• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Great question. Plan on getting a second one for the bedroom. Would like to mount.

Is there a specific wall mount that's well suited for this TV (65")? I've never mounted a TV before so I don't know if there are brands to stay away from things like that. Will be in an average bedroom (no bed), with a couch about 6' away. Mainly gonna be used for gaming/movies/Netflix, etc.

This is what I've used.

IMACOMPUTA

Got my tv yesterday.
Watched the horizon zero Dawn opening in hdr on YouTube.
My mouth was literally agape. I can't believe how that game looks.

Fighting the urge to buy a PS4 pro. I might check it out on the base ps4 in hdr and hope it still wows me.

I just inspected my tv after reading about the back panel separation and my top left corner is slightly separated.
:(
Should I return it and get a replacement? I feel like this is gonna be a pain ass. Dammit!

AndersK

Got my tv yesterday.

Fighting the urge to buy a PS4 pro. I might check it out on the base ps4 in hdr and hope it still wows me.

I just inspected my tv after reading about the back panel separation and my top left corner is slightly separated.
Should I return it and get a replacement? I feel like this is gonna be a pain ass. Dammit!

The TV is on its way to become rarer than a Vita at retail, so whatever you do, you should probably be quick about it. If you can ignore it, I'm not aware of it having any I'll effects for the picture, but I get that it's annoying as hell when you spot it.

And Yes, Horizon is bonkers. Went from that to Persona which is quite the difference. The TV does a good job at eliminating jaggies in P5 luckily.

Belker

How long does it last?

Probably 2-3 seconds. I had it happen last night in Gears of War 4 and hadn't seen it for possibly...20 hours or more of real-time gaming. You can make it happen on PS4 by triggering HDR modes on and off in a game, but it's impossible to predict why it happens in Xbox One.

shiba5

Anyone have a problem with a line of stuck pixels? I get 5-7 stuck pixels only when I use my PS4 and it goes away if change the input to something else and then back. It occurs quite a lot though and I'm wondering if I can fix it - or should I just call Samsung?

That is odd. Try a new HDMI cable and see if that fixes it.

So, it appears to be a problem with the port on the TV's input box. I switched my PS4 to a different input and haven't seen the stuck pixels again - so far.

bubumiao

Anyone else have wall mount recommendations? I am afraid to get one that is full motion because I'll be mounting near a door. So it'd worry me too much that someone would put it over just a little too far and then some one would walk in unannounced something like that. What I'd like is a tilt mount that extended a bit more. Only thing I've really found is a Sanus for $130. Only extends a little more than 5" though. Might just get that one.

Talking about this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-p...vs-extends-5-75-black/5463301.p?skuId=5463301

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I expect to be kicked out of this thread, but can I get some advice with best sony bravia 49x700D ps4 pro calibration? I set contrast and motion blur to max lol it looks good, but something tells me I'm doing it wrong.

phen0m24

I expect to be kicked out of this thread, but can I get some advice with best sony bravia 49x700D ps4 pro calibration? I set contrast and motion blur to max lol it looks good, but something tells me I'm doing it wrong.

Have you checked rtings.com or avs forums? Both excellent resources for settings.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x700d/settings

Note: check the first question beneath the settings article. It's about ps4 pro setup with the set. Enjoy.

Micerider

Got my tv yesterday.

I know it won't help you be reasonable but the youtube videos of Horizon, even in HDR, are not providing any justice to the actual game running on a Pro. No games look like it, nothing, even on my gaming PC (not talking about raw power options, just general look).

It is by far the best showcase content I have for this TV.

shiba5

I know it won't help you be reasonable but the youtube videos of Horizon, even in HDR, are not providing any justice to the actual game running on a Pro. No games look like it, nothing, even on my gaming PC (not talking about raw power options, just general look).

I agree. I use Horizon to sell my friends on the Pro. It's astonishing how good it looks on this TV.

IMACOMPUTA

Jesus. It already looked better than anything I've seen by far. This channel has a lot of other good stuff, too.
I recommend anyone that hasn't played horizon and has this tv to check this out ASAP.
https://youtu.be/pZvphjRu8bE

k1t4j

What do you guys have for colour space setting?

Native makes the colours a bit saturated, especially the reds, but auto seems a bit washed out...

Just comparing both on P5 and i'm not sure which one i more accurate ?

laxu

What do you guys have for colour space setting?

Native makes the colours a bit saturated, especially the reds, but auto seems a bit washed out...

Just comparing both on P5 and i'm not sure which one i more accurate ?

Auto works best for me. Native sometimes ends up with crushed blacks and oversaturated colors.

ss_lemonade

Got my tv yesterday.

Horizon is one of those games where I see a gigantic difference between hdr and no hdr. It really is stunning looking with these sets (and I only have a standard PS4!)

philm87

What picture settings do you guys use for Cable/Satellite viewing?

I am using settings pretty close to Rtings.com. Xbox One and PS4 look great when playing games or streaming video. I have FiOS and it just doesn't look to great with the settings I am using. Any tips?

I used to have Directv and the picture quality itself was better than FiOS. So I am aware the quality from FiOS isn't to great. But I feel like it looks a bit washed out when I watch.

I put the colour space settings on native for cable, else most content looks washed out like you say.

TheZink

Hey guys. What is the trick to keeping the screen bright when HDR kicks in? I thought I saw it somewhere in this forum. Thanks.

Hey guys. What is the trick to keeping the screen bright when HDR kicks in? I thought I saw it somewhere in this forum. Thanks.

Are you talking about gaming with HDR? If so, the TV does not automatically adjust the backlight to 20 when in "game mode." So you must manually change the settings.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
A couple questions as my TV is coming in on weds:

- Are all 4 HDMI ports 4k/Full HDR compatible? I have a PS4 pro and Xbox one S.

- Has anyone figured out a trick for the Nintendo Switch auto-switching inputs?

- HDMI switcher anyone recommends?

Dynamic contrast on "high" for everything. It looks so good.

I've also warmed up to "warm1" (no pun intended) and "standard" doesn't look better anymore.

ss_lemonade

A couple questions as my TV is coming in on weds:

- Are all 4 HDMI ports 4k/Full HDR compatible? I have a PS4 pro and Xbox one S.

- Has anyone figured out a trick for the Nintendo Switch auto-switching inputs?

- HDMI switcher anyone recommends?
Afaik, yes all ports are 4k/HDR compatible. As for the Switch issue, I don't think anyone has an answer for that. I haven't run into any issues though, but I have all my stuff plugged to my receiver.

The only trick I know of for separate HDR/non HDR settings and low input lag is to use PC mode, but be aware that color may look a bit off (too saturated for instance).

Just making sure, I've been using the rtings settings in game mode(color settings unchanged, not warm tinted) but due to colorblindness, I have issues adjusting screens by sight. I should set it to hdmi black level medium rather than auto and make sure RGB range full is set on the Switch console right? All I notice between auto and low for hdmi black is a much darker screen, but I want it to be set correctly for friends when Mario Kart comes out.

Darvan

Just making sure, I've been using the rtings settings in game mode(color settings unchanged, not warm tinted) but due to colorblindness, I have issues adjusting screens by sight. I should set it to hdmi black level medium rather than auto and make sure RGB range full is set on the Switch console right? All I notice between auto and low for hdmi black is a much darker screen, but I want it to be set correctly for friends when Mario Kart comes out.

@Ghostshark On the TV HDMI Black Level should be at Normal I don't own a switch yet but if the switch has a setting for RGB level Full set it to that. If you own a PS4 put RGB level to Full hope that helps

Grinchy

Banned
How do you guys feel about using the Disney WOW calibration blu ray for calibrating TVs? Is there a better affordable option these days?

Blizzje

I have the 60" KS7000 and aside from some light bleed I've been quite happy with it over the last few months. Do give your advice on the following though: when I look at the panel from the side (which is not that often), I spot some weird discoloration when viewing certain colors.

When you look directly at the panel, you can't see it. It can only be seen from the right side and in a certain spot. It doesn't look like dust or anything, seems like it's inside the tv.

Like I said: you can only spot it from the side, which is why I've only seen it just yesterday. My warranty is probably invalid by now (got it in october) I guess. Any ideas?

Oh, and I had my wife (I'm a clutz) clean the spot very softly, but it looks like it isn't a stain or whatever. We made a point of not touching the tv EVER because of the horror stories about cleaning.

Darvan

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
I just started playing Horizon on my KS8000, am I missing something? HDR is enabled, I must have the wrong settings because I don't see it. It was more pronounced with FF15, what settings should I have brightness, contrast, and sharpness at? It's in game mode and on standard. What gives?

phen0m24

Yes. Be aware that you have to enable HDMI UHD color on each port you plan on using with 4k HDR.

Found somewhere within the TV's settings?

Are you guys certain? Because at the first link, on rtings it says about turning on that option: "To get sharper text while using the TV as a PC monitor enable HDMI UHD Color."
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings

After I turned that on I got black screen flicker again. I've turned it off and have not seen it since.

Edit: While the above is quoted in the actual settings article, the HDMI UHD Color topic comes up frequently in the Q&A. Not sure why they didn't mention it specifically in the settings piece.

laxu

Are you guys certain? Because at the first link, on rtings it says about turning on that option: "To get sharper text while using the TV as a PC monitor enable HDMI UHD Color."
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings

After I turned that on I got black screen flicker again. I've turned it off and have not seen it since.

Edit: While the above is quoted in the actual settings article, the HDMI UHD Color topic comes up frequently in the Q&A. Not sure why they didn't mention it specifically in the settings piece.

If you get flicker with UHD color on, get better HDMI cables. Essentially the setting enabled 4:4:4 color space support.

philm87

I just started playing Horizon on my KS8000, am I missing something? HDR is enabled, I must have the wrong settings because I don't see it. It was more pronounced with FF15, what settings should I have brightness, contrast, and sharpness at? It's in game mode and on standard. What gives?

Notice it more in certain areas. I find the cauldrons show the best differences in HZD. Try flicking it on and off in areas near bright lights. Machine sparks look better with it on and so does things like sunlight. If you have your PS4 set to YUV420 you won't get 10-bit colour, needs to be set to Auto or RGB (which then automatically changes to YUV 422 for HDR content). Admittedly though the HDR doesn't always stand out as much as with other games, maybe cos it looks pretty awesome anyway.

These are the settings I have:

Game mode
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 0
Gamma 0
Colour 55
Dynamic Contrast Off
UHD Colour Enabled
Colour Tone Warm 1

Blizzje

Yuv 420 is more than capable of 10 bit color. You will absolutely get the expanded color gamut. There is no difference on my set between yuv 420 and yuv 422.

philm87

Yuv 420 is more than capable of 10 bit color. You will absolutely get the expanded color gamut. There is no difference on my set between yuv 420 and yuv 422.

Usually is, but I was told on the Pro that it limits the YUV420 output to 8-bit. Could have been misinformed.

phen0m24

If you get flicker with UHD color on, get better HDMI cables. Essentially the setting enabled 4:4:4 color space support.

Laxu I switched to port 4, used a different cable.

After an hour with Second Son and about the same with Horizon and MEA no flicker since.

And I turned the option on on port 4.

So. Crazy.

Grinchy

Banned
The Disney WOW disc is a great way to calibrate your TV it doesn't beat the hardware calibration but it's a great alternate and doesn't cost as much. There's also a free disc burning setup disc for calibrating http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

Ok, nice. I've been using the WOW bluray for a couple years now. I've trusted it a lot, so I'd hate to find out that there was something better (outside of professional calibration). This TV currently looks amazing to me for SDR and HDR content, at least.

Top Bottom