• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valentine's Day Overwatch Dialog Confirms Mercy's Relationship

Chindogg

The Christmas comic basically confirmed it.

Yeah but there was an incredible amount of mental gymnastics by the Pharmercy shippers that it was only a friendly letter.

One a side note, I really like how Blizzard mentions Japan's Valentine's Day traditions through Genji and Hanzo's dialogue. Makes the game feel more global by respecting foreign traditions.

Doubt there will be a Valentine's "event", just voice lines referencing it at the start of games like the new year stuff.

bluexy

Ehh, that's pretty lame "evidence." Saying Genji offering chocolates to Mercy is evidence of a relationship, then immediately following it by showing Genji also offers chocolates to his brother?

Genji polyamorous confirmed?

Ym48pp.gif

Going down with the Pharah-Mercy ship.

vypek

Ehh, that's pretty lame "evidence." Saying Genji offering chocolates to Mercy is evidence of a relationship, then immediately following it by showing Genji also offers chocolates to his brother?

That was an offering? I thought Genji was just asking Hanzo if he got any.

who gets chocolate for "friends" only in the west? especially expensive chocolates?

also, genji was asking hanzo if he got any, which is in reference to the japanese tradition on valetine's

pharah x mercy is dead

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Sounds like an abusive relationship. Genji is always on the other side of the map spamming "I need healing" to his own Mercy while killing the other team's Mercy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought they mentioned there would be no Valentines Day or Easter event?

There's almost assuredly going to be a Lunar New Year event instead. These are presumably just time related dialog lines similar to how solar new year got voice lines about new year's resolutions without a specific event for it.

"Bu bu but they are just pen pals! Don't you keep in touch with your doctors at Christmas!?"

Yeah but there was an incredible amount of mental gymnastics by the Pharmercy shippers that it was only a friendly letter.

I loved to see the spin they're going to put on the voice lines.

One a side note, I really like how Blizzard mentions Japan's Valentine's Day traditions through Genji and Hanzo's dialogue. Makes the game feel more global by respecting foreign traditions.

If I'm not mistaken but in Japan don't females only give out chocolates?

Chindogg

Genji is Hanzo's brother, so that'd be incest as well.

In Japan, women give men chocolates. It can be seen as a status of popularity with women among the men. That's what Genji's referring to.

Correct!

Jawmuncher

Friends always give each other chocolates.
Don't you gives chocolates to your best friends and make out afterwards?

I'm out of the loop. I guess the internet wanted Pharah - Mercy to be a thing.

I thought that was only during a certain holiday. Then again, I'm basing this on like Persona games and other random Japanese things I've come across through the years.

Top Bottom