• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 PS4 Pro enhancements (Edit: Will run higher than 1080p)

It will use dynamic resolution scaling(it will stay above 1080p but no further clarification) and will have a more stable framerate.

It also seems like Sony didn't give the developers of these upcoming Fall games much notice to develop more thorough PS4 Pro patches.

“We did not get much of a heads up, like most people,” said McCoy. “So we didn’t get a tonne of time. Like no one even knew about it until….I don’t even know, but it was late. Since it’s just the PS4, but faster, it’s really not that hard to say ‘when running on PS4 do this, and when running on PS4 Pro do that.’'....

“Because we also made the PC version, we have some nobs we can tweak, so we just spent some time making sure it still runs well and looks good on PS4 Pro. You know, making sure it doesn’t look any worse at all. That’s the requirement: it can’t run any worse or look worse than on PS4. So it runs better, looks better and has no bugs on PS4 Pro.

http://stevivor.com/2016/10/titanfall-2-isnt-native-4k-ps4-pro-stable-frame-rate-resolution/

Mod Abuse:

From Respawn:

Not sure where you're getting that. Yes it runs higher than 1080p on PS4Pro.

(Not sure how explicit we can be yet, but wanted to correct that at least.)

Hip Hop

Man, I was championing these upcoming console releases from Sony and Microsoft, but this is the negative of being a closed system.

I wish Sony required more out of new games.
Hopefully this doesn't become the norm of just a few tweaks here and there.

But then again, the CPU is another wall

and they did get the dev kits late.

Mrbob

We'll see how much it runs better.

If 1080P doesn't get significant improvements I'm going to skip the pro. Don't care about 4K right now and its a super niche market.

joebruin

how long ago did people get the dev kits?

where does the article mention 1080p? seems odd if they can't get it native 1080p. the quotes seem to be about 4k and native 4k not being possible for most AAA titles (which isn't anything newsworthy as sony has been pushing the checkerboard method)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sound rather disappointing to be honest. Will not even hold a native 1080p, but will have a more stable framerate.
]

Where does it say that the game will not be 1080p.

From where i'm standing, it looks like your completely misrepresenting what was said.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

From where i'm standing, it looks like your completely misrepresenting what was said.

I assume they mean this:

“It’s a PS4 that’s faster. We’re able to increase the resolution, we have high-res shadows, and maybe higher particle counts. The frame rate is more stable; we have dynamic resolution scaling on all consoles, but it scales down less often on PS4 Pro to maintain 60 frames-per-second.”

duckroll

“It’s not native 4K and I would be surprised if anyone saw native 4K with AAA level games any time soon,” said McCoy. “It just takes so much processing power. It’s unbelievable amounts of just GPU grunt to do that [native 4K].

“It’s a PS4 that’s faster. We’re able to increase the resolution, we have high-res shadows, and maybe higher particle counts. The frame rate is more stable; we have dynamic resolution scaling on all consoles, but it scales down less often on PS4 Pro to maintain 60 frames-per-second.”

That seems pretty clear that on the PS4 Pro it will be the same dynamic resolution as it is on PS4, which means 1080p as long as it can handle it, otherwise it scales down. And it scales down -less- often on the Pro, suggesting it still does.

Inuhanyou

^

I assume they mean this:

That doesn't say anything about 1080p. That just means it will drop less from whatever resolution it has to maintain 60.

You can have a dynamic resolution from any set res.

AFAIK, its mandatory to run at 1080p on Pro at a minimum, so that would not even be allowed.

AmyS

I'll wait before buying Titanfall 2. If they patch in a more significant upgrade for Pro in a couple of months, I'll take another look.

brobban

Sound rather disappointing to be honest. Will not even hold a native 1080p, but will have a more stable framerate.

It's actually part of the Sony TRC that all PS4 Pro titles run atleast 1080p native. It probably just means that the resolution scales from 1080 and upwards.

Pennywise

“It’s not native 4K and I would be surprised if anyone saw native 4K with AAA level games any time soon,” said McCoy. “It just takes so much processing power. It’s unbelievable amounts of just GPU grunt to do that [native 4K].

That seems pretty clear that on the PS4 Pro it will be the same dynamic resolution as it is on PS4, which means 1080p as long as it can handle it, otherwise it scales down. And it scales down -less- often on the Pro, suggesting it still does.

Wasn't the Alpha running on 900p and they haven't really stated what the final version of the normal PS4 will run on ?

Inuhanyou

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

The leaked documentation was reversed? From what i've seen that's the case.

In general, i'd say that any developer that can't take a 2.23x gap in GPU disparity and at the least keep a game running at 1080p, is a failure at programming, or their engine is busted, or something in that area.

“We did not get much of a heads up, like most people,” said McCoy. “So we didn’t get a tonne of time. Like no one even knew about it until….I don’t even know, but it was late. Since it’s just the PS4, but faster, it’s really not that hard to say ‘when running on PS4 do this, and when running on PS4 Pro do that.’'....
There was an IGN interview with Peter Moore not too long ago where he said he knew more about Scorpio than Neo. This was before the PS4 Pro reveal, but all the leaks pointed to the system releasing this year, which it will. At the time, I wasn't sure if Moore was being completely honest, and just didn't want to talk about it. But it really does sound like Sony kept it a secret (other than the leaks) from developers and publishers. I recall the PS4 reveal being similar.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
^

That doesn't say anything about 1080p. That just means it will drop less from whatever resolution it has to maintain 60.

You can have a dynamic resolution from any set res.

AFAIK, its mandatory to run at 1080p on Pro at a minimum, so that would not even be allowed.

So I did look through that 40+ page slideshow that Eurogamer wrote their report on and honestly I didn't see anywhere where it specified you had to hit 1080p. It just listed out a 1080p mode and a """4K mode""", which I think Eurogamer took to mean a game was required to run in 1080p as opposed to just the mode the game runs in while connected to a 1080p television.

Maybe I missed something obvious.

Man, I was championing these upcoming console releases from Sony and Microsoft, but this is the negative of being a closed system.

I wish Sony required more out of new games.
Hopefully this doesn't become the norm of just a few tweaks here and there.

But then again, the CPU is another wall

and they did get the dev kits late.

In this case this seems to be the main problem. I don't think these early titles are an indication either way since they didn't have enough time

joebruin

It's actually part of the Sony TRC that all PS4 Pro titles run atleast 1080p native. It probably just means that the resolution scales from 1080 and upwards.

that's what i took from it. why would he even mention 4k if the game can't even hit 1080p? gonna be sad if he really was talking bout 1080p

I mean its getting more and more disappointing by the day hearing these things simply because we were expecting more but it definitely sounds like 100% Sony's fault for giving necessary information to the devs so late.

Hopefully games moving forward further off from this fall will have proper enhancements across the board.

Pennywise

There was an IGN interview with Peter Moore not too long ago where he said he knew more about Scorpio than Neo. This was before the PS4 Pro reveal, but all the leaks pointed to the system releasing this year, which it will. At the time, I wasn't sure if Moore was being completely honest, and just didn't want to talk about it. But it really does sound like Sony kept it a secret (other than the leaks) from developers and publishers. I recall the PS4 reveal being similar.

They gave a presentation at the gdc though, the place the leaked documents orginated from.
I don't really renember if we ever got any info about those who attended.

duckroll

The leaked documentation was reversed?

I find it very hard to believe that Sony will really care about actual native render resolution. I mean, if you have all UI assets at 1080p, output at 1080p, but the internal 3D resolution is lower for performance reasons who is going to give a shit?

onQ123

How the hell devs not know anything about the PS4 Pro until it was late when even we knew about it from the leaked documents?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How the hell devs not know anything about the PS4 Pro until it was late when even we knew about it from the leaked documents?

"Knowing about it" and having sufficient information and development kits to actually make a game are rather different.

Oh, God, judging the whole of the Pros lifecycle based on early games, incoming ...

If they want people to buy their new console, they need to do better than this at launch

Devs in the middle of crunching to finish their games allocated resources to develope for a rumored console?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm really suspicious of the way this is written and the timing. We have a statement like this:

and this:
You know, making sure it doesn’t look any worse at all. That’s the requirement: it can’t run any worse or look worse than on PS4. So it runs better, looks better and has no bugs on PS4 Pro.

on the same day we have this from their marketing partners:

http://uploadvr.com/microsoft-project-scorpio-update/

The whole thing comes across as downplaying the Pro with a dollop of bitterness.

Inuhanyou

So I did look through that 40+ page slideshow that Eurogamer wrote their report on and honestly I didn't see anywhere where it specified you had to hit 1080p. It just listed out a 1080p mode and a """4K mode""", which I think Eurogamer took to mean a game was required to run in 1080p as opposed to just the mode the game runs in while connected to a 1080p television.

It was stated by Giant Bomb in their first leaks, and corroborated by Eurogamer

]1080p is the mandatory minimum display resolution: Sony is keen to push developers on to higher resolutions and super-sampling down to full HD is an option, but 1080p is the lowest pixel-count allowed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ion-4k-neo-and-the-original-ps4-will-co-exist

I find it very hard to believe that Sony will really care about actual native render resolution. I mean, if you have all UI assets at 1080p, output at 1080p, but the internal 3D resolution is lower for performance reasons who is going to give a shit?

Sony did not invest in a GPU that is twice as powerful and 3 years more advanced technologically than a GPU that already did 1080p native on 90% of games to hear something like that i think.

I'm really suspicious of the way this is written and the timing. We have a statement like this:

That marketing cracks me up though. It's the "anti-NX". So eager to talk about their console that is a year from release

onQ123

I think EG just mixed up the part about Sony telling devs to get in contact with them if they are not able to reach 1800P

Sakujou

Banned
this is pretty much showing that consoles will go the deprived ways of pc= crippled versions and even worse performance is coming.

i want closed systems and one system for a generation because you will see how the devs make the best out of a system in the following years. its interesting to see how games look at the beginning and at the end of the gen.

now games wont look like they were programmed like that anymore....

Can you even control how low a game scales if you are truly using a dynamic system? Also it would seem to be a questionable design decision to push the resolution higher than required if just sticking with that target would produce more stable gameplay. Especially considering they seem to really emphasize the time constraints. They didn't clarify the target, but now they should because what was said about their enhancements and Pro in general are not very flaterring.

joebruin

The whole thing comes across as downplaying the Pro.

why would people care about the scorpio for titanfall 2 though? game could very well be DOA due to its release date not to mention a year from now. they need to sell as many copies on all platforms they can get.

Guess Who

Banned

The quote says that they increased the resolution and that the resolution scales down less often. I think it takes a somewhat cynical reading to interpret that as "it still tops out at 1080p and just downscales less."

duckroll

Actually, all this PS4 Pro talk about mandatory requirements is hilarious because.... isn't Titanfall 2 coming out this week? That means that any PS4 Pro benefits they add in a patch are bonuses at their discretion. There is nothing Sony could even do to mandate anything given that it is a pre-PS4 Pro game effectively. :p

Top Bottom