• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR now supports Steam VR

pfkas

Update: The lighthouse + wands works ok, but without positional tracking they exist in an odd space that doesn't represent where they actually are relative to the hmd. So, you need positional tracking for them to be of use. I've been playing with PSMoveService, a couple of pseyes and a psmove strapped to the side of the hmd and i've not had it all operational as it's quite fiddly and you need things in the right ports but I'm close.

Had a thought though, there is the Vive Tracker that is available now, for £99 for developers. I reckon I could strap that to the front of the HMD and feed the values from that into Trinus through FreePIE in the same way as PSMoveService currently does. That should solve everything, as it would all then be running off of lighthouse and not a mix of lighthouse and psmoveservice. Would be easier all round to run. I don't really have the funds right now to do it, but it is tempting.

pfkas

So, I've got a Vive tracker and strapped it to the front of the PSVR Hmd. Wrote a little console app that takes positional data from the tracker and feeds it to freepie which Trinus then uses. Works great.

Only problem now is the wands seem to have a different coordinate space than the faked hmd. I can read the positional data from the wands, it should just be a case of adjusting it to the hmd coordinate space and writing it back out. Not sure if that's possible at this stage.

Once I'm done I'll tidy up the code and stick it on github.

Zalusithix

So, I've got a Vive tracker and strapped it to the front of the PSVR Hmd. Wrote a little console app that takes positional data from the tracker and feeds it to freepie which Trinus then uses. Works great.

Only problem now is the wands seem to have a different coordinate space than the faked hmd. I can read the positional data from the wands, it should just be a case of adjusting it to the hmd coordinate space and writing it back out. Not sure if that's possible at this stage.

Once I'm done I'll tidy up the code and stick it on github.

If you're already passing the positional data from the tracker to feed the HMD position, it seems to me to make more sense to adjust the coordinate space of the HMD to the wands than the other way around.

I've got to ask though, between buying the Vive controllers, the lighthouses, the steam controller receivers, and now the tracker... How far removed are you from having just bought the Vive outright? It seems more like a hacking project of "can I do this" at this point than a way to actually save money.

it does support full (rotational) head-tracking

Honestly, that's all I ever wanted with VR, don't need motion controls. Let me control shooters and racers with controller, keyboard and mouse, wheel and just let me move my head around.

If Sony did some PC support for PSVR, I would buy one same day.

pfkas

If you're already passing the positional data from the tracker to feed the HMD position, it seems to me to make more sense to adjust the coordinate space of the HMD to the wands than the other way around.

I've got to ask though, between buying the Vive controllers, the lighthouses, the steam controller receivers, and now the tracker... How far removed are you from having just bought the Vive outright? It seems more like a hacking project of "can I do this" at this point than a way to actually save money.

I picked up the lighthouse+wands for £100 total from ebay, £30 for the dongles - the tracker was more expensive than I wanted as that was £100 on its own. I already had the PSVR so it was £230 on top to potentially turn it into a vive. But I get you. I do love a good hack :)

andrespi

So, I just ordered a psvr for my ps4 (with farpoint) and decided that I will try it also on my PC with this trinus psvr.

So if I understand correctly, osvr-compatible games, should already have 3d depth effect with trinus and a psvr? while instead non-vr games would need an additional software (like tridef) to have a depth effect, right? I'm really confused by this. Would i need tridef for every game to have 3d depth effect?

Anything else I should know before plugging it on my pc and try it? hopefully my psvr should arrive on monday by mail.

I'm totally fine using normal xbox 360 controllers, don't plan to use any motion controller

Zalusithix

Wow, recommend steam VR titles to give this a try?

Normally I'd say to check the Vive thread for any VR game recommendations on Steam, but that only works if you've got tracked controllers + 360 tracking at a minimum. For stuff that only uses the HMD and isn't already on PSVR, you'll be rather limited. Most PC VR games on Steam assume you'll have the capabilities of the Vive, and even Oculus funded games these days are making similar assumptions in regards to tracked controllers. Outside of a few cockpit type games, I'm not sure there is much to play. Here's a Steam search with the relevant tags to restrict it to seated games with controllers/KBM support.

DjRalford

Wow, recommend steam VR titles to give this a try?

Elite works quite well, being a cockpit based game, must admit first time i played ED using my PSVR i was blown away at how huge the planets were as you pass by, you don't get the same sense on a flat panel.

Top Bottom