. Other than that it all runs fine apart from shop doors seem to get stuck.

Now try Arena Commander.

Top Bottom