• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One to support Bitstream passthrough (Atmos) - at last

amdb00mer

I love these tech conferences. Announcing Dolby ATMOS and affordable VR headsets without complicated setups was nice to see. Something tells me people will have their choice next holiday of which headset they want to use with the Scorpio.

oSoLucky

Great news. I'm waiting to upgrade all of my HT equipment until after CES anyway so the timing doesn't bother me too much. This saved me from having to buy a standalone player. I always hope these small pushes make the other side implement the same features to get as close to parity as possible.

Microsoft has been doing a lot of little things to get me on board lately. This is what I like to see, not the "Kinect years".

sector4

This is so goddamn sweet. Now I can just use an XB1 S and not have to buy an additional 4K BD player. So happy!

watership

Does this mean ill have a better option than the vague "Uncompressed 5.1" when outputting to my receiver. Really dont like seeing 5.1 active on the front of my AVR even when sending 2.0 audio from apps and older concert DVDs.

-EDIT-
So I enabled this. Holy fucking shit what kind of hoops do they make you jump through to turn something on..
I had to go on a QUEST. I even earned Experience Points..fuck is that?

Anyway..it works.
My receiver never knew anything about the audio coming for the Xbox One.
Now it knows Goodfellas is in DTS HD:

IMG_6591.jpg

Hawk269

Does this mean ill have a better option than the vague "Uncompressed 5.1" when outputting to my receiver. Really dont like seeing 5.1 active on the front of my AVR even when sending 2.0 audio from apps and older concert DVDs.

-EDIT-
So I enabled this. Holy fucking shit what kind of hoops do they make you jump through to turn something on..
I had to go on a QUEST. I even earned Experience Points..fuck is that?

Anyway..it works.
My receiver never knew anything about the audio coming for the Xbox One.
Now it knows Goodfellas is in DTS HD:

So in the audio settings in the Xbox One UI, what options are there now and what do you set it at?

Brofield

Dang, I was planning to pick up the S in 2018 because next year my money is going to Switch...but if I can save my pennies and go all out on a 4K set up I'm damn sure getting it next year

So in the audio settings in the Xbox One UI, what options are there now and what do you set it at?

The same options that were there before. UNCOMPRESSED 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1. Bitstream OUT (Dolby Digital, DTS).

You enable it in the INSIDER APP. You have to do something called a Quest. There is a tick box you check to enable Bitstream Passthrough and thats it...its set, I guess.
It doesnt appear anywhere in the regular UI as far as I can tell.

Its under the Disc Settings so i think it is Not working for Games

Yes! this is where it is.
This jives with what they website said about this being strictly for the Blu-Ray app.

-EDIT-
Just threw in a DVD (Speed Racer cartoon) that has 2.0 stereo sound and the receiver is correctly displaying it as 2.0 Dolby Digital.
Fucking finally. For years I have been wondering why my AVR shows 5.1 sound on it's display when playing something that is NOT 5.1.
It's not like the receiver or XBox was UPMIXING the sound to 5.1, it was still only coming out of the FR and FL speakers but the AVR's display seemed confused.

PS3 did this correctly from the get go and even spit out cool stuff like video and audio bitrate if you hit the select button. My PS3 is a little long in the tooth otherwise I would still be using it for discs.

Zuzzissm0

Yes! this is where it is.
This jives with what they website said about this being strictly for the Blu-Ray app.

-EDIT-
Just threw in a DVD (Speed Racer cartoon) that has 2.0 stereo sound and the receiver is correctly displaying it as 2.0 Dolby Digital.
Fucking finally. For years I have been wondering why my AVR shows 5.1 sound on it's display when playing something that is NOT 5.1.
It's not like the receiver or XBox was UPMIXING the sound to 5.1, it was still only coming out of the FR and FL speakers but the AVR's display seemed confused.

PS3 did this correctly from the get go and even spit out cool stuff like video and audio bitrate if you hit the select button. My PS3 is a little long in the tooth otherwise I would still be using it for discs.
The Xbox One shows bitrate too. if i remember correctly you have to press the right stick

Hawk269

Works great!!! I have a 7.2 system and it sounds a lot better!!! No issues at all so far and hopefully this gets released to the general public soon as to any audio person, it does make a big difference to my ears!!!

MrBenchmark

Do you sent your HDMI audio and video through to your AVR then to your TV? Do you game like that? Any sort of lag introduced by your AVR?

Yes it do. No and I am very lag sensitive i can feel the switch from game mode on or off.

I pass everything that is 4K or needs the proper audio thru the AVR. only stuff I have that goes into TV and then out to the AVR is my Wii U Nes classic. Blu-Ray Player PS4 Pro and Xbox One S all pass thru.

Give me DTS-X and I can finally sell my Samsung player..

It might. Idk if anyone tried a dtsx dvd/bluray yet but it just more so pass through than sending an atmos signal.

"
Calling all audio aficionados. Rolling out to Preview this week: Blu-ray Bitstream pass-through including Dolby Atmos support on Xbox One/S"

It's bitstream, so as long as your receiver can decode DTS-X you should be solid.

It's not a huge list, but

American Ultra
The Big Short
Crimson Peak
Daddy's Home
Ex Machina
Ip Man 3
The Last Witch Hunter
Gods of Egypt
Independence Day
London Has Fallen
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Zoolander No. 2

Yep thanks for the list and I forgot about pass through!! Even better :)

MrBenchmark

It's bitstream, so as long as your receiver can decode DTS-X you should be solid.

It's not a huge list, but

American Ultra
The Big Short
Crimson Peak
Daddy's Home
Ex Machina
Ip Man 3
The Last Witch Hunter
Gods of Egypt
Independence Day
London Has Fallen
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Zoolander No. 2

just popped in London has fallen DTS-X pops right up on my receiver.

Evo X

This is amazing news.

Recently bought a Denon X4300H that is Atmos capable. Going to get some more speakers for a 7.1.2 setup soon.

Edit: Damnit, I just installed preview program on my new Xbox One S. How long does it take for the status to go from pending to actually in?

Such a strange feature to not be there at the beginning especially since it's only working within one app. Took them 3 years to finally prioritize that?

Lone Wolf

This is amazing news.

Recently bought a Denon X4300H that is Atmos capable. Going to get some more speakers for a 7.1.2 setup soon.

Edit: Damnit, I just installed preview program on my new Xbox One S. How long does it take for the status to go from pending to actually in?
When I upgraded to an S model, it took 3 days.

Hawk269

This is amazing news.

That is the exact receiver I have and I have the 7.1.2 set up! It is a fantastic receiver and with this update it sounds even better when watching movies.

I was part of preview for the last 2 years and opted out like 6 months ago. I re-applied yesterday night at around 10pm and around 1pm today I was prompted with the update and was back in preview. So for me it was about 14 or so hours between submission and them giving me access to it again.

DirtyLarry

Fuck Yeah is my response to this.
Was still using my PS3 for this very reason, but was finding a lot of newer .mkv's just were not playing, so had to go to my One, but seriously missed the Atmos support of it.
Nice.

pgharavi

Banned
Reading this thread is both confusing and funny. I knew my shit back when it was just 5.1 with DD and DTS. Now I see DTS-MA, DTS X, Dino DNA DTS, Dolby True HD...so on and so forth. ah well, that's why we're nerds :D

As it stands, I'm disappointed I had to lose 5.1 via Linear PCM bcs I jumped on that Samsung KS8000 bandwagon but my receiver doesn't feel like upgrading itself. So I'm back to DD and/or DTS 5.1, like it's the PS2 era!

Evo X

That is the exact receiver I have and I have the 7.1.2 set up! It is a fantastic receiver and with this update it sounds even better when watching movies.

I was part of preview for the last 2 years and opted out like 6 months ago. I re-applied yesterday night at around 10pm and around 1pm today I was prompted with the update and was back in preview. So for me it was about 14 or so hours between submission and them giving me access to it again.

Sounds good. Hopefully it gets downloaded by tomorrow. Btw, what speakers are you running?

I've got a Klipsch Reference system right now. RF82 front towers, RC62 center channel, and RS42 surround. Paired with an SVS PB2000 subwoofer.

I was thinking about buying 2 Klipsch RP-280FA since they are on sale for $1,600 now and have great reviews. That should get me some higher quality front towers with 2 built in Atmos speakers. Then I would move the RF82 to use as surround and use the RS42 as rears. Maybe pick up an additional subwoofer for 7.2.2.

Bloodsent

I have thrown a couple of 4K Blu-Rays in so far that are supposed to have Atmos audio, Star Trek Into Darkness and Pacific Rim, and both only show up on my Denon X2200 as TrueHD. Shouldn't I be seeing Atmos?

Hawk269

Sounds good. Hopefully it gets downloaded by tomorrow. Btw, what speakers are you running?

I've got a Klipsch Reference system right now. RF82 front towers, RC62 center channel, and RS42 surround. Paired with an SVS PB2000 subwoofer.

I was thinking about buying 2 Klipsch RP-280FA since they are on sale for $1,600 now and have great reviews. That should get me some higher quality front towers with 2 built in Atmos speakers. Then I would move the RF82 to use as surround and use the RS42 as rears. Maybe pick up an additional subwoofer for 7.2.2.

Klipsch for my front, subs and center and polks for the rears. I have the reference series for the Klipsch speakers, don't remember the model numbers. They are nice. My front left/right and bookshelf fronts but will be moving to tower fronts when I move and we get our new house.

I have thrown a couple of 4K Blu-Rays in so far that are supposed to have Atmos audio, Star Trek Into Darkness and Pacific Rim, and both only show up on my Denon X2200 as TrueHD. Shouldn't I be seeing Atmos?

Do you have speakers up for Atmos? I think you have to have at a minimum 5.1.2 setup for it to display Atmos.

sector4

For those who have been through a few updates, what's the general time period between going into preview and public release for XB1 updates?

Top Bottom