• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New PS5 Pro GPU details emerge - including a 2.35GHz max boost clock

I’m excited for the extra perf, hopefully it will push the bar a bit for graphics in general.

Can’t say I’m super excited for the next gen though and what’s on the horizon. I loved the custom storage controller element on PS5, I just wish they’d do something like that for physics or ai or anything. Maybe add a cell processor like they did with the emotion engine on the original PS3.

Weird comment to make; the PS5 Pro would be formidable upgrade even without the 45% raster improvement because of PSSR and RT. The fact that we get 45% GPU on top of all this makes any reference or comparison to PS4 Pro downright laughable.
Tbf I was hoping for something more like a 60-80% raw raster improvement (I wasn’t expecting 2x)

paolo11

So does this confirm it will majorly improve the IQ of FF7 rebirth’s performance mode or add more fps on graphics mode?

I think it’s funny that we get a pro, but honestly I feel no developer actually got the maximum out of the current PS5. Sure lazy developers wants the updated one now, so they can easily offer 30fps on base PS5 and 60fps on pro, but I think we won’t see the full potential of the current PS5 until the end of its lifetime.

Moses85

Bb24 GIF by Big Brother

onQ123

45% more powerful is not bad to be honest. I just want min standard 4K/60 and a better-looking console. Don't care too much about RT because that's still going to sacrifice res and frames.

Not in this case PS5 Pro will only have 45% more rasterizing power so when that 45% is put towards a internal resolution boost like going from 1440P to 1800P it will still have compute left over for Ray-Tracing & ML upscaling.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can't wait to see this thing running some games.

I might not be day one for once, but as soon as a big first parry game releases on it I'll pick one up.

I'll hand down one of my 2 x ps5s to my son.

Last edited:
VRS is, and will always be, garbage.

Hardware or not
Yeah, why tell me "hey we'll make the sides of the screen look worse so the center looks better" lol. They talked it up quite a bit when it was announced and then nearly every game I've seen them critique that has it gets dinged for it.

So for those of us who are technically inept, is that good or bad?
With all the improvements to the hardware, it should benefit devs massively, while making things easier to implement. For gamers? Better performance, improvements to graphics & boosts to already existing games we know and love. It's a massive W!!!

Last edited:

Cyborg

Sounds good to me, I can't wait. I'm so curious as to how the final form will be, I have my doubts it will be completely different than PS5.

Radical_3d

Let me toss this gernade into the arena. What if this ps5 pro gives enough resources and power for them to offer backward compatibility to ps3 games? Could you imagine a bigger splash and diversion to switch 2 than a 4k/120 powerhouse that also now allows ps3/ps4/ps5 upscaling on games??

That would really make some headlines imho. Plus carry them over Xbox for the remainder of ps5 lifespan
The reason not to have PS3 (and earlier) emulation on PS5 is greed, not processing power.

Emet_bp

If it is power constrained, then this 2,35 GHz mode is most probably for PS5 games without the Pro update. I mean they will probably use 36 out of 60 CUs, but upclocked to 2,35 GHz.
For native (patched) Pro version games using all 60 CUs, GPU will be clocked lower.

PS5 games using BC will likely run at those max clocks (for both CPU and GPU). And the 30% bandwidth improvements will also help in a lot of games. There is going to be a boost on unpatched PS5 games, but not a lot (mostly from the bandwidth probably). Thankfully Sony found a way to get PSSR in those games with a minimum of work from the developer!
Weird comment to make; the PS5 Pro would be formidable upgrade even without the 45% raster improvement because of PSSR and RT. The fact that we get 45% GPU on top of all this makes any reference or comparison to PS4 Pro downright laughable.
Exactly. This is how people should read those specs. But again, those 45% raster improvements are a honest take from an engineer perspective. For reference PS4 Pro got only about 77% raster improvement in most cases with an impressive and deceitful 120% GPU boost. Results are not linear with performance, and they never were whether on consoles or PC. But PS4 Pro had nothing much else than those raster improvements (which is why they had to use CBR). Here PS5 Pro will have much better stuff with AI upscaling and RDNA4 RT.

Last edited:
Bloodborne remake is such a requested title that I really dont think it can fly under any radar... as soon as this thing is greenlighted we will hear about it.
They did surprise everyone at e3 2015 with shenmue 3 and ff7 remake. Something that was kept under wraps. Both of those were highly requested for years.

Idk I like surprises.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
No matter what this thing can do Devs will still have an all bells and whistles 30fps mode to go alongside the cut down 60fps mode which means I'll still be in the same dilemma of sacrificing visuals for FPS and for for me personally I don't like sacrificing visuals

Bernardougf

Gold Member
They did surprise everyone at e3 2015 with shenmue 3 and ff7 remake. Something that was kept under wraps. Both of those were highly requested for years.

Idk I like surprises.
Well I hope that when they announce the remake/remaster is something that is already in advanced development ... not see you in 3 years on the ps6 😅

But yeah ... bloodborne would be sweet... specially if they gave bluepoint the chance to do a sequel. Or a game in the same genre

Can you imagine sony with their own "souls like" studio ... would be awsome (if handled properly)

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I assume this is overall performance so imagine if they bumped up the CPU a generation… we would be looking at a two fold performance increase
True but that would almost be a new gen all together

We will be getting that type of performance boost soon though

Harrison Ford Flirting GIF by Star Wars

2 fold performance would be a disaster for generational leap so no it’s not new gen (I was expecting the pro to be 60-80% better raw improvement before extra technologies the 45% if true is very disappointing especially cause this will be a more expensive console)

Edder1

Throw most stuff out the window of the tech speak just know its about 45% more powerful than the current PS5 and on top of that will have PSSR to upscale patched games and will have much better ray tracing
45% more powerful GPU, the CPU ain't much of an improvement.

Xtib81

Have you heard anything with regard to Sony's plans for the PS6 in terms of release window? Are we looking at a 4-year gap between the ps5 pro and the PS6 or could it release sooner, in 2027 for example?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Have you heard anything with regard to Sony's plans for the PS6 in terms of release window? Are we looking at a 4-year gap between the ps5 pro and the PS6 or could it release sooner, in 2027 for example?
Honestly I haven't heard anything in regards to PS6

Again, you are focusing on the most inconsequential upgrade of the PS5 Pro. We are receiving hardware AI Upscaling and 3x faster ray tracing. Why don't you convert this into TF and come back with calculations - how many RDNA 2 teraflops are needed to produce identical results as a PS5 Pro?
The reason this it’s not good is cause the lack of raw raster boost means a lot of games won’t improve much at all without a heavily specialized patch (even if the gpu is more than enough for the task)

Hopefully more powerful than the next xbox. Which promised the largest technical leap. Though im getting both consoles for GP.

Im hoping they do away with load times altogether on PS6. When the PS5 came out wasn't it comparable to an RTX 2070/2060? So maybe PS6 will be comparable to whatever RTX graphics cards they have out. The RTX 6000 or 7000 series.
The ps5 is comparable to those cards in rt but in pure raster it’s on average a 2080 and sometimes the super

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The reason this it’s not good is cause the lack of raw raster boost means a lot of games won’t improve much at all without a heavily specialized patch (even if the gpu is more than enough for the task)

Not true at all.

Give me your top 5 games you would like to see get visual improvement

Top Bottom