• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Producer - Studio Considering Porting to XB1 After PS4/PC Release

Right... I hope both games do well for them but I'm going to temper my expectations for high sales for either game.

Well, since Nier Automata is releasing in what is quite possibly the most crowded area schedule for Japanese games in years, very doubtful. They couldn't be releasing it in a worse time to be honest. So yeah, it's going to bomb, I think, at least we got one more Nier game anyway.

Ubernube

Well, since Nier Automata is releasing in what is quite possibly the most crowded area schedule for Japanese games in years, very doubtful. They couldn't be releasing it in a worse time to be honest. So yeah, it's going to bomb, I think, at least we got one more Nier game anyway.

Given how Square seems to be making a big deal about the game being an open world rpg, I suspect they're banking on people other than just those who play JRPGs becoming interested in the title. That might be how it becomes a bit successful. It also has a demo planned, which I imagine they're hoping will advertise the game to that audience.

There's also the fact it's one of the only Japanese games that month that even has a PC version, so it has that entire ecosystem to itself. That'll help.

Castef

Banned
How to do it:
Step 1: Release Nier as BC
Step 2: Announce the Nier:Automata XB1 port
Step 3: give away the original Nier through Games with Gold
Step 4: Enjoy the show

Err... nope.

If people tries the first Nier they won't probably buy the second one. :)

I still wish they would release a remastered version of the original NieR and maybe have both Gestalt and Replicant in it. I'd be super nice.

On topic it would need to sell a lot in order for Square Enix to even start fiddling around with an Xbox port. Hopefully it happens though for the Xbox gamers.

Given how Square seems to be making a big deal about the game being an open world rpg, I suspect they're banking on people other than just those who play JRPGs becoming interested in the title. That might be how it becomes a bit successful. It also has a demo planned, which I imagine they're hoping will advertise the game to that audience.

There's also the fact it's one of the only Japanese games that month that even has a PC version, so it has that entire ecosystem to itself. That'll help.

Actually, Jan-Feb is pretty crowded in term of Japanese games on PC too. Tekken 7, Tales of Berseria, Disgaea 2, Resident Evil 7 and many more I may be forgetting :p

No. You need to look at the Jan/Feb schedule again, it's packed.

Is there even an English release date yet? So far the Feb date is only for Japan and PS4 right? PC when?!

Seems worrying since the initial announcement was pushing for a worldwide release date but it's all been Japan focused. Hope they haven't changed their plan but it might be a few months after the intial release. Is Japan getting a PC release or it might be another dark souls scenario.

Looks like NieR wasn't made available via GoD on 360. Hopefully that would change if the game got back-compat support on XB1.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/NIER/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802535107e8?nosplash=1

Looking at that page I completely forgot that NieR had DLC. Wonder if it was worth a look?

Just costumes, weapons and a gallery of enemies to fight. You get to play as the other Nier in it so there's that.
You should google the contents because it's not anything spoilerish so you can make a informed purchase at the least.

It's pretty clear that with the lukewarm reception of the slim and the pro[/B], and with the great sales the XB1 S has been having on the biggest markets, publishers are starting to think twice.

I still say this is jumping the gun and nowhere near proven. PS4 is still dominating worldwide until we get some type of sale impressions the Pro November that is just guesswork. Furthermore this increase Xbox One sales seems to be having zero impact on sales for Japanese games

Amazon Top 100
#7 Final Fantasy XV PS4
#18 Final Fantasy XX Deluxe Edition PS4

#110 Final Fantasy XV Xbox One
#217 Final Fantasy XV Deluxe Edition Xbox One

Those number are very damning and before any one says this is just Amazon people on here that work for big physical retailers have painted a similar picture. Japanese games are just not selling on Xbox One and few more console sales recently is not making a difference in the U.S. and definitely not any where else....

lupinko

I still say this is jumping the gun and nowhere near proven. PS4 is still dominating worldwide until we get some type of sale impressions the Pro November that is just guesswork. Furthermore this increase Xbox One sales seems to be having zero impact on sales for Japanese games

Amazon Top 100
#7 Final Fantasy XV PS4

Those number are very damning and before any says this is just Amazon people on here that work for big physical retailers have painted a similar picture. Japanese games are just not selling on Xbox and few more console sales recently is not making a difference in the U.S. and definitely not any where else....

You think that's damning? In retail Xbone is practically nonexistent.

I actually sorta want a Xbone S because almost all my games but one (Radiant Silvergun HD) is BC. Also it's a UHD BD player.

Sony really dropped the ball with the pro not having that feature but it's understandable why they didn't put it in.

You think that's damning? In retail Xbone is practically nonexistent.

I actually sorta want a Xbone S because almost all my games but one (Radiant Silvergun HD) is BC. Also it's a UHD BD player.

Sony really dropped the ball with the pro not having that feature but it's understandable why they didn't put it in.

Damning as far as the potential for successful Japanese game support, not the console. Also I have seen no evidence of the Xbox One One being non-existent retail. Do we even have numbers for the last few months other than it sold the most? It isn't selling THAT well. Furthermore just because people are buying more Xbox One consoles for the UHD player does not mean they are going to buy more Japanese games. When you look the splits for a game like FFXV vs stuff like Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1 or Watch Dogs 2 it just shows the extreme lack of interest from the user base. And this is just in the U.S. It MUCH worse elsewhere. I won't claim to know how how much a game needs to sell to be worth a port, but I can see why it wouldn't be priority.

N30RYU

So if it sells well on PC/PS4 will be ported on XBO? or if it sells bad??

I wanna know just so if I can buy it day one or wait a year to buy it.

Caayn

Amazon Top 100
#7 Final Fantasy XV PS4

Those number are very damning and before any says this is just Amazon people on here that work for big physical retailers have painted a similar picture. Japanese games are just not selling on Xbox and few more console sales recently is not making a difference in the U.S. and definitely not any where else....
I have no doubt that FF XV will sell more on PS4 than on XB1. I think that we can safely say that Amazon numbers don't carry much weight after the last few sales threads.

I have no doubt that FF XV will sell more on PS4 than on XB1. I think that we can safely say that Amazon numbers don't carry much weight after the last few sales threads.

We have had at least one person one here that works retail state that FFXV preorders on PS4 are outpacing Xbox One 7:1 or better in their stores. I thought I clarified that in the original statement.

I didn't even realize that Nier was coming to PC.

That's one reason to not considering rebuying a PS4 via a pro.

It's a bit surprising that so many people missed this announcement from TGS. I guess it wasn't a big of a deal as I thought.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't think it will sell well on the Xbox 1. They should save their money.

I'd suspect a lot is going to hinge on how well Scalebound does. Because if that title tanks, its going to be a giant red-flag to Japanese developers that Xbox as a platform is so heavily skewed towards western-style product its barely worth exploring.

I've been thinking about this for a long time; particularly what the relative performance of Nier and Scalebound is going to say to Platinum. Because it seems to me one of these games on paper should do massively better than the other, simply based on the sort of budget, dev-time, and marketing push advantage.

If it doesn't though, and my feeling is that in spite of everything Nier is going do the better of the two despite its disadvantages -especially in Japan-, you have to consider it a message to the Japanese industry as a whole as to where they should be heading.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If its a critical failure, they'll pretty much have to port it everywhere they can. PS4 PC, Switch, XB1..

Fisty

Err... nope.

If people tries the first Nier they won't probably buy the second one. :)

Hahaha Yeah I saw that on the first page an was like "yeah no"

People would be so put off by the first game they wouldn't even consider the second. There's so much ugly and tedium to plow through to get to the beautiful nougat center of the game, they would be actively harming their own sales.

Fisty

Looks like NieR wasn't made available via GoD on 360. Hopefully that would change if the game got back-compat support on XB1.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/NIER/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802535107e8?nosplash=1

Looking at that page I completely forgot that NieR had DLC. Wonder if it was worth a look?

It's great when it comes time to farm for money and rare items, but it is literally 3 doors, and each one has like 5 challenge rooms in it. Plot is nonexistent, except maybe the fact that it stars Nier's
Wife/Mom

Top Bottom