• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

bubumiao

I'd like to know about the day and night thing too. My dad had eye surgery a few years ago so now his eyes are really sensitive to light. He can't drive at night because the on coming headlights are too bright and bothersome for him. I told him he might have to wear sunglasses to watch the KS8000. I'm hoping there's a way for me to turn down the brightness easily for him.

ViciousDS

Banned
They better not get rid of the one connect box, it's my favorite feature of the Tv. Never have to worry about pulling it away from the wall when disconnecting anything. Absolutely brilliant design

I think they unofficially stopped supporting OneConnect. So there will be no upgrades available for 2016 TVs.
Oh wow that would suck for sure. One of the key benefits of the box was to make your tv for the most part future proof. This tv is a great candidate since it has a native 10 bit panel and a really high nits peak so future hdr implementations should be awesome.

I don't have separate settings for day and night time.

I keep the room with the TV fairly dark during the day with just what is leaking around some heavy curtains for light and my bias lighting is on a timer that comes on at sun down so the overall light level in the room doesn't change much. Hence I have no need of separate settings.

vpance

Oh wow that would suck for sure. One of the key benefits of the box was to make your tv for the most part future proof. This tv is a great candidate since it has a native 10 bit panel and a really high nits peak so future hdr implementations should be awesome.

Well, maybe they'll have a change of heart next year. I have to imagine that they sold a fuck load of KS8000/9000s, enough that demand for a 2.1 Evolution Kit would be pretty significant.

laxu

They better not get rid of the one connect box, it's my favorite feature of the Tv. Never have to worry about pulling it away from the wall when disconnecting anything. Absolutely brilliant design

I love it as well. I think they made it connect via optical cable on the new sets but I still hope they would upgrade it to HDMI 2.1 or at least give a firmware update that adds some things like VRR.

philm87

Sorry to quote myself but does anyone have any tips? :)

The backlight is the only thing that needs to change really. Put night time settings to Movie mode and day time settings to Standard mode. I have mine 10 during the day, 5 at night, but it depends on your room.

Wasif064

Neo Member
Yes, There are going to be brightness fluctuations even if you turn Smart LED off, but the whole panel will dim instead of the affected sections. I have Smart LED on Low because High is more aggressive and therefore noticeable.

Thanks for the reply. Why would there still be backlight fluctuations with Smart LED turned off?

philm87

Thanks for the reply. Why would there still be backlight fluctuations with Smart LED turned off?

Not sure why there'd still be backlight fluctuations with it off.

You should notice less fluctuations if the backlight level is lower, what do you have yours set to? Try turning the contrast down to about 85 too.

Robiin

The backlight is the only thing that needs to change really. Put night time settings to Movie mode and day time settings to Standard mode. I have mine 10 during the day, 5 at night, but it depends on your room.
Thanks! Yeah, figured it was mostly backlight but I was thinking if people had gamma at different levels.

Unrelated, does anyone have an issue with Breath of the Wild? With "correct" settings on the TV, it is super washed out. I would like more contrast but even 100 isn't "enough". It's game specific so probably intended by the developers, but it looks bad to me. If I raise color it gets better but I don't know if I should just live with it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thanks! Yeah, figured it was mostly backlight but I was thinking if people had gamma at different levels.

Unrelated, does anyone have an issue with Breath of the Wild? With "correct" settings on the TV, it is super washed out. I would like more contrast but even 100 isn't "enough". It's game specific so probably intended by the developers, but it looks bad to me. If I raise color it gets better but I don't know if I should just live with it.

I had to change the color space and dynamic contrast for Breath of the Wild to make it more vivid because of how washed out it was.

philm87

I haven't got a switch but there's a few things you can try:

- Try settings the colour space settings to Native.
- Alternatively try setting up custom colour space and white balance settings as per the post on the previous page. They seem to have worked well for me.
- Make sure your brightness setting isn't too high. Shouldn't really be over 45, use the calibration image on the game if it's got one.
- Setting the contrast up high won't necessarily give you more contrast if it's set too high, this just adjusts the white level, but not sure you can really go too high on this TV. Maybe try around 85 and see if it has a positive impact.
- Try the different Dynamic Contrast settings, this should have a big impact, and probably more suited for use on Nintendo games than other content.

Syrus

Banned

The fluctuations are from movie mode. One of the eco settings is always on even if its turned off. From AVS forums

Use standard and turn all eco off

philm87

The fluctuations are from movie mode. One of the eco settings is always on even if its turned off. From AVS forums

Use standard and turn all eco off

Not so sure that's true. I have the European KS9000, which has the next level up for local dimming, and I don't get this issue at all on Movie mode. Maybe a firmware issue?

Not so sure that's true. I have the European KS9000, which has the next level up for local dimming, and I don't get this issue at all on Movie mode. Maybe a firmware issue?

To be sure you dont have it in movie mode I'd suggest loading up "Abstract" with HDR on netflix and skipping to 4:00min into the show. Its the most obvious scene that I can notice it. Not sure if it happens in non HDR content.

philm87

To be sure you dont have it in movie mode I'd suggest loading up "Abstract" with HDR on netflix and skipping to 4:00min into the show. Its the most obvious scene that I can notice it. Not sure if it happens in non HDR content.

Not on Netflix I'm afraid. Robiin's issue was appearing on SDR content. I've had my TV since December so I'd probably have noticed it by now.

Symphonia

Banned
So is it recommended to use the default Color Space settings, such as Auto or Native, rather than customising them using the Rtings settings?

noomi

Anybody else finding backlight at 10 a tad too dark? I'm more comfortable with 12-13.

Depends on the brightness of the room you are in. I used to have a very dark living room, and kept it at 7. Recently moved into a new home that has a much larger family room with many windows, and I had to bump the backlight to 10.

This was discussed several pages back in the thread. Smart LED controls local dimming. If you turn it off, the whole panel will dim in response to what's being displayed onscreen. Let me provide an example. Let's say you are watching a movie and there is a slow panning shot from left to right. The background is mostly dark but there is a bright object in the foreground that comes into frame and then moves across the screen:

Smart LED on: Only the LEDs along the top and bottom of the panel nearest the bright object as it moves across the screen will brighten, the others will not. This should increase contrast as you can have a bright object but still maintain dark blacks in the rest of the screen. This can also introduce side effects as the areas above and below the bright object, as well as close to the sides will also brighten, making the blacks seem gray. These side-effects might be known as "blooming", "haloing", or even "flashlighting" if the top and bottom are really obvious. High or Low settings determine the peak brightness of the bright object on the dark screen. Low reduces the brightness of the object somewhat but also reduces the visibility of the side-effects. I prefer Low for this reason on SDR content. HDR relies on high peak brightness for highlights so use High for HDR.

Smart LED off: All the LEDs in the panel react to the overall brightness of the screen. They are dimmed while only the dark background is visible, and are increased gradually as the bright object comes onscreen. Using some algorithm, the overall brightness is adjusted based on the percentage of the screen that is bright vs. dark. You can avoid the blooming and haloing effects, but in trade all your blacks will trend toward gray as bright objects appear onscreen.

So basically, you are choosing between local dimming and overall panel dimming. AFAIK, the dimming cannot be completely turned off. Whether this is tied to movie mode or not I cannot say, that's the first time I've heard that, but since the experts all seem to recommend movie mode for non-gaming, it's all I've ever used.

There are other reasons the panel might dim: Eco mode, ambient light sensor (these should be turned off, be sure to check these for every mode you use i.e. movie, game, standard, etc.) In HDR mode, the TV will sometimes dim on an all-bright scene if it is held on-screen for more than a couple seconds. While the set can hit a really high peak-brightness, it cannot maintain it for more than a couple seconds, see the HDR Peak Brightness section of the RTINGS review of the KS8000 for examples of this.

philm87

So is it recommended to use the default Color Space settings, such as Auto or Native, rather than customising them using the Rtings settings?

Custom is for detailed calibration, which can vary panel to panel, but worth trying to see if you get good results. I used the settings on the previous page here and I'm pretty happy now.

Auto should be accurate to the input signal, but can sometimes be washed out.

Native tries to enhance the colour, but can sometimes over saturate it.

ngower

I picked up a KS8000 last week but was sorta unimpressed but it's now down to $800 open box at BB. With the firmware continued to update, it's becoming harder to say no. *sweating intensifies*

P.S. what's the Costco price? Can't see it as I'm not a member but would consider joining if it's cheap enough.

I have the UK 8000 and I've noticed that there's an issue with the HDMI black level in that it's set to Auto but for the Switch, setting to Low helps remove the washed out effect.

Heel

This is fantastic news actually. Makes the lack of Dolby Vision that much less of a concern.

While Amazon is a great start as a content partner, it really depends on whether or not it's adopted by other providers. If I'm reading right, the original HDR10 got off the ground with a Samsung and Amazon partnership, so I guess that bodes well for its future.

Also curious how this all ties into HDMI 2.1 having dynamic metadata as a feature itself. Does that just mean it's compatible with format standards that use it, like HDR10+?

Symphonia

Banned
Custom is for detailed calibration, which can vary panel to panel, but worth trying to see if you get good results. I used the settings on the previous page here and I'm pretty happy now.

Auto should be accurate to the input signal, but can sometimes be washed out.

Native tries to enhance the colour, but can sometimes over saturate it.
Well I originally calibrated my panel according to the instructions set out by RT, but I keep seeing comments about not actually following them to the tee.

philm87

Well I originally calibrated my panel according to the instructions set out by RT, but I keep seeing comments about not actually following them to the tee.

It's because each tv can vary slightly, particularly with the colour spacing. To get the colour spacing perfect you need professional calibration.

Lima

You didn't calibrate shit. You copied settings that are specific to that panel. If you don't have any meter you shouldn't touch the white balance or cms at all.

bubumiao

Any tips I should keep in mind while mounting? I am having the 65" installed tomorrow. I got those 45mm screws from Amazon and some rubber gloves.

Belker

Any tips I should keep in mind while mounting? I am having the 65" installed tomorrow. I got those 45mm screws from Amazon and some rubber gloves.

As discussed here and elsehwere, I've read that tightening the screws too much can put pressure on the edges of the panel affecting the picture.

The box is there but there's no indication that they'll release updated ones down the line. I would love for it to continue but I wouldn't hold my breath.

At the moment there aren't any massive changes in technology that would make releasing upgraded box worthwhile.

Would be cool if we got one with hdmi 2.1 once that becomes standard

Not sure if it's been covered, but the new smart view app has a cool touch pad that brings a cursor up on screen. It's great for selecting movies on streaming apps.

I installed the light noodle led strip thingy yesterday.
It's pretty awesome!

Too bad there is no XXXL version to go all the way round a 65" set... :(

Robiin

Does anyone use wireless headphones with their TV? And how do you set them up? I'm currently using my PS4 headset when I watch blu ray, but I want to watch some Netflix when the girlfriend is sleeping. More specific, how would I go about having a soundbar and bluetooth headset connected at the same time, while being able to choose the sound output?
Never really fiddled with headphones for TV sound.

Belker

I use a bluetooth headset with the TV. You can pair more than one with the set. It's in the sound settings, I think.

When its connected and you bring up an app like Netflix on the TV, it will ask if you want to use the headset.

Don't know how to set up a soundbar.

bubumiao

Just got the tv installed today. Haven't adjusted any settings yet except for turning off the logo light at the bottom center of the screen. I wanted to check something out in 4K so I tried amazon video, but when I watch The Man In the High Castle the info in the bottom left says 1080p, so I'm wondering if I need to turn 4K on somewhere?

M_A_C

Just got the tv installed today. Haven't adjusted any settings yet except for turning off the logo light at the bottom center of the screen. I wanted to check something out in 4K so I tried amazon video, but when I watch The Man In the High Castle the info in the bottom left says 1080p, so I'm wondering if I need to turn 4K on somewhere?

For some reason on this tv the amazon 4k stuff is in it's own sections. Like 4K tv shows and 4k movies.

chaosaeon

So for those of us that still haven't updated the firmware past 1155ish, what have they changed in however many updates they've done since then ?

Top Bottom