• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump is the first Republican Candidate to openly exploit the LGBTQ community

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/2/donald-trump-holds-high-flag-gay-equality/

ANALYSIS/OPINION:

Republican Presidential nominee Donald J. Trump made history Sunday and the political media barely noticed. Or maybe they did see it - but since it didn’t fit the narrative of what a Republican is supposed to look like they decided to ignore it.

On Sunday, at a rally in Colorado, Mr. Trump proudly held up a rainbow flag with the words “LGBT for Trump” written on it to a cheering crowd of thousands. It was an historic moment for gay equality and the Party of Lincoln as the 2016 GOP nominee for President of the United States held high the flag for gay equality. No other Republican Presidential nominee in history has embraced the LGBT community in such a loud and proud way.

And yet, the moment was barely reported by the media despite the fact it happened in front of the traveling press corps accompanying Mr. Trump. Political reporters, not unsurprising, largely failed to write on the moment where a Republican challenged their negative media stereotype.

But the moment was nevertheless historic. Trump walked on stage in Greeley, Colorado to a large cheering crowd when he spotted a rainbow flag in the audience. As the music blasted through the speakers, Mr. Trump pointed to a supporter as if to ask if he could see his flag and then motioned for a campaign worker to help retrieve the LGBT symbol of equality from the attendee.

Within seconds, Mr. Trump was walking around the platform with the rainbow flag in his hands and moments later unfurled it in full display. You could see a huge smile on Mr. Trump’s face as he walked to both sides of the stage to proudly hold up the rainbow flag announcing support from the gay and lesbian community.

More at the link.

I've never been a Trump supporter at any point, but he's our president now, and that's that. That being said, the fact that a Republican president is now showing support for the LGBTQ community is huge, no? Possibly meaningless, I mean hey, Mike Pence is his running-mate. Frankly I don't know how seriously I'm willing to take this, but the fact still stands: No Republican candidate has shown support for their group like this. Whether he acts on it or it's all talk is yet to be seen. I hope so, but perhaps my optimism should be curbed.

Jawmuncher

Definitely a case where he's gonna have to prove this with more than just talk.
I mean he is ranked above pence, but it does make it odd for him to have a pro stance. With him as his running mate.
But then again Trump hasn't been doing anything by the book or norm at this point. So if anyone would be pro LGBT and have a VP that isn't it would be trump.
For whatever reason.

Sophia

I mean, it's a step in the right direction. But lets see how him, his vice president, and his Republican controlled Congress/Supreme Court play out before we pat him on the back for it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He pays empty lip service to all minority groups. He chose Mike Pence as his VP, and his constituency isn't exactly fond of inclusion.

It depends on how much Trump actually listens to Pence; from what I understand, Trump doesn't let other people sway his convictions. He and Pence weren't even speaking with each other by the end of the race. I don't think Pence will actually have much sway.

norm9

I don't think Trump could recognize Pence in a room full of people. I'd like to believe Trump will be an ally of the LGBTQIA community.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
I hope Trump defends LGBTQ like he promised during the convention. He was talking about Islamic terrorists, but there's other, closer threats. From a Hoosier glad to at least be rid of Pence, don't let him get his way Trump :(

Goodstyle

Trump has taken every side on every issue besides climate change. Yes, even immigration. His word means nothing because he lies about everything. We will know where he stands based on his actions.

this is looking through a huge pile of shit for gold and finding a tiny little speck but then remembering about pence and realizing you're hold a tiny piece of corn

Futureman

He said in one of the debates that he wants to rescind Roe v Wade and make it an issue decided by the states.

Are we not to believe he intends to do the same with gay marriage?

I'm not sure Trump and Pence even talk to each other. Pence feels like some dude he picked because someone told him to and he didn't give a shit enough to argue

Jobbs

Banned
His running mate said he wouldn't eat at a restaurant that has served a gay person

TBH though I don't actually believe Trump really believes in anything other than Trump

i-Lo

Do you folks realize just how MUCH bullshit he's uttered and claimed during his campaign? So pray tell, who would in their right mind believe ANYTHING he has to "say" now?

ChtuyP0VEAQZlY1.jpg

Donald Trump is full of empty gestures.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oh for fuck's sake, have people still not grasped that Trump's ENTIRE PERSONALITY is based around saying whatever the person he's looking at wants to hear? He cannot be trusted to be sincere about anything he says he supports until he actually performs a physical action to confirm it in the material world.

The GOP stuck Pence with him for a reason. Pence is the real politician. And guess what? They made sure to choose a person that the GOP's social conservative, religious base would squeal for. A culture warrior who, among other things, thinks gay people are just deviants to need to be prayed over while being physically tortured until they repent.

Now that man is the no. 2 person in the Oval Office.

He's gotta show the receipts. I'm not American, but he hasn't really said many truthful things in his life lol. So I won't believe it until I see action to back it up.

Also, he better keep Pence in check IF he's telling the truth about being Pro-LGBTQ

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Trump has taken every side on every issue besides climate change. Yes, even immigration. His word means nothing because he lies about everything. We will know where he stands based on his actions.

This is incorrect, he has been surprisngly consistent about the LGBT community from the start, unless I missed a tweet or PR or something.

Sorry, but you don't get to select a raging homophobe like Mike Pence as your running mate, and the 2nd most powerful person in the country, and still claim to support the LGBTQ community. Actions speak volumes.

Pence.

Pence.

PENCE.

That's where it stops.

Trump is so comparatively progressive because his "Whatever who cares" attitude towards LGBTQ issues was still significantly further along than someone like Ted Cruz.

Pence being his VP renders that completely moot, and then some.

Doodis

This in no way, shape or form shows that he supports the LGBT community. He waved a flag. That could mean anything. It could mean he thought, "Look, even these people I can't stand like me."

Of course Trump supports the gays. He has the best gays. Hillary hates the gays. Trump Gays(tm) are winners.

If anyone believes for a millisecond that Trump truly supports LGBTQ rights - have I got a wall he wants you to build. The next four years are going to dispel a lot of misconceptions about what Trump actually believes, vs what Trump says Trump believes.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I want to believe that. I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt though.

We'll see what happens in 2017 ans beyond.

Pence bridged the gap between Trump and evangelicals. It also gave Trump inroads with members of Congress. Pence was the politician that Trump wasn't. It was the only choice for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom