• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR now supports Steam VR

RoyalFool

Banned
Some clever sod has made a working PSVR driver for Windows, with a Steam VR layer.

http://trinusvr.com/psvr/

Been having a play with it this morning and whilst it's still very early, so is a bit short on configuration options, it works surprisingly well once setup.

You need to connect the break-out box and require a USB3.0 port, and it obviously doesn't work with any games requiring the Vive motion controllers. But it does support full (rotational) head-tracking and plays nicely with the PS4 controller supported Valve just added too.

Edit: Youtube tutorial on how to set it up

Zafir

Pretty cool. Makes me slightly more interested in getting one. I think I'm still gunna wait before I take the plunge, maybe when the technology is a bit more advance, I have a better PC to power it and there's more software for it around.

DieH@rd

Banned
Very nice. Hopefully this will not anger Sony, and prompt them to accelerate plans for official PC support.

Elandyll

Banned
Very nice. Hopefully this will not anger Sony, and prompt them to accelerate plans for official PC support.
Aye.
That would go a long way in reassuring 3rd party devs that they can easily develop for PSVR/ VR in general and count on a larger install base imo.

jediyoshi

I imagine it falls under their DS4 on PC stance of 🤷

Would be interesting to see when Valve opens up lighthouse tech more if people could start modifying other headsets with sensors to take advantage of lighthouse tracking instead.

RoyalFool

Banned

It sounds like they didn't go out of their way to make it difficult to create a driver for, which probably ties in with the rumor that they are making a hefty profit on each headset already.

I'm sure they would rather people buy it for PSVR until the stock levels increase (e.g. so they get a cut of the subsequent game sales) but long term, once the availability picks up - I expect they'll come out an release an official driver, or at least be OK with hobbyists doing it for them.

Necro900

How does it track the headset without a camera? Just motion sensors?

Anyhow, I don't think this will anger anyone at sony. I recall reading they wanted to implement PC compatibility (very) down the line.

Hasney

Yes, all that 60>120hz reprojection stuff, that was done in the game engines themselves. Games directly have to support it, and Sony mandates that from all of their VR games.

The actual headset itself supports higher refresh rates natively too, so they can get it working.

Zalusithix

Yes. In terms of tracking it's currently like a Rift DK1.

Yeah, no Move support, no positional tracking. To say it supports SteamVR is one of those technically correct, but misleading statements. You're not going to be playing 99% of Vive games with this, and even pre-touch Oculus games will be stripped down in functionality. Nothing stopping the required functionality from appearing in the future, but right now this is basically a mobile VR <-> OpenVR link using the PSVR instead of a phone..

Mendrox

Yeah, no Move support, no positional tracking. To say it supports SteamVR is one of those technically correct, but misleading statements. You're not going to be playing 99% of Vive games with this, and even pre-touch Oculus games will be stripped down in functionality. Nothing stopping the required functionality from appearing in the future, but right now this is basically a mobile VR <-> OpenVR link using the PSVR instead of a phone..

Well, but now you can easily watch 3D SBS 360 videos with that and also play the games that don't require as much, which is a good start. :) Better than nothing at all.

Edit: Also move support and camera tracking is getting worked on

Zalusithix

Well, but now you can easily watch 3D SBS 360 videos with that and also play the games that don't require as much, which is a good start. :) Better than nothing at all.

Edit: Also move support and camera tracking is getting worked on

The fact that you'd need this sort of work around to watch 3D SBS videos in the first place is a stupid deficiency in Sony's VR support. =P

Blam

Fuck ye boi that's hella dope. Now someone needs to get those move controllers working.

Cool! Trinus also has an application that allows you to use your phone VR headset, ala Google Cardboard or equivalent, with your computer, which was a cool and cheap way to experiment with VR on my laptop.

Wollan

Sony should just release some base drivers for PC ala DualShock 4. Then the community could handle the rest and connect up SteamVR etc.

This is super nifty, but it doesn't begin to replace a Rift or Vive without positional tracking. It's basically just a Rift DK1 with a higher resolution screen and pretty fantastic ergonomics.

It'd be neat if someone could give it a DK1 wrapper so that I can play a bunch of the old Rift DK1 demos people made but never updated.

Sony should just release some base drivers for PC ala DualShock 4. Then the community could handle the rest and connect up SteamVR etc.
Sony didn't release DualShock 4 drivers, it's a generic input device. Steam is able to recognize it and has an overlay now.

MDSLKTR

Great job community. I was going to sell my psvr after re7 but might as well keep it until vive 2/3 comes out. All I need is the ability to play dirt rally and elite.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh man I am so ready for PSVR to replace my VIVE headset. The VIVE is just so damn uncomfortable compared to PSVR.

Baby steps but this is extremely encouraging. Though I wonder later on down the road how they could do headset positioning using the Lighthouses when the PSVR only uses lights? Probably a different camera method? Hmmm.

DieH@rd

Banned
Baby steps but this is extremely encouraging. Though I wonder later on down the road how they could do headset positioning using the Lighthouses when the PSVR only uses lights? Probably a different camera method? Hmmm.

Technical impossibility.They use two totally different approaches.

PSVR has visible lights on its helmet, which is picked up by a single PS4 camera.

VIVE emits invisible IR lights from two lighthouses, and those lights are picked up by IR sensors on Vive helmet.

Zalusithix

Can anyone confirm that Google Earth VR works with this?

Google Earth VR currently specifically looks for the Vive to the point where it even rejects an equally capable Rift with Touch, and a workout needs to be used. Beyond that, Google Earth VR makes use of motion controllers for movement and navigating menus. Even if you got the program running with this half-complete solution, it'd be a horrible experience.

Zalusithix

I'm desperate to play Accounting.

Will this work with Accounting?

No. Accounting absolutely requires roomscale with tracked controllers. Even 360 isn't good enough. This lacks any tracked controller support, and any level of spacial tracking, let alone roomscale.

Edit: The answer to pretty much every "Will this Vive specific game work?" is going to be no. All but a handful were designed for having tracked controllers, and the majority require having 360 tracking on top of that. Then you have those like Accounting that need roomscale.

LostDonkey

If they can get this working fully with camera support, the full shebang.

It will sell. The other options are at least double the price.

Glix

No. Accounting absolutely requires roomscale with tracked controllers. Even 360 isn't good enough. This lacks any tracked controller support, and any level of spacial tracking, let alone roomscale.

Edit: The answer to pretty much every "Will this Vive specific game work?" is going to be no. All but a handful were designed for having tracked controllers, and the majority require having 360 tracking on top of that. Then you have those like Accounting that need roomscale.

Thank you for the answer, I should have been more specific.

If they can get moves and the camera working it STILL wouldn't work because that wouldn't allow roomscale, if I am reading this all correctly. I guess that leads to two questions.

1. I guess someone could program some kind of multi camera scanning to enable roomscale, but that would be a long way off and difficult on the user end to set up.

2. Is there anything stopping me from just buying a Vive controller? Or do they somehow only work with the Vive headset?

Top Bottom