• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One to support Bitstream passthrough (Atmos) - at last

Finally officially announced... we'll get Bitstream passthrough (and hence Dolby Atmos support) on XBox "with the creator's update"... which is apparently Spring '17.

Probably only relevant to a handful of us - but FINALLY, great news.

ISee

Then it's settled. My future UHD home device for Blu Rays and streaming will be the Xbox One S and not the PSPro.

Afrikan

if this works like it's supposed to....plus the update that improves UI speed...

well I'm as close as ever to get the XBOX S as my Ultra BluRay Player/Forza Horizon Machine.

I'm still deciding between the S and the Phillips $299 Ultra BluRay Player. I have a few weeks left!

I'm curious why that wasn't settled when it was announced the Pro lacked a UHD blu drive?

From my perspective, I was worried about all the glitches I was reading about....some movies not working...hd sound not working...HDR being off a bit... so even though I'd love to have it as a gaming machine...I'm mainly getting it as a cheap UBluRay Player...I'm already getting the Pro.

So I wanted to make sure it atleast worked consistently as a Movie player. My PS3 worked great for 7 years.

if Scorpio released this year I would've got that for sure.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Spring 2017 is too far, I wish they released it sooner :(

I was ready to order a One S after that announcement until someone told me that the update won't be coming until well into next year.

itsabouttimecb.jpg

Madness

Great news. Xbox One S seems like a no brainer now to use as a media device. Probably will be some nice discounts soon, and you get 4K HDR and UHD support with now Dolby Atmos bitstream. Even if you don't game, nothing comes close in terms of apps, price, capabilities for media.

Because of missing dolby features. Was thinking about a UHD standalone device, but now I can just get the S.

I think what he's wondering is why was the PSPro even on the table when it doesn't support the functionality. You specifically said that settles it, the Xbox One S will be your go to player instead of the PSPro.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This is good news, and should solve some problems for a fair few people.

I still think it's scandalous that the XB1 S didn't launch with a such a standard feature that was supported by the PS3 10 years ago.

ISee

I think what he's wondering is why was the PSPro even on the table when it doesn't support the functionality. You specifically said that settles it, the Xbox One S will be your go to player instead of the PSPro.

Because both were insignificant and therefore irrelevant (as uhd players).

it's exciting to hear that this will work for all xbox one devices and not just the S console. That means anyone who didn't upgrade to the S will still get this support.

(not sure if that matters for the regular console since it will not play UHD blurays but i'm guessing it still may since they decided to announce that.) without doing some research, i would think there is someway to take advantage of that at least through streaming...without using the 4k bluray disc)

but didn't you mentioned "and not the pspro" like it was an option in the first place. Unless you just meant it to be an option for streaming 4k from netflix and other services.
(see i gave you an out)

MrBenchmark

I'm glad they are adding this as I have a atmos setup but I honestly bet most people in here with their setups couldn't tell the difference between a DTSHD track and 7.1 uncompressed PCM.

I have been asking for this in the preview forums since day one.

MrBenchmark

it's exciting to hear that this will work for all xbox one devices and not just the S console. That means anyone who didn't upgrade to the S will still get this support.

(not sure if that matters for the regular console since it will not play UHD blurays but i'm guessing it still may since they decided to announce that.) without doing some research, i would think there is someway to take advantage of that at least through streaming...without using the 4k bluray disc)

You do know that regular BluRay a have these audio tracks right?

I'm glad they are adding this as I have a atmos setup but I honestly bet most people in here with their setups couldn't tell the difference between a DTSHD track and 7.1 uncompressed PCM.

I have been asking for this in the preview forums since day one.

I wish the forums werent going through that upgrade so we would chime in and ask about when it may come to the preview builds :p

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
not sure if that matters for the regular console since it will not play UHD blurays

It's a big deal for the regular XB1 as well, Dolby Atmos is a much bigger upgrade to the Blu-ray format than UHD.

But the PSPro never was a UHD Blu ray player. It shouldn't even have been in consideration. It wasn't before this announcement and it wasn't after this announcement. It was never an option but you state it was an option which doesn't make any sense.

Markitron

Fucking finally. Will this allow bitstream for all formats or JUST Atmos? I need my DTS x fix. Right in my fucking veins.

They are not adding bitstreaming for Atmos as such, they are adding bitstreaming for Dolby True-HD, the Atmos signal is sent from the player as a Dolby True HD bitstream, and the receiver decodes it. I can't imagine it won't support DTS-MA and DTS-X, as DTS is still the standard on most Blu-rays.

Foxix Von

It's not really bitstreaming Atmos in the normal sense, the Atmos signal is sent from the player as a Dolby True HD bitstream, and the receiver decodes it. I can't imagine it won't support DTS-MA and DTS-X, as DTS is still the standard on most Blu-rays.
Yeah I just misread the OP. Sucks that it's so far out but at least it's on the way. I finally got around to updating my receiver after they finally added dtsx support and neural up mixing had been blowing my mind. So much better than the atmos mixing in my system.

Markitron

I finally got around to updating my receiver after they finally added dtsx support and neural up mixing had been blowing my mind. So much better than the atmos mixing in my system.

Abso-fucking-lutely. Neural-X is the bee's knees, I find it far superior to Dolby surround upmix. I watched The Phantom Menace last week, and you could swear it had an Atmos soundtrack, Neural X was so good on it.

It does vary from film to film obviously.

Dave_6

Nice to hear! With me looking at purchasing a 4K display in the coming months, I will definitely be getting a S now after I sell my standard One.

Foxix Von

Abso-fucking-lutely. Neural-X is the bee's knees, I find it far superior to Dolby surround upmix. I watched The Phantom Menace last week, and you could swear it had an Atmos soundtrack, Neural X was so good on it.

It does vary from film to film obviously.
Yeah, it's amazing! I didn't even realize my height speakers were doing anything until the neural update. Also made me realize just how weird atmos up mixing is. It constantly bloats the hell out of the low end and makes my sub sound like it's farting. Neural mixes so far are much more toned back in that regard. I'm still getting the low ends on music but it's articulate and not shitting itself. 😂

ISee

lol
C'mon man. PS4Pro can't play UHD discs. Period.

But the PSPro never was a UHD Blu ray player. It shouldn't even have been in consideration. It wasn't before this announcement and it wasn't after this announcement. It was never an option but you state it was an option which doesn't make any sense.

but didn't you mentioned "and not the pspro" like it was an option in the first place. Unless you just meant it to be an option for streaming 4k from netflix and other services.
(see i gave you an out)

I don't get the problem here.
PSPro was missing a significant feature to be a valid 4k streaming and UHD device.
Xbox was also missing a significant feature and wasn't also a good option to be a good 4k streaming and UHD device. Now finally Microsoft took some time and put everything right and the One S is a very good option now and Sony messed up and underestimated the importance of UHD and is out of the game (for me).

Again, both consoles were bad options before for UHD playback. Now there is the One S. A cheap player with everything I was looking for (Streaming, UHD Blu Ray and the right sound options).

Top Bottom