• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Scorpio releases, will Microsoft drop the Xbox One branding from game cases?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is under the assumption that Scorpio itself loses the One branding also. But either way, given the direction Microsoft plans to take their gaming platform, it wouldn't make sense to continue to use Xbox One at the top of all their game cases.I would have thought that all games are just "Xbox" games, so I figure they'll probably just remove the One part from the case given all games will work going forward in (supposed) perpetuity.

I made a quick mock up to give an idea

pRpCuxT.jpg

So it's still recognisable as an Xbox One game for all existing owners but in keeping with the new direction, all games would just be Xbox game that work across all consoles. Obviously at some point, they'll most likely have a logo on the back to list which Xbox console is the "minimum base" console required to run the game, much like how iOS apps mention the minimum phone or iPad required.

Kinda like this one. Thoughts?

u3l2S1m.jpg

Because at some point, despite all games working on Xbox One (for the time being) they'll drop the name Xbox One from their consoles.

spons

Obviously at some point, they'll most likely have a logo on the back to list which Xbox console is the "minimum base" console required to run the game, much like how iOS apps mention the minimum phone or iPad required.

They will have to do that from the get-go because there are people who will think these games will run on their 360s. Then they'll sue Microsoft for false advertising.

This might sound far-fetched but people are inane.

Chris1

I think they should have done it with the slim and just went with xbox. But now I don't think so. Scorpio will be called xbox one (insert word here).

I think releasing a new console and changing the name on cases at the same time leads to confusion.

Because at some point, despite all games working on Xbox One (for the time being) they'll drop the name Xbox One from their consoles.

No they won't. Spencer has been very clear in saying that Scorpio is part of the *Xbox One* family.

Xbox One isn't a single console anymore, but a family of products. Probably even Scorpio's successor will be part of the same family.

Majine

Banned
It will still be called Xbox One... something. The people who think they will just call it Xbox have no idea what they're talking about.

jelly

I dunno, it's a branding headache when you want to show off and hype a new product.

My old thought was as you see now the games have a 360 label etc. on your dashboard so the software has distinction but the hardware going forward might not be so clear.

Scorpio would just be called 'Xbox' and perhaps a Gen 5 distinction and the new gen games are labelled something unique 360, Xbox One etc.

krang

No they won't. Spencer has been very clear in saying that Scorpio is part of the *Xbox One* family.

Xbox One isn't a single console anymore, but a family of products. Probably even Scorpio's successor will be part of the same family.

"Xbox" is the platform, "Xbox One" is the hardware line.

Jacknapes

I wouldn't think they would ditch the Xbox One name from packaging, they did mention that all current and future Xbox One software would work on Scorpio. I'd be assuming they'd stick with the name for now.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I think they should have done it with the slim and just went with xbox. But now I don't think so. Scorpio will be called xbox one (insert word here).

I think releasing a new console and changing the name on cases at the same time leads to confusion.
Eh, I disagree on both points.

I don't think they should have changed the packaging just for the One S, that would have certainly been confusing..its still an Xbox One just with an added function.

Scorpio is an entirely new console that happens to be 100% backwards compatible, MS should and I'm sure will drop the One designation. It'll just be Xbox Scorpio or whatever they end up calling it.

It will still be called Xbox One... something. The people who think they will just call it Xbox have no idea what they're talking about.
See above, and I certainly don't think they'll just call it 'Xbox'.

Lucifon

I don't think they should have changed the packaging just for the One S, that would have certainly been confusing..its still an Xbox One just with an added function.

Scorpio is an entirely new console that happens to be 100% backwards compatible, MS should and I'm sure will drop the One designation. It'll just be Xbox Scorpio or whatever they end up calling it.

See above, and I certainly don't think they'll just call it 'Xbox'.

No chance, that would only confuse matters much more. The branding is staying the same, Xbox One is the console platform.

It's part of the 'Xbox One Family' so whatever they decide to officially call Scorpio, it will be the Xbox One ... something.

The name and brand ain't going anywhere, this gen.

Chris1

That's kind of the point. Xbox One S, rebrand game discs to Xbox, people will know they play on Xbox because there's no newer console out. It gives you a year for people to get used to it and adjusted. Then when people know Xbox cases = Xbox one, release Scorpio with a new name detached from xbox one (like Xbox Scorpio) to get rid of the bad stigma, but still part of the xbox one family.

Now you release Xbox Scorpio, and you change all new physical cases to say just Xbox.. That's adding a ton of confusing and people will think you need Xbox Scorpio to play these new games with just "Xbox" and the old Xbox One can only play games with "Xbox One" cases. Thus I think it's not happening now, and the name of Scorpio will be Xbox One Scorpio, or whatever.

Mat-triX

As if calling the console "Xbox One" wasn't bad enough, now you feel it should call the games just "Xbox"? What if someone says:

"I want to play that Call of Duty (the one with the subtitle) game on my Xbox?"

callofduty_FinestHour_XBOX.jpg

FyreWulff

If they actually hold to games requiring to run on the base One, they will likely keep the name + branding, and any Scorpio'd games will either have a case badge or a thing on the back.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I think that the Scorpio will be named Xbox Two

KORNdoggy

seeing as it's not a new gen. it will maintain the xbox one brand in some form despite how badly MS will probably want to move on from it. xbox one pro or something. it needs to be clear the games work on both systems.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Scorpio is an Xbox One, so no, I don't see them dropping the XB1 brand.

This needs to be clear :

1) Although Scorpio is more than 5 times more powerful than Xbox One, it is NOT a new generation Xbox. Microsoft has clearly and repeatedly specified this.

2) Since Scorpio is an Xbox One, it plays Xbox One games, of course.

3) Since Microsoft does not have their own bespoke VR solution, they will support 3rd party VR headsets like Occulus Rift and Vive

4) Since Xbox One and Xbox One S both do not have enough hardware power to drive Occulus/Vive software in an acceptable manner, Scorpio will be a requirement for VR software.

5) Since Xbox One Scorpio, at minimum, is needed for VR within the Xbox One family, these are your "exclusive Scorpio games"

That is all.

Scorpio is an Xbox One, so no, I don't see them dropping the XB1 brand.

This needs to be clear :

1) Although Scorpio is more than 5 times more powerful than Xbox One, it is NOT a new generation Xbox. Microsoft has clearly and repeatedly specified this.

2) Since Scorpio is an Xbox One it plays Xbox One games, of course.

3) Since Microsoft does not have their own bespoke VR solution, they will support 3rd party VR headsets like Occulus Rift and Vive

4) Since OCTOBER Xbox One and Xbox One S both do not have enough hardware power drive Occulus/Vive software in an acceptable manner, Scorpio will be a requirement for VR software.

5) Since Xbox One Scorpio, at minimum, is needed for VR within the Xbox One family, these are your "exclusive Scorpio games"

That is all.

Good breakdown.

Why do people think of the Scorpio as a next generation console? It's just a better Xbox One. They'll call it Xbox One!!

Unless I misunderstood I thought from now on the plan was that any new hardware (scorpio , the one after that, and so on) will be backwards/forwards compatible - no more generation resets - or have I got that wrong

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Unless I misunderstood I thought from now on the plan was that any new hardware (scorpio , the one after that, and so on) will be backwards/forwards compatible - no more generation resets - or have I got that wrong

That is what Microsoft is implying with their "Beyond Generations" mantra.

Conversely, Sony has alluted to a literal (albeit with ~3 year separation)iPhone iteration model..that is;

PS4
PS4 Pro
Next Generation PlayStation (PS5)
Next Generation PlayStation Pro (PS5 Pro)
Next Next Generation PlayStation (PS6)
Next Next Generation PlayStation Pro (PS6 Pro)
And so on

Yoday

I agree, and it's unfortunate because it's going to be hard coming up with a clear naming line that has to follow "One". Xbox One 2 is just absurd sounding, so it has to be another word or a letter. Adding on another word is going to make the name far too long, so it will likely be another letter. It's possible that they just adopt Xbox One S as the core name going forward and tack a number on the end of it like the Samsung Galaxy S series.

Another more crazy idea I've had is that if licencing reasons makes them stuck with the Xbox One brand in order to maintain compatibility going forward then they could work it into an acronym as a rebrand. The logic would be dumb, but Xbox One X(X to represent Windows 10) could be turned into XBOX.

Honestly though, I bet we see them continue with Xbox One S2. I've never seen them lean so heavily into the brand name of a slim before, which leads me to believe that the S is the start of a brand refresh that they plan to continue.

Yoday

That's the idea, and Phil has said it is the plan, but he won't commit to it because the market needs to dictate that it is the way to go.

timberger

Don't be ridiculous. Scorpio is an Xbox One, it will have the same library and releases as Xbox One. How would changing the branding on game cases make sense for the majority of Xbox gamers who won't be bothering with the Scorpio model?

Welfare

MS seem to like having a letter designation to new models of consoles

Xbox 360
Xbox 360 S
Xbox 360 E

Xbox One
Xbox One S

So Scorpio will probably be just a new letter. They could go Xbox One Pro, Xbox One Elite, or my favorite, Xbox One Ultra.

jelly

I personally think it's basically a next gen system with native backwards compatibility. Don't care if Microsoft claim otherwise, I've seen double talk before.

I think this too. Microsoft won't admit it though for obvious reasons but it doesn't really matter, they are still supporting Xbox One and will for a good few years yet but I don't doubt a time will come in less than 4 years when one of their tent pole games won't make an appearance on Xbox One and be Scorpio exclusive or so watered down that you avoid it at all costs.

Top Bottom