• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One to support Bitstream passthrough (Atmos) - at last

timmyp53

Is dts hd master audio support confirmed? How does picture quality compare between this and the Samsung 8500?

I was looking to get the Panasonic ub900 . The picture quality is suppose to be amazing on them -crystal clear, superior to the 8500s even.

One S question:I heard the Xbox one had hdmi in and out. Can it be used to output audio only through one port for people without 4k receiver like a Standalone player can?

MrBenchmark

Is dts hd master audio support confirmed? How does picture quality compare between this and the Samsung 8500?

I was looking to get the Panasonic ub900 . The picture quality is suppose to be amazing on them -crystal clear, superior to the 8500s even.

One S question:I heard the Xbox one had hdmi in and out. Can it be used to output audio only through one port for people without 4k receiver like a Standalone player can?
Pass thru is just that. All formats your receiver supports will be used.
The hdmi in is for tv input only and is not 4K. The output of the one S is 4K fully compliant. 4K BluRay s are stunning and will look as good as your tv is capable of.

timmyp53

Pass thru is just that. All formats your receiver supports will be used.
The hdmi in is for tv input only and is not 4K. The output of the one S is 4K fully compliant. 4K BluRay s are stunning and will look as good as your tv is capable of.
Sad to hear about the hdmi in being only used for TV input. They could probably fix that with a patch. A lot of 4k people still haven't updated their receivers yet. I only ask about the picture quality because I heard it was worst then the 8500 and there are high end players on the market and I was considering going for one with the best picture and dual audio hdmi ports.

MrBenchmark

Sad to hear about the hdmi in being only used for TV input. They could probably fix that with a patch. A lot of 4k people still haven't updated their receivers yet. I only ask about the picture quality because I heard it was worst then the 8500 and there are high end players on the market and I was considering going for one with the best picture and dual audio hdmi ports.
I had the 8500 didn't like it was buggy. I've had zero issues with the One S with 4k BluRay but I also have a newest spec receiver. Receiver hold value buy a new one and sell your old one. That's what I did.

My advice don't spend money on a dedicated player yet prices are still stupid.

Yeah, you might as well get a high end udh bluray player instead of the xbox one s. it looks fine to me but you already have a taste of what you really want.

Hawk269

What's the latest OS version that has the bitstream support?

It is currently in the beta/insider program phase. It has worked flawlessly for me so far and I have not heard of much issues, so hopefully it will be rolled out soon. It is *ONLY* for movies though, not for gaming. But again, so far no issues that I have encountered.

It is currently in the beta/insider program phase. It has worked flawlessly for me so far and I have not heard of much issues, so hopefully it will be rolled out soon. It is *ONLY* for movies though, not for gaming. But again, so far no issues that I have encountered.
Not for games as in no system level support for games, or as in the game has to support and currently none do?

But... we didnt touch on this!!! (well that i can remember)

https://majornelson.com/2016/12/14/powerful-dolby-atmos-sound-coming-to-xbox-one-and-windows-10/

Spencer Hooks, Director of Gaming, Dolby Laboratories, talks about how Xbox will be the first game console to feature Dolby Atmos and how bringing Dolby Atmos support to Xbox One and Windows 10 gaming next year will bring you even further inside the action and sound of your favorite titles.

Xbox will be the first game console to feature Dolby Atmos and game developers are excited about using the new capabilities to make their games richer and more engaging. Atmos support for the Blu-ray app on Xbox is already available in Preview and will be released to GA soon – and we’re very excited now to offer Atmos support to games on Xbox One and Windows 10.

You’ll be able to experience Dolby Atmos in your home theater, assuming you have a Dolby Atmos enabled speaker system or soundbar. But you don’t need to have that kind of equipment – it will be possible to enable virtually any pair of headphones with the Dolby Atmos experience.

Mike Ybarra, Xbox’s Head of Platform Engineering, had this to say on our exciting partnership: “At Team Xbox, we are all gamers first, and bringing Dolby Atmos support to Xbox One and Windows 10 gaming next year will bring you even further inside the action and sound of your favorite titles. A big thank you to the team at Dolby for their partnership; we’re excited to share more with the Xbox community next year.”

Dolby Atmos enabled games coming 2017. I didnt think that was going to happen, just the pass through initiative.

More details just announced about this

New spatial audio output settings for developers: To enable more immersive experiences for Xbox One, we have added a number of audio output features in Settings. If you are a developer on Xbox One, the new settings will allow you to add Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, Dolby Atmos for Headphones and Windows HRTF support to your streaming media application or game. For Xbox One owners, hang tight and soon you’ll be able experience even more incredible audio on your console.

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/2017/01/23/xbox-creators-update-preview/#1usOy3O01HP63em8.99

This is Dev side in the first wave for the Insider/Preview members.

dankir

Sick!!!! Which means scorpio will support Dolby Atmos as well. Going to be upgrading my reciever and getting ceiling speakers for a 9.1.2 setup :D

Gonna post this here and the XBOX Preview Program thread.

I am in that Insider Program but have not received an update (I dont think).
Went to watch a blu ray today..didnt work..tried another..didnt work.

I went in a toggled off the "BITSTREAM PASSTHROUGH" option, which is still in beta under the Blu Ray settings and everything works fine.

Is this a known thing?
I have had to toggle it off in the past because I wasnt getting any sound to my speakers.

Top Bottom