• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump is the first Republican Candidate to openly exploit the LGBTQ community

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbon

lol are you serious:

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/09/donald-trump-pledges-sign-anti-lgbtq-first-amendment-defense-act/

Trump has pledged to sign the First Amendment Defense Act (FADA), if passed by congress. It was first introduced in the House on June 17, 2015 and would effectively legalize anti-LGBTQ discrimination across the board, including among employers, businesses, landlords and healthcare providers, as long as they claim to be motivated by a firmly held religious beliefs.

rambis

Banned
Sorry, but you don't get to select a raging homophobe like Mike Pence as your running mate, and the 2nd most powerful person in the country, and still claim to support the LGBTQ community. Actions speak volumes.
This would imply that Trump was informed on an issue. Which, just lol.

Dude is the king of empty gestures.

But empty gestures are all people need to vote one way or another some times. And I'm willing to bet he did this gesture while addressing a crowd majority white conservative evangelicals.

It's a gesture to make them feel like they're not homophobic, not to show solidarity with LGBT+ community. I'm willing to bet you $800 that if you go on Reddit or any other social network and say you're scared how Trump will treat LGBT this moment will be summoned like a Pokemon and they'll tell you how this is better than anything Killery will do for the community.

How can I say this with certainty? Because if Trump really was for LGBT+ community he wouldn't have picked Mike fucking Pence as his running mate nor would he have stated on numerous occasions that he would overturn same sex marriage and that it was a "yuuge mistake".

ChtuyP0VEAQZlY1.jpg

Donald Trump is full of empty gestures.

Was looking for this.

megalowho

I do believe Trump has no problems with "the gays" and doesn't really give a shit about Mike Pence. Those are both good things.

Demoskinos

This whole Trump saying one thing Pence "correcting" his statements is the most bizarre thing ever. Even during the debates I think it was the Allepo question Trump basically said he didn't agree with what his running mate said about the same thing

Fox Mulder

Gee, great I guess.

At best he somehow keeps a lid on the widespread homophobia in his party and VP that supports gay conversion therapy.

The alternative is the republicans have free reign and no obstructions on all their wet dreams.

lmao as said already Pence on several occasions promised that a Trump presidency would result in a new ruling on gay marriage or a constitutional amendment. The amendment will obviously not happen. Him giving horseshit homage to the LGBTQ community so that the likes of Peter Thiel can peddle his bullshit while the actual conservatives work to restrict their newly gotten civil rights is not real LGBTQ support.

Can't wait to see what Thiel's excuse is if Trump is able to nominate more than 1 supreme court justice which inevitable will lead to challenges to the gay marriage ruling.

Offensive op-ed that ignores the facts, or acknowledges them without actually absorbing them. I mean this:

says it all. He held up a fucking flag. That's a step forward? That's progress?

I think it's more of a step forward for the country as a whole, maybe. Again, it's very close the nothing, but it's never happened before from a Republican. It's probably BS, but we'll see

The only support I've seen him lend to the LGBT community beyond minor lip service is by virtue of him saying Muslims are evil, because they kill gay people. And he wants to nominate justices who will overturn the gay marriage decision. So "openly support" seems a bit generous.

could just be a sense of deja vu but i feel like i saw that image months ago attributed to something else.

could be real, could be fake.

Jonm1010

Banned
Trump is a moron. In terms of policy and governing, he's even more ignorant.

He has cozied up to the establishment(or at least people with establishment agendas) and Republican thinkers, what he said off the cuff in a couple of speeches - much like his off message healthcare comments - mean fuck all when he is in all likelihood going to nominate extreme conservative judges that could very well overturn Obergefell v Hodges.

This is incorrect, he has been surprisngly consistent about the LGBT community from the start, unless I missed a tweet or PR or something.

If by surprisingly consistent you mean reassuring them that he stands with them while having his running mate be one of the biggest homophobes to hold elected office and Trump himself poised to sign bills that put forth discrimination against them while nominating supreme court justices that will uphold those laws and also accept repealing gay marriage then sure

he's been consistent

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Who knows what he is going to do. He is the ultimate wild card. Yet everyone reads a few random things on the internet and already knows his schedule for his first year in office.

Who knows what he is going to do. He is the ultimate wild card. Yet everyone reads a few random things on the internet and already knows his schedule for his first year in office.

He's no wildcard: everyone knows exactly what he'll do. The same thing he's always done, and built a career and cult of personality on: do or say whatever is needed to make himself appear as "best" in alignment with his interests, to whomever he talks to. His political platform and partners aren't a mystery, it's right there for anyone to see. Except if you're willfully ignorant, or the type who can afford to be blasé faire about it because it doesn't personally affect you.

If you think Trump is pro-LGBTQ, that's great. But not while Pence is calling the legislative shots.

But checking your post history, you're going into any Trump related threads and basically telling anyone who's worried to sit down and shut up, so... yeah. I can smell you.

Syriel

I've never been a Trump supporter at any point, but he's our president now, and that's that. That being said, the fact that a Republican president is now showing support for the LGBTQ community is huge, no? Possibly meaningless, I mean hey, Mike Pence is his running-mate. Frankly I don't know how seriously I'm willing to take this, but the fact still stands: No Republican candidate has shown support for their group like this. Whether he acts on it or it's all talk is yet to be seen. I hope so, but perhaps my optimism should be curbed.

There is Pence.

There there is this:
http://www.joemygod.com/2016/11/09/...rump-inevitable-reversal-sex-marriage-ruling/

I don't think you can say the Trump administration is going to be pro LGBQT.

Zubz

Banned
He's basically a sleeve the Republican Party used to sneak Pence in with. It doesn't matter who he claims to support so long as Pence still thinks you can electrocute children for Jesus or whatever.

RPGCrazied

Don't buy it. He is the same person that said he would appoint judges to overturn same sex marriage. And his fucking VP with his vile anti gay laws.

"Look at my Gay over here!"

He didn't grab that flag to show that he supports LGBT, he used it to show that they support him.

RedHill

Banned
His Vice President that he chose supports gay conversion therapy. This article is going to be cited to silence gay people who are concerned lmfao. Never a fucking break.

It depends on how much Trump actually listens to Pence; from what I understand, Trump doesn't let other people sway his convictions. He and Pence weren't even speaking with each other by the end of the race. I don't think Pence will actually have much sway.

Does Trump have any real convictions?

BajiBoxer

Banned
I do believe Trump has no problems with "the gays" and doesn't really give a shit about Mike Pence. Those are both good things.

I don't know what stances he has taken on the issue before pandering to the right. Maybe you're right. On the other hand though, there's not a group or individual he wouldn't throw under the bus for personal gain or petty revenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom