• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valentine's Day Overwatch Dialog Confirms Mercy's Relationship

kami_sama

Nooooooooooo, Pharmercy best ship!!!!!

Ah well, this is at least better than S76, Genji and Mercy are cute together.

Kurumi

Ym48pp.gif

Going down with the Pharah-Mercy ship.

I'll be joining you.

Azoor

As a huge Mercy fan, I am pretty okay with this.

From a story standpoint, her being with Genji makes far more sense than being with Pharah.

I like the vague (and totally overthought on my part) implication that Mercy's into Genji because she got the nice chocolate, but Genji's not so much into her because he got her normal chocolates and also because of different Japanese customs on Valentine's Day that I actually don't know anything about.

Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I’m so distressed right now I don’t know what to do. I didn’t mean to do that to my mom but I’m literally in shock from the leak tonight. I feel like I’m going to explode. Why the fucking fuck are they together? This can’t be happening. I’m having a fucking breakdown. I don’t want to believe Blizzard is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Pharmercy to be canon and fix this broken game. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn’t supposed to be like this, I thought they were trending well on tumblr???? This is so fucked.

ok but me actually because from a gameplay perspective gency is disgusting - i'm not going to heal you from across the map because you're """"flanking""" so pls stop flaming me! thanks!

DrArchon

Man, Blizzard has it out for Waypoint.

Can Genji eat chocolate? I don't know how much of his body is robot parts. Maybe it's the thought that counts.

Recall

Ehh, that's pretty lame "evidence." Saying Genji offering chocolates to Mercy is evidence of a relationship, then immediately following it by showing Genji also offers chocolates to his brother?

Genji polyamorous confirmed?

People like chocolates.

mollipen

Oh look, the Gency/Emergenji/whatever the hell they call themselves folks are once again trying to prove that their ship is canon. What a surprise.

First, Blizzard specifically said that there is no Valentine's Day event.

Jeff Kaplan on Blizzard forums said:
We do have some VERY cool stuff planned for next year.

To clarify without spoiling surprises:

We are *NOT* planning a Valentines or Easter event.

So yes, you can expect cool events. But just to manage expectations Valentines and Easter are not those events.

So, there's that, which throws into question what these voice lines might actually be for, or if they're even related to Valentine's Day. Maybe the characters will get some voice lines or whatever through a non-event update, maybe they won't.

Second, we already know that Mercy and Genji are friends—that's not in question. And, because of that, any single interaction between them that could simply them being friends is suddenly brought up as OMG THEY'RE OTP PHARMERCY IS DEAD!

The reason that this might not be the proof some people want is because:

If I'm not mistaken but in Japan don't females only give out chocolates?

Yes and no. That's true for Valentine's Day itself, but not true for the full "Valentine's Day". As Wikipedia puts it, Valentine's Day in Japan (and some other Asian countries) is a day "observed by girls and women presenting chocolate gifts (either store-bought or handmade), usually to boys or men, as an expression of love, courtesy, or social obligation."

And then, we come to White Day, which is March 14th. On that day, "the reverse happens: men who received a honmei-choco ('chocolate of love') or giri-choco ('courtesy chocolate') on Valentine's Day are expected to return the favor by giving gifts."

As someone who has lived in Japan through both of those days, I've seen it in action with my own eyes. There's some amount of pressure on women to give chocolates to all of the guys in their lives, even at times when they don't necessarily want to. I'm not saying that's the case with Genji, but given that he's Japanese, Mercy could simply know his home country's tradition and thus gives chocolate to someone she considers a friend. Then, because it's simply customary to return the gift in his country—and, again, because they're friends—Genji gives some back to Mercy.

Giving candy to people for Valentine's Day beyond just your direct love interest isn't an unusual thing even outside of Asian.

And let's then look at the line "perhaps you could share them with me". You wouldn't say that to someone you're in a relationship with, because that would be the expected outcome. It could be something that'd you say to someone that you're interested in, but there's no hint of awkwardness or hesitation on Genji's part, so it could just as easily be one friend offering to share the gift with another.

So, again, to recap: Gency is still not confirmed, Pharmercy is still not dead (no matter the people who wish it were), more context is needed for voice lines such as these to know their exact meaning.

Seraphic

Neo Member
I don't really get it. It's like:
Genji: *gets turned into a living weapon by a necromancer lady, spends years reconciling with himself afterwards because his body was altered so much*
Genji: wow Doctor lady you're cute!

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't really get it. It's like:
Genji: *gets turned into a living weapon by a necromancer lady, spends years reconciling with himself afterwards because his body was altered so much*
Genji: wow Doctor lady you're cute!
It's a game with a talking space gorilla

Top Bottom