• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vicarious Visions officially working on Destiny

Zukkoyaki

I know Destiny 2 is going to be a juggernaut and is no-doubt a project of insane scale but that many people on one project blows my mind. I feel like at some point too many people could actually hinder development with directions being passed through a bloated hierarchy and project leads having less hands-on time with the staff.

Destiny 2 = Day 1

sense

I hope it's worth it, cause Destiny 1 sure wasn't. I'd rather have all this talent working on smaller projects.

nonsense. destiny has a huge fanbase and it made them a lot of money. i hope they come out swinging with destiny 2. can't wait!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
800 people at Bungie and we get some of the most barebones single player campaigns ever. It's beyond crazy.

I bet all they do is browse gaf and watch youtube all day. Not projecting at all.

ElRenoRaven

I know Destiny 2 is going to be a juggernaut and is no-doubt a project of insane scale but that many people on one project blows my mind. I feel like at some point too many people could actually hinder development with directions being passed through a bloated hierarchy and project leads having less hands-on time with the staff.

Same here. Bungie already had problems with Destiny and their ballooning studio while developing it. Now you have them and the 2 other studios they'll have to manage. That's some serious bloat.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I used to work right down the street from these guys in Albany, NY. I never even realized they were there until I drove past the large building the're and saw their name on the outside. Cool and good for them.

Jb

I wonder if Acti will make a bigger push for Destiny 2 to compensate CoD''s declining sales. Between that and Skylanders facing cancellation, Destiny 2 may have a lot more riding on its success than the original game.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
All I care about is good raids and good guns, and strikes and longevity and story, and gear, and future content. Yeah I think a bigger team might be necessary.D2 better be the game of forever. I'm counting on you Luke smith. Post in this thread if you're alive lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if Acti will make a bigger push for Destiny 2 to compensate CoD''s declining sales. Between that and Skylanders facing cancellation, Destiny 2 may have a lot more riding on its success than the original game.

I'm expecting them to be pushing for 20-30+ million copies. The Activision part of Activision Blizzard King is in a pretty dire state in terms of growth potential, so they really need a homerun.

Tecnniqe

Banned
JL709.gif

Des2ny will be glorious on my rig for sure!

gdt

I'm expecting them to be pushing for 20-30+ million copies. The Activision part of Activision Blizzard King is in a pretty dire state in terms of growth potential, so they really need a homerun.

PC version incoming!

nOoblet16

Man Destiny 2 will be amazing if they manage to make a large seamless worlds/quests with lots of social features and also more than one raid a year.

For people like me who are already in love with Destiny it'd be absolutely amazing.

Who's working on it? ITS HIIIIGH MOON
It'd High Moon somewhere in the world

Kasper

I was hoping VV would split their time between the Crash remakemasterwhatever and a new entry to follow up with. This doesn't bode well for the level of care Activision will be investing into the revitalization of the brand.

Kill3r7

800 people at Bungie and we get some of the most barebones single player campaigns ever. It's beyond crazy.

I bet all they do is browse gaf and watch youtube all day. Not projecting at all.

Truthfully, I don't give a shit about the SP campaign and I would think most players who love Destiny feel the same way. I would much rather have them spend the extra manpower to deliver more compelling late game content like additional Raids.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PC version incoming!

IIRC I think one of the rumors involved Vicarious being on that version, but I can't remember exactly.

I should probably note about half of this staff was added after the first game came out.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's a pretty accurate feeling; google The Mythical Man Month.

AAA development is... something.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1000+ people working on one video game, its crazy when you think about it.

Time for some bad with numbers out of my ass.

1000 People
3 Years of Development Time
$75k average Salary For Programmers, Artists, Gameplay Designers etc.

1,000 x $75,000 = $75 million budget per year
For 3 years = $225 million total.

Now granted they had some of the crew working on DLC for the last two years, and these other two studios only joined a year or so ago, it's still well over a $100 million budget. Insane.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Holy fuck so Destiny 2 likely has a 1000 person development team or close to it?

Game is probably gonna be enormous
"More than" would be the more appropriate term. We're not even listing all the contractors they presumably outsource art assets to and etc.

I imagine a lot of them will be working on pipeline content as well. Like I could see the game having notable monthly updates to keep engagement up.

EhoaVash

Hmm vicarious vision usually does the Nintendo versions of a lot of games maybe they're doing the switch port of Destiny lulz

Oynox

1000 People

Now granted they had some of the crew working on DLC for the last two years, and these other two studios only joined a year or so ago, it's still well over a $100 million budget. Insane.

Just wanted to do the same. Incredible. + add some hundreds of millions for marketing.

Ridley327

How many people are working on the Crash remasters, then? I thought those were a pretty big deal...

I think that's always been a smaller team inside of VV. They're a big enough studio to be able to do that.

I guess this is our first semi-official confirmation that Skylanders' days are numbered.

Ooccoo

Holy fuck so Destiny 2 likely has a 1000 person development team or close to it?

Game is probably gonna be enormous

More people does not mean a bigger game.

Look at the first Destiny. It was a very shallow game until the expansion packs, the devs lied about features ('member being able to go everywhere at E3?), etc. I wouldn't be surprised if half of that workforce is just for art.

Destiny 2 gonna be some fire

This. The first one is already game of the generation and it was held down by being built to fit into the prehistoric amount of RAM in an Xbox 360, major problems with the development environment and being made in an era when execs thought they had to push "mobile engagement" (bye bye lore). The next one is going to be huge as long as they get the weapon balance right.

Tecnniqe

Banned

1000 People

destiny-money.gif

'Micro'-transaction dances must really be paying off :D

Top Bottom